Trying to Break 100

Went out for my first round of 2021 today, and I was definitely nervous. On the one hand, my recent lessons have gone really well and that has carried over to my range sessions. On the other hand, I last played a round five months ago, and my 2020 golf season ended horribly, leaving me with little confidence.

Happy to say that I played pretty well (for me) and shot a 96! Really need to work on chipping, as that part of my game cost me at least five strokes, but overall I couldn’t be happier with my first round of 2021. Last year I couldn’t hit my irons at all, often hitting 3-4 inches behind the ball. Today, not a single shot hit behind the ball!!! Granted my shots didn’t go where I wanted all the time, but still - definite progress was made. Even made five pars, and I had some great putts too.

Super stoked to keep taking lessons, practicing more, and having fun this year!
Good to know the lessons are paying off! Keep up the good work!

Went out for my first round of 2021 today, and I was definitely nervous. On the one hand, my recent lessons have gone really well and that has carried over to my range sessions. On the other hand, I last played a round five months ago, and my 2020 golf season ended horribly, leaving me with little confidence.

Happy to say that I played pretty well (for me) and shot a 96! Really need to work on chipping, as that part of my game cost me at least five strokes, but overall I couldn’t be happier with my first round of 2021. Last year I couldn’t hit my irons at all, often hitting 3-4 inches behind the ball. Today, not a single shot hit behind the ball!!! Granted my shots didn’t go where I wanted all the time, but still - definite progress was made. Even made five pars, and I had some great putts too.

Sounds like a great first round of the year!!! Having fun is the most important, good luck to a great year of golf for you.

I walked 18 holes 3 consecutive days & didn't hurt myself. I'm gonna count this as a big win.
Mon: my home course(Fox Den: par 71; 6029 from the whites) is not super-tough, but narrow in places: 47/47 for a 94.
Tue & Wed: Nearby course (Kent State golf team's home course) - Windmill Lakes (par 70; 6141 yards from the whites) is significantly harder. Par 4's average 15 yards longer, but the course just plays a lot longer than the score card indicates.
50/55 for 105 on Tue, and 46/56 for a 102 Wed.

The stupid thing is Fox Den has a slope rating of 119 vs 118 for Windmill Lakes. No effing way is Fox Den harder! For one thing, when I hit a good drive at Fox Den, I'm 8 iron or closer. When I hit my best drives at Windmill, I'm lucky to reach the 150 marker.

Anyway, other than no injuries & a lot of calories burned, I had some good things to build on:
1) I'm driving the ball farther & straighter than ever. Maybe 20-30 yards longer than last year. Weight loss & weight training is helping I guess.
2) I'm starting to get partial shots with wedges dialed in, distance-wise. I've already holed out from off the green 3 times this year (I don't think I did it at all last year. Most years past I haven't). And I hit several other shots from the 50-75 yard range to tap-in distance.

I just gotta figure out how to consistently hit at least mediocre mid irons & hybrids: the 130-180 yard range is killing my scores.
Jeff, this is great to hear!! We'll need to get together for a round or three this year.

Five pars is nothing to sneeze at!! Sounds like you've found a good groove for the ball contact. Never worry, the shots will go where you want them to soon enough.

Played my first round in 5 months last week and managed a 94. Probably the best I've played tee to green in years, but the chipping and putting was very rusty which is to be expected.
Well done!! Channeling Justin Rose!! Sorta. Lol.

Edit: Rose from yesterday, not today as it stands.

Last edited:
So, brother dropped off his Cobra Fly-Z 5-7 wood, and 3-4 wood last night. Have rounds scheduled for tomorrow and Sunday. I'm definitely bagging the 5-7, set to 17 degrees, to go with the 21.5 degree 7-wood, and pulling my current FW. We shall see how it goes. Tomorrow is a pretty flat course, not terribly difficult, and Sunday is a much hillier one, a good bit more difficult.

Tomorrow I'm playing with a good friend whose game had gone to pot. He was a pretty consistent mid-80's guy, but took a year off because his game started to go south fast. I'm going to try to help him if I can, but, like most of my friends, he won't listen to me, lol.

Sunday is a good friend who has always been, well, ungood. However this year, he's shown marked improvement. He bought a copy of Hogan's 5 rules, and is following it. I really hope he continues to get better. He's one of those guys who loves the game, but just stunk at it.

Just stopping by to see some progress by you duffers.....Hamfist - two rounds scheduled? Jealous.

The last time I was here I think I was having a mental meltdown. I'm still not sure I'm out of that yet. I have take a long step back and assessing a few things.

1. How good do I really need to be to enjoy golf? Not that good, really. I would like to shoot mid 90's. That's happiness for me.
2. How good can I expect to be when I take a long layoff from golf - I guess not very good at all, given my message board meltdown.
3. How much do I need to mess with what's in my bag?

The takeaways - I'm not far removed from consistently shooting mid to upper 90's. I'm not sure what's gone wrong with my swing, but I got there once, it's achievable again. If I can get back to that...and not just being a total embarassment...then I'm back where I want to be and can ideally enjoy this game for a long time to come.

I took a long layoff - and I need to get back out to the range and just keep swinging. I am not sure what happened, but the last session was brutal on every front. Even chipping. (well...putts were good). Practice in my case doesn't make perfect....but it helps a whole damn lot.

I think to the question on what's in the bag....I got caught up in the "this will probably make me better". It won't. Not really. It's the swing. Now...some equipment certainly FITS you better. The cobra one-lengths I got from Hamfist for example. Never hit irons better. But here's the thing with me...my biggest thing...I'm a creature of habit and analysis and overthinking.

So I'm going all the way back with driver to my old TM R9. I was smashing that club (well...I dunno about smashing...but I could hit it fairly straight and for solid distance). It works for me.

I have a great 7W.

I have irons I like

I have a decent set and a cheap-o set of wedges, both of which I can hit fairly well.

I can putt (usually).

I'm getting back to basics on equipment, on mindset, on what it means to enjoy the game and what level of "being good" Im' happy with. I'm never gonna shoot 80. But if I can shoot 90-100....I can have some fun.

Just stopping by to see some progress by you duffers.....Hamfist - two rounds scheduled? Jealous.

The last time I was here I think I was having a mental meltdown. I'm still not sure I'm out of that yet. I have take a long step back and assessing a few things.

1. How good do I really need to be to enjoy golf? Not that good, really. I would like to shoot mid 90's. That's happiness for me.
2. How good can I expect to be when I take a long layoff from golf - I guess not very good at all, given my message board meltdown.
3. How much do I need to mess with what's in my bag?

The takeaways - I'm not far removed from consistently shooting mid to upper 90's. I'm not sure what's gone wrong with my swing, but I got there once, it's achievable again. If I can get back to that...and not just being a total embarassment...then I'm back where I want to be and can ideally enjoy this game for a long time to come.

I took a long layoff - and I need to get back out to the range and just keep swinging. I am not sure what happened, but the last session was brutal on every front. Even chipping. (well...putts were good). Practice in my case doesn't make perfect....but it helps a whole damn lot.

I think to the question on what's in the bag....I got caught up in the "this will probably make me better". It won't. Not really. It's the swing. Now...some equipment certainly FITS you better. The cobra one-lengths I got from Hamfist for example. Never hit irons better. But here's the thing with me...my biggest thing...I'm a creature of habit and analysis and overthinking.

So I'm going all the way back with driver to my old TM R9. I was smashing that club (well...I dunno about smashing...but I could hit it fairly straight and for solid distance). It works for me.

I have a great 7W.

I have irons I like

I have a decent set and a cheap-o set of wedges, both of which I can hit fairly well.

I can putt (usually).

I'm getting back to basics on equipment, on mindset, on what it means to enjoy the game and what level of "being good" Im' happy with. I'm never gonna shoot 80. But if I can shoot 90-100....I can have some fun.
First things first. Dump that scorecard!! You will be shocked, shocked I tell you!! at how much more fun you have just hitting a ball without consequence. It frees you up to try fun new things, to revel in a decent shot, and to simply shrug off bad ones.

Let's be honest with each other. I know pretty much how good I am, and have a decent idea of how good I'm probably going to get. I think you are probably as self-aware as I, and know where you are going to be, practice or not. Accept it, and play for the joy of a well struck shot, however infrequent they may be. Enjoy the sun, enjoy the company, and drink an ass-load of booze.

Your Rx for happiness, right there.

Maybe Doctor Uncle Hammy can make a trek to Mo-ssouri for an in-person consultation.

First things first. Dump that scorecard!! You will be shocked, shocked I tell you!! at how much more fun you have just hitting a ball without consequence. It frees you up to try fun new things, to revel in a decent shot, and to simply shrug off bad ones.

Let's be honest with each other. I know pretty much how good I am, and have a decent idea of how good I'm probably going to get. I think you are probably as self-aware as I, and know where you are going to be, practice or not. Accept it, and play for the joy of a well struck shot, however infrequent they may be. Enjoy the sun, enjoy the company, and drink an ass-load of booze.

Your Rx for happiness, right there.

Maybe Doctor Uncle Hammy can make a trek to Mo-ssouri for an in-person consultation.
Bring it on...I'll feed you some good KC BBQ, get you some good local beer, and we can play some mediocre to terrible golf. :)

Yeah some of the most fun I've had in the last couple years was honestly going out in a foursome and playing 2v2 best ball. You get to hit a shot, and if it sucks, your partner probably hit a better one and you can enjoy that.

Part of me wants to just become Ty Webb and not keep score....so when someone asks me how I measure myself against other golfers, I can say, "by height."

Confirmed Hamfist sighting today. Going to go out on a limb and say he broke 100

First full 18 hole round since we can submit handicap scores. Overall it was a rough round; multiple OB/lost balls, way too many 3-putts, and a mini case of the shanks mid round. However through all of that I hit a 52/52 for 104.

I am stoked for this summer. If I can have an absolutely crap round and still come close to 100, a good to great round will carry personal best scores.

Spent 2h on the range yesterday, and got out today as well. Whacked a bucket off the range, struck the ball well.
Felt brave since i was almost alone at the club in questionable weather, and decided to take the chance to play a couple of holes while I'm not getting in anybodys way

Played a conservative first ball with 5w max off the tees, and some more to explore my options.
What can i say. Big mixed bag. Got a lot of mileage out of the 9 holes i played, that's certain.
* Was actually UP 3 balls through 4 holes. Proceeded to wash them down at a Par 3 with water short. 1 fat, dunked. 1 flush, through the green. 1 Club down for practice, waste 3 more balls unable to hit it properly o_O:LOL:
* Trees may be mostly air, but there's still tree in there. 5 out of 5 for going sideways or backwards for picking a fight with the trees i found myself close to. Punched out on two more occasions.
* Bunkers, yikes. No rakes allowed yet (multiple people touching stuff is a nono), so no bunker practice so far. Found 3 bunkers, took 5 shots in them :)
* Aerated, sanded greens are SLOW. Left things short, break almost nonexistant

Mission achieved. Had a blast and learned of a lot of nasty places to avoid in the future. Didn't take all that many shots on the first ball, either.
Feeling confident i can get my game in decent shape with 20 more days until May :)

I walked my home course this morning and shot a 55/45 solo practice round from mixed tees and no flags up (course isn't officially open yet).

The first time through the course was more of the struggle I've had in hitting irons and hybrids cleanly and/or online. Putting and the short game were fine. I did hit a couple drives OOB but this course is pretty tight with my lack of control with that club. Overall, it was still a day of above average driver control.

The second time through the course, all parts of the game started to click. Nothing spectacular - just solid golf. I had one blow up par 5 where I carded a 9, but was able to shoot bogeys and pars on the other 8. Knowing where the hole locations were the second time through helped, but it was really the ability to just hit straight-ish shots..

CaberfaePractice.png

Unfortunately, my distances are starting to come down across the bag. That's something I tried to consider today and with hole locations mostly in the back of the greens, pulling more club seemed to work out. I'm trying to build a game around the days when <200 yard drives are the rule not the exception. Those days might be closer than I'd hoped.

Bring it on...I'll feed you some good KC BBQ, get you some good local beer, and we can play some mediocre to terrible golf. :)

Yeah some of the most fun I've had in the last couple years was honestly going out in a foursome and playing 2v2 best ball. You get to hit a shot, and if it sucks, your partner probably hit a better one and you can enjoy that.

Part of me wants to just become Ty Webb and not keep score....so when someone asks me how I measure myself against other golfers, I can say, "by height."
If it’s by height, you win already. Also, I’m a vegetarian, so I don’t know if I’ll be allowed in the state. Now the local beer, I’m down like a clown. The darker the better.

Spent 2h on the range yesterday, and got out today as well. Whacked a bucket off the range, struck the ball well.
Felt brave since i was almost alone at the club in questionable weather, and decided to take the chance to play a couple of holes while I'm not getting in anybodys way

Played a conservative first ball with 5w max off the tees, and some more to explore my options.
What can i say. Big mixed bag. Got a lot of mileage out of the 9 holes i played, that's certain.
* Was actually UP 3 balls through 4 holes. Proceeded to wash them down at a Par 3 with water short. 1 fat, dunked. 1 flush, through the green. 1 Club down for practice, waste 3 more balls unable to hit it properly o_O:LOL:
* Trees may be mostly air, but there's still tree in there. 5 out of 5 for going sideways or backwards for picking a fight with the trees i found myself close to. Punched out on two more occasions.
* Bunkers, yikes. No rakes allowed yet (multiple people touching stuff is a nono), so no bunker practice so far. Found 3 bunkers, took 5 shots in them :)
* Aerated, sanded greens are SLOW. Left things short, break almost nonexistant

Mission achieved. Had a blast and learned of a lot of nasty places to avoid in the future. Didn't take all that many shots on the first ball, either.
Feeling confident i can get my game in decent shape with 20 more days until May :)
That’s great to hear! Having fun is the only goal.

I walked my home course this morning and shot a 55/45 solo practice round from mixed tees and no flags up (course isn't officially open yet).

The first time through the course was more of the struggle I've had in hitting irons and hybrids cleanly and/or online. Putting and the short game were fine. I did hit a couple drives OOB but this course is pretty tight with my lack of control with that club. Overall, it was still a day of above average driver control.

The second time through the course, all parts of the game started to click. Nothing spectacular - just solid golf. I had one blow up par 5 where I carded a 9, but was able to shoot bogeys and pars on the other 8. Knowing where the hole locations were the second time through helped, but it was really the ability to just hit straight-ish shots..

View attachment 9002266

Unfortunately, my distances are starting to come down across the bag. That's something I tried to consider today and with hole locations mostly in the back of the greens, pulling more club seemed to work out. I'm trying to build a game around the days when <200 yard drives are the rule not the exception. Those days might be closer than I'd hoped.
Nice! Keep plugging away, it’ll come.

98 today. First ever under 100. Go me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Right on! Great job! Buy yourself a beer for me.

So, the round today was really good. Well, the irons were really good, the putter was deadly, and the driver was “Ok”. Shot a “52” on the front. (I use quotations, for those who don’t know me, because my scoring system is pretty elastic.)
On the back it was better, but we forgot to keep score on 2 or 3 holes, so I’ll say it was a “46”. I was dropping darts with my set GW as my chipper/pitcher.

Congrats on a great round!!! Time to set a new goal of breaking 90.

Congrats! That first time feels so good, I’ll never forget mine.

Congrats! That first time feels so good, I’ll never forget mine.

I have mixed feelings if I’m honest! I hit so many bad shots but I guess the score is the score! No pictures on the score card as they say!

Congrats on a great round!!! Time to set a new goal of breaking 90.

Thanks Snickerdog
For how I played to get that 98 I can see 90 going this year. I didn’t play well (a fair few 30 yard duffed 5irons for example) but no blow up holes. If i sort the consistency of ball striking I think I’ll see decent improvement in scores!

Back