Trying to Break 80 Club

Played 36 holes today and shot one of my best rounds. A 41/36/77 Even with a triple on a par 3 when I got stuck in a deep short sided bunker trying to hit a short shot and didn't swing hard enough or didn't follow through.
Putted one birdie 🐦 just off the fringe and chipped in 3 others from 10 feet to 39 yards. Something I have never done before (3 times)
The back 18 shot a 39/41/80 Pretty solid round, only one birdie and one double bogey.
Also had two of my longest drives today. 276 yards and a 280 yarder. Others were in the 230 to 255 range.
After shooting a disappointing 55 for nine holes in the rain on Thursday. This was a pleasant surprise. I will say the final two holes pushing the cart was quite exhausting in the heat as the wind had died down to calm.20200712_214758.jpg20200712_211857.jpg

Well I’m officially at the next stage and breaking 80 is my next milestone. A bit of a daunting task for a guy that is so hot and cold. I’m an error machine and breaking 80 will require an error free round. That’s scary! 😕

Tough day yesterday, went 41-43=84 with 3 double bogeys on the back 9
The round was very slow (4hrs) with a lot of waiting between shots and it didn't help my back stay loose so there were a couple of shots that I pulled that put me in trouble

Front 9 was steady, played to my handicap but missed a couple putts by very little from distance that could have seen a sub-40 so I wasn't too unhappy with it

Back 9 was where the problems started as the course got backed up
11th hole is a par 3 and after waiting for the green to clear, I pulled my shot that took a bounce left and finished in thick rough with one of those lies where you don't know how it will come out - unfortunately it came out clean, flew the green and after chipping back on I missed the bogey putt for the first double
12th hole is a long par 4 (460yds uphill with wind into and off the left with OB right) so I hit 2i off the tee to ensure I could keep the ball in play and missed the fairway left by inches and found a tough lie. Advanced the ball up the fairway to leave a wedge to the green, but misjudged the wind and pulled it left and short-sided myself to a tucked pin beind a bunker. Flopped it to about 6ft but missed the downhill breaking putt and finished with another double
Final double came on the par 5 15th hole when I came up short with my approach and donated a ball to the water, dropped another, put it on the green and lipped out the bogey putt

Positive note - hit a good 2i up the hill on the 18th, followed with a controlled 8i into the wind that spun back and right to about 12ft and sank the putt for a birdie to finish the round - probably because it was the only hole on the back 9 where we didn't have to stand around waiting for 5mins between shots

Played 36 holes today and shot one of my best rounds. A 41/36/77 Even with a triple on a par 3 when I got stuck in a deep short sided bunker trying to hit a short shot and didn't swing hard enough or didn't follow through.
Putted one birdie 🐦 just off the fringe and chipped in 3 others from 10 feet to 39 yards. Something I have never done before (3 times)
The back 18 shot a 39/41/80 Pretty solid round, only one birdie and one double bogey.
Also had two of my longest drives today. 276 yards and a 280 yarder. Others were in the 230 to 255 range.
After shooting a disappointing 55 for nine holes in the rain on Thursday. This was a pleasant surprise. I will say the final two holes pushing the cart was quite exhausting in the heat as the wind had died down to calm.View attachment 8953202View attachment 8953200
Congrats on the great round!!!!

Played two rounds this past weekend while visiting my brother out of town.

Pinehurst #1: 81 (42-39). Ugly front. Couldn’t make a putt. Then started the back +4 thru 3, then played the final six holes at -1. 81 is typically a good score, but it’s +11 on this course, so not as good as it sounds off the cuff. But still, always a treat to play here.

Following day: 79 at a public course in Raleigh. 40-39. Played well on the front tee to green, but missed two putts I believe I should’ve made. But a birdie on 9 helped. Then had another birdie on 10, and again on 14. Played 10 thru 16 at even. Once I realized that, I think I got into my own head, and finished double bogey then bogey for a 79. Not happy with those final two holes, but had a clutch up-and-down from a greenside bunker for bogey after an OB tee shot on 18 to secure the score. 7/14 FIR, 8/18 GIR, 34 putts. Decent stats, not great not terrible. Happy with the GIR, which doesn’t include several shots that were on the fringe or just off. Same with FIR, several rolled just off the fairway on this pretty narrow course.

That puts me at 3 rounds total in the 70s, two of which have come in the past five weeks. If I could learn to do two things, I feel like I’d be in the upper 70s consistently: 1) more confidence over short putts (3-6 foot range especially), and 2) close out the round with good play on the last few holes.. always seem to sputter out the last 2-3 holes.

Last edited:
I'd broken 80 twice in my 25+ years of playing golf coming into this year.

I've now done it 2 more times in the last 2 months.

38+41=79.

I knew I was playing well but decided not to add up my score at the turn. 38 was a nice surprise.

I wasn't sure I was going to make past 13 or 14. It was hot.

I am doing enough good stuff semi-regularly that I know breaking 80 can/will happen. In the meantime I keep making a few stupid mistakes that screw up my scorecard.

I am doing enough good stuff semi-regularly that I know breaking 80 can/will happen. In the meantime I keep making a few stupid mistakes that screw up my scorecard.
It will happen, just don't try to force it

I know what you mean about the stupid mistakes - 3 double bogeys meant a round of 84 for me last time out, and the holes it happened on, I would normally expect a couple pars (par 3 and par 5) and 1 bogey (long, up hill par 4 usually into wind)

Got it done last night with a 40/38=78 29 putts. Going out this afternoon again midday, best chance for me to go low is when I can play multiple days in a row like this.

Planned on playing nine this past weekend and started poorly with two doubles on 1 & 2. Got things rolling with a few pars, stole a couple birdies and made the turn +3.

Called the boss and got the okay to finish the round to try and seal the deal. Could not make it happen on the back nine.

Going through a change to my game. Suddenly a cut has become my go to swing and it’s really working well. It’s foreign to me so learning to trust it has been a struggle. I think a little more work and I can put it to good use and get under 80 again.

39/39-78 this afternoon. Putter was hot and kept me in the game.

+2 37 in league tonight. I’m a 7 handicap so that worked out well for my match:)

So I’m on 7 fairway and I’m sitting on -1.

My partner is observing all non-jinx rules, not saying anything about the score and basically treating me like it’s the 7th inning and I have a no-hitter going.

Our teammates roll up and ask how it’s going. I downplay it with a “Fine,” and they ask again, and I downplay it again, then they come over and look at our card and one says “Ho-ho, I ain’t sayin sh!t haha, keep it up!!!”

I went double/bogey to finish at +2. Come on man. Never ask a guy his score ;-)

81 today. 40-41. Couple unnecessary doubles cost me a 79, but overall a solid round. Nothing really sexy or flashy, just steady. 9/14 FIR, 9/18 GIR, 34 putts (only one three putt). I historically don’t putt well at this course, and have been struggling with putting overall as of late, so happy to get the flat stick going a little bit.

40/48-88 today in the first round of a 2-day tournament. Putter failed me on the back - 20 putts, with 2 three putts.

Ready to go after it tomorrow!

Copied from "What did you shoot today?"

I played some serious golf (for me). I was on pace for a personal record back nine, 1-over going into 17. Of course I then promptly managed to double both 17 and 18. However, I'm taking an enormous amount of confidence from almost getting there. To play 7-holes in 1-over is getting it done. I went 42-41 for a legit, everything played down, everything putted out, every penalty applied, 83 from the orange tees at 6783 yards in 100-degree heat. I got up and down a ton and drained lots of 4-foot par saves.

A sub-80 rounds is coming...I can feel it.

Had a pretty rough week after playing so well last week. Actually had 100 round on Thursday and an 89 on Friday. While the driver worked so well last week this week I am clueless. Really struggled and could not figure out what was different. Practice time and we will be back.

Finally did it today, I shot a 78. I think it’s been at least two years since I’ve broken 80. I’ve come close with some low 80 rounds, but never broke it. It’s such a fine line with my game And good tee shots are a given, but I’ve noticed my wedges are the difference for me. When I’m dialed in, a round in the 70’s is in reach.

quoting myself here because two weeks later I did it again. I shot a 78 yesterday on the strength of a solid day driving and my 3w. Feels good to know the potential is there.

Trending back in the right direction with an 84 today. Didn’t lose strokes off the tee and around the green like I have in recent rounds. Greens were in poor shape and I couldn’t get it rolling. A triple and two doubles didn’t help my cause, but I’m striking the ball well. It’ll come!

Had a pretty rough week after playing so well last week. Actually had 100 round on Thursday and an 89 on Friday. While the driver worked so well last week this week I am clueless. Really struggled and could not figure out what was different. Practice time and we will be back.

Just got to be patient and keep at it. Some days you're simply not going to have it, others days everything will go right for you. I also shot 100 earlier this year - a whopping 22 strokes worse than my best round of the season.

After playing well on Saturday (and we finished 3rd in the mixed comp, 2 points behind the winners) I had a shocker yesterday and don't think I even broke 90!

After losing a ball on the first 2 holes, I knew it was going to be a tough day, and I finished up losing 5 in a round which is something I can't remember ever doing
2 of the lost balls were because we couldn't find them even though we had a good idea where they landed - thick rough at the moment at my home course
Another 2 were lost due to bad shots that went OB
The final lost ball was one of those shots that clipped a tree and none of us saw which way it went despite all seeing it head for the tree

The frustrating day was compounded by a good 7-8 putts either sitting on the edge of the hole and refusing to drop, or lipping out

Couple positives from the day, I struck the ball pretty well again considering the last few weeks and I had a birdie on the 16th - could have had another couple if some of the putts had dropped

87 yesterday. 35 putts! Arrrghhh! Three-putted once on the front and twice on the back. Grrrr.

My lag putting is crap right now. I'm leaving myself 5-6 footers instead of 2-3 footers.

Back