Trying to Break 80 Club

Had a slump through most of July.
Generally mid 80’s so solid enough.
This last week has been more like it though. 4 rounds played. A 78, 86, 79 and a 73. Hopefully this is the start of a decent run.
managed to get handicap down to 9 exactly and just hovering there now. Want to push on and be down to 7 or so.

So close Friday, 82. Didn't start off well on the front 9 ending with a 44. Two 3 putt greens as well, one where it a total mental breakdown. The back 9 was super solid and I thought I had a chance on the final hole. This hole has been a nemesis for me this year, mostly due to poor driving. My drive found the fairway and left me 154 to the hole. The ball was a bit above my feet and decided to aim to the right side of the green with the pin tight to the left. Figured the ball would move the left a bit. Good strike but stayed dead straight, hit the green mounding and kicked to the right and left me with a poor lie. No short game magic and ended walking away with my only double on the back and a 82. Getting close and know it will go down this season.

42-40/82 yesterday. My lowest score and third 82 of the year and second in a row! This one came on a par 72 course and was possibly the best 82 of the year. 3 drops today and two coming off iron shots. I’m almost there!

Get this, shot an 82 yesterday...with 4 OB's. :LOL: 3 were out by about a foot or so.

So from the number one tee to 18 green, I have it in me to shoot a 74.:unsure:
It’s a game of inches. That’s a heck of an 82!

Had a slump through most of July.
Generally mid 80’s so solid enough.
This last week has been more like it though. 4 rounds played. A 78, 86, 79 and a 73. Hopefully this is the start of a decent run.
managed to get handicap down to 9 exactly and just hovering there now. Want to push on and be down to 7 or so.
Dang that 73 ought to help!

Get this, shot an 82 yesterday...with 4 OB's. :LOL: 3 were out by about a foot or so.

So from the number one tee to 18 green, I have it in me to shoot a 74.:unsure:
Had something similar on Friday. Shot an 80 with the balls in the water. Three worst swings of the day.

Yesterday was as good a chance as I’m going to get and I choked / sucked it away. +3 heading to the 9th, a par 5 with a FW wide enough to land a plane, but a hole that is seriously in my head. I pull it left OB leading to the dreaded par 5 double bogey. A couple more like that on the back. A couple of birdie putts that burned edges. 41/43-84. #idiot.
Different day same basic story.

Shot 82 today (41-41). Good day off the tee. Had some trouble getting up and down on the front in a few easy-ish situations. Putting was okay. Kept pulling the ball today, but made it work. Overall, pretty disappointed with how I played. But I guess it’s a good sign that things are heading in the right direction when I feel like I played poorly and still shot 82, and that’s after a couple weeks off.

Really should have done it today. Lost probably 5 strokes or more of the greens burning edges. Shot a (+13) 83 on a short (6000ish yard) par 70 course.

Golf is a silly game. Shot 82 over the weekend and felt like I had a really really bad ball striking day. A couple of weeks ago I felt like i was striking the ball really well and shot 83.

I’m playing a tough course with brutal sloped greens on Saturday. My game is solid so I have hope, but breaking 80 is probably more likely at the easier course Sunday that I’ve never played before.

Took a look at my stats just now and there are some alarming trends:

Looking only at par 4's and par 5's here are my scoring averages when teeing off with each club:

Driver (+0.69)
3-Wood (+0.76)
2-Hybrid (+1.25)
3 iron (+1.24)
4 iron (+1.07)
5 iron (+1.43)
6 iron (+1.00) *Only two holes

Now this might be because I tend to take lesser club on narrower holes, but I'm also only hitting 10% more fairways when teeing off with less than 3-wood, and only hitting 5% more fairways with 3-wood than driver. Now I'm not going to cease hitting irons of the tee, but I'm going to try to be more aggressive with hitting driver or at least 3-wood. Specifically on holes that are just narrow but have no extra trouble where my driver would be landing. Nevertheless, it seems pretty clear that taking less club off the tee is not working out for me.

Shot 41-41-82 while playing the four par fives (where I typically score the best) 9 over par. Just had an absolutely dreadful day with my long irons and woods - luckily I hit my driver well so I didn't have to hit them on any par fours.

Last edited:
Too many double bogeys today in the first round of our club champs saw me shoot a disappointing 85 in some ways

However, strong winds and greens running at 10.5 was not the usual conditions so I wasn't too upset with the score

Hopefully I can play a bit better tomorrow

39/44 for 83 today! A couple of doubles on the back but overall not a bad day. Putting was good along with the chipping-pitching i didn't leave any short. Tee game was ok and can always be better and i am always working on that part of my game.

I was so close yesterday with an 82. You can almost smell breaking 80 sometimes like cooking on the grill and then you are a few strokes short of the goal o_O

Been struggling a bit with my approach game. Once I get that corrected I feel like it will happen. This week I shot an 89 and an 85.

Took a look at my stats just now and there are some alarming trends:

Looking only at par 4's and par 5's here are my scoring averages when teeing off with each club:

Driver (+0.69)
3-Wood (+0.76)
2-Hybrid (+1.25)
3 iron (+1.24)
4 iron (+1.07)
5 iron (+1.43)
6 iron (+1.00) *Only two holes

Now this might be because I tend to take lesser club on narrower holes, but I'm also only hitting 10% more fairways when teeing off with less than 3-wood, and only hitting 5% more fairways with 3-wood than driver. Now I'm not going to cease hitting irons of the tee, but I'm going to try to be more aggressive with hitting driver or at least 3-wood. Specifically on holes that are just narrow but have no extra trouble where my driver would be landing. Nevertheless, it seems pretty clear that taking less club off the tee is not working out for me.
This is concsistent with something I read recently where a study found player lose upwards of 20 yards and gain a very nominal amount of accuracy by playing less than driver.

Yesterday's 79 was my first <80 round in competition. The course was setup hard, and I am happy I stayed focused and didn't give up after a rough start on the front 9. Today we are paired up based on score. I look forward to that. Last night I changed out the counter balance in my putter and worked on a claw grip for shorter putts. If that feels off, I will go left hand low. Whatever it takes. One of my putting weaknesses is when my right hand gets too active in the stroke. This is more common when I am tense. Hopefully I can improve upon yesterday. The 20 putts on the front 9 was bonkers. I did bring that down to 15 on the back 9. I enjoy playing under pressure; that's where the learning happens for me.

Second day of Club Championship and despite starting and finishing with a double bogey I still managed to shoot a 78 today

Finished the weekend shooting 1 under my handicap over the 2 rounds so not too disappointed considering the weather and greens running at almost 11

Back