Trying to break 70 club?

I shot a 78 this weekend and broke 80!!! Oh wait, wrong forum.......

I'll never forget, on my wedding day, we went out and played golf before the big night. I was on fire and came to 18, 2 under par. I started thinking about it and snapped hooked my drive about 40 yrds into the trees. I doubled the hole and ended with a even par 71. LOL! I get about 4-5 rounds a year where I hover around even par, but really don't get into the red numbers. But I know where to come when I do!

Good Luck All!

My best score ever was a 71 on a par 72 here in town last November. I also have I par 70 course here in town that I should good numbers at if I can keep my game within myself. I'd say a 69 is a good possibility this year with as much work as I'm putting in.

been knocking on this door for too long. Some one please let me in!!

I've shot -2 (70) too many times to count

Last edited:
been knocking on this door for too long. Some one please let me in!!

Sorry, the door is automatic for some reason!

Just remembered the sickest sub-60 round I've had. Was during division play (club teams compete), me and another guy from our team shot a bogey free 68, -4. It was nuts, we played absolutely flawless golf. Only had one really sweaty par save from a plugged lie in a bunker where my partner sunk a 30 footer for par. We've shot sub-60 in foursomes before and after, but that round was incredible.

What's funny is that you'd probably expect him to be around my handicap given the scores we've posted, but he's a 4. We just have great chemistry, play a similar game and back up each other well. In no way is it me carrying the load, he saves my butt just as much.

I broke 70 just the other day. Best 9 holes I have played yet!

I have shot in the 60's quite a few times over the years but have not been in that number for 3 years now. The older I get (almost 47 now) the harder it gets. I just started a work out / flexibility program through the Titleist Performance Institute and hopefully this will help me out. Lately I seem to get a little tired physically and mentally around 14 holes. Last summer I had it 4 under through 13 and shot even which really p*ssed me off. My best round was in a tournament a few years back in which I shot 7 under 66.

I have worked very hard on my swing over the winter to hopefully improve my consistency and durability. My biggest issues in low rounds over the past few years is my driving. 2 or 3 wayward drives have killed me but so far this year I am driving the ball much better and hopefully once I get more and more rounds in the scores will continue to improve.

I can't even fathom having a bogey free round. I am way too combustible still for that. I get my share of birdies and bogeys to shoot decent scores. Two years ago I worked on eliminating big numbers, those lovely "others". Last year was no double bogeys and it made a big difference. This year I'll work to make no bogeys, but it may or may not be possible how I like to play. I'm an aggressive player and know I could probably shave a few stroked by backing off some, and am working on it.

Typing that made me remember that the 1st time I ever shot a 73 was the day I went out with a goal of aiming at the center of every green and never firing at a flag. Hmmmmmmmm..............

I can't even fathom having a bogey free round.

They are extremely rare. I think I've shot five of them, and I'm a guy who makes a lot of pars. A typical round is 2-3 birdies, 2-3 bogeys, rest pars.

I have yet to break this phantom number. I have come close way too many times that it's bound to happen. Shooting under par for 9 is no problem, do it alot. But getting two nines under is what I need to get.

Great topic, this has been haunting me for several years. 71 is my best from our blue tees (70.2/132 rating.) Weird round, 40-31, including 3 birdies and an eagle on the back nine.

I have a number of 72s from the blues and the golds 72.2/137 rating.) That extra two or three strokes are just teasing me. This winter I have posted a 74 and some 75s, 76s, and 77s which aren't too bad under winter conditions. I have scored 34 and 35 on both the front and back nines this year, it seems that sooner or later it will happen. Striking the ball has been good but at some point on most holes, I have to use a putter! Then the fun starts...

They are extremely rare. I think I've shot five of them, and I'm a guy who makes a lot of pars. A typical round is 2-3 birdies, 2-3 bogeys, rest pars.

Very rare indeed. One of the main things I'm working on this season is to stop going birdie-bogey. Why is that so much more frustrating than par-par?

Fired 3 rounds of 69 in the past week with the new sticks!
Finally have a + handicap, first time I've had a hcp below 1.

Congrats!!! I can't even dream of ever shooting that low. I'd be lucky to shoot sub 90!!!

wow thats awesome, I just want to break 90 this year, its been about 15 rounds going back to last year shooting over 90

Lowest round ever : 65 (-5) once
Lowest against par : 66 (-6) several courses
Lowest tournament round : 67
Lowest last year : 70 (3 times)

I always have the 60's as my goal, but in the past few years it has become a goal that just doesn't feel as reachable as it used to. I still have the length and the overall game to shoot in the 60's, but I simply don't play and especially don't practice enough to keep the 60's in easy reach. The key to shooting in the 60's again will be the chipping and trap play - if I increase my up-and-in percentage near where it used to be the 60's are possible.

Broke par once 71 on Par 72 (71.3/126 ) - hit about a 35' bomb on 18. Same course a month earlier I was (-3) at the turn but had a bad back 9 to finish with a 74. Looking to do it this year, a few times.... we'll see.

Excellent, great job Sevenfifty! For me my lowest round ever was a 67 on a par 71, which was pretty nice.I use to have 4-5 rounds a year in the high 60's but haven't had one in 4 years. That being said I missed the last 2 1/2 seasons with a major knee injury. I feel from approx. 16' off ladder while trying to install pipe. I tried a couple rounds last year and they had my old handicap of 2 in the computer so I went from a 2 to 10 then down to 7 and now I'm at 8. This year I hope to get 1 round in the 60's by season end as it will be my first season back full time in three years. I'll actually be happy if I get to a solid 3-4 this season then work from there!

Awesome job Sevenfifty! I went out for my first round last week and my friend shot 69 after not playing the course for 3 years. I'm hoping once I get my new sticks I start firing those type of rounds.

Oh I really hope to break 70 this year..... but likely won't happen. Just set my record low of 78 on Thursday. Working hard on putting to help with a few more birdies here and there though.

Congrats man! Nice going!

I have had two different subpar 9 hole rounds on back nines preceded by a 3 over and a 4 over on the front, I need to put two sub 9s together in the same round and I am in the under 70 crowd. That is my number one goal for this summer at least.

Its been awhile since I shot in the 60's. I say awhile because i play 3 times a week, but the last time was the last day of Jan. Which was bad because the LGA emailed updated index for the next month the next day. I shot 65 (35-30) that day. It was bogey free with 3 birdies and 2 eagles. The SeeMore was on fire that day, with the exception of #5 where I missed a kick in for birdie :-/ and I maybe missed 1 fairway all day. The front was nothing special (35) -1. I pared 10. Made about a 30 footer on 11 after a blocked iron. Knocked it in the leather on 12 for birdie. Eagled 13 which is a par 5... 2 hybrid to about 7 feet. 14 is a par 3 which I pared and got the greenie ($15.00). Pared 15. 16 is a par 5 island green. I hit a 3 iron to 12 feet below the hole and made the putt. I pared 17 which is a long par 3. 18 is the hardest hole on the course. Major OB potential. I hit a great drive and the approach was about 10 feet under the hole laying 2 for birdie. I nuked the putt 7 feet past the hole (I wanted 64 sooo bad and I made a big mistake). And I made the 7 foot down hill comebacker for 65. I had 2 Greenies and 4 Scats for about $150.00. I spent about 35.00 on beer for everyone. 65 is my lowest round and 30 is my lowest 9. Gave the ball and the card to my pops.

I have a bad feeling I will not be joining this club in 2011. :sad: I have had no time to work on my game like I need to!

This is definitely a goal for me this year. So far for high school golf, my last 3 tournament rounds I've had 4 birdies per round, I just need to eliminate those stupid holes. On monday I had 4 bogeys, 3 of which I missed a 2 foot putt for par, and also a double where I just got too aggressive off the tee and sprayed the ball. The course we play for districts this year is a short, but tough course, a real shot makers course. But I feel like I can break 70 fairly easy out there, and I see it multiple times before districts.

Oh and my low roud is even par, 72, multiple times.

This is definitely a goal for me this year. So far for high school golf, my last 3 tournament rounds I've had 4 birdies, I just need to eliminate those stupid holes. On monday I had 4 bogeys, 3 of which I missed a 2 foot putt for par, and also a double where I just got too aggressive off the tee and sprayed the ball. The course we play for districts this year is a short, but tough course, a real shot makers course. But I feel like I can break 70 fairly easy out there, and I see it multiple times before districts.

Oh and my low roud is even par, 72, multiple times.

Good luck 907!

Back