Trying to Break 100

Does anyone who regularly posts in this thread use graphite shafts on their irons? If so, what made you switch from steel?

I bought a custom set of no name irons with Aldila graphite shafts in 2006 and I never went back to steel after that. I wasn’t playing that much back then, but I thought I’d try them out. Light weight and no crazy vibration on mishits sold it for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does anyone who regularly posts in this thread use graphite shafts on their irons? If so, what made you switch from steel?
Absolutely. I moved to graphite some time ago. They are just as good performance wise as steel but feel much better to me and are definitely easier on the body.

Well friends, I think it is time for me to move up to the breaking 90 thread. Chipping can still be dicey (ugh!) but iron play and tee game have improved enough that breaking 100 isn’t an issue.

Well friends, I think it is time for me to move up to the breaking 90 thread. Chipping can still be dicey (ugh!) but iron play and tee game have improved enough that breaking 100 isn’t an issue.
Great work. My last two scores have been 91 and 90, if I get three more, that qualifies for consistent improvement and I will be joining you.

Glad to hear the game is rounding into form T4K!! Maybe we'll see you there!

Great work. My last two scores have been 91 and 90, if I get three more, that qualifies for consistent improvement and I will be joining you.
I don't see three more as any type of challenge for you. You've done the hard work and the reward is soon to be yours. You'll be missed.

Just as a follow up---I'll keep playing the TM irons for now, of course...I don't want to give up on them until I really game them for a full year-ish. My frequency of playing took a sharp downturn last year due to life just getting busy and then like I said...I had (I guess I still have) the shoulder thing. A lot of rest has the shoulder feeling better. I do recall when I first bought them, taking them to the range and immediately loving the loft of the shorter irons (say....8 thru PW) but then I was struggling a bit to get in a groove with the other clubs. I think I'd grown so accustomed to the Callaways I had been playing...there was a different feel and I think I mentioned the loft is slightly lower on the TM's, (I can't exactly recall how much).

All this said...I still have both sets of irons...the Callaway are retired to my spare bag in the garage for now. I do feel like I was making better contact this past weekend with the irons, though I'm certainly not seeing any real distance gains. Which I thought I would for sure...going from the Callaway to the TM (with a regular flex shaft - which fits my swing speed better).

Of course...I'm not able to much "oomph" into my swings right now...but I think that may pay off in the long run as I concentrate more on the swing and contact. It really keeps me under control with my swing when I have to take it easier. Been working through some swing thoughts this week at home...just kind of my set up/posture and so on...just working on that stuff in the living room at night...pretending to set up and then trying to get my body turn right.

So, long story short...I'm not sure I'm as high on the TM irons as a couple others who commented after my initial post regarding them...but...will give them a fair shake and see how this year goes. Maybe if I get back into a groove and start shooting in the 90's consistently again...I'll reward myself with a fitting and just see what the numbers say....

Nice work! Before I was derailed I was hoping to be working toward breaking 90's as well...was shooting mid to upper 90's pretty consistently. Hope to get back in that range this summer. Keep it up!

Just as a follow up---I'll keep playing the TM irons for now, of course...I don't want to give up on them until I really game them for a full year-ish. My frequency of playing took a sharp downturn last year due to life just getting busy and then like I said...I had (I guess I still have) the shoulder thing. A lot of rest has the shoulder feeling better. I do recall when I first bought them, taking them to the range and immediately loving the loft of the shorter irons (say....8 thru PW) but then I was struggling a bit to get in a groove with the other clubs. I think I'd grown so accustomed to the Callaways I had been playing...there was a different feel and I think I mentioned the loft is slightly lower on the TM's, (I can't exactly recall how much).

All this said...I still have both sets of irons...the Callaway are retired to my spare bag in the garage for now. I do feel like I was making better contact this past weekend with the irons, though I'm certainly not seeing any real distance gains. Which I thought I would for sure...going from the Callaway to the TM (with a regular flex shaft - which fits my swing speed better).

Of course...I'm not able to much "oomph" into my swings right now...but I think that may pay off in the long run as I concentrate more on the swing and contact. It really keeps me under control with my swing when I have to take it easier. Been working through some swing thoughts this week at home...just kind of my set up/posture and so on...just working on that stuff in the living room at night...pretending to set up and then trying to get my body turn right.

So, long story short...I'm not sure I'm as high on the TM irons as a couple others who commented after my initial post regarding them...but...will give them a fair shake and see how this year goes. Maybe if I get back into a groove and start shooting in the 90's consistently again...I'll reward myself with a fitting and just see what the numbers say....
Take it easy, give them time, play golf for the joy of a well-struck shot. Makes it simpler, and less of a force to drive you to boozin'.

I don't see three more as any type of challenge for you. You've done the hard work and the reward is soon to be yours. You'll be missed.
I might have to shoot over 100 once on a while deliberately to be able to write here as well :)

Played a new course yesterday: Shooting 50/52: 102. The course was quite difficult, it punished for my mistakes with penalty shots. Front nine most mostly bogey golf, except the narrow par 5s which resulted 9 and 7. Back nine a bit tougher. But a new course and a difficult one (CR/SLOPE: 73.2/139, my HCP is 22 and playing hcp was 29) I am happy with the score, knowing that eliminating those penalties (rushed tee shots) would have shaved 4-8 strokes. I still played to my handicap +1 so I cannot complain.

Played a new course yesterday: Shooting 50/52: 102. The course was quite difficult, it punished for my mistakes with penalty shots. Front nine most mostly bogey golf, except the narrow par 5s which resulted 9 and 7. Back nine a bit tougher. But a new course and a difficult one (CR/SLOPE: 73.2/139, my HCP is 22 and playing hcp was 29) I am happy with the score, knowing that eliminating those penalties (rushed tee shots) would have shaved 4-8 strokes. I still played to my handicap +1 so I cannot complain.
Sounds like a good round for a course that tough!

After not playing for almost 2 months, I hit the lynx yesterday. As the courses here in So. Cal are just starting to open up, I jumped at the first available chance which was 45 miles away. I have never played Rancho Vista before, so there was that challenge. I started off with my trusty 3 wood, just to make sure I hit the fairway. Boom, right down the middle. On succeeding holes, I pulled out my new EXS 220 driver, and almost all were bombs right down the middle. So my driver work was good, check. Next area to work on was my chipping. How best to describe this after no practice, I sucked. From around 65 yards out, I consistently hit it long. From 30 feet out, I consistently hit it short. Oh well, at least I can practice that in my back yard. Next was putting with my new TT putter. I hit one 20 footer, yay for me, and the rest were close, but no cigar. Lots of 2 putts, and a few 3 putts. So my first time back on a course that I have never played before, I was heading to high 90s until the unfortunate hole called 18. Who puts a pond at the end of a green with no lip? Remember when I said I was hitting long on 65 yards out, well, once again I hit the back of the green and the ball just rolled into the drink. It didn't get any better from there and I shot a snowman. Wrecked my score and I ended up shooting a 101. Not bad, but certainly not good. Now for the real bad, my aching bones. How did I do this before? Today will be a slow moving chill day for sure.

After not playing for almost 2 months, I hit the lynx yesterday. As the courses here in So. Cal are just starting to open up, I jumped at the first available chance which was 45 miles away. I have never played Rancho Vista before, so there was that challenge. I started off with my trusty 3 wood, just to make sure I hit the fairway. Boom, right down the middle. On succeeding holes, I pulled out my new EXS 220 driver, and almost all were bombs right down the middle. So my driver work was good, check. Next area to work on was my chipping. How best to describe this after no practice, I sucked. From around 65 yards out, I consistently hit it long. From 30 feet out, I consistently hit it short. Oh well, at least I can practice that in my back yard. Next was putting with my new TT putter. I hit one 20 footer, yay for me, and the rest were close, but no cigar. Lots of 2 putts, and a few 3 putts. So my first time back on a course that I have never played before, I was heading to high 90s until the unfortunate hole called 18. Who puts a pond at the end of a green with no lip? Remember when I said I was hitting long on 65 yards out, well, once again I hit the back of the green and the ball just rolled into the drink. It didn't get any better from there and I shot a snowman. Wrecked my score and I ended up shooting a 101. Not bad, but certainly not good. Now for the real bad, my aching bones. How did I do this before? Today will be a slow moving chill day for sure.
At least coming that close to breaking 100 after a two month layoff, on a course you've never played before, is a good start to your season. Once you knock the rust off your short game I'll bet those triple digits will disappear.

I've played twice since posting last.
Had a full round that was absolutely spoiled by terrible short game play. I think it was a 104. Mishit at least 8 chip shots and misread putts several times. Hitting a green in regulation was my only way to score bogey or better that day it seemed.

Then yesterday I got in a twilight nine and shot a 46 that included a chip in eagle on a par 5.
It was a risk/reward hole on which you can turn it from a 530 yd hole to a 480 yard hole if you play a long carry over water with your second shot.

The past month has yielded improvement off the tee for me and slightly more consistent hybrid play from the fairway on longer holes. Short game has been up and down and iron play is a work in progress that features too many pushes or pulls.

Biggest development for me has been dialing in a very consistent grip and allowing more lag in my downswing. This has helped me off the tee tremendously. Still firmly entrenched here in B100 land, but happy to see some players improving enough to seek new commiseration elsewhere in our community. Good luck, folks!

I had, quite possibly, the most frustrating round ever today. I was 19 over on the front. YES, 19 OVER AFTER 9 HOLES. I was, literally, ready to go home and sell my sticks. I have no idea what got into me on the back but I played it at 5 over for a total of 95. God I hate (love) this stupid f***ing game. View attachment 8941104

it's good that you bounced back on the back 9...in a big way.

Played another nine today...I think (knock on wood) my shoulder may be fine for golfing. So that's good. Still has some soreness during other activities and I can tweak it pretty easily, but golf doesn't seem to bother it. Lucky me. That said...my brain still thinks I'm going to hurt it so I'm favoring...just gotta get over that mental hump. Today I jumped on the third hole to get into the flow of traffic...which is a 200 yard par 3 that always eats my lunch. I never hit good tee shots...I think my mental game on that hole is just off...bad mojo. But I stepped up and ripped a ball off the tee that was probably the best tee shot I'd had in a while on that hole...good start. Then, however, the Driver came into play...and was just OFF for the most part. On my second hold I hit a pretty solid straight drive and then proceeded to spray it everywhere for the rest of the round. Until the ninth hole...I was like I know I can hit a good drive here...and I ripped a solid shot that left me a lob wedge out from green. Hit a nice lob up the hill that I thought stuck on the green, but it trickled off the back. Hit a nice chip to about 5 feet and sunk it for par. Other than that...largely played double bogey-ish golf.

My driver is honestly usually pretty straight...but today...it was right a LOT. I think I only hit two fairways. And I generally never go right - at least not so consistently. I guess chalk it up to a long layoff and the injury. Hopefully I can get my groove back off the tee and keep out of the rough....The wedges were working well today. Other than that...still struggling with the Rocketbladez. Weirdly seem to get zero power out of them (which I thought I'd see more than I had with the Callaways). I wonder if the shoulder has slowed my swing down...I never really had a ton of swing speed and I'm not a big hitter. I'm happy to drive it consistently 215-225 in the fairway. That's long enough for me...with occasional bigger shot (when I was playing a lot...I would hit some 250/260-ish here and there).

Considering gaming my Callaways for a round to just see what I do with them. I know the Rbladez are generally pretty well thought of...but everyone's different....maybe they are not for me. I dunno. I still don't want to give up on em...but I do think it'd be interesting to see how I'd hit if I dusted off the Callaways.

Right now that part of the game is killing me...but I'm trying to not hang my hat on scoring right now...more just playing and seeing if I stay pain free and working on getting some consistency back into the swing. I have driven it decent prior to today...and the wedges are working great. Seems like if I could just take the wedge mindset to the irons...I should hit the irons decently.

Played another nine today...I think (knock on wood) my shoulder may be fine for golfing. So that's good. Still has some soreness during other activities and I can tweak it pretty easily, but golf doesn't seem to bother it. Lucky me. That said...my brain still thinks I'm going to hurt it so I'm favoring...just gotta get over that mental hump. Today I jumped on the third hole to get into the flow of traffic...which is a 200 yard par 3 that always eats my lunch. I never hit good tee shots...I think my mental game on that hole is just off...bad mojo. But I stepped up and ripped a ball off the tee that was probably the best tee shot I'd had in a while on that hole...good start. Then, however, the Driver came into play...and was just OFF for the most part. On my second hold I hit a pretty solid straight drive and then proceeded to spray it everywhere for the rest of the round. Until the ninth hole...I was like I know I can hit a good drive here...and I ripped a solid shot that left me a lob wedge out from green. Hit a nice lob up the hill that I thought stuck on the green, but it trickled off the back. Hit a nice chip to about 5 feet and sunk it for par. Other than that...largely played double bogey-ish golf.

My driver is honestly usually pretty straight...but today...it was right a LOT. I think I only hit two fairways. And I generally never go right - at least not so consistently. I guess chalk it up to a long layoff and the injury. Hopefully I can get my groove back off the tee and keep out of the rough....The wedges were working well today. Other than that...still struggling with the Rocketbladez. Weirdly seem to get zero power out of them (which I thought I'd see more than I had with the Callaways). I wonder if the shoulder has slowed my swing down...I never really had a ton of swing speed and I'm not a big hitter. I'm happy to drive it consistently 215-225 in the fairway. That's long enough for me...with occasional bigger shot (when I was playing a lot...I would hit some 250/260-ish here and there).

Considering gaming my Callaways for a round to just see what I do with them. I know the Rbladez are generally pretty well thought of...but everyone's different....maybe they are not for me. I dunno. I still don't want to give up on em...but I do think it'd be interesting to see how I'd hit if I dusted off the Callaways.

Right now that part of the game is killing me...but I'm trying to not hang my hat on scoring right now...more just playing and seeing if I stay pain free and working on getting some consistency back into the swing. I have driven it decent prior to today...and the wedges are working great. Seems like if I could just take the wedge mindset to the irons...I should hit the irons decently.
Give that shoulder some time - even if it's healed, you're probably not at full strength yet. And give your mind some time to learn to trust it. The mind took me almost as long as the actual healing process itself, it's hard to not guard it and be afraid of pain. I'd be willing to bet the shoulder is at the root of your swing problems right now, I know it really affected mine until I finally got my strength back up and got my mind to quit worrying about it and doubting it.

Shake the rust off and swing within yourself, gradually work your way into realizing that it doesn't hurt, just enjoy playing and let things come back at their own pace. Game the Callaways if you want, play around with things and don't really focus on your score. I know that's hard to do (at least it was for me!), but you'll see the improvements start happening as your mind and body sync back up. (y)

Give that shoulder some time - even if it's healed, you're probably not at full strength yet. And give your mind some time to learn to trust it. The mind took me almost as long as the actual healing process itself, it's hard to not guard it and be afraid of pain. I'd be willing to bet the shoulder is at the root of your swing problems right now, I know it really affected mine until I finally got my strength back up and got my mind to quit worrying about it and doubting it.

Shake the rust off and swing within yourself, gradually work your way into realizing that it doesn't hurt, just enjoy playing and let things come back at their own pace. Game the Callaways if you want, play around with things and don't really focus on your score. I know that's hard to do (at least it was for me!), but you'll see the improvements start happening as your mind and body sync back up. (y)

I have played 9 four times now :) I have only really kept score a couple times, though I know in my head what my score is, even if I'm not tracking it. I'm just looking for good shots and good swing thoughts to build on those good ones. Just getting repetition will help so much.

And you are correct about all that - with the injury. I played a lot of soccer growing up (and still play in "old man" leagues) and have had many ankle and knee injuries (nothing too major, thankfully) but it always takes time to come back and get your mind to realize "I'm not going to hurt myself, I'm fine". I know I'm favoring it, still. My buddy was saying something one day about my shoulders in my swing and I was like "yeah I know - remember I'm hurt". So he saw something in my swing that was - I'm sure - to do with me being guarded with it.

I've been trying to just concentrate on relaxing at setup and trying to swing nice and easy...but where I"m playing there is some deceptively thick rough...so you get in there, and you're screwed (even with two good shoulders). Today with my driver being wild...it was not conducive to successful second shots, anyway.

Appreciate all the encouraging words in this thread...keeps me sane when I come here to vent about how bad I suck again (not that I every got that good, but I was definitely on an uptick). If I can play this summer without re-injury and keep finding my swing I'll be thrilled (it would be nice to add to that by consistently shooting in the 90's...but I won't get too greedy).

Played for the first time in Months this past weekend. New to me course. Built into a hillside so lots of elevation challenges,

The course requires a good bit of thought in terms of club selection, distance predictions and target landing areas.

I shot a 102. Not bad for being so rusty! I can recall one hole that I totally blew up because i made a bad shot decision on the approach and it cost me dearly. Could have broken 100 had I stopped to think before swinging away in frustration.

Played for the first time in Months this past weekend. New to me course. Built into a hillside so lots of elevation challenges,

The course requires a good bit of thought in terms of club selection, distance predictions and target landing areas.

I shot a 102. Not bad for being so rusty! I can recall one hole that I totally blew up because i made a bad shot decision on the approach and it cost me dearly. Could have broken 100 had I stopped to think before swinging away in frustration.
Not a bad round at all....new courses are always a challenge, and you still nearly broke 100 - sounds like a win.

I played again tonight in my work league and shot a 48.

The round started disastrously. The first 3 holes saw 4 tops and 1 thinned wedge OB. I was +8 after 3 holes and chances of breaking 50 appeared bleak.

#4 was a par 3 and I hit a good hybrid, putted off the fringe, and 2-putted for bogey. #5 was a par 5, I hit a monster drive by my standard, good 5 wood, pitch pulled left, chip, and 2-putt for another bogey. #6 hit a good drive, hit a good 8 iron but pulled the wrong club (short), chipped and 2-putt for bogey. #7 pulled my drive, hit a safe 7 iron from behind a tree, chipped, and 2-putt for bogey. #8 hit a bad 8 iron, excellent chip and par save. #9 good drive, 5 iron pulled left, excellent chip and par save. Ended up +12.

I'm not sure what my issues are with the tops, but I suspect it is not having my weight on my front foot at impact and not focusing on the front of the ball. The first top was a hybrid from a dreadful lie where I would have been better hacking it out and the last one from a fairway bunker with a dodgy stance. I have no excuses for the other two.

The other thing I need to practice is not pulling my irons/wedges.

I had 3 drives in excess of 220 yards which for me is bombing it.

Dave

Better feel, more shock absorption. I switched because of an elbow issue, and the pain after a round is gone now.
It is just a matter of trying different shafts to get the correct one for the ball flight you want and the weight you want

Like Snickerdog, I was having lots of elbow pain, and once I switched to graphite shafts the pain went away. Switching to Recoil shafts has seen more of a performance improvement issue. Clubs are longer and with tighter dispersion. If you can get fit by someone who has lots of shaft options, so they can get the optimal weight/stiffness/performance properties dialed in for you - I doubt you'll ever go back to steel.

Like Snickerdog, I was having lots of elbow pain, and once I switched to graphite shafts the pain went away. Switching to Recoil shafts has seen more of a performance improvement issue. Clubs are longer and with tighter dispersion. If you can get fit by someone who has lots of shaft options, so they can get the optimal weight/stiffness/performance properties dialed in for you - I doubt you'll ever go back to steel.

Good info. Part of my questioning from before was due to the fact that I'm not getting any younger (you guys mention elbow pain, for example). And already dealing with the shoulder and various other random aches and pains :) I'll be 45 this summer, so I'm not "old"...but I'm less limber, losing some athleticism - I coach high school age kids in soccer...and they were so excited when one kid overtook me in practice (finally...ha) so I'm like, well....it's happening - I'm slower, less agile, less flexible, and so on.

Anyway - point being...I'm sort of preemptively thinking if I go in for a fitting this year or next and have all the shaft options, etc, why not preemptively think about saving some wear an tear on my body? Main priority would just be getting properly fit and getting clubs that are set up for ME. But if I can shift to graphite and stop some aches/pains before they begin...might be worth getting into a setup I can play for the next however many years and not have to go back in 3-4 years and say "I'm thinking I want to re-shaft all these irons."

Anyway...sorry to make a short story long. :) But good info on graphite/recoil shafts there.

Back