Trying to break 70 club?

All right this is going to be the year. I have shot under par for 9 holes multiple times, I consistently shoot in the mid to high 30's for 9 holes, my best 18 hole round is a 73 which I shot at a very difficult course I had never played that measured 6,800 yards. My weakness has always been the tee ball and putting it in the fairway but I am getting to the point where I am hitting about 50% of fairways. I know this is not great but it is much better than where I have been in the past. My mid-short irons is the strength of my game, my 100 and in distance control is consistent, my chipping needs some minor adjustments, and my putting is good enough... this is the year! I have to get past the mental hurdle of thinking about scoring rather than just playing smart/sensible golf. I am writing this post to hold myself accountable but any tips or strategies would be appreciated.

All right this is going to be the year. I have shot under par for 9 holes multiple times, I consistently shoot in the mid to high 30's for 9 holes, my best 18 hole round is a 73 which I shot at a very difficult course I had never played that measured 6,800 yards. My weakness has always been the tee ball and putting it in the fairway but I am getting to the point where I am hitting about 50% of fairways. I know this is not great but it is much better than where I have been in the past. My mid-short irons is the strength of my game, my 100 and in distance control is consistent, my chipping needs some minor adjustments, and my putting is good enough... this is the year! I have to get past the mental hurdle of thinking about scoring rather than just playing smart/sensible golf. I am writing this post to hold myself accountable but any tips or strategies would be appreciated.
I think the biggest hurdle for getting over the hump is to make those up and down pars. That's where a not squared away short game will bite you. I'm really ok with missing a green just a little because I have so much confidence in my chipping that I will leave myself a tap in 75% of the time.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Breaking 70 is going to be a bit harder this year as my new club is a par 73 and plays at least one shot harder than my old club. Lot’s of 34’s and 35’s for nine this year but my best round is 71 after 10 rounds played.

I think the biggest hurdle for getting over the hump is to make those up and down pars. That's where a not squared away short game will bite you. I'm really ok with missing a green just a little because I have so much confidence in my chipping that I will leave myself a tap in 75% of the time.

Ya this is an area that I am working on a lot when I get a chance to practice. I spend most of my practice time working on playing different types of shots around the green and trying to get them inside that magical 3-foot circle pros always talk about. Being able to get up and down from around the green and producing good lag putts from deep are crucial as I see it.
The other area as it relates to my driver is figuring out how to generate the one way miss. I really like playing what I call a butter fade off the tee because to me that is the easiest to replicate time after time. When I get into trouble is when I start to miss left because I am turning the club face over or simply hitting the dreaded straight ball when setup for a fade. I would rather overcook a fade than turn the ball over because I usually setup left so if it goes left, it goes way left.

Ya this is an area that I am working on a lot when I get a chance to practice. I spend most of my practice time working on playing different types of shots around the green and trying to get them inside that magical 3-foot circle pros always talk about. Being able to get up and down from around the green and producing good lag putts from deep are crucial as I see it.
The other area as it relates to my driver is figuring out how to generate the one way miss. I really like playing what I call a butter fade off the tee because to me that is the easiest to replicate time after time. When I get into trouble is when I start to miss left because I am turning the club face over or simply hitting the dreaded straight ball when setup for a fade. If I can develop a one way miss to the right I am happier with that than I am missing left.
Around the greens I use a modified putting stroke/chipping method using whatever lofted club will get the ball rolling on the green the quickest. It works exceptionally well and i usually hole out once a round. It keeps technique stupid simple and works well on any speed of greens.

I still struggle with the 9 holes myself. For me it’s all mental. Back in February I was -4 thru 9 and finished at +1. It gets to me somehow, but I’m trying to work on it.

Also, my home courses’ front 9 is easier than the back so periodically I will start on the back to throw my mind a curveball. I believe this has helped me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was exactly the same as you in having shot sup par 9's fairy often but my PB for 18 was +1, accomplished at least 5 times.

My tee game was also erratic but the season before in 2017, coupled with an equipment change to the Epic driver, I also changed my approach off the tee with driver.

Because I was always very accurate off the tee with hybrids and FWs before them, I decided to approach driver similarly. I moved my tee'd ball closer toward center. Rather than off the heel of my front foot, I split the difference between there and center. At address, I immediately felt more comfortable, a bit more upright, right shoulder lower of course but it felt more level and natural to me. This set up allowed me to finally succeed in shortening my backswing.

Overnight, I went from 40-50% fairways to 70-80%. I did lose some distance as my new set-up seemed to encourage a negative angle of attack but I happily traded some yardage for the short stuff.

I then hurt my back early that summer and was subsequently down for 7 months. Didn't know what to expect when/if I came back.

After breaking off the rust and working out the kinks, I found that my accuracy with driver remained. My scores began to tumble as my confidence soared.

Still, I was stuck on +1. Even went into 18 once at -2 only to come out of it at +2. Yeah, you read that right.

During one round, I cleared my mind of swing thoughts and results and any hope for results or breaks. I just demanded that I "play to your potential."

I repeated that to myself over and over, an internal record skipping all day long.

I shot -4.

I've since been sub par a couple more times, even par a few more. The physical part was the need to get healthy and HIT FAIRWAYS. The rest was all mental.

The moment when I stopped trying to be some version of a good golfer that I assumed I should strive to be, and just played within myself and demanded the best that I personally had to offer, results flowed.

You know that you have the game for a strong 18, you've already exhibited the ability over and over. Now find a way to unlock your mind to allow it to happen for you.

35-38.

With that said. Later fellas. Y’all enjoy breaking 70! I’m jumping back to Trying to Break 80 thread. Haha!

35-38.

With that said. Later fellas. Y’all enjoy breaking 70! I’m jumping back to Trying to Break 80 thread. Haha!

Don’t give up! The bad rounds are still going to happen.

I shot 66 a few Saturdays ago and the very next day, on the same course I shot 75....

Don’t give up! The bad rounds are still going to happen.

I shot 66 a few Saturdays ago and the very next day, on the same course I shot 75....

Haha thanks man but that round was just everything clicking and luck was on my side.

For example blading a 7iron on a 3rd shot Par 5 and still getting a GIR while running off with Par. Punch out shot that was supposed to be low ends up going thru trees unscathed. A birdie putt hit hard and it smacks the flagstick and drops in, if I miss the stick it goes off the green. Just had some breaks that day to go along with a great ball striking day.

I’ve broken 80 three times. I’m pretty much 82-93 when I tee it up.

Breaking 70 is nowhere near my thought process lol. Although one day it’d be nice to pretty much Par the entire round and mix in 4-5 birdies! Hah!

This is one of my goals for this year. My best score last year was a 71 and I was standing on the tee box of number 18 one under. It was a par 71 course. If I birdied the hole, I shot 69. Sadly, I bogeyed the hole trying to hit a killer drive and shot 71. If I had it to do over again, I would pull 3 wood, because it is a short hole and leave myself a wedge, hoping for a marketable birdie putt.

Haha thanks man but that round was just everything clicking and luck was on my side.

For example blading a 7iron on a 3rd shot Par 5 and still getting a GIR while running off with Par. Punch out shot that was supposed to be low ends up going thru trees unscathed. A birdie putt hit hard and it smacks the flagstick and drops in, if I miss the stick it goes off the green. Just had some breaks that day to go along with a great ball striking day.

I’ve broken 80 three times. I’m pretty much 82-93 when I tee it up.

Breaking 70 is nowhere near my thought process lol. Although one day it’d be nice to pretty much Par the entire round and mix in 4-5 birdies! Hah!

Every good round has a fortunate break to it.

Every tourney winner has at least one good break.

Low round career for me is 31 on 9 (league night and didn't have time to get the back in), 71 on 18 and 73 in tournament play. All on par 72 courses. The biggest improvement for me is holing putts consistently and keeping the tee ball on the short stuff.

Low round career for me is 31 on 9 (league night and didn't have time to get the back in), 71 on 18 and 73 in tournament play. All on par 72 courses. The biggest improvement for me is holing putts consistently and keeping the tee ball on the short stuff.

The last part of your statement couldn't be more true. Keeping the tee ball in the short stuff. Giving myself the opportunity to get the ball close to the hole with my 2nd shot is imperative. When my tee ball isn't working, anything close to 70 is a pipe dream. When the ball finds the fairway my confidence goes up and I know I have a chance.

:hello:

Hello thread!! It has been a few years since posting a sub 70 score in here and I'm happy to report that I can post in here again! Cowboys Golf Club. Was +2 after 7 and then proceeded to go -6 over the next 11 holes for a 68. Was a heck of a ride on that back 9! Played w/ cwmonroe and my Horseshoe Bay partner.

Hello thread!! It has been a few years since posting a sub 70 score in here and I'm happy to report that I can post in here again! Cowboys Golf Club. Was +2 after 7 and then proceeded to go -6 over the next 11 holes for a 68. Was a heck of a ride on that back 9! Played w/ cwmonroe and my Horseshoe Bay partner.
Was a great round! I can only imagine what could have been if some of those putts dropped on the first few holes.

Was a great round! I can only imagine what could have been if some of those putts dropped on the first few holes.

I just need you putting for me!! Thanks, it was fun watching shots/putts go where you want 'em. Doesn't happen often.

:clapp:

Great round, Nate! :clapp:

Heck yeah. You were in autopilot for the back 9.

Well done Nate!

I didn't realize I should be posting my sub 70 scores (like my "career" best -7 65 on June 4) in this thread! I've just been posting scores in the "What Did You Shoot Today" thread!

I didn't realize I should be posting my sub 70 scores (like my "career" best -7 65 on June 4) in this thread! I've just been posting scores in the "What Did You Shoot Today" thread!

You sir, are a man amongst boys! Well done!

You sir, are a man amongst boys! Well done!

Thanks! Certainly not the most difficult course to play but 6000 yards or so (and playing longer than that) at age 71 it offers its challenges.

Westridge right? That was my earlier post 70 round location. Fun course. Congrats!

Back