Trying to break 85 club

My problem right now is being able to execute my swing consistently on the course. What I mean is I can go to the range and hit shots from my wedge to my driver very consistently. For some reason when I try to take my swing to the golf course there is some sort of Disconnect in my brain! I will take a good smooth rhythmic practice swing but when I go to hit the ball I get the mechanics wrong. This usually happens four or five times a round. It's usually only a couple of blow up holes that keep me above 85. In my mind I should be shooting in the upper 70s to lower 80s. It seems that when I think about getting my weight thru I slide forward, if I concentrate on not sliding I fail to transition my weight hitting the shot with my weight on my right foot.

It's really pretty simple, I just need to make a good turn, don't slide, make a good rotation, stay in posture while transitioning my weight to my left foot, make a good follow through with a good high finish, and do this all with good timing and good rhythm! LOL

Oh yeah, I think about swing mechanics too much during play!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Yeah, thinking too much is not good. I'm playing well right now & one thing I noticed is that I feel like I'm swinging a little slower & with less effort, but the ball is going longer - I assume because I'm hitting it more in the sweet spot more often, & my angle of approach is better & I finally feel like I'm compressing the ball more. It's weird how less "effort" is giving me better shots.

Until the last tee shot of the day yesterday - 150 yard par 3. I completely collapsed & hit 3" behind the ball & dug a huge trench. I was fortunate to advance the ball 40 yards and relatively straight. Bottom line - it's hard to stay focused AND relaxed at the same time.

BTW Just saw this thread & I'm subscribed now. Hope to be posting in here more often.

Today was a real nightmare! Hit the ball on the Range very well. Took it to the course and started out playing well real well on the first three holes, hit all three greens and regulation but three-putted all of them. For some reason my swing mechanics were a little off and I started to over-analyze. Things got really bad and then I contracted a case of I don't give a@#$! That didn't help. I only made one par on the front and shot 50, I followed that up with two pars on the back and a 47. I felt like I had about a year setback today . feeling very frustrated

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Trying to break 85 club

43/41 =84 with 31 putts & PB 11 pars. Two bad holes, a trip and a quad otherwise I’m under 80. Short game was on fire. Hole looks like a Sewer Cover right now.

I finally did it yesterday. 44/38=82 @ 6000yds.

43/41 =84 with 31 putts & PB 11 pars. Two bad holes, a trip and a quad otherwise I’m under 80. Short game was on fire. Hole looks like a Sewer Cover right now.

11 pars, that's great!

Isn't it awesome when you can stand over almost every putt thinking, "I can make this, no problem."

Haven't been posting lately, as I felt my hot streak starting to slip away. Got it back Saturday evening - shot 85 with one stretch of 6 straight GIR. Would have been seven, but I flushed a 7 iron over the green on a par three. The guys I was playing with quit after the tee shot on 16 when they couldn't see the ball anymore. But I had a good round going and was determined to finish. Hey, if you hit it straight you don't need to watch it, just drive the cart to where it should be. Finished the 18th in full darkness and still hit the green in two. Three putt bogey, but I'll take it in the dark.

Two ugly rounds in early September -- 90 (43/47) and 91 (48/43) -- with 1 GIR each and lots of doubles. I was +8 thru 5 and +12 at the turn in the round I shot 91; almost ready to just give up. I felt completely lost: swing was an inconsistent mess, spraying drivers all over the place, irons going nowhere. Only my short game and putting saved me from bigger scores.

Midway through the front nine in the next round (84 [42/42]), I realized I was standing up in my backswing instead of turning. Ball striking got a little better after that. I had a run of 4 consecutive GIRs to start the back nine, but one bad drive on #14 followed by a few poor recovery shots led to a triple-bogey and eventually a 42.

Yesterday's 81 (40/41) was one of the best ball-striking rounds of my life. I focused on making a better turn again, and also slowing my tempo on the backswing, to maintain better control. Distance, direction, and consistency were all improved. Unfortunately, my putting let me down. I missed 4 putts of 6' or less, and burned a few more edges as well. As good as I hit the ball, especially with 4W and 20* hybrid, this should've been a 75-77 round.

I've only broken 80 twice in my life (two 79s). If I can replicate yesterday's ball-striking, I'm sure I can do it again.

Two ugly rounds in early September -- 90 (43/47) and 91 (48/43) -- with 1 GIR each and lots of doubles. I was +8 thru 5 and +12 at the turn in the round I shot 91; almost ready to just give up. I felt completely lost: swing was an inconsistent mess, spraying drivers all over the place, irons going nowhere. Only my short game and putting saved me from bigger scores.

Midway through the front nine in the next round (84 [42/42]), I realized I was standing up in my backswing instead of turning. Ball striking got a little better after that. I had a run of 4 consecutive GIRs to start the back nine, but one bad drive on #14 followed by a few poor recovery shots led to a triple-bogey and eventually a 42.

Yesterday's 81 (40/41) was one of the best ball-striking rounds of my life. I focused on making a better turn again, and also slowing my tempo on the backswing, to maintain better control. Distance, direction, and consistency were all improved. Unfortunately, my putting let me down. I missed 4 putts of 6' or less, and burned a few more edges as well. As good as I hit the ball, especially with 4W and 20* hybrid, this should've been a 75-77 round.

I've only broken 80 twice in my life (two 79s). If I can replicate yesterday's ball-striking, I'm sure I can do it again.
Way to go! Great shooting. I've pretty much given up golf for bow hunting. I might get out again if the weather is nice enough next week.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Hey all, joining this version of the "Trying To Break... " threads as while I do have some sub 85s they are definitely few and far between. Today was one of them though, went 84 (41/43) on 71.4, 6500. The crazy part is that the round was the first for a new putter, which I deftly used to 3-putt 6 times :dohanim:, and also one in which all driver holes were instead played with a 3H off the tee. Insane the difference in play when you aren't terrified of losing balls off the tee to gigantic driver slices, who knew (well for one round anyway!). It was to the point that I was actually aiming down the right "expecting" the hybrid to turn over which is utterly absurd for a lifetime slicer.

Anyway I was obviously very happy with today's result and hope some of the consistency in the iron game sticks around while I figure out this new putter and eventually figure out how to have some semblance of consistency with the driver.

Shot my personal best 84 today! 44/40 with an eagle on the 10th hole.

Trying to break 85 club

Maybe the best round of the year. 40/47 but I’ll take no 3 Jacks 2x any day and in temps under 50°:

9697ad95a29fc82ead2b5926299ab2b8.png

After the last several rounds I decided to raise my expectations a bit. Anytime I go to a golf course, especially somewhere I've never played, I set the goal of "I'd be happy breaking 90." Since March 4th I've gone 88-84-87-90-86-82-85-85-86.

My handicap has literally gone from 11.3-11.5-11.4 in that span. I think the biggest factor is me playing the white tees a lot more lately, so even though I'm happy with my scores, it really isn't doing anything to the handicap. The longest course I've played in this streak was 6400 yards.

So if I play the Whites in a given round let's shoot for breaking 85. But also when I jump back to the blues let's also shoot for breaking 85.

I think the OP said it best when saying the goal of going from breaking 90 to breaking 80 is a substantial stretch. Now it's time to focus a little more. Sometimes I'll get lazy by throwing away 3-4 strokes a round by rushing a putt or struggling in the bunker. My chipping has been SO much better with center faced contact, but I'm not really getting near the hole. Since I'm confident in making good contact, the focus now shifts to picking a target and not just land on the green.

After the last several rounds I decided to raise my expectations a bit. Anytime I go to a golf course, especially somewhere I've never played, I set the goal of "I'd be happy breaking 90." Since March 4th I've gone 88-84-87-90-86-82-85-85-86.

My handicap has literally gone from 11.3-11.5-11.4 in that span. I think the biggest factor is me playing the white tees a lot more lately, so even though I'm happy with my scores, it really isn't doing anything to the handicap. The longest course I've played in this streak was 6400 yards.

So if I play the Whites in a given round let's shoot for breaking 85. But also when I jump back to the blues let's also shoot for breaking 85.

I think the OP said it best when saying the goal of going from breaking 90 to breaking 80 is a substantial stretch. Now it's time to focus a little more. Sometimes I'll get lazy by throwing away 3-4 strokes a round by rushing a putt or struggling in the bunker. My chipping has been SO much better with center faced contact, but I'm not really getting near the hole. Since I'm confident in making good contact, the focus now shifts to picking a target and not just land on the green.
This explains my entire round today, and as my outlook as well. A little more focus here and there could really help to shave 2-3 strokes.

Played a very nice round today as a single, pared up with an older but very good golfer for a twosome. I had a career round going through 14 holes as I was just 7 over at that point including one birdie and another that just missed by half an inch. Then the next hole, no. 1 handicap, I sh*t the bed and posted a triple bogey. Then I played the last three holes bogey, bogey, bogey. Ended up with an 85 right on the nose.

Driving was great, had some of my longest and straightest drives. I hadn't hit a poor drive really all day until no. 15. Putting was excellent. Looking forward to a few more rounds like this and hopefully breaking 85 more often.

Broke through today with an 82 (41, 41). A new PB at my home course. Could have been better, as I missed a gettable birdie putt and put a ball in the water. Driving was ok, not as good as yesterday, but putting was excellent. Hit some long ones, and put everything else close. Several double bogies too on a free short putts, so I could have gone even lower. Feels good.

Trying to break 85 club

Shot a 42/41-83 today after hitting only 3 FIRs, 5 GIRs and no birdies... Chipping and putting felt really good with 28 putts including 9 1-putt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Broke through today with an 82 (41, 41). A new PB at my home course. Could have been better, as I missed a gettable birdie putt and put a ball in the water. Driving was ok, not as good as yesterday, but putting was excellent. Hit some long ones, and put everything else close. Several double bogies too on a free short putts, so I could have gone even lower. Feels good.

Get it!

Shot 46/41=87 today 6500yds. Made a change with my grip on the 6th hole and as I got used to it i was doing better as the day went on and it showed on the back 9. Getting close to putting a good front and good back together.

41-44 and very happy with that.

Started the round well and my ball striking was on, as was my tee game. Should've flirted with breaking 40 but 5th hole Par 5 I hit a good drive but didn't get past the dog leg right so I had to hit a cut 4hybrid which was executed to perfection. Under tree and it left me 94 yards to the pin.

94 yards. I told myself that's a full 58* that'll leave me below the hole or a knock down 54*. I grabbed the 54* but then put it back because the green looked so close.

I opted for the full 58* and tried to get a little bit extra. Thinned over the green and in death. Decent at best chip. Par putt from the fringe. Blow it past the cup trying to make it and miss the bogey.

Double Bogey 7 from 94 yards out. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOF

I then made 4 Pars in a row to finish my 9 at 41. One dumb swing.

Back 9 was up and down. Two 3 putts, 2 birdies, a Triple, and 2 doubles.

Overall very happy to play pain free and strike it well. Literally 4 piss poor holes that so easily could've been avoided and we are talking about a low 80s round here. But hey, sh!t happens.

Well I think I'm going to move down to this thread! I've been really struggling to break 90 this summer. My last three rounds I have broken 85! I just played this morning and shot a 42 / 41. Two double bogeys and no birdies. I hit nine Fairways and 7 greens.

I'm feeling much better about my game, somehow I am able to slow things down and swing with much more rhythm.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Well things are really going my way I've had my best round in years! Today I shot 42 / 36. I played really well! I hit seven Fairways and 11 greens.

I play a few different courses over here in Bangkok so I'm joining both the Break 90 club and Break 85 club threads. We play off whites at all courses but my hopes and expectations vary depending on the course we are playing.

For this thread I am considering the easier courses we play: Bangsai, Subhapruek and Vintage. In 25 rounds at these 3 courses in 8 months I've been playing in Thailand I've broken 90 3 times and my best scores at these courses are 88, 86 and a 91 which was 50-41 after teeing off on the 10th.

My battle is to shot more sub 90 rounds and shoot a sub 85 round.

Things are really going good for me now! My last six rounds are as follows 84, 39, 83, 83, 78, 39. The 39 I shot last night included two birdies and I missed two more birdies by inches! I haven't lost a golf ball in several rounds! It's amazing how things can change. I struggled so much this year.

Back