Trying to Break 80 Club

Mixed couple of days for me

Disappointing 81 on Saturday in the league match on a shorter course where I think par was 69 - too many doubles despite 2 birdies

Yesterday in one of our club majors I shot 80 on the nose with a 1 over par back nine. Front 9 seemed a struggle for some reason with 7 bogeys for a 43 to start

Getting closer but still not quite there yet

I broke through yesterday in shocking fashion, shooting a 76! That’s 5 strokes better than my best score in the last 8 years. It was surprising as temps were in the 40’s with a fine rain and 2 club wind. I was coming off an 88 the day before at the same course. And I didn’t eat anything before or during the 8:20am round for fear that the previous night’s Chinese food would make me pay. Anyway, not ideal conditions for a round.

I hit the first 9 fairways and went out with 1 birdie, 3 pars, and 5 bogeys. Pretty standard stuff. I could have made up a few strokes with better chipping, missed one short putt, and had a 3 putt from 50 feet. Did make a trio of putts over 5 feet including a 30 footer (for bogey) and had some nice chips. The back nine was 2 birdies, 2 bogeys, and the rest pars. Solid golf and keeping the ball in play. Putting was pretty great! The two holes below were good examples of keeping my head down and grinding. Really hope I can keep this solid stretch of golf going!
9646B52E-D2A3-414C-A1CB-0D8D15096B43.jpegECBD2226-693C-4FEA-838B-4434E5311899.jpeg

Been hovering in the low 80's so far this year. Been focusing on my short game each night, hitting probably 100 or so shots from various conditions in the back yard. I typically hit up to 75 yard shots, but been really trying to hone in on 50 yards and in. Getting out for a round tomorrow, so hoping to see some on course payoff!

Breaking 80 is always my goal when I play. I had a 76 three weeks ago but that's my only sub 80 round this year. Last year I had six rounds in the 70s. At age 71 it's getting harder. I still play a 6250 yard set of tees. I should probably swallow my pride and move up. However, my group doesn't want to move as they're a few years younger. They keep pointing out that I'm usually the medalist so I guess my short game keeps me competitive from that distance.

I broke through yesterday in shocking fashion, shooting a 76! That’s 5 strokes better than my best score in the last 8 years. It was surprising as temps were in the 40’s with a fine rain and 2 club wind. I was coming off an 88 the day before at the same course. And I didn’t eat anything before or during the 8:20am round for fear that the previous night’s Chinese food would make me pay. Anyway, not ideal conditions for a round.

I hit the first 9 fairways and went out with 1 birdie, 3 pars, and 5 bogeys. Pretty standard stuff. I could have made up a few strokes with better chipping, missed one short putt, and had a 3 putt from 50 feet. Did make a trio of putts over 5 feet including a 30 footer (for bogey) and had some nice chips. The back nine was 2 birdies, 2 bogeys, and the rest pars. Solid golf and keeping the ball in play. Putting was pretty great! The two holes below were good examples of keeping my head down and grinding. Really hope I can keep this solid stretch of golf going!
Congrats on the PB! Solid putting out there.

Club Major Score.png

That round on Sunday got me a 4th place finish in the first of our club majors, which was pleasing in some ways, but frustrating in others when I look at the front 9 and what might have been

1st hole - 3 putt after being on the wrong tier of the green
6th hole - after putting my tee shot in a terrible lie and having to hack it out and it didn't hold the green and ran through to the back edge with the pin at the front
7th hole - tee shot finished about 10ft left of the pin, but unfortunately that was in thick rough on a downhill lie and I had to make sure it came out and it ran a good 20ft past the pin
8th hole - another 3 putt after having a complete brain freeze and leaving my first putt way short
9th hole - after finding a fairway bunker off the tee, I got the ball back in play but then chunked my 3rd shot and couldn't get up and down to save par

Ironically, holes 3, 12 and 17 are rated as stroke index 1, 2, and 4 respectively and I played those in 1 under par.....go figure.....

I am taking the positives from the round, especially the way I managed to get back on track on the back 9 and hopefully I will be able to post some rounds in the 70's again soon

Almost... there...

41 today.

Bogeyed one, which is fine, it’s a long par 4 that I have trouble reaching so I play doe bogey.

Doubled 2. Missed in the bad place.

Then ripped off pars on 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8. It was a little bit smoke and mirrors as I had to get up/down on 4, 5 and 6, but hey that’s why I practice the short game.

So I was +3 on the 9th tee. Got out of position, took a penalty and made triple. Sigh.

Trending in the wrong direction, and I need to change my approach shots. Shot an 88 yesterday. Losing strokes there the most, and mainly from 100-150.

Hit 50% fairways. 5 up and downs. Lowest # of putts I've had this year, which ties in with my good short game. But irons, just not hitting greens. 22% GIR killing my chances at birdies.

At least I know where to focus now!

Long time, no post.

Fired a 79 yesterday and it’s been a while.

Golf is a crazy game and yesterday felt very “attainable” after it actually happened.

1 double and 1 triple, both after birdies for goodness sake.

Other than that, it was fairways and greens and respectable lag putting. Had to make a 5 footer for par on 18, so fun to watch it drop. I wasn’t tracking my score, but I thought it would be close and was glad the first number was a 7.

GHIN is 14, so I play to a 15 at my club. Won low net with a 64 so everyone hates me right now. All good, what a great game! I will try to do it again tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

36/39=75 today for me. 2 birdies, 3 bogeys, 1 double bogey and 12 pars.

I felt good today, keeping most of my drives in play but on 9, 10, and 11, I went triple, triple, triple. That dashed my hopes of breaking 80 and I almost didn’t break 90.
4 over through 8, And 3 over on the last 6.
5 three putts. I hit 10 greens but was either out of position or had a 50+ foot birdie putt.
Tough round at Raven’s Claw today.

Played yesterday in a league match and things were going fairly well until my back gave out :mad:

It was a course I am not familiar with, yet for the front 9 I shot 40, and on the back 9 I was 1 over my handicap after 15 holes, so would have been on course to shoot 81 unless I could sneak a birdie somewhere in the last couple of holes, but on the 16th hole my back spasmed and I could barely swing a club for the last 3 holes and finished at somewhere round the high 80's

43/45-88.

38 putts...no bueno. 5 three putts. Burned at least 6 edges.

Shot an 80 yesterday that could should have been lower. I had 7 straight GIR before kind of falling apart on the back. Went out at +3 with 19 putts... had a ball that was OB by 5 feet on the back and then an ugly triple bogey on 17. So close!

43 in league... choked on #9 with a triple.

Ball striking has vastly improved since the start of the season. Struggling with the putter the last few rounds, but it’ll come around.

Breaking 80 is hard. I've only done it once so far this year. I shot 76 back in April, but 82 is my lowest since then. I'm playing tees that are 6250 yards and at age 71 I've lost a lot of distance off the tee. I can usually make par and occasionally a birdie if I chip and putt well. The problem is double bogies. I seem to always screw up one or two holes a round.

I kept score for my own ball last night in our pairs knockout, and despite losing on the 15th, I was 1 under my handicap and shot 71 for 16 holes with 2 par 4's that we missed out (16 and 17)

Disappointed to lose our match, but fairly happy overall with how I played - didn't hit too many bad shots and scrambled quite well, just needed a few more putts to drop

Played 9 last night and managed a straight 40 which included a penalty after finding water off the 4th tee - was annoyed to find the ball had reached the water, but happy with the strike and distance I got

Well, my last round was good news/bad news. I finally played 18 without a double bogie, but alas; I only made two pars. My chipping and putting was terrible. It was "one of those days" where I just could not get a decent break. It's true that when you're playing well you get good breaks but when you're playing poorly you get bad breaks. My playing partner shot 72 (one over on our course). I cut him two shots. We won a few bucks, but I felt bad collecting my share.

I think a big difference for those who wish to break 80 has to do with approach shots to the green. I find myself with good looks into the green but can I get it close to the hole or even on the green. My short game has been suffering and I think it is the reason it is difficult to break 80.

I never wanted to post in this thread because I thought it was too ambitious, but as a 15 handicap I shot a 76 today playing ball-in-hole!!
Had my first time with 3 birdies in one round and first 9 holes under par ever!

I never wanted to post in this thread because I thought it was too ambitious, but as a 15 handicap I shot a 76 today playing ball-in-hole!!
Had my first time with 3 birdies in one round and first 9 holes under par ever!
Congrats on a great round!!!!!

83 today. I was on track for a sub-80 round until I apparently forgot how to play golf on holes 15 and 16, with a triple and double.

Back