Trying to Break 100

hit again last night with my new swing thoughts in mind...had some pretty good results again. Feel like I was getting off track a few times, but I could take a breath and reset and then started hitting solid shots again. Rainy weekend here...I think I found a range that's open with covered stalls, though, about 20 minutes from home. Probably going to try and hit there today again and maybe one more day this weekend before I go for my fitting Monday morning. If it clears up at all (looks like tomorrow may be the only day) I may go play nine in lieu of a range session and just try to apply these new thoughts to a round of golf...see what the results are like.

Ben and I walked eighteen today, made in just over three hours. I played about average, was happy that I didn’t have anything over a double bogey. Ben was testing a new driver, and was hitting a lot of hard hooks with the new head on the new shaft, and also when he switched it to his regular shaft. Pretty outside the norm for him. A good, moist day round.

Lessons paying off for Hamfist, hitting it better. Was hitting great pitch shots with the minor detail they were after a bad one. I sucked but had fun.

I played the local executive course today and shot 41/par 32. I was very pleased overall and this was easily my best golf outing of the season. I had 4 GIRs and converted each of them into pars. The balance of 5 holes were 3 bogeys, a double, and a quad.

I hit a 5 iron that landed about 1.5 foot from the pin and rolled to 10 feet away for my shot of the year so far! I just barely missed the birdie putt.

The chipping was truly god awful today. The holes where I missed GIRs I had 2, 2, 1, 3, and 3 chips/putts from off the green. There are strokes to be gained.

I feel like tonight is what golf is supposed to be.

Dave

I walked my first 9 holes after the lockdown on Tuesday. Ugh. I had ordered a 10 g weight from Ping for my G410 to replace the 14 g weight, but it hadn't come in yet, so I used my old Big Bertha.
1: Par 5: Crushed my first tee shot.... into the tall grass about 230 yds left of the fairway never to be seen again. Dropped on the fairway + 2 strokes at 210 (point of entry) per new USGA local rule. Crushed my 3W, duffed my GW, then put my 54 onto the green about 40 feet from the hole. 3 putted for a snowman.
2: Par 3: 156 yds plays as 143. 8i just barely missed the green left in the bunker. Chipped out onto the green. 2 putted. Bogey.
3. Par 4: Crushed driver left into the tall grass where it joined the ball I lost on the first hole. Dropped into the fairway +2 strokes. Crushed 5H pin high left. Chipped on. 3 putted for triple. 7.
4. Par 3: Shanked 9 iron into the tree. Duffed pitch. Duffed pitch. Putt chipped on. Holed out. DB.
5. Par 4: Hit a 3W Stinger off the tee but it didn't fade like I wanted and instead landed under a tree. Tried knockdown with GW. Duffed it. 58 flop onto green 15 feet. 2 putt. Bogey.
6. Par 4: Topped drive. Topped next shot. Topped next shot. Shanked next shot across the fairway. Missed green with flop shot. Putt chipped on. 2 putted. 8.
7. Par 4: Pulled hooked tee shot into the trees. Baptised second shot. Baptised third shot. Picked up.
8. Par 4: Pulled hooked drive into the trees again. Hit 5H. Shot went well until it caught the one branch that was sticking out. End result. 2 putted for 8.
9. Par 5: Driver. Got smart. Aimed for right rough. Ball ended up on the fairway about 230 yds down. But I figured out what I was doing.

See, I play a strong grip and cup my wrist at the top normally. I'd been playing a strong grip and either playing a flat or bowed wrist at the top which shuts the club face.

9 cont'd. So I had 205 yds to go... over water... and over a bunker. Smart play would be to lay up with an 8 iron. But my round was so bad, I decided to pull a 4H and go for it. 3 practice swings with the proper wrist. Hit it. Boom. High fade. Lands right of the green. Pin high. Pitch on with my 58. One putt. Birdie.

You guys think you suck? :ROFLMAO:

Played nine tonight. Thankfully the storms blew thru early. Went out and tried to use the stuff I’ve been working on. At times I got rushed and forgot to go thru my setup and routine. But overall - I hit the irons and wedges pretty solid. Driver was a little all over the place. Had a couple nice drives though. Hitting the fairway woods much better off the turf. The stuff I’m working on seems to help a great deal with that. Used the 3 wood off the tee on a long par 3 and just missed thegreen. Used it again on a par 4 dogleg where you want to the ball to sit in the turn. Had a good hit on it though pushed it just a bit.

Lob wedge was on fire from 70 in. On the second hole in fact I pitched onto the green with it (my third shot) and it was rolling rolling and on a good line and...dropped it for a birdie. Stuck a nice shot from 60 yards or so on another hole. On the 7th hole I was at about 70 yards and gave it a solid swing - stuck the ball about 8 feet or so from pin. Missed the putt....

Had no pars on the day but a birdie, a triple bogey (yuck! A penalty shot didn’t help), two doubles and the rest were bogeys. Shot a 48 on nine. Putting could have been better but long lag putts were good. Had 1.9 putts per hole. The chip in helped. It was all two putts and one disgusting three putt and then the chip-in hole of course had zero putts. Last time I played I think I had 3 one-putts. Putter is okay just needed to hit a putt or two today that just missed.

I think the swing is moving in the right direction. Had I drained a couple putts from 10-ish feet could have easily been a 45 I think.

Anyway. Feeling confident with the work on the swing and my brain this week. Probably gonna hit balls and grab a beer tomorrow with a buddy of mine and then take Sunday off before the iron fitting Monday.

Happy with my progress the last few weeks after a lay-off. And - best part - the shoulder is holding up nicely as well. Knock on wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This really has not been one of my goals as last year I was routinely in the 80’s. This year I pray to stay in the 90’s
Can’t get off the tee, hitting behind the iron shots.....

This really has not been one of my goals as last year I was routinely in the 80’s. This year I pray to stay in the 90’s
We welcome all to the B100 thread. I’m confident that it will be a short stay for you. You have the skills, you just need to work out some kinks.

You’ll get back there. In the meantime - enjoy slumming it in the 100 thread :)

Time to golf

Had my luckiest day playing golf yesterday. I was hitting to the right and long on a few holes with GOOD results. On the second hole, I hit it to the right, hit a tree and it bounced to the left 30 feet into the middle of the fairway. On the next hole, I hit a tree to the right, and it bounced back towards me, but in the middle of the fairway again. Still a ways from the green, so I pulled out my pitching wedge and smacked it pure, over the green, hit a tree, and it came back to within 5 feet of the pin. On the final hole, I landed on the green, but a long way from the pin. Took out my trusty Triple track putter and hit it way to hard. It hit the pin dead center, and bounced off ending up about 3 feet away. So, on a par 30 executive course, I shot a 33, my best ever. This proves, sometimes it is better to be lucky than good. o_O

Shot 47/53: 100 in a semi-difficult course in windy conditions. Shot +3 vs my playing handicap. Pretty satisfied, although lot of poofie shots. Still, sun was shining, it was relatively warm and we had good time. Driving was the highlight, approaches so-so and putting was off. Not dissappointed.

Shot 100 today in very tough windy conditions in the UK. Gusting upto 50mph but well above 30mph sustained. Let down by the front 9 shooting 56 😭. An 8 on the 1st hole was a terrible start. Back 9 much better with 2 pars 😁.
I know what you mean, we had the same up here in the north-east

Somehow I managed to shoot 85 so 4 shots over my handicap but it was tough in that wind, although I did kind of give up on trying to score at one point due to how strong it was gusting

I know what you mean, we had the same up here in the north-east

Somehow I managed to shoot 85 so 4 shots over my handicap but it was tough in that wind, although I did kind of give up on trying to score at one point due to how strong it was gusting

We are in North Lincolnshire so not too far away....

Played my home course this morning and shot a 97 and a differential of 26.1.

The first 9 went pretty well with a 47 with nothing higher than a double. Playing the second time through I shot an angry 50 as I struggled with a couple penalties on the first few holes. In addition to those, I had some issues chipping with my sand wedge. Been blading that club far too often the last couple of rounds. I miss my gap wedge. I guess if there's a silver lining, it's that the rest of the game was just good enough not to let the round get out of hand.

Shot of the day came off an approach of only 145yds, but I had to keep it very low to avoid branches. I gripped down on the 3h and hit a little punch trying to get it close to the green. The shot ran up and stopped hole high where I was able to 2-putt for par.

Played three rounds this week. Started on Tuesday at club tournament and scored 98. Struggled from the bunkers and left a few putts short. Otherwise it was solid. Thursday was another opportunity and I hit in to many hazards and scored 105. But today the putter was red hot. Only 30 putts for a season best of 95. Just hope I can keep up good play as the annual buddies tournament is coming up next weekend.

Played this morning and shot exactly 100. Mad at myself for the five triples. But otherwise it was a good day. Had a couple of pars and hit my approach shots well on the long par fours and par fives. Which I did not do the previous times I played this course. That was all possible because of my Maltby Tour TC 4 wood. My best club in the bag right now.

3c611d76d6a76e4e2ce597744fbb58d6.jpg

Played 9 yesterday morning at Myrtlewood Pine Hills. Nice course but they need to redo their cart paths. First time out with the new Heavenwood (Epic Flash), topped it a couple of times, but still got good distance out of it. New 5 iron (Mavrik Max women;s Lite) is really earning it's keep. Bunker practice is paying off got myself in 3 and they all came out on one shot and went close to where I was aiming. Absolutely gorgeous day if a little warm. Although the score wasn't great, it was a great day of golf.

Headed out in a few hours for a round that may be interrupted by rain. Fingers crossed.
Looks good for the front nine, but may not finish the back in a timely or dry fashion.

My last round was adversely affected by a severe inability to make good contact with my mid irons. Lots of errant approach shots, several o.b.
I'll be arriving early to find the fix on the range. I think I know where the issue is originating.

I shot a 45 on the front of this course fairly recently and I definitely won't match that if I can't sort out this issue.

Last edited:
Shot 100 today in very tough windy conditions in the UK. Gusting upto 50mph but well above 30mph sustained. Let down by the front 9 shooting 56 😭. An 8 on the 1st hole was a terrible start. Back 9 much better with 2 pars 😁.
I’ll give you a pass for the gale force wind conditions.

Back