Trying to Break 80 Club

Guess I should edit that. :p I only get to golf once a week currently because of work, I got excited.
I know that feeling...Today was the first time in a few weeks for me due to work and the extension we have are having built at the moment

Trying to make the most of any chance before the weather stops us completely

I know that feeling...Today was the first time in a few weeks for me due to work and the extension we have are having built at the moment

Trying to make the most of any chance before the weather stops us completely
Weather was so nice today, 44° when we started and 65 when we finished, barely any wind at all. Just a beautiful fall day.

41/41 for an 82 yesterday. Sanded greens on 16 of 18 holes meant different speed with each green and sometimes each putt.

Different, more challenging, Parks and Recreation course tomorrow. Former Nationwide tour stop, notorious for undulating, quick greens. It’s a great course and would still be on Korn Ferry tour if the county would meet the money paid by a private country club.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

42/40 today for an 82. Two brain dead holes on each side wrecked what could have been an excellent round, one was a triple on a par three. On all 4 hole, just let emotions get in the way of decent play.

Another round tomorrow on a less challenging course, but playing longer by 200 yards. We’ll see how it goes.

Did it!

Hole 1 double bogey.

41 on the front, 37 on the back.

One birdie, lots of pars and a few bogeys. Course differential was 7, so I'm taking it as officially breaking 80.

The lesson with Mike Adams did translate to the course, on a cold wet morning, I was putting shots 10-20 yards longer with little effort. Helped my putting was good too.

Did it!

Hole 1 double bogey.

41 on the front, 37 on the back.

One birdie, lots of pars and a few bogeys. Course differential was 7, so I'm taking it as officially breaking 80.

The lesson with Mike Adams did translate to the course, on a cold wet morning, I was putting shots 10-20 yards longer with little effort. Helped my putting was good too.
Congratulations on breaking 80!!!!! Course differential doesn't matter much, it's the accomplishment that matters. Good job.

Backed it up with a 42 on front 9, then a +1 on 5 extra holes.

Got out this afternoon and managed to get in 18 holes

Started out quite well with a 40 on the front 9 which included a double bogey so I wasn't too unhappy but had a nightmare on the back 9 with 2 lost balls which both led to double bogeys as well

Stood on the 18th tee knowing a birdie would mean a final round of 81 and I hit a decent tee shot, wedge pin high about 10ft right of the pin and sank the putt to play to my handicap

40-41 for a total 81

There was a really good article in the August issue of Golf Magazine on breaking 80. It was based on an analysis of golfers that shoot 80 vs. 90 and then proposed realistic adjustments or improvements to close the gaps.

39/41=80. Hit a lot of fairways but not a lot of greens. Short game and putter kept me in the game.

There was a really good article in the August issue of Golf Magazine on breaking 80. It was based on an analysis of golfers that shoot 80 vs. 90 and then proposed realistic adjustments or improvements to close the gaps.

A nice feature of the Garmin golf watch is the golf app. From it, I know that my GIR is 37% and my primary miss is short, 36%, o the approach shots (just like the article says). Biggest problem is the 175 - 199 yard distance, a.k.a. 400 yard+ par fours. Next is the 150 - 174 yard approach.

Guess I better work on those distances. More time with the 7 - 4 irons, while continuing to improve the 80- 125 yard accuracy.

After a month of flirting with not breaking 100 I am back! Focused on getting in some practice time and developing a swing thought. Shot an 82 yesterday with a drive OB and another into a pond. Trouble off the tee still costing me, but with this swing I think I’m back in the game.

Reality reared its ugly head yesterday. After a couple doubles I just stopped tracking score. Greens were fast and hard. Like shockingly so. But a poor tee performance and poor iron play didn't help.

Yowza golf is humbling.

Reality reared its ugly head yesterday. After a couple doubles I just stopped tracking score. Greens were fast and hard. Like shockingly so. But a poor tee performance and poor iron play didn't help.

Yowza golf is humbling.

That’s why we keep playing!

Could not hit a green from 105-110 to save my life on the front 9, lots of mediocre chips and burned edge/lip out 6 footers. I was not pleased with the front, made the turn and decided to stop trying to steer the ball. Shot +2 on the back with two bogeys. Ended at 80 on the button. This is what I get for not touching golf clubs more than twice a month. Nice to know my new normal is low 80s without practice.

40-41 with Doubles on 1 and 9.

The double on 1 hurt because I was 142 out from some light rough and fanned an 8iron right of the green, pin was front right. Tried an open faced 58* wedge shot only for it to land short of the green. Chipped. Missed the bogey putt and walk away with 6 after having an 8iron in my hand.

I really wasn't disappointed in any area. No 3 putts. Chipping solid. 1 great bunker shot, 1 bad bunker shot. It was just the type of Golf I play. 8 FIR and 8 GIR was nice!

Last edited:
40-41 with Doubles on 1 and 9.

The double on 1 hurt because I was 142 out from some light rough and fanned an 8iron right of the green, pin was front right. Tried an open faced 58* wedge shot only for it to land short of the green. Chipped. Missed the bogey putt and walk away with 6 after having an 8iron in my hand.

I really want disappointed in any area. No 3 putts. Chipping solid. 1 great bunker shot, 1 bad bunker shot. It was just the type of Golf I play. 8 FIR and 8 GIR was nice!
The shot from 142 yards out with your 8-iron, did you aim for the middle of the green or did you go to the right side of the green after the pin? I don't know what your handicap is, but often times I will shoot to the middle of the green away from trouble just to get it on the green. I am in somewhat of a similar situation as you, trying to break 80 during tournament-style play. I have done it many times on my home course during casual golf, playing by all the rules, but on more difficult courses during tournament play I have not. I have had many scores around 80 but just can't crack the 80 mark. When I am at home contemplating one of these rounds, I can always pick out times when I should have decided on a different approach to my course management that cost me strokes. :unsure:

The shot from 142 yards out with your 8-iron, did you aim for the middle of the green or did you go to the right side of the green after the pin? I don't know what your handicap is, but often times I will shoot to the middle of the green away from trouble just to get it on the green. I am in somewhat of a similar situation as you, trying to break 80 during tournament-style play.
That's a great goal but I don't play tournaments. Casual 4-Life haha.

I did however play this past round of Golf without moving my ball and putting everything out. Makes a difference when you play at a Country Club, even if it isn't Pinehurst because of the upkeep and plush fairways/rough. Courses I play locally yeah I'll roll it a few inches if I need to, they aren't the best in town, which is whatever to me.

On the 8iron I play a draw, I did aim a little right of the green but I just swung very late and as soon as I hit it was just like "F-Me." It was pin high on a fanned shot so if I hit a good shot I would've been towards the back of the green with a long look at birdie, but it was all user error. Corrected that and enjoyed the rest of my round.

Alright gents, I’m finally making the jump to this thread from the breaking 90.
With tomorrow’s ghin revision, I should be an 11.0. I’ve got 9 of my last 10 rounds under 90, with the exception being a 90 on the nose.
A couple 82’s and 81’s.

tonight I flirted again on 9 holes. Posting a 41, 5 bogies, 4 pars, and a bad 18 putts.
I know I need to be working on short game, and plan to do so quite a bit.

Been practicing my putting a lot lately and I feel I've had a breakthrough. For whatever reason, I've always putted using equal pressure on both hands. Essentially I've never really assigned a dominant hand in my brain during putting. From my practice sessions and previous memories on the course, I believe this caused a lot of deceleration in my putts and tendencies for pulls and pushes under pressure. Just never any sense of distance, generally always leaving putts short unless I murder it past the hole.

I spent all day today just putting with a right hand dominant stroke and it feels so much better. I feel like I can really dictate the pace better on my lag putts and the short putts don't feel like a random 50/50. Was able to judge distance and it was a nice swing thought to just focus on my right hand having a good backswing/follow through.

I'm curious how this plays out on the course this Saturday. Just being able to confidently make those 6 feet putts at a respectable clip could bring my scores down to low 80s.

Things have settled down around here after a 2020 summer 😣 and I’ve finally gotten back into a practice routine. I was playing great golf in the middle of the summer and even put together back to back 82’s in the middle of the run. Then I tweaked my back and played without any practice and things kind of snowballed.

It got so bad that I forced myself to make time and get back on the SkyTrak last week before I played. Went out and dropped 15 strokes to shoot my 4th 82 of the season. I’ve put in a few nights on the SkyTrak this week and am hoping to go low again this weekend.

Back