Trying to Break 80 Club

Threatened today with an 82. This was my first round this playing from the back tees at my home course. Had an 8 on the easiest par 4 on the back, but only one double bogey and a couple birdies. Game feels good right now!

75 today. Nice relaxing round where everything worked well

75 today. Nice relaxing round where everything worked well

Great round! Those kinds of rounds are a real blessing...where it seems it's kind of effortless, well as effortless that golf can ever be, lol.

I am in the middle of revamping my swing. I hit shots I never hit before...but I also hit a lot of really bad shots. I realize my scores will go up, and they have, but I just need to be patient and stick with it.

Snuck under the wire with a 79 today, and totally different than yesterday. Lots of scrambling, but makes for a fun rewarding round.

Went out in 40 and back in 46 today. Got tired (should’ve brought snacks) and fell apart a bit on the back.

Putter was hot… 14 on the front and 16 on the back.

Threatened today with an 82. This was my first round this playing from the back tees at my home course. Had an 8 on the easiest par 4 on the back, but only one double bogey and a couple birdies. Game feels good right now!
Solid round from the tips! Funny how some holes may play easier from the blacks when bunkers are out of reach.

I was close this weekend with 2 rounds of 82. Saturday at my home course was a tale of 2 nine's; +8 on the front, +2 on the back. 3 birdies, but 3 doubles on the front hurt. 29 putts helped keep the score down and I was able to get up and down from bunkers twice.

Sunday was played at a tight course with doglegs everywhere. My short game helped a lot but I had to punch out from trees 6 times. I felt better after hitting the pin on an approach which ended up being a 4 inch tap in birdie. That one was fun. :)

SOOOOOOOO close to breaking 80 this weekend. 12 GIRs and 1 penalty stroke on an awkward bounce into the hazard on hole 1. Biggest downfall, 37 putts. Left 3 birdie putts hanging on the lip and missed 2 4 foot putts for par. We'll get em next time!

83 on Sunday on a course I have never played before, so I have mixed feelings about it

It is definitely a course you need to know to score well on, there are a lot of angled holes where you can cut off more of the corner than you think, other holes with blind landing areas cost me 2 balls that we couldn't find, and due to the hilly terrain there were quite a few blind shots with slopes that threw your ball off the fairway at times

The 2 lost balls were frustrating, one was a slightly missed shot (with a blind landing area) that must have hit a tree and bounced somewhere other than where we expected, and the second was another slightly missed tee shot that was likely sat down in rough between 2 holes, but again it was a blind landing area so we didn't have a reference point other than a rough idea based on where my provisional was in the fairway

On a positive note, I got my driver back on track on the back 9 and started splitting fairways with it, and even hit it on holes where it probably wouldn't normally be the first choice due to the length of the hole, but I was feeling confident

Fast forward to yesterday afternoon and our mixed foursomes knockout match and, due to maintenance we had to start on the other side of the course (9-17), with OB all down the left and trees right on the par 5 9th hole, I put the first shot of the day straight down the middle of the fairway, Jen hit a nice shot over the brow of the hill and I stuck an approach to about 6ft

Final result was we won 6&4, so I think the next match is the semi-final

Put in a good round at Windham CC today. Played with my son Jeff and played 18 in a couple of ticks over 3 hours, walking. We have gotten a ton of rain here in the area of New England where I live. There is no roll out, at all. We've been on vacation and today's round was a spur of the moment decision. We played as a twosome and had no one behind us and when we caught up to a foursome in front of us they let us play through on the 10th tee. I hit every fairway on the front, 6 there being 3 par 3s on the front, from the tee using driver 4 holes and a 4w two others. On the back 5 out of 8, one I drove past the fairway with the 4W. I never had hit it that far before. The area of the game I struggled with was wedge play. With the course so soft I just haven't figured out how to strike the wedges consistently. Most coming up short. There were a couple beaver pelts flying today. Par for the course is 71 and I came in with an 81. I know I left a lot out there only having only 6 GIRs. Anyone have any soggy fairway wedge tips, I'm listening. More rain on the way and I expect conditions to remain soggy for the foreseeable future. Thanks and keep hacking.

Had 81 on Sunday at the home course. It was a lot of missed opportunities, to be honest - had a lot of boring golf type pars, but only had 2 makeable birdie putts and I screwed em both up. Plus I had a really stupid double from 50 yards out center of the fairway, and some missed very makeable par save putts. Cumulatively I had a very reasonable chance to shoot 78 or 79, so it wasn't great.

On the plus side though, I've had a couple 79's already this year, so just need to get a few things together and I'll be right there!

Haven't posted on this thread before so bare with me….
I shoot sub 85 about every other round at this point. Got my handicap down to 14.5 this year. But I feel a bit stuck. I’m not a long hitter. Never have been. So I make my money on accuracy. Fairways. Greens. Small misses. Solid short game. Great putting. That’s been my formula for years. For me, breaking 80 with any consistency and getting down to a single digit comes down to one thing. Driver distance. I just can’t get any consistent distance. Par 3s. Par 5s (laying up) I’m Golden. I make a lot of Pars and some birdies here and there. I have no ego when it come to length on all clubs. I’ll hit a hybrid, fairway wood. Whatever is needed.

All that said, that is 8 holes of 18. Maybe 9 as most courses have a short Par 4 of some kind. So half the holes I end up with some kind of long club into a green. I play the standard tees most of the time. 6000-6200. I can stripe the fairways. But I end up outside of the 150 mark. This is where I get into trouble. I can still club up but my margin for error severely decreases. I can pick my spot and play short of the green yes. But now I’m relying on getting up and down. A lot.

Maybe I’m just ranting a bit. But has any fellow short hitters been successful getting longer with Driver while retaining the accuracy of the other clubs? I don’t mind the length of my 5 wood all the way down to my wedges. But I know (or at least feel like) I’ve gotta get out to at least the 240-250 mark with Driver to get in single digits. Right now I’m 220 down the pipe on a good drive. More often it’s shorter. Hasn’t bothered me a ton until now/this year trying to make my final push below 80.

First time posting in the 80 thread. Until the last few months have been close to flirting with breaking 90.

Got fit for a driver last month, Ping G425 LST, and it has been amazing at keeping me in play much better than I was used to. Hitting more fairways is certainly a plus, but misses aren’t as far right as I was accustomed to. Driver swing will likely always be a work in progress.

Keeping myself in better playing position and in combination of improving iron striking has been working out great. Have had several rounds under 90 and within the last month I have tied and even beat personal bests.

Last week shot an 85 at a course that has eaten my lunch in the past

This morning had a great round and shot an 83!! This included penalties for 2 wayward tee shots.

Playing 2 getable courses this weekend. Hoping to post good news on this forum come Monday. Having a game plan and knowing what I should hit off the tee/where I can be aggressive versus laying up is part of the game plan. Hopefully my short game holds up. I plan to spend some time on the putting green before hand, too. I am excited for the weekend!

Despite the four putt on 18… which I’m not over… it was a solid round.

Struck it well, zero sh@nks. Been focusing on turning instead of swinging and it’s paying off. Two weeks ago I was carrying PW 100y and 7i 140; now those are 115 and 150. Helps a ton having the extra yards.

Annual club tourney (two days, handicapped) is this weekend. Can’t wait.

Been living in the 80s for a while now, finally dove below the line again today with a 79. We moved forward a tee box because it was windy and my partner is dealing with a shoulder injury so we were playing shorter than normal, but I’ll take it any way I can get it!

No part of my game was working great, but everything was working well enough. Had no double bogeys on the card for the first time in a while, which certainly helps!

Day one of the club championship…

3B8D4C24-5B3C-4F6D-AEB6-C50B8FE6D79F.jpeg

39/43-82.

We were first off the box at 6:20. I brought plenty of water and snacks but by 15 or so I was gassed (it’s HOT and humid) and just had to grind thru the last few holes.

I was in the green side bunker on the par 5 17th in 3, then left a lazy, tired bunker shot in the same bunker, hit another out but short and carded an 8. Bounced back for a par on 18.

Outside of the 8, super solid round, and I feel good about tomorrow. Sneaking up on 80…

Should have made it below 80 today but 3 double bogeys meant I finished with 80 on the nose

Also, 3 putting the last didn't improve my mood any either, but to shoot 80 with the double bogeys I had was promising

I live on the edge, so to speak. I always say that 80 is my "personal par," so if I break 80 I'm under par. I've played 24 rounds so far this year,
and 11 have been in the high 70....the rest (including this week) in the 80's. I'm 75 years old, playing the Senior tees, so I hold no hopes of
shooting par, but I have shot my age a few times over the last 3 years. It usually boils down to how well I chip and putt....

Through the 2 rounds I played this weekend, I had a total of 1 double bogie, 2 birdies, and an eagle. My putting was great, short game was on point and driver behaved.

I shot a 77 Saturday and 78 on Sunday! First time going back to back sub 80 in my 25 years of playing golf!

Sh!t the bed with a 42/49-91 today. 90 min rain delay, then got pulled off 2 green for lightning. Pulled it together on the front but lost my groove on the back.

We’ll get em next time.

Only got in 9 but was on pace with a 38. Felt good today.

Broke 80 for the second time this year (not counting silly courses)! I was having a great time with some THPers and had no idea I was even close to breaking 80. The key was holes like the one below, just staying in the hole after a mistake and trying to avoid double bogeys.
3259A40C-5410-441A-89D5-475D0C9E9A81.jpeg
778F0FB6-7403-466D-AF67-D20AB0A8E4BF.jpeg

The key was holes like the one below, just staying in the hole after a mistake and trying to avoid double bogeys.

View attachment 9018906

Way to grind that one out! That is the truth, right there: sticking with it and not turning a 5 into a 6, or worse, right?

I had one of those this weekend... popped up a drive on a 400y uphill par 4 and had 300y left in. I knocked it up there, knocked it on and made the putt... so, driver, 3w, SW, putt for par. Ha.

Back