Trying to break 85 club

dthogey

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I've been doing a pretty good job of breaking 90. I feel like I need to change my goal. Breaking 80 seems a little ambitious and unrealistic at this point in my game. I'd like to start this thread of trying to break 85. That's my new goal to be under 85. I shot an 85 today and felt like I left four or five shots out there on the course with duffed shots, penalties, and three putts

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Good job. You will be breaking 80 before you know it.

This is my next target sub 85 rounds. 80 is a over ambitious but 85 is realistic.

Under 85 is a great goal! Go for it! I finally got back to sub-85 (shot 80) Friday after not breaking 90 in a few months. Felt good.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Most of us amateurs don't hit very many greens. Having a good short game can save a lot of strokes. The nice thing about developing a good short game is you don't need youth or athleticism.

Good luck!

This is my new thread too. I'm at the point where I'm upset if I don't crack 90, but I've only broke 85 once. Yesterday I shot a 40 on 9 holes, 5 pars and 4 bogies, so I think I've got the game for it.

This is my goal for the year. Haven't broken 90 yet in my two rounds this season, but I did a few times last year with 88s and 89s. Considering how poor my putting was last year (37 putts per round), that will be my primary focus for 2018.

This is where I'm at also. I'd be super happy with getting down to sub 85 consistently this year. A few 86-88 rounds last year with a few strokes id love to take back, so I could do it it's just focusing that little more.

Shot 90 yesterday on a course I only played once 4 years ago, lost a couple balls but the next shots saved my pars, a few crap putts, etc. Looking forward to more progress this year

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Well I shot another 85 today!

41/44 with no birdies
I felt like I played better than I scored hitting nine Fairways and 8 greens.

I had 37 putts with three, three putts.

I had some really great shots but those handful of bad shots really cost me with a triple bogey and several double bogeys.

Good thread man.

43-43 today. I was +2 thru 6 holes on the back 9 until I collapsed.

15 putts on the front, 19 on the back with two 3 putts.

Hit 7 fairways today but only 4 greens, super poor with approach shots today but was around the green.

Played the same ball the whole round and my punch outs shots were 100% successful today whether it was to get a GIR or get back into the fairway.

I really felt like I was playing great today and on my way to breaking 85 with a 41 on the front. The one double that I had on the front resulted from great shot with my five iron, I really hit it solid! It was just a little right and a little long rolling down a hill over the cart path and Into the Woods. From there I blasted my lob wedge a little too hard up and over the green. So it took me three to get on and I two putted.

My tee shot on number 10 was a nice draw 5 wood, I just started it too far left so it went into the woods. Three off the tee to start the back nine resulting in a triple. I recovered from that and went one over in the next five holes. Then I lost it again with two doubles! I was happy to finish up with a par.

One day soon I will break 85!

Don't y'all think it depends on the courses one plays regarding breaking some plateau? I used to play more "driver - wedge" courses and sure my index was far lower. Now I play much harder courses and the index shows it.

Don't y'all think it depends on the courses one plays regarding breaking some plateau? I used to play more "driver - wedge" courses and sure my index was far lower. Now I play much harder courses and the index shows it.
sure

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I think this will be my goal for the next month or so until I get a couple little things worked out with my swing - played a couple of competitive rounds, the first of which I don't think I quite broke 90, and a number of friendly rounds where I think the worst score has been an 87

On the greens is where I have lost a number of shots, but our greenkeeping staff have been behind schedule with their work due to the weather, so I am not going to be disheartened as the greens are nowhere near up to the standards they were at the end of last year

Once they get the greens sorted I think 85 is a very early target for my year, with 80 being the main one

Thank you for starting this thread! So far this year I've shot an 89, 87, and an 86...so 85 is not out of the question I think.

Good thread and exactly where I fit in. Looking forward to following along and being involved with this thread.

Most of us amateurs don't hit very many greens. Having a good short game can save a lot of strokes. The nice thing about developing a good short game is you don't need youth or athleticism.

Good luck!

Yep, couldn't agree more. If you have the distance to reach greens in regulation, the difference between breaking 90 and breaking 85 (or even 80) is all short game!

Great idea for a thread. This is exactly my goal each round. Shoot 85 or better. If I do that, my handicap will go down. Last year it started off at a 15, all the way down to an 11. Playing to 85 was my threshold - and it allowed me to concentrate, yet free up my approach as well. Played pretty terrible golf this past weekend, but a birdie on #18 let me beat 85 right at the death :) .

Aaaaarrrrgggghhhhhh!!!!

I really stunk it up tonight!

I shot a 43/46=89
On one hole I was putting for birdie about 20 feet away, I got really aggressive and knocked it about 5 ft past and missed the putt.

I missed another birdie putt from about 4 feet.

I missed two putts Less Than 3 ft.

37 putts

I did hit six Fairways and 6 greens.

I only made two pars on the back nine.

I really feel like I should have shot about an 83, I had some great holes but with two triples and a double and missing those short putts that really cost me.

Great thread! Going from Breaking 90 to Breaking 80 is a BIG stretch.

Crap. I shot a 44 tonight. I couldn't do anything right, I only parred two holes, and they were ugly scrambling pars at that. Once again no birdies!

I shot a 44 yesterday with a birdie on the first hole, then promptly had a double on #2 ARRGGGGHHHH.

Haven't picked up a club in over a week, and rain all weekend.. need to get some range time in asap

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Well I had a real setback today. I shot a 95. Nothing went right from tee to green. Well I did Chip pretty good. The winds were blowing 20 to 30 miles an hour and that made it tough.

shot an 85 today at Sweetbriar near Cleveland. I had a triple and a double on the back. I'm happy with that. Still struggling off the tee.

Back