Trying to Break 80 Club

Back in the saddle again Monday. One of my favorite courses @ 70/121 6150 yards, though I usually do not score well. We’ll see how it goes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Squeaked in a 79 (40/39). Really happy with the round. Pins were in tough locations and the rough and long grasses were brutal. Playing partners (hc 11-14) shot 104, 100, 90. We spent a lot of time looking for balls. Pic of a partner playing from rough.
5FF83D6E-93DB-4B68-AF75-A1A35F045AD9.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m playing my childhood course on Sunday. I’ve gone as low as 80 or 81 there, but those days are well in the rear view. It’s a challenging course and I went 89 there a couple weeks ago. Been practicing my putting and <15ft chips inside all week. Planning some quality SkyTrak time tomorrow in anticipation of Sunday. Goal will be staying out of trouble.

44, 43 today. Started off horribly by showing up late for the tee time and being rushed to catch up to group that I was supposed to be with, by being 5 over after 3 holes. Lesson learned, I play much better when I’m not rushed.
Once again 2 holes that I put balls OB off the tee that we’re just inexcusable.
On the bright side, no 3 putts or triples.

Last edited:
Officially back in the breaking 80 thread with a 42/43-85. Good times.

Finally got all the parts of my game to show up at once. Tied my personal best 74 today. 38-36 with 4 birdies. Also had 2 double bogeys but hey....still happy about the day.

Finally got all the parts of my game to show up at once. Tied my personal best 74 today. 38-36 with 4 birdies. Also had 2 double bogeys but hey....still happy about the day.
Great round!!!!!

43/37=80 had a chance on 18 and missed the birdie putt. The driver was crazy bad on the front and that is what cost me, it came around and was fine on the back. 33 putts and burned a lot of edges today.

Last two rounds have been fun. Struggled to get back in the groove of playing, but it's starting to get better.

48/42=90

42/39=81

Hopefully this is the year I break the barrier.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Welp I’m not doing myself any favors. Yesterday was my second round of the year in the 90’s (90). It was on one of the most challenging courses I play, at least. Every drive I hit well was >270 in the fairway, but I every one I mishit was near unplayable. Also seemed to lack focus with the irons and was losing my swing inside. There were some good signs in there, I made a nice birdie putt on a par 3 and my ball striking with the irons was mostly excellent. If I can stay focused, my distance with the irons is off the charts this year.

Not a great outing after a 2 week hiatus to rest the shoulder, 46/47. Struggled with keeping my head still (bad case of look ups) on partial wedges and chips. Also had a balky driver swing so played 3 metal for most of the round. Still, was good to get back on the course.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Group outing coming up Friday at Stonewolf, a nice Nicklaus track here in STL. I've played it 3x this month and I think I have a good idea of what clubs to hit and what spots to avoid... gonna hit the range hard this week and zero in on a low or sub 80 round this Friday.

Tee to green I'm playing some respectable golf right now. Just not getting up and down from easy spots and putting continues to be abysmal.

43 yesterday in league with 21 putts...that's not a typo. 5 GIR and 5 FIR

40, 41 yesterday on a par 72 course I had never played, the 9 over tied my personal best, so am really happy about that. However, it's painful because I know with one hole back, I would have broke 80.

I was fortunate to be paired up with 2 really nice golfers who knew the course, and were extremely helpful. I was fine with the front 9, because I didn't shoot myself in the foot. 6 pars, 2 bogeys, and a double. I started the back 9 with a quadruple bogey, as I tried to take to aggressive of a line off the tee and went into the water. To make that mistake worse, I tried to clear the water with a 5 iron, and of course shanked it into the water. Next thing I know I 2 putt for a quad. I proceed to birdie 3 of the next 4 holes, but 3 putt for a bogey on another one. Finish par, double a par 3 due to bailing out on the iron shot, bogey (3 putt), par.

One of the golfers I was with shot 78, which tied his personal best. It was great to be that close to breaking 80, but now I just want it so much more.

40, 41 yesterday on a par 72 course I had never played, the 9 over tied my personal best, so am really happy about that. However, it's painful because I know with one hole back, I would have broke 80.

I was fortunate to be paired up with 2 really nice golfers who knew the course, and were extremely helpful. I was fine with the front 9, because I didn't shoot myself in the foot. 6 pars, 2 bogeys, and a double. I started the back 9 with a quadruple bogey, as I tried to take to aggressive of a line off the tee and went into the water. To make that mistake worse, I tried to clear the water with a 5 iron, and of course shanked it into the water. Next thing I know I 2 putt for a quad. I proceed to birdie 3 of the next 4 holes, but 3 putt for a bogey on another one. Finish par, double a par 3 due to bailing out on the iron shot, bogey (3 putt), par.

One of the golfers I was with shot 78, which tied his personal best. It was great to be that close to breaking 80, but now I just want it so much more.
That is a great round on a course you have never played!!! Congratulations. You know where and why the mistakes where made, so next time out you won't make them again.

Played yesterday and shot 40, 43 on a par 71 (35 on the back).

My ball striking was amazing on the front, unfortunately my putting was horrendous as I had 20 putts on the front (just couldn't figure out the greens, first time playing the course this year). I went 6/9 in GIR, and didn't miss the other ones by much.

Back 9 got me with 3 doubles. I needed to par out from hole 15 to break 80, and parred 15, 16. Then got aggressive off the tee on a drivable par 4, when I should of just hit a 4 iron off the tee, which would have left me a good number in. Instead, I of course put it in the hazard on the right, and hit a poor approach shot short, bad chip, 2 putt and all dreams of breaking 80 were dashed. Proceeded to put drive on next hole O.B. left, and took a double.

I feel like every round I'm learning something, which is great. I just don't know how much longer my game is going to "click" like this, as I am a fairly streaky player. So, and hopeful that in this "clicking period" that I will finally be able to break 80. However, I feel that the allure of the "hunt" is definitely worth it. Might get out again this afternoon, and am playing the same course I played yesterday on Sunday, so hopefully the putting comes around at that course.

Played yesterday and shot 40, 43 on a par 71 (35 on the back).

My ball striking was amazing on the front, unfortunately my putting was horrendous as I had 20 putts on the front (just couldn't figure out the greens, first time playing the course this year). I went 6/9 in GIR, and didn't miss the other ones by much.

Back 9 got me with 3 doubles. I needed to par out from hole 15 to break 80, and parred 15, 16. Then got aggressive off the tee on a drivable par 4, when I should of just hit a 4 iron off the tee, which would have left me a good number in. Instead, I of course put it in the hazard on the right, and hit a poor approach shot short, bad chip, 2 putt and all dreams of breaking 80 were dashed. Proceeded to put drive on next hole O.B. left, and took a double.

I feel like every round I'm learning something, which is great. I just don't know how much longer my game is going to "click" like this, as I am a fairly streaky player. So, and hopeful that in this "clicking period" that I will finally be able to break 80. However, I feel that the allure of the "hunt" is definitely worth it. Might get out again this afternoon, and am playing the same course I played yesterday on Sunday, so hopefully the putting comes around at that course.
You are on the cusp!!! Hang in there, it will all fall into place and you will get it, I think to day will be your day.
You are playing some great golf, keep it up!!!!

Getting closer...

43/42-85 today on a fun Palmer design course here in the STL area.

1 birdie, 8 pars, 5 bogeys, 3 doubles and 1 triple. 31 total putts with 2 three putts.

If I turn the doubles and triples into bogeys I’m at 80.

Playing again tomorrow; can’t wait.

I'm at about 1/4 or 1/5 rounds under 80. To improve beyond that, I think my latest needs-work priorities are: 1) cleaning up driver, which has gone bonkers lately; 2) more accurate approach shots with irons; and 3) distance control on longer putts.

Driver is the one that is bugging me the most right now. I have lost feel for that swing.

I'm at about 1/4 or 1/5 rounds under 80. To improve beyond that, I think my latest needs-work priorities are: 1) cleaning up driver, which has gone bonkers lately; 2) more accurate approach shots with irons; and 3) distance control on longer putts.

Driver is the one that is bugging me the most right now. I have lost feel for that swing.
smooth tempo!!!!

Since coming back to the game a few months ago I've been working on my tempo, and trying a few different things to swing taller. I finally had enough, and went back to my old 40 year crouched swing a couple days ago on the suggestion of a close friend. I'm back to hitting it much more consistent with low(ish) draw.

Played 18 today with 3 golf buddies and came in with a 78

38 front

40 back.......
with a water ball on 17

No birdies.

I was spitting cotton balls the entire 18th hole, but it felt awesome to have that nervous feeling again. None of my hooligan buddies said a word to me the last 3-4 holes, like I was pitching a no hitter or something. They all know that I've quit the game out of frustration a few times over the past 10-11 years with eye problems. They went nuts after I putted out on 18.

79 today (on a par 70) and my driver was really clicking. Felt so nice. Third time in the 70s this year, and ever.

Back