Trying to Break 80 Club

Had a great round going today. 38 on the front and started the back with a par on the hardest hole on the course. Ended up with a 43 on the back. Mental mistakes and trying to crush a wedge instead of clubbing up and choking down just a bit Really cost me On a par 5.

I had 7-1 putts and 3 birds today. Tee game was solid and when in trouble I really tried to think my way out and play the shot that got me back into the fairway. I committed to each shot I made and let it fly. I have a playing lesson tomorrow to work on a few things. I feel I am finally trending back to having a chance for the 70’s again!

this week I will be back on the range at 6am for a few days prepping for the weekend rounds!

Getting closer... Going to try 3/4 swing with more club when I don't feel confident. I keep trying to hit the ball when I'm worried on distance, which results in terrible things rather than just taking a smooth swing and playing to the outcome. Trying to keep my target focus has been a challenge on shot approaches.

All good things (sub 80) must come to an end. Played round #2 this afternoon with my brother. 41/41 - 82 with a double on each side. For the first time ever, I'm thinking about sub 80 for every round. Iron play is coming around and just need to work on chipping. My up/down percentage is too low. Get that squared around and consistent mid 80s is doable.

6 rounds in 5 days. #I_Like_It!

43/41-84 today on a tougher course here in STL. Finished with a birdie on 18… always nice.

Four rounds in four days: 84, 88, 84, 84. Played it down all four days.

Need to dial in wedge distances and lose the double bogeys and I’m right there for breaking 80.
This. Eliminating doubles and getting wedges closer is my struggle, now, too. Have your wedges been missing wide or is it just getting a feel for distances?

This. Eliminating doubles and getting wedges closer is my struggle, now, too. Have your wedges been missing wide or is it just getting a feel for distances?

It's the latter. Since I'm making much better contact (a positive), my yardages have all shifted a bit.

Yesterday there were 3 occasions inside 100y where I hit a solid chip, pitch or flop, right on line, but missed my target distance (generally long) by 3 to 5 yards and ended up on the wrong tier.

There is a wedge range at my home course with 40y, 50y, 60y and 70y targets. I need to hang out over there with a bucket this afternoon and get it dialed.

Yesterday:
Thought I'd catch up on slaying the demons... I did go out Monday July 5th with my father and a friend of the family. We went off the back 30 minutes early instead of waiting for our 8:30 tee time (Hey, it was open lol). 45/39 84 (ESC 83) Putting was awful again, but no 4 putts =). One snap hook OB penalty on the same hole as yesterday (minus nicking a tree with a bad kick) kicked off a two/three hole blow up, so the demons got me and I scored a 45 on that side.

It was some bad golf with a few good shots thrown in, but awful putting. Despite the higher scoring, I was making good contact. Put some good shots in to 170 and 165 yd par 3's one of which I birdied. Contact and the sound/feel was better and more consistant.

Today:
July 6th was league night. We played the back nine at the same course and I shot a 39 tonight. 44% GIR, 43% Fairways, 16 putts. I did not strike the ball constantly tonight (Even dribbled one off the tee box 3"+ fat) but I recovered very well. No birdies (nothing close) and I got into trees twice where I had to (take my medicine) punch out and ignore the green. Those punch shots and that dribble topped shot off the tee were my boggies. That's the way I need to play golf. I tried to play as if I had a scope on a shot gun. Noticed but didn't aim for pins, and took dead aim for getting my 20 yd spread centered on target. 16 putts and the chipping could have been better but It was a very promising change in attitude. I'll always have bad shots but I usually have better ones also.

Off fairways were really "off" and GIR was down because of it, but while nothing good happened; I did not suffer beyond what was due. That's not my normal BBQ sauce so I'm looking forward to the next round.

9 hole league tonight, then full 18 hole round out at Gateway National tomorrow.

It's a course I know well and it'll be firm and fast since it's been dry all week - that's good news for a low ball flight short hitter like me.

I'm committing to NOT trying to break 80 tomorrow. I'm just going to commit to hitting the shot I'm on, accepting it, finding it, and hitting the next one, and I'll add them up when I'm done.

I generally don’t look at my total score, rather focus on hole by hole.
Was playing with my cousin yesterday and went to 18, he says “you got me by 2 strokes” you got 10 pars and a birdie, I got 7 pars and 2 birdies”
Ok, well feels like a good round.
I tee it up and WHAM, hit a monster slice right in the marsh! Peg up another one right down the middle! End up with triple after missing the green right.
total it up 81! Damn! If I just took bogey, would have had 79!

I generally don’t look at my total score, rather focus on hole by hole.
Was playing with my cousin yesterday and went to 18, he says “you got me by 2 strokes” you got 10 pars and a birdie, I got 7 pars and 2 birdies”
Ok, well feels like a good round.
I tee it up and WHAM, hit a monster slice right in the marsh! Peg up another one right down the middle! End up with triple after missing the green right.
total it up 81! Damn! If I just took bogey, would have had 79!

The ONE TIME I broke 80 I was dumb enough to add it up on the 18th tee.

I was sitting on 73. It’s a par 5. Bogey gets it done.

Striped the drive, laid up short of the water, had 100y in, and started thinking about birdie and a 77…

…and sh@nked the wedge, hard right, over the water and into Tree Jail.

I had to punch out for 4, then a tricky up/down for 6 and a 79.

That’s the last time I’ll ever add them up on 18 tee.

Had a setback round… 46/46-92. 37 putts with four 3-jacks.

We’ll get ‘em next time.

Ugh, I had to par the last 2 holes for a 79. Scrambled on the par 3 17th, but hit the pond on 18 off the tee; pond is 280 out on the left...no way I was reaching that...splash.
81 is a great round but...so close!

Played a course I haven't been to in a lot of years today

40-42 for a round of 82 (par 73) which included three 3 putts, a double bogey and a triple bogey.....

The 3 putts were all due to the greens being a lot slower than I am used to and I couldn't bring myself to hit the ball hard enough

Bright side of the round was a nice long putt that I sank for a birdie on a par 3 - Not sure how much, but it will nett me a few quid depending on whether or not anyone else had one, but when I left there weren't any others and there were only a couple groups after the one I was in so fingers crossed

Played round #1 from 7,000 and didn't expect to break 80. Played okay but had a triple on 18 and finished with 88.

Moved to 6,550 yards for round #2 and shot 79 (38-41). Need to work on my bunker shots...turned an doable par into a double.

Years ago I was a club champ and did this as norm and broke 70 about 20 times with a low of 67. Now struggling as well with normal scores in low 80s as lost a lot of distance with time and injuries. What I try to do is divide the 18 in 6 three hole segments and try to stay 2 over or less on each and sometimes that leads to getting in high 70s. Short game is the key / when on I have a chance. Pretty consistently ok with driver and irons - it is stopping doubles big key.

Was not planning to play today but my schedule changed. Played 18 hole but with two balls… 87 and 82.

I hit some decent drives, but fairway % was down one OB penalty and one punch shot outta the trees, but my issue was putting.

My GIR wasn’t bad. I only had one hole over boggie (the OB penalty). No birdies (even after getting on a par 5 in two). A mental collapse.

Ol’ three wiggle had his day.

Another round today but fatigue set in a bit and I finished with a 3 putt bogey on the last for a round of 83 at my home course

The big problem today was I missed in the wrong spot too many times to leave myself with an almost impossible chance of making par, so I had too many bogeys

Shot an 8-over 79 today with 6 penalty strokes. That's got to be some kind of record.

Despite the penalties I actually thought I hit the ball very well today - a lot of the penalties came on shots I felt were good that the wind wrecked havoc on. Can't be too mad at the wind though as it let me hit the longest drive of my life which lead to a two-putt birdie.

Screenshot_20210711-143108_myRoundPro.jpg

Last edited:
Par 71 I went 39/41 today. Left some out there but was happy as its usually a course that can beat me up.

After getting kicked in the shins by my last few rounds, I put up two +12 84’s at my home course today. Feeling better about getting back under 80 again soon!

It came together on Sunday with a 76! I can't be mad that I lost the match to my friend who posted a 79. He is a 15 handicap and received 7 strokes. He kicked my butt, but it was a blast since we were both playing well.

No birdies, no worse than a bogie, and 100% from bunkers (1 for 1 :p)

It came together on Sunday with a 76! I can't be mad that I lost the match to my friend who posted a 79. He is a 15 handicap and received 7 strokes. He kicked my butt, but it was a blast since we were both playing well.

No birdies, no worse than a bogie, and 100% from bunkers (1 for 1 :p)
That's a nice way to break 80, and shooting 79 for a 15 handicap is not bad either....I would be asking for a stewards enquiry :LOL:

I’m not sure if league night was a step forwards or backwards yesterday. I played as if I had a few beers (I did). 41. No pars: just 7 bogies and 2 birdies.

Need to ditch the cooler, I can wait until we’re done playing.

Decided to make the most of the weather last night and the fact that Jen was out for a meal with a friend of hers and headed up to my club to play 9 holes

Caught up with a few people as there was a team match on and it was a bit slower than normal, but I joined up with a couple who often play in the mixed pairs competitions and played with them from the 4th hole onwards

I was playing from the middle set of tees (we have 3 sets) as I couldn't be bothered to walk to the back ones, and started with 4 pars, missed the green on the 5th hole and didn't get up and down from an awkward hanging lie on the edge of the bunker (would rather have been in it), then had another couple of pars on the 6th and 7th hole, bogey on the 8th after misjudging the breeze and severely short-siding myself in some rough, then because the 18th was clear, we dropped a ball around 220yds from the green (tees are another 100yds further back from the 8th green) and I hit a mid iron to roughly where I would expect my tee shot to finish and stiffed a wedge to literally a foot and a tap in birdie to finish

Overall, I shot a 36 (+1) for the 9 holes we played - 1 birdie, 6 pars, 2 bogeys

Back