Trying to Break 80 Club

Dent

MIA
Reaction score
Handicap
Well, a little bit of a stolen idea, but what about for all the guys trying to break 80? If you are just struggling and haven't shot in the 70's in a while or even if you have never done it before and you are almost there post your progress and let us know how you're doing!

I myself am having probably one of my worst years of golf. I have only broken 80 twice this year. I'm just trying to get my stuff together and I should see scores dropping soon. I just HAVE to stay away from those double bogies.

This is my goal as well. I'm in!

I've hit under 80 twice this year, but I am by no means consistent, which is what I'm really hoping for.

I finally signed back up for GHIN though, so I'll have an easier time tracking it! Let's do this thing!

I have shot 3 81's this year and in each case I can point to at least 4 shots that I lost due to either trying to be to cute around the green or 3 puts that shouldnt have been. I am so close and my golf coach is telling me that there is no reason why I should ever shoot in the 80's. For me it tends to be more mental than anything else. I am playing this afternoon and will keep everyone posted with my progress.

In!

I've shot an 82 twice and an 83 three times this year, just cannot break it! The 82 yesterday was a 44/38 and the front nine had two doubles in it...bonehead moves keep costing me. My putting has been on fire though with 29 putts yesterday, first time I've broken 30.

I WILL get there.......I hope....lol

I'm in as well! I've come close twice this year with an 82 and a 81. The 82 I had par on every hole on the back nine heading into the last two holes only to go double bogey, bogey for a 43-39 round.

I'm in as well. This year's been off to a slow start for me, but I was close many times last year shooting 82s and 83s. It actually should have happened for me last year. I shot 80 in a round last September with 34 putts!

Well right after making this thread I went out and shot 77 (see what did you shoot thread) It easily could have been 73 or 74. I was +3 after 14 and finished off bogey, bogey, bogey, double.

Wow, that would be a dream for me to shoot a 77.

I've NEVER broken 80 in my entire life. I've hit 80 about 8 times this year with tons of short game practice but I just can't get it.

It was my major goal this year, and I'm thinking of just giving up trying (not giving up golf, just the pressure to break 80). Congrats to those of you that can, that takes some serious game!

Wow and I'm working to break 90 don't know what that feels like to be up in the rareified air of the 70's probably will never know.

Was oh so close today. Shot 39 on the front and was in great shape going into 14. I hit an iron shot ob and took an double 7. Then missed a really short putt on 15. Ended 39-41; 80! SOOOOO CLOSE!

Well yesterday i shot an 83 with 5 doubles 2 bogeys and a birdie. It was on a new course that I hadn't been on and I just couldn't get it through my big head that I didn't have to hit driver on every hole. I shot a 44 on the front with 3 doubles and 2 bogeys and a 39 on the back with 2 doubles and a birdie. So if you take the stupidity out of it and those doubles were just bogeys not to mention the par 5 that I was 15 feet out on in 2 and 3 putted I would have shot a 78. So now I know that I should leave the ego in the bag and hit the appropriate club off the tee. This is the course that I am qualifying for the state amateur at in 2 weeks and I can hit 3 iron off of many of the tees and still be only 100 out so that is the plan.

I've never broken 80 either -- shot 81 twice last month -- then the last 3 rounds -89-97-95 --- FUGLY !! My driver has disappeared and I'm either OB or in the rough ... can't hit it straight lately ! Taking a coulple weeks break == maybe im trying too hard.

I'm happy to be in this club, broke 90 for the first time last month which was my original goal to do by the end of summer.

I doubt I will ever break 80, I just don't have the time to put into it, sure do love trying though. I'm content being a bogey golfer as golf is just a fun hobby for me. Maybe someday everything will click and it will happen but I'm not worried about it.

Good luck though guys, pulling for ya!

I'm in as well. Last year I was able to break it twice, 77 & 79. This year I did it early on with a 78, but went on a barage of low eighties before jumping clear back up into 90's for a while, lol. However, I shot an 86 on Friday and two 84's today, haha. We had a blast playing 36 holes today, but a bit much for this old man. I had several chances to break 80 today, just got bit by an ob hear or ball under trees there.

Good luck everyone, we'll get there! Congrats on yours Dent!

Well right after making this thread I went out and shot 77 (see what did you shoot thread) It easily could have been 73 or 74. I was +3 after 14 and finished off bogey, bogey, bogey, double.

Uh... a 77 but being 8 over...

Is your course a Par 69? Just wondering.

It's kind of funny that my driving has suffered for most of the year, yet I was killing it today, all straight.

Just could not lock in my iron length. it was wet and windy, so that probably didn't help haha, but I was on pace for an 84.. Not what I had in mind.

I broke 80 for the first time last year and I thought my game had transformed. I haven't broken 80 since. My goal this season was to at least do it once this year. Unfortunately, I have been in the high 80s/low 90s lately. I've been taking a little break from golf (too many swing thoughts), but will be back at it after the US Open.

The biggest problem with me not breaking 80 is the number of shots I waste. I'm good for 1-2 OB Drives and 1-2 three putts.

My goals to break 80 are to average 30-33 putts (currently just under 36) and hit at least half GIRs (its bad right now, I usually hit less than 5 GIRs a round, but my short game saves me).

That is the killer, if you want to break 80, you can't have more than 2 three putts and I'd say no more than 1 or two doubles, depending on how good your other holes are.

My goal is to break 80 this year as well. Have had a slew of scores in the low 80's, and several in the mid-80's (with the obligatory bad round on a couple occasions earlier in the season). I think I'm just playing too much. I've played more in the last three months than all year last year. I'll go out and have a good round, and it starts a golf marathon where I'm really trying to force it. Played 72 holes between Friday night and Sunday afteroon this past weekend, and by hole 18 of the second round Sunday, my swing just didn't have anything left.

Well, a little bit of a stolen idea, but what about for all the guys trying to break 80? If you are just struggling and haven't shot in the 70's in a while or even if you have never done it before and you are almost there post your progress and let us know how you're doing!

I myself am having probably one of my worst years of golf. I have only broken 80 twice this year. I'm just trying to get my stuff together and I should see scores dropping soon. I just HAVE to stay away from those double bogies.

I have been there before but it has been sometime. I have yet to get it going this year but I have had a few nine hole rounds around 40 but nothing really close playing 18.

I've never broken 80. Lowest is an 81 with a bunch under 85. It will happen someday when I least expect it.

I've never broken 80, either. Actually 40 is my lowest for 9 also. Never could quite keep it in the 30s. I'm not quite sure what it is, but I typically start out well the first few holes of a round and get progressively worse.

Back