Trying to Break 80 Club

First time I've been able to post in here for a bit. Feel much better about my game now than all of last year. Last two rounds have been 83 and 84 on two different tougher courses. Both could have been sub 80 but I crapped the bed down the stretch. +5 and +4 over the last 3 holes respectively.

Setting goals for the next week, today through next Friday. This will be a push. All rounds on my home course where familiarity helps.
  • 5 18-hole rounds all under 80
  • At least one round breaks my PB 75
I need to overcome the chipping and short putt collapse I had last the 3 rounds. All mental. I also need to dial in my approach shots. I have missed in the wrong places lately. Trust the hard work and practice and play with purpose. (y)

First round of this goal push was going to be today. Made it through 13 holes until the weather went into hail and rain mode. +5 for 13 but the last 2 holes were bogeys due to putting on hail covered greens (with hail/rain falling). That's not really fair. I almost needed driver to get the ball to sled over the slushy hail. Overall I felt like I was well on track. Ball striking was very good. Oh well, another day. Maybe Sunday after .... ta da ... rain and snow Saturday.

First round of this goal push was going to be today. Made it through 13 holes until the weather went into hail and rain mode. +5 for 13 but the last 2 holes were bogeys due to putting on hail covered greens (with hail/rain falling). That's not really fair. I almost needed driver to get the ball to sled over the slushy hail. Overall I felt like I was well on track. Ball striking was very good. Oh well, another day. Maybe Sunday after .... ta da ... rain and snow Saturday.

I put like but WTH!!! hard to roll a round ball threw round ice!!!! Ping Pong maybe.
I would say you had this one in the bag!!!! 1 for 1 so far. (y)

Last edited:
40/38=78 gets it done. Sure could have been better as I was -2 thru 5 holes on the back nine but gave them back.

Last edited:
I just reached my personal best GHIN handicap - 10.0 even. I broke 80 once last year and haven’t since. Not just saying this, but I feel like I would’ve more if I had continued playing consistently. But had my first child that October, and playing has obviously slowed down. But when I do play now, I’m still consistently shooting 82-84. So hoping if/when I’m able to play even a little more frequently, I’ll get back to having a real chance at the 70s. Last couple rounds (81 and 83), I had an actual shot at 78-79 with a few holes remaining and just couldn’t close the deal. Played holes 10 thru 15 at +1 last time out after a 40 on the front, but last 3 closing holes at that particular course are TOUGH. Frustrating, but encouraging!

Now that the courses are open I’m back to doing work... not quite knocking on 80 yet, but trending in the right direction.

Shot 106 (ugh) in my first full round back on Monday. Hit the range 2 days, shot 91 on that same course yesterday. 15 shots better than Monday? I’ll take it.

Contact is crisp, distance is a bit down from last year, and my wedges aren’t dialed yet. But I’ll get there.

Man i got my butt handed to me today 92. I had some OB issues off the tee on a tight course. The OB was with my 5 wood which is normally a rock solid club for me. We had some heavy wind and i think i was pretty tense. I still love my SZ extreme and when i used it i had some great long drives. Only 4 pars and a birdie today. Will be out again tomorrow!

Well today was the day! 38/40 for the 78 at 6121 yards! I had 9 pars a birdie and 7 bogeys with 1 double bogey. This is the new personal best and i am pretty stoked. Scrambling was good today and no major blow ups. I had one tee shot left with my 5 wood the ended up under a row of trees. I did an easy little chip out that left me 180 to the pin. I hot my 8 iron to right at 3 feet and made the putt for par!

I purposely did not add the score up so i was not thinking about it. My coach has me do a drill on my practice swing to help with my little casting issue that i have. I stuck with the routine and had 9 GIR which is great for me. That part of my game is what i am focusing on. I almost had 2 birds in a row i lipped out the 3 footer. The cobra SZ extreme kept me in play with just a few right today but totally playable. I never thought this day would get here lol! I will be back out and trying again tomorrow.

82 today with two triple bogeys... I’m in the hunt!

Previous low score was an 86, last summer. Then on Saturday I shot an 84. Went back last night and fired an 81 even with going +3 on the last 3 holes.

After playing in stupid winds on Saturday we went out for 18 again today in calmer conditions and I just wasn't feeling it today

Lost 1 ball that disappeared near a hazard which led to a double bogey, had another double and at least 3 putts that defied gravity and hung on the edge of the hole annoyingly

Finished with 85 after shooting 41 on the front 9

Need some range time to get the swing ironed out properly, even though I seem to be managing it okay on the course with where it is currently at

42/41 for 83 today! I was not as good with the GIR today and missed all of my birdie chances today . Back to work lol

40/39=79 today in the rain.

Round 1 of my 5-rounds in a row under 80 goal: 39/40 = 79. Just by the skin of my teeth. Missed a 3 footer for par on last hole. That was frustrating. 7/18 GIR, 8/13 FIR, 30 putts. One 3-putt. 1 birdie. I think I will get out early tomorrow morning for #2.

Need to tighten up my approach shots, even if that means just missing in better places. I was so close today on a handful of key holes but every one put me in a very difficult up and down position.

Previous low score was an 86, last summer. Then on Saturday I shot an 84. Went back last night and fired an 81 even with going +3 on the last 3 holes.

Attaboy!(y)

Had an up/down round yesterday but overall felt good about it. My mental game is lacking. Good hole / bad hole was the rhythm. Need to get that in gear this week and I’ll be mid/low 80s soon.

Followed up my all-timer (78) with an 83, plagued by hitting 0-for-7 fairways with the driver and 3 double bogeys.

Followed up my all-timer (78) with an 83, plagued by hitting 0-for-7 fairways with the driver and 3 double bogeys.
You'll get it back next time out.

Had a very simple, easy-going 81 last week. One birdie, one double, the rest pars and bogies. No real blow ups.

81 happens to be my second lowest score ever (76 is my low, then it was several 82s). Yet somehow, my GHIN went up .4 after posting it. 😕
Its time, next weekend!

Day 2 of my 5-round goal: 80 (40/40). Close but no cigar today. I hit better approach shots than I did yesterday but struggled putting. 37 putts today (vs. 30 yesterday). Quite a few mis-reads. I like my overall scoring consistency this year and need to keep working on the little things.

Was paired with a group of older guys (meaning they were my age to a little bit older ;)). They are part of a group of 6 that has played together for years. I definitely felt like an outsider. Good test for my mental strength, which is as much a part of my 5-round goal as anything else. I stayed nicely relaxed and focused while keeping a friendly engagement with them.

Back