Trying to Break 80 Club

My personal best is a 74 (+2) that I shot at my home course in October last year

Since we have been allowed back to play again in the UK, I have shot between 79-85 at my home course with the length being anything from around 6,200 - 6,500 yards depending on where the tees are

I have also shot level par for 9 holes, so I know I have the ability to go low, I just need to pull it all together on the same day

Although I have never been one for stats, I have gone back to the spreadsheet with my scores on and pulled out the numbers from my Garmin watch for the rounds on my home course where I have recorded my score, and my averages from the rounds I have from 2019 to date are

Number of rounds recorded on my watch - 26
FIR - 52%
GIR - 46%
Putts - 33

At other courses where I have the stats recorded, the averages are

Number of rounds - 12
FIR - 51%
GIR - 37%
Putts - 31

The above stats are only for full 18 hole rounds where I have the information recorded on my watch, so there are rounds not counted in the above figures (including my PB from October annoyingly) so the numbers aren't a complete picture of my game from the last 18 months

I am fairly strict on myself when it comes to recording the fairways hit figure, as even if I am only slightly in the first cut, I will not count it as a fairway, and there have been times when I have ran through a fairway due to it being firmer than expected
My biggest issue at the moment for this year up to now is hitting greens - but a big part of that is I am not quite 100% confident in my swing yet, so I am tending to miss either short/long due to not being confident in my yardages yet, or missing left when the fade I have been hitting recently has not appeared and the ball has stayed straight on the line I started it on

Hopefully I will be able to get to the range near to me soon so that I can put the work in on my swing to get that bit of confidence back in my swing for the rest of the summer

Well, I agree and disagree. If you are breaking 80 anywhere, you are a decent golfer. Anyway, my last three below 80 are 70.2/135 and 69.5/134 and 71.1/136
Like I said, more just for context. Completely different for someone to shoot 79 on a par 70 course rated 68.5/116 than it is for someone to do that on a par 72 course rated 72.9/133.

I'm not minimizing the milestone at all. Breaking 80 is a big deal for anyone, anywhere -- when they first do it. Then, it's time to really get to work!

Tried to put these in some semblance of order that one might actually accomplish them:
  1. Break your personal best time and time again until you finally:
  2. Shoot par/beat the course rating (there are lots of people who have shot even par, but never once have beaten a course rating)
  3. Break par in a casual round
  4. Shoot in the 60's in a casual round
  5. Break par in a club tournament round at your home course
  6. Qualify for a sanctioned local/regional tournament in your area (Lot of variability depending on the area and the age group, but you usually have to shoot between 72 and 77 to qualify depending on conditions and course set-up)
  7. Shoot below the course rating in a tournament round
  8. Go bogey-free in a casual round
  9. Shoot in the 60's in a tournament round
  10. Break par in a tournament outside your own club
  11. Go bogey-free in a tournament round outside your own club
  12. Make the 36-hole cut at a serious local/regional event in your area
  13. Lead a tournament at your club after the first round
  14. WIN an 18-hole gross tournament at your club
  15. WIN a 36+ hole gross tournament at your club
  16. WIN a 36+ hole gross tournament locally
  17. WIN a 36+ hole gross tournament in your region
  18. WIN a 36+ hole gross tournament with a National Field
  19. WIN a USGA Event
That was fun! Any other milestones to slot in there???

Last edited:
Like I said, more just for context. Completely different for someone to shoot 79 on a par 70 course rated 68.5/116 than it is for someone to do that on a par 72 course rated 72.9/133.

I'm not minimizing the milestone at all. Breaking 80 is a big deal for anyone, anywhere -- when they first do it. Then, it's time to really get to work!

Tried to put these in some semblance of order that one might actually accomplish them:
  2. Shoot par/beat the course rating (there are lots of people who have shot even par, but never once have beaten a course rating)
  4. Shoot in the 60's in a casual round
  5. Break par in a club tournament round at your home course
  6. Qualify for a sanctioned local/regional tournament in your area (Lot of variability depending on the area and the age group, but you usually have to shoot between 72 and 77 to qualify depending on conditions and course set-up)
  7. Shoot below the course rating in a tournament round
  8. Go bogey-free in a casual round
  9. Shoot in the 60's in a tournament round
  10. Break par in a tournament outside your own club
  11. Go bogey-free in a tournament round outside your own club
  12. Make the 36-hole cut at a serious local/regional event in your area
  13. Lead a tournament at your club after the first round
  14. WIN an 18-hole gross tournament at your club
  15. WIN a 36+ hole gross tournament at your club
  16. WIN a 36+ hole gross tournament locally
  17. WIN a 36+ hole gross tournament in your region
  18. WIN a 36+ hole gross tournament with a National Field
  19. WIN a USGA Event
Certainly a good list for those that want to go that route. Personally, I have little interest in most of those things on the list. The only competitive rounds I take part in are THP experiences and events and the very occasional club vs club match. I'd rather have a good time with my friends and shoot something in the 70s than make it into something it isn't. That and there will ALWAYS be better golfers than me, but I'm not playing against them - I'm playing against me.

Certainly a good list for those that want to go that route. Personally, I have little interest in most of those things on the list. The only competitive rounds I take part in are THP experiences and events and the very occasional club vs club match. I'd rather have a good time with my friends and shoot something in the 70s than make it into something it isn't. That and there will ALWAYS be better golfers than me, but I'm not playing against them - I'm playing against me.
Definitely not for everyone. But for those who are relatively young and figure out how to break 80 within a couple/few years of playing the game, there might be enough talent/drive there to compete. As Bobby Jones(?) said: "There is golf, and there is competitive golf and they are not remotely the same thing."

Definitely not for everyone. But for those who are relatively young and figure out how to break 80 within a couple/few years of playing the game, there might be enough talent/drive there to compete. As Bobby Jones(?) said: "There is golf, and there is competitive golf and they are not remotely the same thing."
There is a huge separation between casual golfers breaking 80 and competitive golfers who are playing 7100 yards and competing.
I play with a couple guys can regularly break 80, but they are going to do it from less than 6000 yards, they have no desire to play longer and not have a good time shooting in the upper 80's or low 90s.
Golf has to be enjoyed in your own way, whether that is shooting par from 7100 or par from 6000. It is up to the individual to decide that, not what someone thinks it is supposed to be.
Don't downplay someones achievement of breaking 100, 90 or 80 by saying they need to do this or that. Golf is a journey for each person on their own, there are not certain ways it has to be done to be enjoyable.

In no way am I downplaying. Every milestone is to be relished and enjoyed -- briefly! ;-)

One of my passions in this game is helping people get from the 3 to 6 range to the competitive am range. And all of those guys were, at one time, struggling to break 80. I realize that the subset of golfers trying to break 80 who will eventually get to the scratch/below level is very small, but those guys do exist, and I like to help them.

The levels of this game are just never-ending and always rewarding as long as one is willing to push themselves to improve. And for those who don't desire that, that's fine, too, of course! :)

There is a huge separation between casual golfers breaking 80 and competitive golfers who are playing 7100 yards and competing.
I play with a couple guys can regularly break 80, but they are going to do it from less than 6000 yards, they have no desire to play longer and not have a good time shooting in the upper 80's or low 90s.
Golf has to be enjoyed in your own way, whether that is shooting par from 7100 or par from 6000. It is up to the individual to decide that, not what someone thinks it is supposed to be.
Don't downplay someones achievement of breaking 100, 90 or 80 by saying they need to do this or that. Golf is a journey for each person on their own, there are not certain ways it has to be done to be enjoyable.

Exactly right. As it is many golfers play tees too long for them and might have more fun moving up. I know I am playing from the senior tees. For me it's no fun hitting fairway woods into par 4's. Besides, breaking 80 from any tee still requires some good golf, so there is that. :)

Somewhere between 1 and 2 there is:
Break 100
Break 100 consistently
Break 90
Break 90 consistently
Break 85
Break 85 consistently
Break 80
Break 80 consistently
Break 75

Shot 40-42-82 today. Probably been the best chance I've had at sub-80 this year. Hit the ball the well but just couldn't make a putt despite hitting good putts. Lipped out twice, and burned 3-4 edges.

Shot 40-42-82 today. Probably been the best chance I've had at sub-80 this year. Hit the ball the well but just couldn't make a putt despite hitting good putts. Lipped out twice, and burned 3-4 edges.
You are right there, it will come soon. Still a nice round.

Hit an 82, with a triple bogey on 18. So close and only myself to blame for the blow up.

Hit an 82, with a triple bogey on 18. So close and only myself to blame for the blow up.

Feel your pain. Shot 82 myself a couple of days ago and Double bogeyed 17 and 18. :(

Feel your pain. Shot 82 myself a couple of days ago and Double bogeyed 17 and 18. :(
Aw man...I gotta get my mental game better. I think this could happen ever time I get close unless I'm prepared for it.

Disappointing 87 despite starting to strike the ball better - a number of bad bounces leaving me with no shot and some unplayable lies meant only 4 pars and 1 birdie all night

On a positive note, I started striping the driver again as the round went on (which actually put me unplayable positions annoyingly as it went straight where I aimed it instead of the fade I have had the last few rounds)

Putter has completely abandoned me. Last full round was 40 putts and I just followed it up with 20 in a 9 hole round. Absolutely no confidence with short putts except the 1 handed tap in, those never miss

Shot a 78 on my par 70 course yesterday. My first time breaking 80!:cool:

Realizing how difficult it is to stay focused on every shot. Missed a few short putts. Had a chunked shot. But I'll say this, the rest of my short game helped me break 80. That's the key to me. Maybe keeping the ball in play off the tee as well.

Shot a 78 on my par 70 course yesterday. My first time breaking 80!:cool:

Realizing how difficult it is to stay focused on every shot. Missed a few short putts. Had a chunked shot. But I'll say this, the rest of my short game helped me break 80. That's the key to me. Maybe keeping the ball in play off the tee as well.
Congrats!!! It will be a bit easier now that you have done it. Those are definitely key.

Shot an 81 yesterday on a par 71 course. 39,42. Tied my personal best of being 10 over.

2 Birdies, but 3 doubles (2 due to going OB).

Once again, felt like it could have been the round that I broke 80, but 3 bad iron swings messed it all up.

But, I'm thinking it is right around the corner (so much so, that I am going out again this afternoon).

Shot an 81 yesterday on a par 71 course. 39,42. Tied my personal best of being 10 over.

Once again, felt like it could have been the round that I broke 80, but 3 bad iron swings messed it all up.

But, I'm thinking it is right around the corner (so much so, that I am going out again this afternoon).
Yep you are right there!!!! Keep it in play and you break 80 today.

How ya doing on the par 5’s?

80 yesterday, on a course I hadn't played in over a year. Similar rating/slope as my home course, but modern greens that are bigger and have more subtle breaks than we have. I lipped out a 30-ft 'putt' from just off the green on 17. That and a little more touch in the short game would've put me under the number again. Maybe next time?

Back