Trying to Break 80 Club

45 in league... had a triple on one hole after trying a bit of a hero shot from jail that bounced back at me.

Still encouraged, though - I am hitting it better than ever but not scoring just yet; I don't have my yardages figured out just yet now that I'm making consistent contact.

41/47-88 today... getting closer.

Had 4 bad misses that were well struck but just poor course management. The greens were crazy firm and I failed to adjust quickly enough. All 3 hit the middle of the green and ran off. Once I finally started taking less club and running them on things evened out.

84 on a par 70 today. Just wasn’t sharp enough with the irons or wedges. Still at the point where I feel like a hot day on and around the greens can get me there.

40/40=80. Double bogey on 18:banghead:

although i have shot in the 80s a few times now, it has never occurred to me that i might break 80 one day...

although i have shot in the 80s a few times now, it has never occurred to me that i might break 80 one day...
It’s a beautiful prospect!

Only played 15 holes on Saturday as I didn't want to push my back too far, but after the 15 holes I was at 69 with 3 par 4s left to finish the round - of those 3 holes I would normally expect 2 pars and 1 bogey, so I would potentially have been looking at an 82

Found myself below 80 at Iron Valley on Sunday. A little luck certainly helped; driver was off with pushes on straight holes and straight shots on dog leg right holes, but trees bounced me back into play a few times, a chip in birdie always helps, and a few wedges hit close put me at 77. Better putting than Saturday (shot 83). Very happy!

Took a step back with a 44/46-90 yesterday but was actually pleased with it.

Had a great warm up session and felt dialed, took it to the first tee and ripped one down the middle. Missed the green but made bogey. Same story on 2.

Pull hook OB on 3... we play OB as a lateral hazard in this league so I dropped and took a stroke. Ended up making bogey, which was a good save.

From there things went sideways with a couple double bogeys as bad habits crept in...

...but here’s the encouraging part: I kept grinding and pulled it back together, finishing strong with two pars.

Had an 87 yesterday with 3 OB penalties :banghead:

I managed to stay in the moment pretty well despite some frustrating play. I did myself no favors on the green. Really need to sharpen my ball striking as that’s been a weakness all year. New golf ball going in the bag for the next round, so that could take some adjusting to as well.

Had an 87 yesterday with 3 OB penalties :banghead:

I managed to stay in the moment pretty well despite some frustrating play. I did myself no favors on the green. Really need to sharpen my ball striking as that’s been a weakness all year. New golf ball going in the bag for the next round, so that could take some adjusting to as well.
87 is solid with penalties, though a tough number to write down. What ball will you be gaming next time?

87 is solid with penalties, though a tough number to write down. What ball will you be gaming next time?
Testing Chrome Soft and Chrome Soft X.

Alrighty then... league night. Looking to be under 40. I think I shall leave the driver in the car. Last time I played this course with 3w off the tee I hit 7 out of 7 fairways.

I have broken 80 a bunch of times before, but just had my first sub 80 round of this year with a 39/40 = 79 on Sunday. Room to improve with some pretty crappy chips too!

I'm happy to be in this club, broke 90 for the first time last month which was my original goal to do by the end of summer.

I doubt I will ever break 80, I just don't have the time to put into it, sure do love trying though. I'm content being a bogey golfer as golf is just a fun hobby for me. Maybe someday everything will click and it will happen but I'm not worried about it.

Good luck though guys, pulling for ya!

10 years later, did you ever break 80?

10 years later, did you ever break 80?

No sir, 83 is as close as I ever got, and that was a short 5600 par 70.

I play a lot less now, so happy to break 90 consistently still.

Missed a short one on the last hole... 40. Ugh.

I guess I qualify for this thread now. I’m normally shooting low/mid 80s (on my home course), and have shot 7 rounds in the 70s so far this year, with my best being a 74. I’m nowhere near doing it all the time, but it’s nice to be dipping down there occasionally!

Back