Trying to Break 80 Club

5 of my last 20 rounds have been in the 70s (77, 78, 3x79). Just need to get rid of the 85, 86, and 90 also in the last 20. I really want 82 to be my “bad day.” It’s all about eliminating the blow up holes for me.

Been in a bit of a slump. I decided the hmb irons were letting me be sloppy. Went back to mmc 5-9. I also dropped the set wedge for a 46 t20.

Saturday, was awful. Readjusting. My impact was all over the face. I hit a few great shots, but shoot 90. Decide to stick with the bag change.

Sunday, I shoot a 35 front with one bogey and two birdies. We get stalled on the back, run out of water, etc. I go par, bogey, bogey, double and I am coming apart. I refocus and birdie 14. We are 4 hours and 15 minutes into the round on 15 tee.

I’m tired, dehydrated, my legs are gone ... I lose focus and double 15 and triple 16. I decide if I shoot 35-45 I have to quit golf completely. I have a warm mich ultra in my bag from the pitching contest and I drink it during the 10 minute wait on 17 tee.

I hit the fairway and miss pin high left rough and then almost chip in for birdie. Par.

18 is the longest par 4 we play at about about 430Y dog left left. I toe, pop, flare one out to the right rough as far as possible. This leaves me the longest approach, ball above my feet 187 to center pin. I get it short left fringe and semi blade a chip three feet past. The comeback putt is screaming downhill and it breaks.

My buddy tried to give me the putt. No; I need to make it.

Boom! 35-44! As bad as the back was, it felt good to close it out.

Went out by myself this afternoon whilst Jen was out and somehow shot a 79 which included losing 3 balls and 2 birdies

Tee game was hit and cold but irons and putter were in good form today

Playing again tomorrow morning so hopefully I can do the same thing but with slightly better tee shots

As you said that is much better than you have been playing and going in the right direction. Next time out for sure.
Crossing my fingers, brother!!

Yesterday was as good a chance as I’m going to get and I choked / sucked it away. +3 heading to the 9th, a par 5 with a FW wide enough to land a plane, but a hole that is seriously in my head. I pull it left OB leading to the dreaded par 5 double bogey. A couple more like that on the back. A couple of birdie putts that burned edges. 41/43-84. #idiot.

Signed up for the mid-week competition at my home club today and shot a slightly disappointing 83 (1 over my handicap)

A few bad bounces put me in trouble, including one bounce that put me up against a tree on a par 5
Had a few chips that pulled up a lot lot quicker than I expected and left me with some longer putts that I missed, but also had a few that burned edges

Our greens are recovering well which makes for a better roll on putts but also means approaches are checking up more again as well so I am having a slight problem adjusting to that after a couple weeks of them rolling out

Hopefully motivational. My league partner (hc 9) shot a personal best 68 (Par 71) on Saturday. In our league rounds together on the same course I have only seen him shoot below 40 for 9 holes twice (39 and 38). He put a ton of work into his approach shots and wedges. He hits these lovely lower flight right to left spinners. His touch and control are impressive lately. Easy 3/4 type swings. I particularly love how he hits his wedges. It is transforming his game. The hard work can pay off!

I've decided that breaking 80 is as much of a mindset than it is about skill. In other words, to do it consistently, you need both the skill and the mindset that you are going to do it.

I first broke through earlier this year with a 76 in April. That was a PB by 6 strokes at the time. Since then I've shot a few 77s, another 76, a 78 and a 79. Still plenty of 82s, but I find now that I am expecting to shoot in the 70s, even though on average I'm still probably a low 80s player. But it has helped in that I no longer feel like its a huge deal if I'm on track to break 80 (and therefore tense up and blow it on the last few holes).

I've decided that breaking 80 is as much of a mindset than it is about skill. In other words, to do it consistently, you need both the skill and the mindset that you are going to do it.

I first broke through earlier this year with a 76 in April. That was a PB by 6 strokes at the time. Since then I've shot a few 77s, another 76, a 78 and a 79. Still plenty of 82s, but I find now that I am expecting to shoot in the 70s, even though on average I'm still probably a low 80s player. But it has helped in that I no longer feel like its a huge deal if I'm on track to break 80 (and therefore tense up and blow it on the last few holes).
Some great points you made. I think once you get there, it becomes easier because you know you can do it instead of "I have a chance to do it " mentality.

I agree with this. The first couple of times I flirted with sub-80 I felt a huge amount of pressure. After having been there multiple times its much easier to stay relaxed.

Only had time to get 9 holes in before league tonight and managed a 38 so pretty confident I could have broke 80 again.

82 yesterday (40-42). 3 birdies, but an unnecessary double and a disastrous triple did me in. Couldn’t find the fairway, but played well otherwise. Even a bogey on those two “blow up” holes and the result is a 79. Can’t be too upset with the score given those two holes and only 4 FIR’s.

I'm SOOOOOOO close. Touched the magic 82 a couple of times and now sitting consistently in 86-89 range. Those two blow up holes every single round will be the death of me.

Followed up my earlier rounds of 79 and 83 with a +4 round of 75 (37/38 - par 71)

Not played this course for a while but it is relatively short compared to my home course. Weather was cool and misty with a bit of wind that was enough to cause problems at times judging club selection

Had a lot of birdie chances but only managed to convert one on tricky greens but slightly slower than they looked due to the moisture

5 bogeys, 1 birdie and the rest were pars

Followed up my earlier rounds of 79 and 83 with a +4 round of 75 (37/38 - par 71)

Not played this course for a while but it is relatively short compared to my home course. Weather was cool and misty with a bit of wind that was enough to cause problems at times judging club selection

Had a lot of birdie chances but only managed to convert one on tricky greens but slightly slower than they looked due to the moisture

Great round Doc.

Nice playing!

Had an impromptu 9 hole round last night. It was the first time getting out since I broke 80 for the first time in late July.

I came back and shot a 38! Driver was amazing last night. I hit 4 of 7 fairways, but my misses were just barely off the fairway, save for the first hole. I hit 7 of the 9 greens in regulation, and had 16 putts. Only one 3 putt, but it was on a difficult pin position, where if you miss long, you're rolling down a hill, so I can forgive myself for that one. Playing some of the best golf ever, and really enjoying it right now!

Shot an 86 yesterday. Thought I was in track being 4 over on the front 9, my best score to date. Only to double bogey the next 2 holes, suddenly my score doubled. Ended 10 over on the back 9 which is the easier side of the course. Played a second 18 to get in some extra practice. We’ll give it another go this morning.

Shot an 86 yesterday. Thought I was in track being 4 over on the front 9, my best score to date. Only to double bogey the next 2 holes, suddenly my score doubled. Ended 10 over on the back 9 which is the easier side of the course. Played a second 18 to get in some extra practice. We’ll give it another go this morning.
Just eliminate those few mistakes, and you're there! You got this!

Out of my last 20 rounds I have dabbled in the low 80s three times. 80 was SO close, yet reachable. Got to make it soon just have to keep those high 80s and low 90s in the rear view mirror. LOL

5th round of the week and back at my home course this morning
Conditions were cool and damp under foot but the greens were running quite well still despite this

Started with a birdie but followed it with a bogey on the long par 3 2nd hole annoyingly, the had a couple other annoying holes with some double bogeys but still ended up at +5 gross for the front 9

Back 9 I managed to keep things pretty solid and stood on the 18th tee knowing a birdie would mean a round of 80 today

Hit 4i off the tee up the hill to leave about 140yds left to the middle of the green. Wind was against so I hit a nice 7i up the hill to the green and left myself about a 10ft putt that I rolled in for the 3rd birdie of my round and a nice 80

Annoyed with the 2 double bogeys but still pleased with how I managed to recover from them to score quite well

Put up a 41/43 today. Back could have easily been 2-3 better. Getting close!

Which feels nice because Tuesday I belonged in the "trying to break 100" club. Whew it was ugly.

Back