Trying to Break 100

Yeah, easy peasy, I think. Doing better with it, but still need to do a lot of grinding. I am getting the idea of how different it is with the sweeping motion which to me really makes the difference. I just have to make sure I repeat that instead of wacking the top of it.

For some reason I feel I need to pull my left arm slightly with it - my brain tries to make me do that for some weird reason. At least the last time I was out, I would say I hit it decent probably 3 of the 5 times I used it.
Good way to practice it is use a tee at the range. Get good at hitting it off the tee, then start playing it off the turf more. That will help with the motion a bit.

Sweep it across the turf. Longer so play it forward of center stance, but not quite to your inside of left foot. Not much of a downward strike like an iron, but just a hint of downward angle . Easy peasy right?

Oh, golf, what other endeavor has teachers instructing diametrically opposite approaches to the same thing? Oy.

Now my rant is over, I have found that I'm getting a bit of success with a 3W (which I refused to carry for YEARS) by lining the ball up in near the same position as my driver. (Note that this is primarily off mats in a dome.)

Oh, golf, what other endeavor has teachers instructing diametrically opposite approaches to the same thing? Oy.

Now my rant is over, I have found that I'm getting a bit of success with a 3W (which I refused to carry for YEARS) by lining the ball up in near the same position as my driver. (Note that this is primarily off mats in a dome.)
I forgot I was supposed to put more maths in there for you. :LOL:

I forgot I was supposed to put more maths in there for you. :LOL:
Do not enrage Ham during a time of plague.

Anyway, the comment wasn't directed at you, but the galaxy of teaching pros out there (in media) where 33% say it's like hitting an iron, 33% say it's sort of like hitting an iron, and 33% that say it's a sweeping shot. for the life of me, I can't figure out why this is. In baseball, there is a swing. In hockey there is a slap shot, etc. I've not heard of coaches in those sports having opposing views on how to do them.

Do not enrage Ham during a time of plague.

Anyway, the comment wasn't directed at you, but the galaxy of teaching pros out there (in media) where 33% say it's like hitting an iron, 33% say it's sort of like hitting an iron, and 33% that say it's a sweeping shot. for the life of me, I can't figure out why this is. In baseball, there is a swing. In hockey there is a slap shot, etc. I've not heard of coaches in those sports having opposing views on how to do them.
There are many ways to swing in golf and yet one thing works for one person and another for the next. When it all boils down it is still swinging a club at a stationary object which means club face at impact needs to be "on the money" for lack of a better term :cool:

There are many ways to swing in golf and yet one thing works for one person and another for the next. When it all boils down it is still swinging a club at a stationary object which means club face at impact needs to be "on the money" for lack of a better term :cool:
True. My comment was mainly for the teaching of different, markedly so, swings for the 3W.

I resolved my FW problems by selling 3W and installing shorter shaft to my 5W. Plays like hybrid, hits like FW. I hit that beast the same distance as my driver/thriver. Life is too short for bad behaving clubs. Ditch them or hit them against the ball until they learn their lesson, ugh :D

I resolved my FW problems by selling 3W and installing shorter shaft to my 5W. Plays like hybrid, hits like FW. I hit that beast the same distance as my driver/thriver. Life is too short for bad behaving clubs. Ditch them or hit them against the ball until they learn their lesson, ugh :D
Curious as to what shaft length you wound up with on your 5 wood?

For my 3W, what works for me is placing the ball about one ball width back from my driver placement. Overall I've also slowed down my backswing with a slight lag at the top.

Curious as to what shaft length you wound up with on your 5 wood?
The shaft is the F6 Baffler shaft so it plays at 41.75" instead of original 42.75"

First 18 of the new season.
The course opens with a par five.
All three of us take a ten.
We agree to not keep score.
I think I dropped a sweet 150.

I played 18 today and put up a sweet 115. Walked with my clicgear, but it was still tiring. I'm so out of shape right now. Swearing game was on point though.

Swearing game was on point though.

So it's not just me? Hmmmm.:unsure: Maybe I should re-think the whole walking away from the game idea I've been entertaining.

My favorite closing statement to any YouTube instruction is "do this one move and I guarantee your scores will drop". It used to irk me, now I'm disappointed if they don't say it. I mean, how can I possibly risk taking advice if there's no guarantee?

Played 9 holes in 100° weather. Way too crowded for comfort though. A lot of people don’t seem to care about social distancing. I can’t take that kind of chance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I remember when I was still consistently shooting in the 100s, I told a friend (better golfer) that I'd be perfectly happy if I could just shoot consistent bogey golf. He said "No you won't". I said I really would, and he said "No, because once you're routinely shooting around 90, you'll be frustrated that you didn't get in the 80s. Once you're consistently shooting in the high 80s, you'll be frustrated that you didn't break 85. Once you're shooting below 85, you'll be frustrated that you can't break 80. It never ends."

He was right, of course. I've pretty much been at the point that I feel good about any score below 90, but I shot an 86 yesterday and just went "meh" after the round, thinking about all the stupid strokes I left out there. I've broken 80 once, and I was livid last week when I shot an 81 because it was one blow-up hole that kept me from doing it again.
+++100% on this.
Last year I consistently played around 105 and decided I needed help since I previously played in the mid 80"s about 15 years ago before taking 6 - 7 years off golf to fish.
Got back into it, bought all new equipment to take advantage of new tech and still got stuck in the 100 - 105 groove. Decided to get lessons at Golftec and the instructor asked what my goal was. I told him at my age (68) I would be happy playing bogey golf. he agreed it was a good goal and commenced to rebuild my swing. I was starting to show some promise and along came the China Plague, putting a halt to the lessons.
Building on what I had learned things got a little better and all of the sudden about two weeks ago the bottom dropped out and I shot a 112. Decided to focus harder and my last three rounds were 101- 96 and 90. Gee, I hit my goal! Was I happy, hell no. I sat back and thought about the two holes that kept me from an 88.
And so it never ends. However I do think that is the path to getting better and remind myself that I'm still not too old to get better.

I remember when I was still consistently shooting in the 100s, I told a friend (better golfer) that I'd be perfectly happy if I could just shoot consistent bogey golf. He said "No you won't". I said I really would, and he said "No, because once you're routinely shooting around 90, you'll be frustrated that you didn't get in the 80s. Once you're consistently shooting in the high 80s, you'll be frustrated that you didn't break 85. Once you're shooting below 85, you'll be frustrated that you can't break 80. It never ends."
I think there's a lot of truth to this, but it depends on the individual. While enjoyable, I don't get too excited about a low-scoring round because it's exactly that, a low-scoring round. It's not a trend or a turning of the corner.

After years of this I'm finally seeing the writing on the wall in perfect clarity. While swing mechanics, strategy, and the mental part of the game are factors, the single, most important aspect is ability. My game is no longer frustrating, it's simply predictable. If I spent thousands of dollars on lessons, practiced my ass off dedicating all my free time to it, played a couple rounds per week, etc., I'd still have no chance of getting to the level of bogey golf simply due to a lack of ability. This is different than those who play at my level but are unable or choose not to make that kind of commitment.

If I woke up tomorrow and discovered the ability to maintain a HC at 18 with a reasonable amount of practice, I'd be satisfied. Of course there'd be frustration with poor shots and high scoring rounds, but I don't think I'd ever forget the last 9 years.

I shot a 106 today...and while I am unhappy with the score...i'm happy with the golf.

I played another 9 today. Much better weather and less crowded. But still not enough masks. I played with 2 other guys. One wore a mask but we all played at a safe distance from each other.
cffcfb5e1697ae6a8a2df64ec402945e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't really buy the not being happy with your scores as you get better thing. If I shoot less than 43 I'm ecstatic, 44-46 happy, 47-49 ok, 50+ disappointed. I averaged 46-47 last year so right on the verge of happy with the score. Getting to the point of breaking 50 consistently didn't come that easy and I haven't forgotten (2017).

Dave

I don't really buy the not being happy with your scores as you get better thing. If I shoot less than 43 I'm ecstatic, 44-46 happy, 47-49 ok, 50+ disappointed. I averaged 46-47 last year so right on the verge of happy with the score. Getting to the point of breaking 50 consistently didn't come that easy and I haven't forgotten (2017).

Dave
I guess it's an individual thing. As long as we're enjoying the game, it's all good. (y)

Dave
I guess it's an individual thing. As long as we're enjoying the game, it's all good. (y)
I would say it is all relative - for example, if I was to go out and shoot 90 I would be very unhappy with my round, whereas some people would be over the moon, but I play off 9, so shooting 90 is a very bad day for me

As you get better and start to score more lower scores consistently, the blow-up round is frustrating
Looking at the competition rounds (those that count for handicap purposes only here in the UK) I played last year, the worst score I had was 5 shots over my handicap so that would be mid 80 scores on the courses I played

After a 2 year absence for bad behavior I have a 3W back in my bag. I really need the fairway distance, so I picked up a pre-owned Epic Flash and spent a couple of range sessions and a lesson to see if I could make it work. Yesterday I played a round a my home course. The forward tees are 5176 yds. Well I had the best round ever on that course. My 3W was the hero of the day, straight and true with only a couple of misses and even those never got me into trouble. Driver was cooperating too. 11 out of 14 tee shots with my driver landed on the fairway and actually close to where I was aiming. Even with 2 one putts I didn't break 100 (close 104), but boy did it feel good. This is why I keep going back.

After a 2 year absence for bad behavior I have a 3W back in my bag. I really need the fairway distance, so I picked up a pre-owned Epic Flash and spent a couple of range sessions and a lesson to see if I could make it work. Yesterday I played a round a my home course. The forward tees are 5176 yds. Well I had the best round ever on that course. My 3W was the hero of the day, straight and true with only a couple of misses and even those never got me into trouble. Driver was cooperating too. 11 out of 14 tee shots with my driver landed on the fairway and actually close to where I was aiming. Even with 2 one putts I didn't break 100 (close 104), but boy did it feel good. This is why I keep going back.
That is awesome Mari, good for you. Glad to hear the 3W is working out for you. :twist:

haven't been around in a while but see some familiar faces in the breaking 100 thread....how's everyone doing? I have been dealing with a bum shoulder and not golfing a lot (well...and there was winter, too) the last year or maybe two years now. Anyway...going to play 9 after I log off work today....testing this shoulder out. If I can get thru 9 feeling good, we'll call it a win. Because I can't imagine my golf game is worth a damn right now.

Looking forward to hopefully being over the hump with this shoulder though...after working my way down to some rounds in the 90s (fairly consistent in the 90s) I'm sure I'll be well back above 100 for the time being.

Hope you're all staying safe and healthy.....

Okay made it through nine. The first swing on the first tee I could feel it in the shoulder. Then just started swinging easy and made it through with little to no pain. That was the good thing. The bad thing was I shot a 56. But getting accustomed to swinging a bit freely again and trusting my shoulder and that was the goal....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back