Trying to Break 80 Club

Frustration and hyperbole aside, playing 18 today. Changing my routine a bit with tips from my yogi wife and trying to relax. Putting too much pressure on myself.

Approach today. Put my old ping g400 max driver in the bag. I hit it vastly better than new Mavrik max (spin and hook city) and that takes some pressure off. Just need to avoid penalties, get out of evil bunkers in 1 shot (avoiding is better of course), and make a few better decisions on approach shots. Hard and awesome course. I’ve played it twice now and have a better feel for some of the risk-reward design elements. Will report in later today. Don’t expect much but looking for small progress.
Relax and you’ll do great today. Probably shoot 77. 🏌🏻‍♂️

Well went to the hardest course in Tucson this morning with @Wildcat4life @dunkjez and @MagicSpell for 18. I shot 89 with 7 pars and a birdie. The triple and four doubles hurt but this is not a forgiving course at all. Not sure why i have a great stretch of holes and then cant get off the tee on a par 3 lol. I do see the improvement in my overall game i just need to keep the mental mistakes down. Tuesday is the next round with these guys for my birthday so we shall see what happens.

Relax and you’ll do great today. Probably shoot 77. 🏌🏻‍♂️

You were just about spot on! 78 39/39. Thanks again for the encouragement. Total grinder today but stuck to my game and relaxed in the right ways. Stayed intense where needed.

One GIR front nine. Started with 3 bogeys. Scrambled and short gamed my butt off. 13 putts.

7 GIR back nine. Found my swing. Got greedy and rushed with some putts including a 3-putt par from 25 feet.:mad:

Going back to old driver was the right choice. Backed off and went for fairways and position. 11/14 fairways. Small distance loss was 100% worth the results.

This gives me great confidence. Tough course and conditions.
B8BA5B63-4B3C-4660-89CE-BEEFCE2F8A12.jpeg
8C087C4A-07D5-4FBA-BA28-EBBFE7347C31.jpeg

You were just about spot on! 78 39/39. Thanks again for the encouragement. Total grinder today but stuck to my game and relaxed in the right ways. Stayed intense where needed.

One GIR front nine. Started with 3 bogeys. Scrambled and short gamed my butt off. 13 putts.

7 GIR back nine. Found my swing. Got greedy and rushed with some putts including a 3-putt par from 25 feet.:mad:

Going back to old driver was the right choice. Backed off and went for fairways and position. 11/14 fairways. Small distance loss was 100% worth the results.

This gives me great confidence. Tough course and conditions.
View attachment 8938359
View attachment 8938360
Atta Boy!!!!! Love it. And that marker and divot tool is awesome!! :love:

did it today for the first time in awhile. 77 with a triple on a par 3. played from 6,400 in some wind. irons and putter saved me.

Playing my home course tomorrow. I always find ways to junk up rounds there. I regularly start slow and then over and over have struggled on 14,15,16. I have lost more balls and incurred more penalties on those three than any other holes. If I am going to shoot under 80 again, I have to play those better. The other challenge is that the greens are very hard to read. The course is built into the foothills of a mountain range with breaks influenced by both down valley and a side canyon. This is the only course where I hit putts that break the opposite of how I read it. Rating and slope are lower than the course I played Sunday, but this might just be a harder course for me. I will be happy with anything under 85. Game feels solid, and I always aim to play my best. Will see what happens tomorrow.

strategy: Start aggressive vs typical timid/cautious, trust my feet for breaks, and play 14,15,16 very conservatively. One or two over would be just fine on that threesome stretch.

39-45 for 84 today! I had 8 pars and a birdie. I just cant seem to shake having one hole be a triple.The wind was very strong for the back nine this aft. The work continues i will get under 80 this year!

strategy: Start aggressive vs typical timid/cautious, trust my feet for breaks, and play 14,15,16 very conservatively. One or two over would be just fine on that threesome stretch.

78 (40/38 +7, par 71). Started strong. Played well for the most part. Triple bogey on 16, one of my nemesis holes. Hooked a 4 iron into the lake. Right shot, wrong execution. 3 3-putts. 2 penalties. 2 birdies and missed a 3 foot birdie putt. This round was much more relaxing than my round the other day. Getting that one out of the way, on a far more challenging course, helps me shrug off poor shots and bad holes. I know I can put together a round. I can't overstate the value of that confidence. I think I can generally keep up these scores and with some cleanup shoot a bit lower. Having a blast.

78 (40/38 +7, par 71). Started strong. Played well for the most part. Triple bogey on 16, one of my nemesis holes. Hooked a 4 iron into the lake. Right shot, wrong execution. 3 3-putts. 2 penalties. 2 birdies and missed a 3 foot birdie putt. This round was much more relaxing than my round the other day. Getting that one out of the way, on a far more challenging course, helps me shrug off poor shots and bad holes. I know I can put together a round. I can't overstate the value of that confidence. I think I can generally keep up these scores and with some cleanup shoot a bit lower. Having a blast.
Great round!!!!

Trying to use arccos data this year. As I play more rounds the data does become more useful. Scoring distribution caught my eye. I need to reduce those bigger scores and push a few more bogeys to pars. If I want to keep my scores in the 70’s, that’s the path. Looking at the breakdown of shot type with hc rating, I need to clean up some errant tee shots (left) and improve approach consistency. Recent lesson should help both.

I will get in a couple of rounds this week.

8A4408EE-B3DE-4A77-8CB9-E3AFCD787DDA.jpeg

Last round played was on March 30. Not looking good for a couple of weeks still due to Wuhan gift and weather. Best guess is mid-May for restart.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forgot to post my round yesterday in here, 38/38=76
Followed that up with a 38/37=75 today.
Feels good to be playing consistently, but need to be able to do it on course outside of the home course.

I had my best chance to break 80 today. Missed two birdie putts and a couple of par putts that hit away from me. It was all speed and I’m confident on normal greens I’ll be sniffing high 70’s occasionally.

41/46 today for 87. I had a great day with the driver. Every drive I hit was playable and no where near being OB. I did have two 5 woods off the tee go OB today. My third OB was a 100 yard shot over some trees and a lake came up short and I should have used the gap wedge not the 54 Into the wind. I had a plan for chipping today to not leave any off the green Short. I did just that all of the practice is paying off.

I did hit 3 shots long today on the approach shots. I missed a few birdie putts and par putts. I was walking one in lol and I swear two inches out it went straight to the right 😂

Last 4 rounds under 80! 78, 78, 79, 75*. The 75 was over a couple of days (back nine 36 Sat, front 39 Mon night league) but I’m counting it. 🥳

My notes to self (because dummy me will forget):
  • Keeping driver in play is key - don’t need to keep up with young guns who played college golf
  • Chipping up and down is king - let bounce do its job
  • Smart approach shots. At 52% GIR, play tendencies and miss in right locations
  • Need to improve lag putting
  • Bad lies and breaks happen — let those go. grrr

Last 4 rounds under 80! 78, 78, 79, 75*. The 75 was over a couple of days (back nine 36 Sat, front 39 Mon night league) but I’m counting it. 🥳

My notes to self (because dummy me will forget):
  • Keeping driver in play is key - don’t need to keep up with young guns who played college golf
  • Chipping up and down is king - let bounce do its job
  • Smart approach shots. At 52% GIR, play tendencies and miss in right locations
  • Need to improve lag putting
  • Bad lies and breaks happen — let those go. grrr
That is awesome!!! You are playing great right now. Keep it up.

Finally got out for the first time yesterday. Rust showed as I shot a 43-45-88 on a short narrow Par 70 course. Basically, I was rubbish with every club except driver and putter. I did play the last four holes +1, so hopefully I can carry that momentum into the next round.

Looking at stats and thinking about where I need to improve to keep breaking 80. 135 holes of golf so far. .54 GIR, .53 FIR, 1.9 putts/hole, 0 rounds without a 3-putt, and so on. Some stats I don’t have like chipping ave distance to hole. I focus a lot on hitting more GIR, but right now the biggest stroke generators are chipping and putting. Chipping I have minimized those “oh no” misses but still need to get closer more often to have makable putts for an up and down. I’ve been tentative. I also need to think more about where I leave the putt. Putting is limited by missing reads and speed too often from longer distances. I need to spend more time walking around putts. Too often I hit a putt that goes the “wrong” way and as I walk up I then see the break I missed or under/over read.

ps. I think FIR is the least useful stat. I hit a lot of drives that are not fairway but plenty good enough. I am also considering counting fringe as gir. That would increase my number of 3-putts but that’s fair. Putt better GB. You can do this.

My goal is to regularly be posting in here this year! I’ve been flirting with an average round of 83 over the last year but I’d love to bring that down to 80 this year.

I broke 80 this past week with a 79. It took me being -1 on the last three holes to bring that home though so it was touch and go there for a while.

Played 12 holes today and it wasn't pretty. I didn't trust a single swing today which wasn't surprising at all after over 2+ years being away this time. I did hit one beauty of a shank that was Tin Cup worthy!

Smoothest 49 you ever saw on the front.

I know what I need to work on so all is good.

It was great to get out and walk, and I basically had the course to myself until hole 11 so I jumped over to 18 and played in from there.

Looking at stats and thinking about where I need to improve to keep breaking 80. 135 holes of golf so far. .54 GIR, .53 FIR, 1.9 putts/hole, 0 rounds without a 3-putt, and so on. Some stats I don’t have like chipping ave distance to hole. I focus a lot on hitting more GIR, but right now the biggest stroke generators are chipping and putting. Chipping I have minimized those “oh no” misses but still need to get closer more often to have makable putts for an up and down. I’ve been tentative. I also need to think more about where I leave the putt. Putting is limited by missing reads and speed too often from longer distances. I need to spend more time walking around putts. Too often I hit a putt that goes the “wrong” way and as I walk up I then see the break I missed or under/over read.

ps. I think FIR is the least useful stat. I hit a lot of drives that are not fairway but plenty good enough. I am also considering counting fringe as gir. That would increase my number of 3-putts but that’s fair. Putt better GB. You can do this.

With those stats you shouldn't have any problem breaking 80. It's probably just a matter of patience. I have a sub 40% GIR and FIR while lacking a particularly great short game, and still manage to break 80 once in a while.

Back