Trying To Break 90 Club

I'm always alternating between high 80s and low 90s, kind of gets annoying. I know if I could improve my driver and long irons, I'll consistently in the 80s. Practice, practice, practice....:thinking:
true! I average 2-3 drops off the tee and a few messed up pitches around the green. along with 3 putting, that makes for a 90's round!

true! I average 2-3 drops off the tee and a few messed up pitches around the green. along with 3 putting, that makes for a 90's round!

As much as I hate to admit it, I think the TM Penta's I got in the mail made a big difference. I will say today was so much better because only 1 OB Tee shot, no three putts, and I only used my driver 3 times(1 was OB!).

Played at Palo alto municipal today. 45 on the front nine. Two doubles two pars (on both par 3s) and 5 bogeys... 16 putts no 3 putts. Irons and drives were basically alternating reAlly good or pretty terrible. Forgiving course with a second shot from almost anywhere...
Twice shot 89 years ago but recovering from surgery to place an artificial disk at c6-c7 2 months ago so I still consider myself part of this club. Want to break 85 really but have to be realistic... May be a while before I can actually get out to plAy 18 but until I can I just try to keep the short game in tune (unfortunately it disappears on me quickly without regular drills)

Twice shot 89 years ago but recovering from surgery to place an artificial disk at c6-c7 2 months ago so I still consider myself part of this club.
Hang in there. I ruptured C something-S something a few years ago. 2 epidurals later, my doc says swing away!

For me it was just a matter of smarter play and playing from the green-back. Struggling with GIR mainly due to errant tee shots, when I first was trying to break 90 I stopped pulling driver all the time. 330-420, no need to take driver unless your dead on with it. For me, taking 3-wood or even irons for the shorter par 4's helped me hit GIR. On the tee box I always took a club that would get me to 160-100 yds. It's a lot easier to hit the green with a 7iron or less from the fair way than it is something longer from the rough or worse.
I also avoided fair way woods for second shots on long par 5's. Driver, 7iron, PW and 1 or 2 putts is always better than the 250 yd 2wood when 3 wood wasn't getting me on in 2 anyway. Now that my bad rounds are around 85-87 I take a little for risks but the above helped get me to where I am.

For me it was just a matter of smarter play and playing from the green-back. Struggling with GIR mainly due to errant tee shots, when I first was trying to break 90 I stopped pulling driver all the time. 330-420, no need to take driver unless your dead on with it. For me, taking 3-wood or even irons for the shorter par 4's helped me hit GIR. On the tee box I always took a club that would get me to 160-100 yds. It's a lot easier to hit the green with a 7iron or less from the fair way than it is something longer from the rough or worse.
I also avoided fair way woods for second shots on long par 5's. Driver, 7iron, PW and 1 or 2 putts is always better than the 250 yd 2wood when 3 wood wasn't getting me on in 2 anyway. Now that my bad rounds are around 85-87 I take a little for risks but the above helped get me to where I am.

This is the philosophy that I have started using. It seems to be helping but I seriously need to improve my iron accuracy. I'm still only hitting 6 GIR on the best days.

Almost had it second round of the year, 93! But I will get under 90 soon! and then i'm never looking back!

What ever the dues are to join this club, I want in. I certainly qualify. I have a goal of breaking 90 consistantly by years end. I have started hitting my 3 and 4 iron off the Tee Box. Playing shorter clubs on second shots have helped. I just have to work on anything under 50 yards to the pin.

my course management definitely gets me sometimes. instead of making par or bogey, I end up making 2-3 extra shots coz of "hero" shots. LoL. great reminder!

This is the philosophy that I have started using. It seems to be helping but I seriously need to improve my iron accuracy. I'm still only hitting 6 GIR on the best days.

What's your miss? Left, right or the dreaded 2way miss (left one time and eight the other)? If it's two way, work on swing to get the ball consistently going one way, preferably right-left (draw). When I started lessons, goal was to me hooking the ball. Nice that happened it was a matter and dialing it down and makin it manageable.
You can't get GIR and score if you don't know which way the ball is going to go.

Feeling Better about my play but still not shooting as well as I would like. Sunday's heartbreak round brought a 99 to the card :( But I left knowing that there were 10-15 strokes I easily could have shed! And for the 3rd time this year I had a makeable Eagle attempt and ended up with Par :sadpandaface:

I'm back in this club after consistently shooting high-80's at the end of last year. Took some lessons, which has helped my swing, but I just haven't had as much time to play and practice the changes so I'm not playing consistent golf right now. I've got the putter working now though, so I plan on going low-80's before the year is out.

What's your miss? Left, right or the dreaded 2way miss (left one time and eight the other)? If it's two way, work on swing to get the ball consistently going one way, preferably right-left (draw). When I started lessons, goal was to me hooking the ball. Nice that happened it was a matter and dialing it down and makin it manageable.
You can't get GIR and score if you don't know which way the ball is going to go.

My miss tends to be left with the occasional right. I'm going through a grip change right now so I think the iron misses will work themselves out. Played well yesterday and hit 8 GIR. This is the second sub 90 round I have posted. I seem to be on my way...

Due to a combination of bad weather, injuries and work I hadn't been able to play in over a month. Went to the range on Saturday and struggled. Went back on Sunday to practice some more and decided to play 9 instead. I had no plans to even keep score but things started OK.

After birdieing the 6th I realized I was +2 with 3 to play. I walked to the 7th and sat on the bench to calm down. The 6th, 7th and 8th holes at Baywood are where your game can really blow up. I flubbed a chip on 7 but still made bogey, pared the 8th and then hit my drive into the trees on 9. I lucked out, found my ball and had an opening. With a bogey at 9 I was in with my first 40! Still can't believe it.

Due to a combination of bad weather, injuries and work I hadn't been able to play in over a month. Went to the range on Saturday and struggled. Went back on Sunday to practice some more and decided to play 9 instead. I had no plans to even keep score but things started OK.

After birdieing the 6th I realized I was +2 with 3 to play. I walked to the 7th and sat on the bench to calm down. The 6th, 7th and 8th holes at Baywood are where your game can really blow up. I flubbed a chip on 7 but still made bogey, pared the 8th and then hit my drive into the trees on 9. I lucked out, found my ball and had an opening. With a bogey at 9 I was in with my first 40! Still can't believe it.

Great round bump.

I actually am a new member to this club, down from the Breaking 100 thread.
Last four rounds: 99, 98, 99 and 90.
The 90 came on Friday when I played with my 4 year old for the first time (tee'd him up about 50 yds from the green).
Carded a 43 on the front and really let that get to my head as I went for a 47 on the back 9.

Getting of the tee is my main issue. I'm constantly fighting a duck hook that I don't know where it came from.
My problem used to be a gigantic banana slice but that has disappeared.
It's the only club I hook.
I stand over the ball in the tee box and I fall apart.
I'm a stubborn SOB and refuse to leave it in the bag.
I could probably play my 3H to about 200-215 of the tee.
I might start that this weekend on the shorter Par 4's and see what happens.
I know I say that now, but when it comes time to hit, I'm sure I'll have driver in hand.

91 yesterday. 49-42. After the first nine, my goal was 40 on the back. Oddly, 10,11 are what did me in! Lack of concentration was kicking me in the shin.I hope to break 90 again this week.

It's been a great two weeks. 87 last week with my first eagle, then Friday 82 - (9 pars and an eagle from 87 yards out!). It's great to see all the practice FINALLY paying off.

I played twice again this weekend. First at Keith Hills from the tips (71.7, 128). Went out with a 37, came home with a 50 (ouch). But I did break 90.

Sunday I went out and played a new course called The Preserve at Jordan Lake. It was a very nice course but very difficult to me (72.8, 138). Went out with a 47 came home with a 44 for a 91.

Looks like my game is finally improving. :D If I can get 2 rounds in 1 weekend that are sub 90, ill move over to the other thread.

Shot a 98 this weekend and know I could've broken 90 (or at least come a lot closer to it) if the flatstick had been on... 44 putts! Yes, 44 putts!

If I had averaged 2 putts per hole, that would've put me at 90 instead! Well, pretty apparent where the practice needs to be put in!

95 last Saturday's league play. course rating 72.7/137. 50 front and 45 back. back nine is suppose to be the harder of the two. drop shots & lack of concentration on a few holes were the culprit.

I shot 92 this Sunday, with a 46, 46. I walked the front and then rode the back when my wife and son showed up. I'm actually pretty happy with the score. I don't feel I played particularly well so to get out of there with a 92 was a bit of an achievement. My swing is coming along nicely. I took one OB penalty on the front and 2 on the back. Not great I know, but considering I've been spraying the woods for some time now I was really happy about it. I still have plenty of work to do to reach my low 80's goal, but I really feel like I can get there now.

I shot 92 this Sunday, with a 46, 46. I walked the front and then rode the back when my wife and son showed up. I'm actually pretty happy with the score. I don't feel I played particularly well so to get out of there with a 92 was a bit of an achievement. My swing is coming along nicely. I took one OB penalty on the front and 2 on the back. Not great I know, but considering I've been spraying the woods for some time now I was really happy about it. I still have plenty of work to do to reach my low 80's goal, but I really feel like I can get there now.

92 and not playing "well" isnt bad at all. Penalty strokes cripple me too off of the tee, amazing how much better the score is without them lol....keep it up!

92 and not playing "well" isnt bad at all. Penalty strokes cripple me too off of the tee, amazing how much better the score is without them lol....keep it up!

Thanks Mike. I am working harder on my game right now than I ever have before. My driver is coming along nicely. I noted OB penalties in my original post, and one of them was a thinned PW off the tee to a 130yd par three. Sucker never got more than a foot of the ground and just rocketed straight away. One hop in front of the green, and screamed into the woods. One of the OB penalties was stricktly my fault (I know they all are), I made a conscious decision to go after one of my drives and hit it further right than forward. OB penalties aside, when I missed fairways they were by feet rather than miles so I am really happy about that.

Oh man, I'm in this club too. Was much closer at then end of last season then I am right now, but my game is coming around. Biggest thing is hitting shots you know you'll be ok with even if its a not a perfect hit.

Thanks Mike. I am working harder on my game right now than I ever have before. My driver is coming along nicely. I noted OB penalties in my original post, and one of them was a thinned PW off the tee to a 130yd par three. Sucker never got more than a foot of the ground and just rocketed straight away. One hop in front of the green, and screamed into the woods. One of the OB penalties was stricktly my fault (I know they all are), I made a conscious decision to go after one of my drives and hit it further right than forward. OB penalties aside, when I missed fairways they were by feet rather than miles so I am really happy about that.

Sounds like your game is really coming along! You will be shooting low 80's before you know it. Can't wait to get a round with you again and see what changes you've made.

Back