Trying to Break 80 Club

Saturday I duffed my first two tee shots before settling in to that wonderful state of hit the ball, find the ball, hit the ball, find the ball. By the time I got to 18 it dawned on me I had a pretty good round going, that’s when my head popped out of the bubble. My drive missed the fairway but was serviceable, the next shot was a 140 yd lay up to set up an approach, I duffed that one and hit a wedge just short of a lake. Now my approach was halfway between a pitcher and gap wedge. I guess the water got in my head, I hit the longer club and overshot the green. A lame chip and two putts gave me an 82. I’ve had a few mid eighties rounds but this is the closest I’ve ever come to breaking 80.

+6 thru 16 in cold breezy conditions and I decided it would be best to go +3 in the last 2 holes to shoot an 80. happy with the score especially considering my irons were crap but it feels like i "could have" broken 80 like 4 times over the last few months. must need some gum to enhance my focus or something. ;)

First time out in 3 weeks today. Won’t post score, suffice it to say the layoff, cool temps, 39° to start, and 15 mph northerlies, proved to be more of a challenge than I was up to. But the sun was shining and the fellowship were top notch.

Not looking good for the next 10 days due to preslopitation and sub normal temps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted my second straight sub-80 round on the simulator. Really hope I can make this a trend that will transfer over when I can get out and play again.
572AF64B-87A2-41BC-BA50-EEAD829360FF.jpeg

Had to sop after 11 holes today. So-so scoring to that point, but stopped because right knee wouldn’t take the lateral forces exerted when making any kind of shot. Not sure how I injured it, probably when moving furniture to storage last Thursday, though I can’t think of any issues when doing that. Probably just age catching up to me. Nah!

Think I’ll give it at least a week before trying again, longer if needed.

Had to sop after 11 holes today. So-so scoring to that point, but stopped because right knee wouldn’t take the lateral forces exerted when making any kind of shot. Not sure how I injured it, probably when moving furniture to storage last Thursday, though I can’t think of any issues when doing that. Probably just age catching up to me. Nah!

Think I’ll give it at least a week before trying again, longer if needed.

Give it some rest and checked if needed. Hope you heal up quick.

37/41 last Friday...I got a little ahead of myself mentally when I was +1 through like 12...woulda, coulda, shoulda :LOL:

Pair of 79's this weekend. Goal this year is to live in this thread every time I play. Big task but a good challenge.

I haven't played a real round of golf since last November. Our driving range has TopTracer, so I have been playing virtual golf. I consistently shoot in the 70s, and occasionally break par. However, the thing about virtual golf is you always have a great lie, and the courses can be a bit forgiving. Putting is a challenge though. In lieu of putting you have to hit a 66 yard shot to a specific target. The circles you have to land the ball in can be very small, or quite large, depending on how close your approach shot is to the hole. Be nice if I could replicate this kind of scoring playing real golf, lol.

IMG_3075.JPG

75 today and had a double bogey.

I'm hopeful to stay in the 80s the beginning of this year. Haven't been good with my practice, and it shows. Been hitting the sim every day for the past couple weeks, and swing is coming around, but yeesh golf is a perishable skill.

Starting with an 88 this year. Observations were:
  1. 2 OB and 1 hazard off the tee
  2. Missed too many greens
  3. Inability to get up and down
It was in the 30’s when we teed off and I was very smart and didn’t plan for that 🤷‍♂️ but really a fairly positive round to build off.

Years ago I was a club member and played a lot. I reached a 2 handicap. My lowest score was a 68. Additionally, I’ve shot a 69 and numerous 70’s.
About 4 years ago I left golf to pursue a YouTube fishing channel that was very time demanding, leaving me no time for golf. I came to my senses about 5 months ago and returned to golf pursuing a golf channel. I expected to break 80 very quickly, but have failed to do so. I’ve shot 80 3.times and recently was 1 over after 10 holes, but I’m still trying to break this crazy barrier🤨. I know it will happen soon, I’m just flabbergasted that I’m struggling to do it.

I have a feeling I’m going to take a big leap this year when it comes to improvement. Don’t think I’ll break 80 this year but I feel like I’ll come close. I can finally string 3-4 pars together at a time

Pretty tight scoring in my 6.5 rounds this year
  • 44 (9 holes)
The two 87’s are at the hardest course of the bunch. Both rounds had two triple bogeys and two or three doubles. I need to work on eliminating those holes and I will really be threatening 70’s.

Changed most of my bag this year and just shot 77 in my 2nd round. Hit 13 greens and had 3 three putts so there was still a lot left out there. Pretty crazy after not breaking 80 at all last year.

On Saturday the weather was beautiful...low 70s and sunny. Yesterday, it was cloudy, raw, windy, and cold with windchills in the upper 30s. I shot a 78 on Saturday, and a 70 yesterday (par 70). Go figure.

I finally did it!!!!
my first time breaking 80!
It all came together, and I know I still left several shots, and had a couple 3 putts.

(started on hole 16).

View attachment 9003785
Congrats on a great score and achievement. It will get easier now to do it.

Back