Trying to Break 100

Grenaded a few holes on both 9s to post a 99 😑

Grenaded a few holes on both 9s to post a 99 😑
I feel your pain, was not a good day for me. But that is golf, she is a cruel mistress sometimes.

I feel your pain, was not a good day for me. But that is golf, she is a cruel mistress sometimes.

Outside of those holes, I hit some nice shots...it was a fun round, tho

Got out for yet another craptastic score in the 90s (92) and I'm so f***ing sick of playing in the wind I could vomit. The last three times out the wind has been blowing steady in the 20s with up to 35-40 mph gusts. It's better than no golf at all but I'm absolutely over it,

Well there is one course open very close to me. It’s craptapstic and overpriced but open . Might have to settle it’s been about 4 months since I’ve played .

Well there is one course open very close to me. It’s craptapstic and overpriced but open . Might have to settle it’s been about 4 months since I’ve played .
At some point it gets kinda like being in the bar at 2:00 am. - sometimes you gotta lower your standards to get what you want. :ROFLMAO:

Hoping tomorrow will be the day after rebuilding the swing over winter, new putter and getting new irons about 2 months ago.

I played last Friday and shot a 103 with (4) holes hitting 8-10 with penalties. (6) penalties the hole round with 2 on one hole. That was first round with the new set. Overall it was a good round minus some drives and some short game faults.

Hit the range this evening and 80% of my hits felt good. Cross my fingers for the morning.

Got out for yet another craptastic score in the 90s (92) and I'm so f***ing sick of playing in the wind I could vomit. The last three times out the wind has been blowing steady in the 20s with up to 35-40 mph gusts. It's better than no golf at all but I'm absolutely over it,
I feel your pain. We've finally gotten calm days the last couple rounds, but before that it was like a month straight of fighting the wind.

Now that I have broken 100 the last 3 out of 4 rounds, I am trying to consistently stay under 95 closer to 90. Golf goals can be a challenge. I was too fatigued on my last round which was a 101 as I had two nasty holes that destructed on me and I had three possible birdies that turned into 2 and 3 putts. Oh the shame of it all o_O

Now that I have broken 100 the last 3 out of 4 rounds, I am trying to consistently stay under 95 closer to 90. Golf goals can be a challenge. I was too fatigued on my last round which was a 101 as I had two nasty holes that destructed on me and I had three possible birdies that turned into 2 and 3 putts. Oh the shame of it all o_O
I remember when I was still consistently shooting in the 100s, I told a friend (better golfer) that I'd be perfectly happy if I could just shoot consistent bogey golf. He said "No you won't". I said I really would, and he said "No, because once you're routinely shooting around 90, you'll be frustrated that you didn't get in the 80s. Once you're consistently shooting in the high 80s, you'll be frustrated that you didn't break 85. Once you're shooting below 85, you'll be frustrated that you can't break 80. It never ends."

He was right, of course. I've pretty much been at the point that I feel good about any score below 90, but I shot an 86 yesterday and just went "meh" after the round, thinking about all the stupid strokes I left out there. I've broken 80 once, and I was livid last week when I shot an 81 because it was one blow-up hole that kept me from doing it again.

I got nothin’. Thinking abut going to the exec course and see if I can maybe try a full bag tester. Saturday.

Playing today at a course I only played once before and if I remember it was challenging. Let me see if I can get under that golden triple digit today. 100 or not it will still be awesome!

I remember when I was still consistently shooting in the 100s, I told a friend (better golfer) that I'd be perfectly happy if I could just shoot consistent bogey golf. He said "No you won't". I said I really would, and he said "No, because once you're routinely shooting around 90, you'll be frustrated that you didn't get in the 80s. Once you're consistently shooting in the high 80s, you'll be frustrated that you didn't break 85. Once you're shooting below 85, you'll be frustrated that you can't break 80. It never ends."

He was right, of course. I've pretty much been at the point that I feel good about any score below 90, but I shot an 86 yesterday and just went "meh" after the round, thinking about all the stupid strokes I left out there. I've broken 80 once, and I was livid last week when I shot an 81 because it was one blow-up hole that kept me from doing it again.

yeah, I thought I'd be happier when I was breaking 100 60-70% of the time and it's just not the case :(...not that i'm giving it any extra effort but breaking 95 consistently is the goal now...I think my buddies are happy with my improvement during the 7 months I've been playing, tho. ;)

yeah, I thought I'd be happier when I was breaking 100 60-70% of the time and it's just not the case :(...not that i'm giving it any extra effort but breaking 95 consistently is the goal now...I think my buddies are happy with my improvement during the 7 months I've been playing, tho. ;)
I am definitely happy I am playing in the 90s now. I am sure we always would like to do better.

Snuck out to a closed course today and shot 100 for a differential of 30. Pretty poor golf even by my standard, but I never got terribly frustrated. Dropped a couple f-bombs but no club throwing.

Pretty much every part of the game was off. I don't think it was my normal crappy game... at least I hope it hasn't gotten that bad. Could not control the driver slice to save my life. Tried using the 5w on a couple holes but that didn't go well either.

The past week's outings yielded a 99 and a 98.
Baby steps.

I feel low nineties is in reach. Just need to be a bit more focused on keeping a couple of specific bad habits at bay and get a lucky bounce or two.

Started out thinking this was going to be one of those days. Couldn't hit worth a darn. Two balls in the water, one into the woods, three putting, pitching sideways. 57 on the front. ready to pick up and head home. Buddies were joking around, so I stayed. Heaven opened up and showed me how life could be. My swing was almost perfect every shot. 5 pars in a row, almost every green reached in regulation. 3 over for the back - a 38. My best half round in decades. What can I do to repeat?

Started out thinking this was going to be one of those days. Couldn't hit worth a darn. Two balls in the water, one into the woods, three putting, pitching sideways. 57 on the front. ready to pick up and head home. Buddies were joking around, so I stayed. Heaven opened up and showed me how life could be. My swing was almost perfect every shot. 5 pars in a row, almost every green reached in regulation. 3 over for the back - a 38. My best half round in decades. What can I do to repeat?

That 38 is awesome stuff!

I had a similar (but less impressive) tale of two sides yesterday.

57 on the front. I mishit nearly every iron shot. Shanks out of bounds, topped balls that advanced 80 yards at a time, I just couldn't make good contact. Making the turn I stopped at the practice area and asked my playing partner (who knows my swing/progress better than anyone) to watch me hit a few balls from different angles. He spotted the issue quickly. Bad posture with lots of tension in shoulders and arms.

I relaxed into a better posture with a bit more balance and began to make contact consistently.
Shot 45 on the back.

It also probably helped that I no longer "cared" about the score as I'd blown the front nine. I played worry free on the back and took aggressive angles on a few holes with nothing to lose.
Finding that whisky flask in my bag on hole 11 may have helped a bit as well.
😋

Played my best score ever today, 46/45: 91, including 3 penalties. 31 putts. So I was able to save a lot of strokes with short game and putting. Last scores on the same course have been 115 and 107. Nothing over d-bogey. Secret incredients for this score:

1) Relax and swing away
2) Don't sweat about one miss
3) Feel the chip shots
4) Feel the putts

Played with a full bag, thriver was money (best drive 230yd), Pw was money (most chip shot within 3 feet of the flag), putter was golden (several 1-putts 10yd range). The rest, nothing outstanding, but steady bogey golf.

Rewarded myself with two home made sriracha hot dogs and a beer.

Shot my lowest nine hole score of 41 yesterday and it included 5 consecutive pars.
The back nine was a different story, but I shot a good overall score for me, and I found some good things to key on.

Question for some of the more experienced:
Is it OK to have a steeper downswing angle with my irons than I have with my woods?
I find it much easier to "hit down on the ball" and make consistent contact with my 6i-wedges if I stay a little bit steeper than the plane I take with Driver/3W/3H.

Last edited:
Question for some of the more experienced:
Is it OK to have a steeper downswing angle with my irons than I have with my woods?
I find it much easier to "hit down on the ball" and make consistent contact with my 6i-wedges if I stay a little bit steeper than the plane I take with Driver/3W/3H.
IMO, it's more than OK, it's almost mandatory. (y)

Higher up the bag I go, the sweepier my swing gets, although ball position handles a lot of that too. The only caveat is not to overdo it on the 9i-LW, if you go too steep and fat it, that's nicht gute.

BTW - mega jealous some of you are still getting out. I'm just "foam balls into a bucket" in the garden.

For those of you who do get out, just imagine that the flagstick and the cup are petri dishes of no-good-ness, just for safety's sake.

Yesterday was my fifth (I think) game under 100, barely with a 98, which I am overall pleased with. Still too many small mistakes I need to get to work on.

BTW - mega jealous some of you are still getting out. I'm just "foam balls into a bucket" in the garden.

For those of you who do get out, just imagine that the flagstick and the cup are petri dishes of no-good-ness, just for safety's sake.
Yup, same here

Chipping net in the garden and puttout mat with the pressure putt trainer in the dining room

Can't wait to get out on the course again

Sadly I’m a new member of this thread. My goal is to break 100. I’m currently attoricous off the tees and I can’t chip a ball to save my life. It is pretty much impossible to score if you can’t do those two things. It’s tough to get to a range to practice full swings so I think I’ll focus on short game for a bit.

Back