Trying to Break 80 Club

Well today was probably some of the best golf I have ever played. 39 front with a 42 back from the blue tees on AZ National. That is 6340 for the yardage. I had 7 pars and a birdie,one double and the rest bogeys.

I chunked one shot on 16 with a funky lie and a 3 putt on 18 which is a par 5 which I was on the green in regulation. I was 76 yards off the green and told myself to make sure I was putting. Well I hit my 60 wedge about 85 yards and some rollout left me a really really long downhill putt.

Had an awesome time with @Wildcat4life,@Roadrunner @MagicSpell , @AzGolfer and @Perz27. Alway great to play with our AZ THP crew.

The work will continue to get better. I get another chance tomorrow to make it happen on one of my favorite courses!

5/6 rounds sub 80. My handicap has been dropping like crazy. Now at 7.4. Kind of terrifying to be honest. Yesterday’s round was a personal best 75 and included things like: topped tee shot, shanked wedge, and bladed chip. Uh huh. But my putting was on fire, and chipping was mostly excellent.

The main thing I notice in my game is that every round I find a different way to keep it going. I won’t give up on a hole and fight like mad for every shot. I used to have solid stretches of holes and then fall apart on a blow up hole. I didn’t recover. Now I minimize damage from blow up holes and move on. This is perhaps the biggest change that is moving my game forward. Under that is a vastly improved short game that I actually trust.

Next up I look forward to a round where all my game shows up and I don’t have to focus and fight so hard. Haha. I’m such a dreamer. 🙄

39/43 for an 82 this aft with @Wildcat4life and @Roadrunner at my favorite course Sewailo! The back nine is always the toughest and we had some good wind to deal with. Was going along well and then I left my third shot from 98 yards on a par 5 just short and left into the stream. Then short on the next par three for bogey.

Had three holes to play and was at 68. I went par,double,par. 17 is a tough par 4 that the whole fairway slopes to the right to the water. I always try to keep the tee shot left. I hit a great 5 wood and thought it was perfect left and would roll into the middle of the fairway. @Wildcat4life saw it take a crazy hard right hand bounce and it was gone. That led to another mistake and the double. Putting practice will be happening from now on also. Missing a few I should not.

That is my lowest score on that course so far. I did hit 11 fairways from the tee today. Inching closer and closer to the magical 70’s!!

Man, 39/42 today for the 81. Never have broken 80. But have hit 80 many times. Getting closer now though. I have a new swing which makes thing much more consistent so I know it's this year.

A while back I thought this is the year I break 80....nope not with the long game I have.
Plenty of time left! You can do it. (y)

Well with an 88, 87, and an 85 over my last 3 rounds Im moving to the breaking 80 thread. Seems like a reach to be honest, but without goals its hard to advance. Im also making a couple changes in my bag to fill some gaps. We will see how that works out.

First full 18 after courses opened up here and I managed to shoot 81

Normally I would be happy with that, but when you throw in 2, yes 2, triple bogeys it is a bit annoying to say the least

I shoot lots in the mid to high 80's and a few in the 90's. breaking 80 is very rare for me (maybe 3-4 times in 2 years) but I'm working hard on my game, swing, drills, focus etc

Let it slip away today the front got me with a 44 but recovered on the back with 38.

Yesterday's round was getting pretty close. Shot a 45/39, and on the front I missed (2) putts at 2' in length and launched a Tee ball OB on #7. Then on the back I missed an additional 5' putt. That brings my 84 right down to an 79. This is happening this year, and its going to be sweet!

This is definitely a renewed goal for me this season. In addition, I'm going to be playing a course this season where my best is 83. So I'll be looking to shoot better than 83 and hopefully break 80 on this course.

I think I’m back in this club. This year I’ve gone 85, 97, 85. Based on my stats from the Grint, I need to work on staying out of trouble off the tee and work on my sand game.

Struggled for 6 holes after starting par, par, par, for 44 on front settled in and shot 42 on back with triple on the 11th, for an 86. One of those rounds where just never got comfortable with the swing. Put the driver and 3 wood in timeout for the last 6 holes. Teed off with 4 and 5 irons on longer holes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Had a very simple, easy-going 81 last week. One birdie, one double, the rest pars and bogies. No real blow ups.

81 happens to be my second lowest score ever (76 is my low, then it was several 82s). Yet somehow, my GHIN went up .4 after posting it. 😕

Had a very simple, easy-going 81 last week. One birdie, one double, the rest pars and bogies. No real blow ups.

81 happens to be my second lowest score ever (76 is my low, then it was several 82s). Yet somehow, my GHIN went up .4 after posting it. 😕

That just means you are primed for victory. :D

I plan to break 80 at least a few times this year.

Had a very enjoyable round this afternoon after taking Jen to the hospital this morning

Stood on the 18th tee knowing a par would give me a round of 78 but unfortunately I missed the fairway with my tee shot and had a lie that subsequently have me a flier, putting me just over the back of the green and I failed to get up and down for my par so finished with a bogey

Still, a round of 79 for only the second full 18 since lockdown ended is encouraging for the rest of the summer

9 official rounds this season, with 1 sub 80. If I get 2 out of 10 consistently, with the other 8 rounds in that 80-83 range, I would be content. “Par” for me right now on the home course is 81.

Had a very enjoyable round this afternoon after taking Jen to the hospital this morning

Stood on the 18th tee knowing a par would give me a round of 78 but unfortunately I missed the fairway with my tee shot and had a lie that subsequently have me a flier, putting me just over the back of the green and I failed to get up and down for my par so finished with a bogey

Still, a round of 79 for only the second full 18 since lockdown ended is encouraging for the rest of the summer
Way to recover Doc. (y)

Setting goals for the next week, today through next Friday. This will be a push. All rounds on my home course where familiarity helps.
  • 5 18-hole rounds all under 80
  • At least one round breaks my PB 75
I need to overcome the chipping and short putt collapse I had last the 3 rounds. All mental. I also need to dial in my approach shots. I have missed in the wrong places lately. Trust the hard work and practice and play with purpose. (y)

Setting goals for the next week, today through next Friday. This will be a push. All rounds on my home course where familiarity helps.
  • 5 18-hole rounds all under 80
  • At least one round breaks my PB 75
I need to overcome the chipping and short putt collapse I had last the 3 rounds. All mental. I also need to dial in my approach shots. I have missed in the wrong places lately. Trust the hard work and practice and play with purpose. (y)
I know you can do this, so only thing I will say is RELAX!!!

Back