Trying To Break 90 Club

Well, drifted backwards yesterday. Shot 49-49=98. Putter just didn't show up yesterday. Eight, three putts just won't get it done. Oh well, some days you win, some days you loose. Still under 100, so that's a win. 🤷‍♂️

Playing again on Sunday, so we'll check back in and see how we did.

Well, drifted backwards yesterday. Shot 49-49=98. Putter just didn't show up yesterday. Eight, three putts just won't get it done. Oh well, some days you win, some days you loose. Still under 100, so that's a win. 🤷‍♂️

Playing again on Sunday, so we'll check back in and see how we did.
I’ve been struggling at my new course too. Particularly on the greens. There’s just enough subtlety to miss but enough slope that makes the miss a little more painful. I’ve been the bug for 63 holes this past week. Just waiting for my turn to be the windshield.

Playing from the senior tees I've had a number of sub 90 round this year. Today, from the men's white tees at 6300 yards a personal best 86. First time this year I broke 90 from the whites. And the first time since an 87 two years ago. Driving and putting were as good as its ever been today. No 3 putts and both birdies were from over 20 feet.

An adjustment to the fairway woods really helped too. I warmed up with head covers in my arm pits. Didn't let them drop throughout the swing. Kept my arms close the body on the course and I was much more consistent from the fairways. I feel like I'm on to something with that. But it doesn't work with the driver. And its not as good later in the round when I wear down. That is something I need to work on. Figure out how to keep the swing when my body gets tired.

Playing from the senior tees I've had a number of sub 90 round this year. Today, from the men's white tees at 6300 yards a personal best 86. First time this year I broke 90 from the whites. And the first time since an 87 two years ago. Driving and putting were as good as its ever been today. No 3 putts and both birdies were from over 20 feet.

An adjustment to the fairway woods really helped too. I warmed up with head covers in my arm pits. Didn't let them drop throughout the swing. Kept my arms close the body on the course and I was much more consistent from the fairways. I feel like I'm on to something with that. But it doesn't work with the driver. And its not as good later in the round when I wear down. That is something I need to work on. Figure out how to keep the swing when my body gets tired.
Any round in the 80s is a great round. Congrats

Last edited:
Any round in the 80s is a great round. Congrats
It was one of those rounds where several things came together. Hit more greens. Wedges were working when I missed. Avoided 3 putts. I will say the greens were slower than usual. I do better with slower greens. Fast greens tend to intimidate me.

Shot an 86 today in what was probably my last round of the season for a while being in Canada, weather here is turning quick.

Shot of the day was a 9i playing 145 into an elevated green, where the pin was sitting on top of a sloped green
IMG_6408.jpeg

Being retired I don't usually play on weekends. More expensive and crowded. And Sunday is my football day. Been a tradition in my family when I watched with my father back in the 60's.

Beautiful weather for the foreseeable future. Low to mid 80's in the afternoons. I'll be taking advantage and try to play once a week on the course and once or twice at the range using the sims.

I'll definitely be working on the fairway woods using the head covers in the arm pits. That made all the difference with the 7, 9 and 11 woods. Didn't work as well with the 3 and 5 woods. Or the driver. Although the driver was not near as much a problem as the other clubs.

I may not use the 3 and 5 woods until I can get more consistency with them. If I can hit 220 yards with the driver and 160 yards with the 7 wood I can reach all but 3 greens from the white tees. I can reach them all from the senior tees. The 195 yard par 3 I can use a tee a little higher than normal for the 5 wood to reach it. For some reason I hit that shot just fine.

Been a little quiet in here lately...

Anyway, played three rounds since my last post:

That last 95 was actually a pretty solid round until I got to 15-17. I had a few pars and was playing bogey golf otherwise. Then I dropped three triples in row subsequently followed up by a par at 18. Easily could've been in the 80's. I just need to figure out how to get over that hump. Not sure if it's a physical thing (just getting a little tired near the end of a round) or if it's a mental thing. At any rate, I'm working on setting up a lesson with our club pro here in the next week or so to see what he can bring.

I KNOW it's possible, I've been close enough on too many occasions. I just have to keep working!

edit to add: Haven't lost a ball in three rounds now! Woot-woot!

Last edited:
I played 27 holes this weekend. Saturday I shot a +5, 41. Aside from one hole where I had 2 tops and a duffed chip I didn’t really hurt myself. Sometimes a little adventurous but I managed to keep the next shot in front of me.

Sunday was a non-scoring round. It got to be “slow” at times so I hit a bunch of balls throughout the round. I probably took the equivalent of 3 rounds worth of shots. When there’s no pressure to shoot a score I’m a pretty good golfer. That might be a sign I need to get my mental game right.

Not sure I posted in here at all this year, but my last full round of the year I shot 45/44 for an 89. Would have been the first time in 20 years I didn't break 90 at all so was glad to get it done. Hopefully next year doesn't take quite as long to do it.

Played at Penn National Iron Forge from 6600. I ended with an even 90. 45/45. At least I’m consistent. Wedges were on, driver was pretty solid for most of the holes, I just could not get the flat stick working. 39 total putts. I’m not the best but I’m not usually this bad. So close. Another chance tomorrow.

Didn’t realize it on the course but after editing my round on shotscope I broke 90 today for the first time this year. Penn National with @PPFour12 @hackitup and @Vader shot 46/42 for an 88.

Didn’t realize it on the course but after editing my round on shotscope I broke 90 today for the first time this year. Penn National with @PPFour12 @hackitup and @Vader shot 46/42 for an 88.

Ball striking clinic, honestly. You were hitting it so well.

You very, very easily could’ve shot an 83/84 today. And we know why I say that, hahaha.

Ball striking clinic, honestly. You were hitting it so well.

You very, very easily could’ve shot an 83/84 today. And we know why I say that, hahaha.
Front 9 putting was not a thing of beauty today. Hahahahha.

Front 9 putting was not a thing of beauty today. Hahahahha.

cecily strong snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Played another 18 today and shot another 90. This time I only had 32 putts. This might sound like a cop out but I’m pretty confident it’s an equipment fit issue. I’ll have to get my iron and wedge lies bent flat and try again. I feel like a low 80’s round is coming once I sort it out.

Last edited:
Played Sunday and scored a 45-49=94.

A very nice round with 6 pars and 38 putts. I totally lost it on 17 though by going 5 over on the par 4 and then add in 3 OOB throughout the round and breaking 90 pretty much vanished.

Anyway, 80's are so close I can feel it! Just need to clean up a few things here and there and it's going to happen!

Last edited:
Another round, another 94. This time it was 49-45=94. Driver was fairly well behaved with 9/13 fairways and the putting was a little off with 40 on the day.

I've got a lesson lined up for this Friday. Fingers are crossed that we can get some level of breakthrough and start getting rid of those triple/quad bogeys that just kill my score.

Well, this weekend was a tale of two sides of the coin.

Saturday -116
Sunday - 86

On Saturday, I finally got to play a course I've had my eye on for a bit now. I've been hesitant as it prioritizes accuracy above all else (which I can absolutely lack at times) with a few forced carries and some really sharp dog-leg fairways. What a beating it turned out to be! My game completely abandoned me at just about every level. Tee shots out of bounds, topped balls, duffed short game shots and questionable putting. I ended up posting a 116! OUCH! That one especially hurt as I played with an old acquaintance and his two friends. Really made it look like I was a hack and had no idea what I was doing out there. Blah!

After that dumpster fire of a round on Saturday, and my confidence a bit rattled, I needed some redemption. Found a tee time at my home track Sunday morning and headed out. What a turn-around! Everything was just clicking. 9/13 fairways for just about 70% accuracy with the others just into the first rough cut. I'm Usually around 45-50% for fairway accuracy. Yardage was up a good 5-10yds on top of that. GIR's was at 40%, noo OB's and the short game was firing on all cylinders. Putting was rock steady with only two 3-putts for a total of 37 putts. No blow up holes and only two doubles on the card! Everything else was a par or bogey. Carded a personal best of 86! What a bizzare two rounds.

You just never know how any given day is going go. Hang in there, keep grinding and don't let the negativity take root - there's always another chance at redemption!

12-3 Summary.png

Back