Trying to Break 80 Club

Last round was another 80 and I was +3 in the last 2 holes...again! the 37 on the front should have made breaking 80 easy but I'm a consistent saboteur of myself this year. I think 5 out of my last 15 or so rounds have been 80 or 81. LOL

I feel your pain. At least 3 times I just needed a par on the last for a 78/79 and I have never managed it. Soon the season is over here, maybe I will be luckier next year with this.

This is the first time in 3 weeks I have been able to actually get into this forum. Every time I try from notifications, it goes all Window with the infinite spinning hourglass.

Anyhow, last round was 42/41 for 83 on the same course I shot 49/42 two days earlier. Play a much more difficult course tomorrow, but one I seem to score well on. We shall see what Monday brings.

Edit: Monday brought a dead car battery. Got it replaced, but too late to make the 9:20 tee time. Try again Wednesday. end edit

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Shot a 78 (par 73) on Saturday and then followed it up with a 77 (par 70) yesterday in a league match - game is definitely in a good place right now

Another sub-80 round for me today at my home course with a 78

That included 3 double bogeys and 2 birdies so could have been even lower

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

85 and 87 this weekend. Playing much better but when I blow up a hole it is just brutal. I have to get the doubles eliminated from the rounds and I will be close to breaking 80!

Finally broke the 80 barrier with 41/36 = 77 this morning. Just had a great time striking the ball and enjoying the guys I was playing with. The 36 on the back was a surprise until we tallied the scores and I had two bogeys, five pars and two birdies.

4b973129a5dae0efea4a649f1da4e3c3.jpg

Last edited:
So close today. I shot an 82 going double, double on the last 2 holes - great drives and disastrous approach shots - 1 ball plugged in the bunker and another one thinned into the water.

I guess I belong in this thread now. I'm a high 80s to low 90s player right now, with an 82 and an 84 this year.

I think I will be in this thread for a while, lol.

It's been a struggle for me the last couple of months. I think I have one or two 70s (looking at you Hammock Ocean Course) rounds in me before the year is out

I finally broke 80 again today. I shot a 78 from the tips. I could have gone really low if I was putting like yesterday. Man it feels good to have my game back.

Golf is such a fickle game, 81 was my best score for many years until this spring when I shot an 80. More recently, I shot 3 85s in a row at different courses, and then shot 99 two weeks ago shortly after a lesson and was thoroughly pissed.

Since then my practices have mostly felt like crap; I was damn near ready to give up the game after my practice Thursday night. Then Friday night something clicked, and today I finished birdie, birdie to shoot a 79. I can't tell you how happy I am, especially knowing I needed a bird on the last hole to get it.

Close to day 43/37=80 Bogeyed 18, needed that par.

It's fun reading all of your stories. Some of you guys are so focused on it. When it happened to me, I blew right through it and didn't even realize it, until after tallying up the scorecard after 18. It added up to a 76. I was pleasantly surprised! It was sort of weird too.... I didn't feel like I was playing all that great. I was making some bogeys and a few birds but no really bad holes, just sort of cruising along, just trying on every shot, to make it count.

A suggestion to you folks right on the cusp... maybe not think about your score during the round... just play each shot as if it really matters, with a determination to execute each one to the best of your ability.

You guys that are flirting with it, certainly can score in the 70's. When you get to this level, the game is about 90% mental anyway. Don't be obsessed with it during the round. Get mentally out of the way of it... and just let it happen. Worth a try, right?

Had a 94 today.

Awesome.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

87 on sat morning. I had a 41 on the front but to many doubles on the back for the 46. I did have a bird and 5 pars.

It's fun reading all of your stories. Some of you guys are so focused on it. When it happened to me, I blew right through it and didn't even realize it, until after tallying up the scorecard after 18. It added up to a 76. I was pleasantly surprised! It was sort of weird too.... I didn't feel like I was playing all that great. I was making some bogeys and a few birds but no really bad holes, just sort of cruising along, just trying on every shot, to make it count.

A suggestion to you folks right on the cusp... maybe not think about your score during the round... just play each shot as if it really matters, with a determination to execute each one to the best of your ability.

You guys that are flirting with it, certainly can score in the 70's. When you get to this level, the game is about 90% mental anyway. Don't be obsessed with it during the round. Get mentally out of the way of it... and just let it happen. Worth a try, right?

Well said Brassie.

Broke 80 in a big way again yesterday with a new personal best

37-37=74 (Par 72)

4 birdies, no doubles

Consistently in the lower 80's recently.

But have only one 79 in my last 10 rounds.

It is funny how close to success a 81 or 84 can be. And how much harder a 79 or 80 is.

Often feels like it's a mile and a half over the grand canyon to get to the promised land.
67d2d33c5169f9a34a191bc2a4a7c72a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

I've only broken 80 once years ago, but haven't done so since. I've hovered in the mid to high 80's ever since, but I don't play (11-12 times a year) or practice (none) to realistically have a good chance at improving drastically.

One thing I have learned lately is that keeping track of my score/fairways/putts in my Golfshot app is likely doing me more harm than good since I always know what my overall score is in relation to par after I input each hole's score. It's a mental thing for sure, but I wonder if I'd be better off just using the paper scorecard to jot them down and then enter them in the app post-round. I wonder how everybody else does it?

I was just thinking about this in my earlier post! I'm going to give that a shot and tally my overall score until post-round -- I've always tracked real-time through an app and it does affect my play throughout the round as I always know how good/bad i'm scoring.

I was just thinking about this in my earlier post! I'm going to give that a shot and tally my overall score until post-round -- I've always tracked real-time through an app and it does affect my play throughout the round as I always know how good/bad i'm scoring.
Yes, just write the score down for each hole on a traditional paper scorecard. Don't dwell on what your score is doing during the round, focus on getting the ball in the hole with as few shots as possible... on every hole. Like I said earlier, that particular round for me, was me just playing normal.. IIRC I had like 2 or 3 birds, some pars and quite a few bogeys but NO BIG numbers. I tallied it up after getting back to my cart after putting out on #18 and couldn't believe it!! I had to add it up twice to be sure I hadn't made an addition error. Pretty funny!! a 76, 4 over for the day, on a Fazio 135 slope country club course. It wasn't a hard course for south Florida standards but does have a couple of dandy holes... like #2, a 465 yd par 4 with a lot of trouble on it and a postage stamp sized green. #17 and #18 are fantastic holes also. Anyway, the point is, it was not a cream puff course. Two things, avoid making a big number. We all mishit shots but don't compound it with another bad shot... and don't dwell on what your running tally is for score... surprise yourself after #18. I know it works for me.

As a side note, one of my playing partners on this same course started out Eagle, Birdy, Eagle... 5 under with only 2 putts after the first 3 holes. We didn't talk about it. I'd just say Nice putt!! or Great hole out!! He went out in 29 and home in 35... a 64. Even though we didn't talk about it, he knew he had a special round going and he cooled off a bit on the inward 9 because of this awareness. At this level, golf is largely mental.

Tidy 76 today (39/37 +4) ... first time breaking 80 in like a year and a half, maybe longer. Had 2 eagle putts which isn’t normal for me.

After 14 putts and no 3-putts on the front, I of course had to have three 3-putts on the back including the par 5 18th. Doh!

Back