Trying to Break 80 Club

Shot a +1 for 9 holes yesterday playing from the forward tees with one of the beginner groups that J asked me to take out for her usual monthly event she organises

Trickiest part about yesterday was judging the wind as it was blowing fairly well all day
+1 from any tees is fantastic golf. Well done!

I had a chance today, the course I played has back to back par 3s, one playing 155 yards today and one playing 101 yards.

Put both shots inside 15 feet, but didn’t drop the putt. If one of those two goes in, I’m looking at a 79.

Haven’t broken 80 this year yet, but after a few years off, I’m happy where my game is and think I’ll break 80 soon.

Being that close after so much time away is really impressive.

After the first 6 holes today, I didn't even think I would be breaking 90!

The round started double, bogey, double, bogey, bogey, bogey, and when you are only getting 6 shots it makes the rest of the round a bit tough

Front 9 ended up being a 44, but somehow I pulled it back with a level par 36 on the back 9 to finish with 80

Frustrating, but at the same time pleasing after the start I got off to

Even 80 today. Started out 4/5 bogeys then had a nice stretch of 8 pars in a row. Just couldn't finish the round well.

Not really close with 41/41 today but I was +2 thru 6 and then thought about breaking 80, so you know what happens after that :LOL:

After the first 6 holes today, I didn't even think I would be breaking 90!

The round started double, bogey, double, bogey, bogey, bogey, and when you are only getting 6 shots it makes the rest of the round a bit tough

Front 9 ended up being a 44, but somehow I pulled it back with a level par 36 on the back 9 to finish with 80

Frustrating, but at the same time pleasing after the start I got off to
That is an incredible way to play the last 12 holes! Well done!

A solid weekend with an 83, 78, and 82. A few out of position shots and some sloppy greenside play added a few strokes but I am very happy with where I am. Keeping the ball in play off the tee and not lagging putts too much has helped immensely.

Only got to play 9 today, but shot +1 on the ”hard” 9. Boom!

Pulled it together with no penalties and putted well yesterday. Had to shoot a bogie on 18 to break 80. After announcing this to my friend, I proceeded to go OB and card a tipple for an 81. Still, a good round. Today was not. 8 penalty strokes off the tee for an 89. It's a funny game.

Only able to get another 9 in today. 4 bogeys and 2 birdies (both par 5s/3 shots); 38. With a nice Sandy par on 15, the #2 hcp hole.
I feel like I can easily break 40 for 9, but when I play 18, I shoot 41/42.
had to be mental/pressure. The game is there to hit greens.

36/39 today … was -1 thru 14 before a bit of choking … moved up a set of tees playing with my dad and a few of his buddies but still 6400 yards on the card … happy to break 80 regardless for the first time in a while.

Just discovered this thread. One of my goals this calendar year was to break 80 three times. My scoring average is 83.7, so this seemed like an ambitious but attainable goal.

I'm very happy to report that I've broken 80 four times, with a 77, 79, 74, and 77. The last two scores have come in the last 3 weeks, so I'm really happy with my game lately.

A solid weekend with better choices off the tee. I started to hit a 3w on a few holes but even that still put OB and red stakes into play. my 4h has been a better choice; better to hit a second shot from 220 than a third shot from the same distance. All rounds sub 85; 82, 83, 80, 83. Getting closer!

I think I'm ready to participate in this thread. I shot my 80 (my PB) in a mens league tourney last month. I went 40/40. I knew I was playing well for me, but didn't pay too much attention to the score. It was a shotgun start. We started on 16 and after we finished 9, one of the guys said I shot 40 for the 'front'. I told him I wasn't paying attention, just trying to stay in the moment of each shot. I was especially proud of it because it was in tournament conditions with 3 guys I'd never played with in the league. Oddly enough, my previous personal best was in tournament play - day one of our club championship. I always assumed my best scores would be playing with buddies in a casual round.

I feel like my game is ready to make that jump. Two books I read this year that really helped was 'Going Low' and 'The Four Foundations'. Going low really changed my overall mindset. For a lot of years I accepted being a 'bogey' golfer. And I'd look at an 85 as shooting (-5) for my level and think of it as a good day. The book was more about taking away those artificial restrictions.

Got out to play 9 holes last night after work and shot a 37 (par is 34 for the holes we played as the 9 finishes with a par 3 rather than the par 5 that our regular 9th hole is)

I am starting to see some results from my recent lesson, although that is causing me another issue in that I have been carrying greens with approach shots due to better strike - but that is a nice problem to have hitting the ball further than expected :ROFLMAO:

After the absolute rollercoaster that has been the last 12 months of golf, I finally broke 80 again with a 41/38 (79). July & early-August saw scores ranging from 85-99, carded two 80's in the past two weeks, and finally shot the 79 Sunday.

I knew I was hitting the ball decent, but never considered my scoring potential until one of the guys in the group said, "hey, you're shooting really well today" after the 16th. Front 9 saw 4 par/5 bogies & 17 putts. Back 9 saw 5 par/3 bogies/1 birdie (1/2 rotation short of a second birdie on 18) & 17 putts.

Very happy with the way I stuck my irons, most all round, but extremely pleased with the driver play after I switched out the Titleist TSi2 for my son's BB 815 Alpha and hit 12/14 FIR.

Last edited:
Back