Trying to Break 80 Club

First round in three weeks tomorrow. Have not touched a club during that time, not by choice. Will see if the lay-off was beneficial or not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Two goals for 2020, hit more GIR and break 80 more often. I’m hovering in the mid to low 80’s and if I get my irons cleaned up it should be fairly easy.

Two goals for 2020, hit more GIR and break 80 more often. I’m hovering in the mid to low 80’s and if I get my irons cleaned up it should be fairly easy.
I have no doubt this will get done.

I shot a 77 at the weekend for the first time out in 2020

However, the course was playing a fair bit shorter and was probably around a par 65 due to some temporary tees and greens, so I don't really consider it a true breaking 80 score as I was a few shots over my handicap

In typical fashion I went 76 / 79/ 89 over the last 3 rounds, now the courses definitely made a difference as the 89 was a Course that has always played tough and it was in the 40's and played at 6,300. But I had chances to score and just did not make the putts or give myself many chances with GIR's

Was really close today with an 81. Really should have been able to with the 38 on the front, but made a bad bogey from 85 yards out on 10 and hit the water on 11 the par 3. Also missed 2 putts inside 5 feet on the back 9.

I left 7 short and I am talking 140 and in. I practice 100 and in a lot and even left those a bit short. I really think I am laying off because I think I will go long. I need to get that out of my head.
I was doing that as well. Heard on a video to club down until your putting em over more often then not. Seemed to work. Wind is another game.

I was doing that as well. Heard on a video to club down until your putting em over more often then not. Seemed to work. Wind is another game.

I might have to for example on Sat crush a drive 278 in the fairway with 115 left. Should be an easy PW and I come up a few yards short roll down the hill to the right and have to chip up lol. I should not be missing that shot.

I might have to for example on Sat crush a drive 278 in the fairway with 115 left. Should be an easy PW and I come up a few yards short roll down the hill to the right and have to chip up lol. I should not be missing that shot.
You’ll get it.

Well 2019 ended well and 2020 started even better.
Played a local course and managed to get round in 76 (+5) just before Christmas, then the final 2 rounds at my home club, it happened. Not once, but twice in a row! Even par! 72. Everything just clicked on both days.
The first was a solid 2 bogies on front 9 with 2 birdies on the back 9, the rest were obviously par.
Second time saw 4 bogies and 4 birdies, but the same result.
That rounded 2019 out in great style. First ever even par rounds.

First round of 2020 went even better. Played another local course. 1 bogey, 1 double bogey and 4 birdies. 1 under par! First time ever breaking par.

These were played in North East England so weather was cold and courses were damp so lift, clean and place was in play, but either way, you can only play the course in front of you can’t you.

May have to rethink 2020 goals as a level par round was one of them.

Happy New Year to you all and good luck with the golf year ahead.

Congrats on the great start to the year!

Last Friday it finally all came together for me and I broke 80 for the first time, shooting a 76 (37/39) on a par 71 course. That beat my previous PB of 82 by 6 shots! It was awesome. I just felt confident in almost every shot I took. I had some luck, of course, but mostly it was getting on in regulation and putting well.

I broke 80 twice last year, so far this year, I'm not even close with my best round being an 88 and worst a 94. It's been very wet but still...
I have a l o n g way to go.

Last Friday it finally all came together for me and I broke 80 for the first time, shooting a 76 (37/39) on a par 71 course. That beat my previous PB of 82 by 6 shots! It was awesome. I just felt confident in almost every shot I took. I had some luck, of course, but mostly it was getting on in regulation and putting well.
Congrats!!! It is an awesome feeling. It will happen more often now for you.

I broke 80 twice last year, so far this year, I'm not even close with my best round being an 88 and worst a 94. It's been very wet but still...
I have a l o n g way to go.
You will make it back there sir.

Shot 40 last week, giving me confidence I can break 80 a few times this year! Have only done it a couple times in my life. Trying to get to the next level this year, focusing on some range sessions and practice in between weekly league. I am going to track in depth stats this year such as # of putts, GIR, fairways missed and what directions, fairways hits and really do a deep dive and break down where I am losing strokes. I think this might help!

Shot 40 last week, giving me confidence I can break 80 a few times this year! Have only done it a couple times in my life. Trying to get to the next level this year, focusing on some range sessions and practice in between weekly league. I am going to track in depth stats this year such as # of putts, GIR, fairways missed and what directions, fairways hits and really do a deep dive and break down where I am losing strokes. I think this might help!
It is good to track those stats and it helps give you a general idea. Find the weakest part of your game and concentrate on it first. For me once I got my short game in order, ( 15 yards from the green and closer) then my scores really dropped. Putting was the second thing that got me there.
If you shot 40 on a 9, 80 is easily obtainable for you. (y)

Bumping this. Breaking 80 (did it a couple of times a few years back) and then more consistently scoring in the 70’s is one of my goals this year. Going back to the end of last year and so far this season I’m consistently shooting in the low 80’s. The bigger scores are non-existent but lower ones elude me. I need to drop just a few stokes. Given some of my bonkers shots, there is ample room to drop some strokes.

My previous best rounds were because I had days where ball striking was lights out. That was a strength that occasionally overcame a very weak short game back then.

Now my short game, with the exception of bunker play, has become the best part of my game. My ball striking, thanks golf, is all over the place. I went through a swing change over the winter and keep thinking it will turn around. :p

Playing Sunday and have my very focused and stubborn brain set on making this happen. I literally have no game plan for it however. This may take awhile. :cool:

Glad to see this thread bumped. Last year I shot consistently in the 80s, but only played 6 18 hole rounds. I even broke 90 at Cog Hill on Fathers Day last year. So even when I'm struggling, the huge scores aren't there. I need to clean up my shots around the green and putting to really get low and back into the 70s. Going to be tough with lack of practice and the new baby coming in July, but will be a worthwhile goal to go for.

I have had a good run here lately with 6 of last 8 breaking 80. Good start to the season, hope I can maintain that level.

I was only able to get 2 full rounds in before they shut down the golf courses. Usually coming out of winter break, I end up shooting high 80's until I get back into the swing of things ( pun intended ). This year, first two rounds out, 80 ( 40/40 ) and 78 ( 42/36 ), both on pool-noodle holes not the raised cup holes. Looks like the club changes, the work on the swing dynamics over the winter, and the fittings might have the effect I was hoping for. Now to wait until the courses open back up. Not enough data points yet to call it a success but the first 2 results look very promising. Just for comparison, my lowest round all last year was 77.

So breaking 80 was not originally one of my 2020 goals, but the last 3 weeks I've been swinging really well. I'm one of the fortunate few who's club is open for play currently, and have shot 2 rounds under 85 in last 3 rounds. As a result I've decided breaking 80 is reasonable for me this year, and I've added it to my list of goals.

My low round was an 82 with a few stupid strokes left out there, and not that many made putts. Can't wait to post as I've pursue this with y'all.

I played almost 9 holes in marginal snow melting conditions. It was good practice time. Afterwards hit the range, which was surprisingly open.

Epiphany. If I am going to break 80 and do it consistently, I have to figure out how to translate my range ball striking to the course. I was again all over the place on the course. On the range I am — please excuse the non PC self aggrandizing ego — a stud. People come and watch me hit. I don’t know what is wrong with me on the course. 🤬 I just don’t execute. I hit some very good shots but also plenty of pure junk. Not misses, junk. Pro tells me I should be a scratch golfer with how I hit. He only sees me on range. WTF am I doing? Lobotomy needed? Weakest playing golf mind ever? F@*#!

I shot a 77 at the weekend for the first time out in 2020

However, the course was playing a fair bit shorter and was probably around a par 65 due to some temporary tees and greens, so I don't really consider it a true breaking 80 score as I was a few shots over my handicap
So figure out why you were able to break 80 on that course and not on others, and work on the differences.

Frustration and hyperbole aside, playing 18 today. Changing my routine a bit with tips from my yogi wife and trying to relax. Putting too much pressure on myself.

Approach today. Put my old ping g400 max driver in the bag. I hit it vastly better than new Mavrik max (spin and hook city) and that takes some pressure off. Just need to avoid penalties, get out of evil bunkers in 1 shot (avoiding is better of course), and make a few better decisions on approach shots. Hard and awesome course. I’ve played it twice now and have a better feel for some of the risk-reward design elements. Will report in later today. Don’t expect much but looking for small progress.

Back