Trying to Break 80 Club

This has been my goal for several years. I would periodically shoot an 82 or 83 with a lot of luck, chip ins, long putts, that kind of thing. Last year I had an 81 and 2 82s with several wasted shots, Flubbed chips missed three footers etc. So this year I think I have a realistic chance. I've shot an 81, 82 and 84 and didn't really feel like I played well so I'm hoping this is the year.

9 holes today because we had to walk, my old legs just don't hold up, haha. 42 and felt ok about it. We played a tough track from the back tee's, so how can I not be happy, but the course was so soaked I can't imagine if I had some roll on the longer shots. Putted ok and finally chipped well. It's hard to believe rain's still in the forcast. lol.

This is where I am most every time I take to the course, so close yet seems like so far . I have had one 79 round and my best to date was 4 over 76. I can usually string together a good front or back , but hard to do in the same round. Last week we played 18 I had 44 ,39 then played again and swaped the scores 39 , 44, so I know I can do it because I had back to back 39's. My problem is when I'm done with a round I can tell every shot that cost me the few stokes from being under 80, it say's it on a poster in my living room, "The toughest corse you'll ever play is the 6 inch one between your ears", and to date that is my problem, my brain gets in the way.

me too Hitman, on the last hole i started thinking about my score and how good I could shoot, all of a sudden off the drive I SLICED (never ever slice, it's usually a hook) almost out of bounds. I proceeded to double the hole.

me too Hitman, on the last hole i started thinking about my score and how good I could shoot, all of a sudden off the drive I SLICED (never ever slice, it's usually a hook) almost out of bounds. I proceeded to double the hole.

Were seeing something in common and Andy needs to address this guy's, lol. I played a course I had never seen before. Not tough, 122 slope from the whites. The front is said to be the toughest, I shoot a 39 on the front, then 3 pars in a row, a birdie and then par. That was the first 5 holes on the back, lol. From there I went bogey, double, quad (9), bogey. 42 on the back, haha. Yep, 81 for the round and had it in the bag, I officially suck!

Went out for a round today and shot 84. I had an awesome front 9 with 3 birdies and 2 bogies for a 1 under 34, can you guess what happened on the back?! I shot a dang 50! It started bad right off the start. I had some guys very close to the green on 10 that were waiting to tee off at 11 and it got in my head that I could hit them with my 3 wood if I didn't hit it perfect so ofcourse I topped it! After that we got backed up and I felt rushed the whole side. I either had guys in front of me or guys behind pushing! Never been so pi$$ed on the course in my life. I guess the upside is atleast a really bad feeling round now is the mid 80's instead of the 90's.

So I know it can happen.......because Sunday 6/20/2010 it did. I played with 3 friends at our local course and it was like, well now I know what "in the zone" feels like. I shot 2 over par 74 with 3 birdies. And to make it seem wierd I usually have trouble on the back , well I went even 36 on the back. I got done with the round and was waiting for the bolt of lightning or the CSX train to mow me down on my way home. It was the best feeling I had since my 209 yd. "Hole in One" 2 years ago. This is what keeps me coming back.

Great job Hitman! You didn't just break 80, you shattered it. Way to go man!

Shot a solid 83 yesterday, the closest I have been to the 80 barrier in the past 5 years (shot 80 x2 5 years ago... never broke it).

I worked hard to get it (58% scrambling percentage, 29 putts, NO birdies) but my chipping/putting left me with a lot of tap in pars.
One penalty stroke.
Missed 2 putts that I should have made.
Shanked one full iron (advanced the ball 10 yards) and one chip (up hill, left it short)

80 is going to fall. It CAN happen!

Nice game Gus!! I really need to get out and play more than 9 holes... I shot a 39 the other day, and was full on. Everything felt right, the putts just were not dropping.

How's everyone else doing? Game feeling good? I bet we get a few sub 80s in this thread in the next couple weeks.

Nice game Gus!! I really need to get out and play more than 9 holes... I shot a 39 the other day, and was full on. Everything felt right, the putts just were not dropping.

How's everyone else doing? Game feeling good? I bet we get a few sub 80s in this thread in the next couple weeks.

Game is getting really bad again. I shot a 44 today and I couldnt do anything right, it was awful. I'm hooking everything.

Game is getting really bad again. I shot a 44 today and I couldnt do anything right, it was awful. I'm hooking everything.

I shot an 86
then a 105
then played a scramble where we used 3 of my shots all round
then 94
then 92 (which felt like an 84)
and then this most recent 83...

It's been one heck of a roller coaster the past 2 1/2 weeks.

I am playing a TOUGH course from the long tee's tomorrow- so I don't expect 80 to fall just yet. But I am getting closer.

Moreso on the 4 and 5 iron, but still everything.

At the start of the year I was really struggling with slicing the ball, a lot of out to in swings... I don't know if it helps, but three things I did to get away from them..

1a - when on the range, I had the writing on the ball angled on a path that caused me to swing in to out to match the writing.
1b - I put a tee in the ground in front of the ball and away from where my body was to help with the in to out swing.
2 - I also tried to stop dipping my right shoulder, which caused a lot of the slice I think..

Maybe doing the opposite will help you? Or you could always go bug Andy in the ask a pro section haha! I hope you can sort it out.. I know how frustrating that stuff gets when my game just switches in an instant.

I too am having problems scoring in the 70's this year. I have 4 rounds so far but I also have played probably 65 rounds this year so 4 is bad. Just a hint of how I am playing. Earlier this year I shot 34 on the front nine and then came back with a 44 on the back. Yesterday I shot 38 on the front with two doubles and then proceeded to shoot 45 on the back with 3 more doubles. I pride myself on not having these types of holes but lately I can't seem to hit my drives straight. The worst part is I am missing both left and right and have been working on improving my driving. One of the other problems is my course has decided to let the rough grow and also to let the fescue grow as well. The rough is pretty much a wedge it out and take you medicine type of rough and the fescue is about 3+ feet high. If you hit it in the fescue you will not find it and might just as well hit a provisional when you think it goes in there. I have a lot of work to do on my driving to make sure I hit the short stuff more often.

Went out and shot 84 again today. Shot 45 on the front and 39 on the back. I couldn't get any putts to drop on the front but it finally came around on the way home. I'm hitting my clubs well, especially my driver, just need to become friends with my putter.

I'll have to say, before I got a lesson when I was having troubles, I would hit maybe 4-6 greens per round..

I took a lesson and have a completely different swing, I went out for a quick practise session and just counted GIR's, in 16 holes I hit 9 greens, which is really impressive for me. I am hitting the ball so much better and should be breaking 80's again.

I threw in a 77(+6) yesterday. 5 over on the front 9, 1 over on the back. Threw in 4 birdies. Unfortunately lost 2 balls on the last 3 holes(led to a double bogey and a bogey). Before I lost those 2 balls on the last three I was -2 on the back. Only 1 three putt

I pulled a Ray Romano yesterday. Shot a poor 42 on the front and started out on the back with 2 pars. Lipped out my par putt on the 12th then proceeded to par the next 5 holes. Came to 18 seven over needing a par. Unfortunately 18 is a par 4 playing 442 from the whites. I hit my worst drive of the round into the right rough. Could only punch out with a 4 iron hybrid to around 50 yards. I did hit a nice 1/2 sand wedge about 8 feet under the hole. Then proceeded to misread the putt and made bogey. Thus I shot a Ray Romano 80. But I was extremely happy with the 38 on the back as the back is the harder nine for me.

Started playing May of last year, goal this year was to break 80. Shot 81 and 82 this year, both rounds included 36 putts....just eliminating the three putts alone would have put me on the number, not to mention the chunked pitches and whatnot. Just need to keep grinding on the short game, have a decent day with the putter with maybe 32 putts along with adequate ballstriking.

I'm in. I'm a 12.3 right now and I've never broken 80.

I've had rounds of 80, 81, and 82 this year though, on familiar and unfamiliar courses. One of those 81s came today. Had a triple on the first hole of my home course, and a double on the seventh. Three birds and 27 putts on the day couldn't even get me under 80 with that start. I also missed four or five par putts on the day. I felt like I couldn't buy a par on the back nine. I also only technically hit 4 greens all day, but I had a couple "FIR"s (fringe in regulation) which are very similar, so that number isn't nearly as telling.

I'm honestly beginning to feel like it's a mental thing. Every time I go out and play I've got that number in my head. I'm not quite sure how to shake that, either. It's getting very frustrating too, especially with how many low 80's rounds I've shot this year and last. Plus a couple of my buddies have broken 80 without ever shooting lower than like, an 84 or so before that round.

82. All I can seemingly shoot is an 82.

Don't get me wrong, I feel fortunate to be able to shoot as low as I am in just over a year and a half of golf and I recognize that is a feat in and of itself...but DANG IM SO CLOSE!

This time around it was one 3 putt and two OB drives on a par 5 that led to an 8 (and it was a NICE save that was a miracle to get the 8!). Its always a little thing here and there that does it.

43-39 82 for me. Started with two doubles and that was pretty much the day. Had a string of 10 holes in there that I played one over par but the rest of the round was pretty mundane.

Back