All three of us take a ten.
We agree to not keep score.
I think I dropped a sweet 150.

First 18 of the new season.
The course opens with a par five.
All three of us take a ten.
We agree to not keep score.
I think I dropped a sweet 150.
Smart, strategic way to start the season - leaving yourself plenty of room for improvement! :LOL:(y)

49/49...inconsistent driver...semi consistent irons and chipping.

Smart, strategic way to start the season - leaving yourself plenty of room for improvement! :LOL:(y)
I’m all about the progress!

Shot my lowest nine hole score of 41 yesterday and it included 5 consecutive pars.
The back nine was a different story, but I shot a good overall score for me, and I found some good things to key on.
Question for some of the more experienced:
Is it OK to have a steeper downswing angle with my irons than I have with my woods?
I find it much easier to "hit down on the ball" and make consistent contact with my 6i-wedges if I stay a little bit steeper than the plane I take with Driver/3W/3H.
Definitely. Driver should be an upward swing, irons should be a downward swing.

My last 4 full rounds played have been 96, 101, esc 105, esc 101. I’ve reached the point where there is no point playing more until I find practice time. Unfortunately I’ve already paid to play in a tourney Saturday.

the kisner video about chipping has really helped with my chipping.
Completely agree, it was great. It’s become mental for me, I’ve got the chipping yips. I’m thinking about buying one of those specialty clubs where you just putt. But my pride is in the way, I’m not willing to go there yet.

Completely agree, it was great. It’s become mental for me, I’ve got the chipping yips. I’m thinking about buying one of those specialty clubs where you just putt. But my pride is in the way, I’m not willing to go there yet.

my buddies ask how I got so much better and I explained what Kiz said and how it seemed odd to execute but it works to a tee (see what I did there?)…the two guys we played with today were pretty amazed at the chips I made so there has to be something to it.

49/49...inconsistent driver...semi consistent irons and chipping.
Soooo, tell me how you feel when poster on this board say that golf is to easy and no skill is required to shoot under par. According to some all you have to do is purchase a new driver and you will magically hit the ball 300 yards down the middle..LOL! Golf is hard.

Soooo, tell me how you feel when poster on this board say that golf is to easy and no skill is required to shoot under par....
People here say that?

Long time since my last post. Home course opened up a week ago , with some corona restrictions. Since it has been easter and a lot of days off from work l managed to play three rounds. Quite rusty and scoring 107-115. Yesterday was horrible. There was a struggle all day. Quite windy. 11 m/s equals 25 mph. Never played in so strong wind before. My usually thrusted lieutenant (ping 4 hybrid) was nowhere near the sweet spot. And bunker play a mess. Concluded it is only possible to improve next l am out.

Strange indeed to see myself posting again. I guess your courses are closed right now. Hope they will let you out and play golf soon.
Another round today and it turned out to be good. Shot 97. There was also two birdies in there. Highlight was chip in birdie from outside the green on 10. Putting was good, even though I left some short of the hole. Warmer weather is coming in, so the course is getting better fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am beginning to like the warmer weather, and so is my game. 6 of 8 rounds under 100. High 102, low 95. New (to me) irons seem to be the difference. I finally have the bag I was fitted to back last spring. But it is great to have roll in the fairway again.

For the first time in a long while I finally broke 100. 44/46-90. 11/14 FIR. I spent the week practicing chipping every day and it paid off in that I had zero chunked or skulled chips. That is major, as this has really been a problem. I am happy.

Last edited:
Played yesterday in another two club wind and stunk the joint up. I rallied a little bit after a horrible start (double, triple, double) to card an uneventful 95. My irons were a wreck. I booked a round for today at a par 61 executive course. I have GOT to get this iron play back in the wheelhouse. It's, typically, the one part of may game that I can lean on and it's been a mess for more than a month. Going to hit the range about an hour before my round and see if I can grind something out. This business of not being able to practice all week and playing once a weekend is wreaking hell on all the progress I made last year to the point that I'm regressing. I hate that.

Shot a 99 for a differential of 33. Not only could I not hit a green in regulation today, I had trouble getting on the green at par. Made a few nice putts and lag putting was better than usual.

I played for the first time in weeks Monday. Shot a 52, so not good. I think I was swinging too hard & opening up my shoulders & lots ob balls were hit way left.

A couple of encouraging results, though. I hit a few really nice shots with my mid irons. One 7 iron in particular was super high (over a tree that was between me and the fairway - yeah, I hit the drive way left). I lasered the distance at 140, but hit it 20 yards over the green. I could feel that I really hit it well, but still, that extra distance was unexpected. Happened once or twice with my 5 iron too.

If I can get some practice in, this extra distance thing might be fun!

I've touched my clubs exactly zero times since two weeks ago. I'm not expecting much from this season.

I've touched my clubs exactly zero times since two weeks ago. I'm not expecting much from this season.
You need a vacation to a warm sunny place.

I've never had any luck with a 3W. Took it out of my bag 2 years ago, I just couldn't get it to do anything. As a last gasp try to get more fairway yardage I picked up a Callaway Epic Flash during the recent pre-owned sale. Been working it on the range over the last couple of weeks and saw definite improvement. Last night at the on course clinic was the first time I used it on the course. I'm pretty proud of myself. We only scrambled for 4 holes, and I only got to use it 3 times, but each shot did exactly what I wanted. It may have earned a place in my bag after all.

I've never had any luck with a 3W. Took it out of my bag 2 years ago, I just couldn't get it to do anything. As a last gasp try to get more fairway yardage I picked up a Callaway Epic Flash during the recent pre-owned sale. Been working it on the range over the last couple of weeks and saw definite improvement. Last night at the on course clinic was the first time I used it on the course. I'm pretty proud of myself. We only scrambled for 4 holes, and I only got to use it 3 times, but each shot did exactly what I wanted. It may have earned a place in my bag after all.
Me and my 3 wood are in a constant battle, but I am going to figure out how to win it! Everybody says simply hit it like an iron...I have yet to figure out what that really means. :cool:

Everybody says simply hit it like an iron...I have yet to figure out what that really means.
Sweep it across the turf. Longer so play it forward of center stance, but not quite to your inside of left foot. Not much of a downward strike like an iron, but just a hint of downward angle . Easy peasy right?

Sweep it across the turf. Longer so play it forward of center stance, but not quite to your inside of left foot. Not much of a downward strike like an iron, but just a hint of downward angle . Easy peasy right?
Yeah, easy peasy, I think. Doing better with it, but still need to do a lot of grinding. I am getting the idea of how different it is with the sweeping motion which to me really makes the difference. I just have to make sure I repeat that instead of wacking the top of it.

For some reason I feel I need to pull my left arm slightly with it - my brain tries to make me do that for some weird reason. At least the last time I was out, I would say I hit it decent probably 3 of the 5 times I used it.

Back