Trying To Break 90 Club

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone play again. Hopefully everyone will have a good day and we can see what everyone can really do.

I'm up for it... I'm on call right now which means I have to work on Saturday, but I'm open to a cheap round (preferably Wendell CC) on Sunday. I'd say I'll play anywhere, but I'd hate to drop $40-50 bucks only to get a call and have to leave!

That Vision Golf ball just stayed in play all day. I went out alone, and got paired up with some guys I didn't know. I just stayed in my head and played well all day. Stopped worrying about hitting it a ton off the tee, played a bunch of 3 woods off the tee to stay in play, and wound up hitting 9 of 13 fairways! What a difference!

These are words to live by my friend. We all say it and then don't live by it. But short and straight wins the day.

I can't wait to get in another round with my THP compadres! I'm on call until 8-19. I still have that 4-person groupon for Hedingham, plus I have a single for Eagle Ridge! We need to get in a round soon.

OK, I've been lurking here for a few months using it as motivation to finally break the 100 barrier and after breaking 100 three times in the last four rounds (99,98,99) I'm going to unlurk here and declare my intention of breaking 90 before next years THP Outing!

Looking at my stats for the last 20 rounds I need to work on the following to shave 8 - 10 strokes off my scores:

A. More GIR I am averaging less than 20% GIR. Now, in all honesty, until recently I was fighting a new swing but lately (tempting golf gods here), I seem to have a comfort level with my new swing and now am pretty sure I'm giving up yardage due to my driver loft. I'm playing a 13.5 driver I was fit for when I first started playing seriously about 28 months ago. Also looking at my stats in the last 7 rounds, when I began really hitting the ball off the tee well so that my 2nd or sometimes even my 3rd shot wasn't just put me in position to make a good shot, my GIR was 45% and the last two rounds that I've broken 100, it has been 65% (side note, I picked up 10 - 15 yds on my tee shots with the Precept iQ+ I'm testing for THP). So, I'm thinking and will confirm this with my instructor, that by getting a new driver with a lower lofted driver will get me out even a bit further.

B. Better bunker play. This has been a nemesis of mine for most of this season which just burns me up because until this season I loved playing out of bunkers. Pretty sure this is mental because when I work on it with my instructor and/or by myself I do well but as soon as I find myself on the course, the beach gets in my head. I find myself climbing in the bunker saying to myself "OK, just get this out of here this time". Needless to say, I'm going to keep working on it.

C. Putting the ball where I'm aiming more often. This is the #1 thing that I need to work on. It used to be I was just excited to get the ball going in the general direction of where I was aiming but now that isn't enough. I want to be putting the ball within 15 yards of where I'm aiming not the 40 yds I'm currently living with. Part of this is getting more solid with my set up and not rushing myself on course. Also, when I KNOW in my gut and heart of hearts that I haven't got myself set up correctly or don't have the right club or don't feel comfortable about something, I need to trust myself to stop, back off, and reset myself.

D. Clean up some of the crap 2nd and 3rd shots. Yesterday was a perfect example of this. I would have shot 96 or maybe even 95 if I hadn't taken absolutely perfect drives and then done stupid shots with the 2nd by chunking a long iron, standing up on a fairway wood, or putting the ball in the rough or a bunker.

So I'm looking forward to being here and learning the secret of breaking 90!

Good luck on your goal Mary. Congrats on breaking the 100 mark! 90 will be a cinch!

I really thought I had a chance today. I showed up at the course with the intention of playing smart instead of well...dumb ("going for it", etc). I got a small bucket of balls for the range and spent ample time stretching and taking light practice swings. At the range I started off swinging easy, focusing on my swing plane and ball contact. I didn't feel great, it was like my mechanics were off but I couldn't pinpoint what was going on. By the last few balls I was taking full swings and while I still wasn't feeling it, I was making good contact and hitting straight. On to the first tee.

First five holes were bogey, bogey, par (from the sand 25' out!), bogey, par. At this rate I had a chance! I was making good contact and hitting where I wanted the ball to be. 6th hole is a par 5 with hazards half way out on both sides. I hit my driver 260yds and right in the middle of the fairway and normally I hit my 4wood perfect from this spot. Not today...topped into the hazard on the right. Penalty/drop right where I was standing to try again. Topped to just next to the hazard. Holy hell, what was happening?! 5i from next to the hazard put me a chip away from the green....or should have. I completely botched the chip and it took two to get onto the green. All said and done I took an 8.

7th hole was a par4 going back the opposite way and my tee shot went hard right into the same hazard. Penalty/drop from the hazard and I'm tied up in light tree cover after my 3rd stroke. I tried to punch out with a 7i but a tree sent it back to within 3' of where I'd just hit from. Several totally embarrasing strokes later I put it in the cup with stroke #9.

I had a few good shots here and there but I just felt more and more 'off' the more I played, and I went home with a 104. I woke up feeling like today was going to be the day and I ended up having my worst round in months. So frustrating!

I think I'm going to start doing more stretching every day, not just on the days I play. ...and spend more time at the range working on my driver. That too.

Had every chance in the world yesterday to finish out in the mid to upper 80's. Scored a 90 from the white tees measuring 6489 yards with a slope of 132. I don't feel to bad about it though, I was hitting the driver really well and hit 9 greens in reg. which is good for me. I only had one "bad" hole...triple bogey on 15. Too many three putts was my undoing. Going out again this morning for another go to get over that 90 barrier.

OK, I've been lurking here for a few months using it as motivation to finally break the 100 barrier and after breaking 100 three times in the last four rounds (99,98,99) I'm going to unlurk here and declare my intention of breaking 90 before next years THP Outing!

Looking at my stats for the last 20 rounds I need to work on the following to shave 8 - 10 strokes off my scores:

A. More GIR I am averaging less than 20% GIR. Now, in all honesty, until recently I was fighting a new swing but lately (tempting golf gods here), I seem to have a comfort level with my new swing and now am pretty sure I'm giving up yardage due to my driver loft. I'm playing a 13.5 driver I was fit for when I first started playing seriously about 28 months ago. Also looking at my stats in the last 7 rounds, when I began really hitting the ball off the tee well so that my 2nd or sometimes even my 3rd shot wasn't just put me in position to make a good shot, my GIR was 45% and the last two rounds that I've broken 100, it has been 65% (side note, I picked up 10 - 15 yds on my tee shots with the Precept iQ+ I'm testing for THP). So, I'm thinking and will confirm this with my instructor, that by getting a new driver with a lower lofted driver will get me out even a bit further.

B. Better bunker play. This has been a nemesis of mine for most of this season which just burns me up because until this season I loved playing out of bunkers. Pretty sure this is mental because when I work on it with my instructor and/or by myself I do well but as soon as I find myself on the course, the beach gets in my head. I find myself climbing in the bunker saying to myself "OK, just get this out of here this time". Needless to say, I'm going to keep working on it.

C. Putting the ball where I'm aiming more often. This is the #1 thing that I need to work on. It used to be I was just excited to get the ball going in the general direction of where I was aiming but now that isn't enough. I want to be putting the ball within 15 yards of where I'm aiming not the 40 yds I'm currently living with. Part of this is getting more solid with my set up and not rushing myself on course. Also, when I KNOW in my gut and heart of hearts that I haven't got myself set up correctly or don't have the right club or don't feel comfortable about something, I need to trust myself to stop, back off, and reset myself.

D. Clean up some of the crap 2nd and 3rd shots. Yesterday was a perfect example of this. I would have shot 96 or maybe even 95 if I hadn't taken absolutely perfect drives and then done stupid shots with the 2nd by chunking a long iron, standing up on a fairway wood, or putting the ball in the rough or a bunker.

So I'm looking forward to being here and learning the secret of breaking 90!

Good luck Mary! Wow, 65% GIR and all two putts is par on 65% of the course. I'm doing good if I get 50% GIR so I rely on my short game. I know you are a good putter. Looks like you just need to rid yourself of the blow up holes and you will reach your goal fast. You know my woes with the sand. I think I will start a bunker thread!

I think I am there again, I just have not played enough holes to know. Work got jacked up recently and golf is a bit low on the list. I hope to play in the morning and know for sure if I am an 80's guy again. I am hitting it longer and with more accuracy, which is great! our bent grass greens are toasted and putt like alternating shag carpet & tile.

Well after 3 round of 91 it finally happened today, I shot a 89 just sneaking under 90. The driver was great all day, right down the middle. Had a few holes I would like to replay, but was still able to make it under 90. I feel I just need to make less 3 putts and have a few better chips and I could break 85.

Good luck Mary! Wow, 65% GIR and all two putts is par on 65% of the course. I'm doing good if I get 50% GIR so I rely on my short game. I know you are a good putter. Looks like you just need to rid yourself of the blow up holes and you will reach your goal fast. You know my woes with the sand. I think I will start a bunker thread!

Kelly, what has completely helped my bunker game has been I spend one day every three days of practice in the sand pit. I just spend about an hour doing nothing but hitting out of the sand. Yea, it's the blow up holes.

Last night for example I started out birdie, par, bogey, triple bogey, bogey, double, birdie, quad, triple. The two triples and the quad all could have been avoided if I hadn't done completely stupid shots with long irons/fairway woods from the fairway (i.e. taking my time, making sure my set up was right, and if it didn't feel right back away and start over) instead of rushing, chunking something or hitting it funny and then all the sudden instead of being in the fairway where I put my drive I'm off in the crap and having to chip out back to the fairway (I take my medicine and just put it back in the short grass). The quad was a water ball that I KNEW I shouldn't hit the club I had in my hand (my 3W) because if I got ahold of a really good hit it would fly to the water but there was a group on the tee behind us and I was worried about holding them up so instead of going back to my bag, getting my 6i and putting myself where I had about 40yds to the hole, I decided to take a chance and sure enough got ahold of the whole ball and flew green and "splash".

Oh well, in last four days I've been losing a shot a day or rather winning a shot (99, 98, 97, 96) granted two of thoses scores are on my home course where I know what to hit where and so I really just have to think about form but I'm excited!

the quest continues. seems like I'm getting close then goes back to mid to high 90's again. at least I'm getting close. before the next league play, I need to get dialed in pitching and chipping again. and putting for sure. I'm been hitting the ball decent so I'll try to minimize range/practice time to what I need the most help on.

Well I broke 90 a few weeks ago for the first time but I would love to be able to do it regularly. As with most, it is the blow-up holes and putting, so that is what I'm going to focus on. I could always move up to the more appropriate tees, but my damn leagues have ALL of their tourneys from the back tees - Grr!

On Saturday, I finally broke 90. My friend says that it doesn't matter because it wasn't on a Par 72 course. It was on a Par 69 (a 36 and 33). I believe that I still broke 90, so I feel just as happy with it.

Thoughts?

First time in this thread, but I've read a bunch of it and am in the same boat as most.

Have been out around 20X this year. Started out just over 100 as someone coming back to the game and going thru a major swing revamp. Been making slow steady progress, low 90's on the place I play the most in recent rounds. Had a terrible day and shot 90 on a real short/easy course while away on holidays last week.

Got out at the local place yesterday, with my son who is a beginner. Was unconscious on the front, 4 pars 5 bogies for a 41, easily my best 9 of the year and very consistent from hole to hole, in all aspects of my game. Blew up to the tune of triple-triple in the middle of the back ended 49 for 90 ARGHH just one putt or decent approach/chipshot away. Soooooon.

Well, I am in the club with you guys. I have shot in the low 90's three of the last four rounds. My biggest problem trying to break 90 is having a blow-up hole and then the two or three 3 putts from 15-20 feet that I yank. Good luck everyone!!

Well, I am in the club with you guys. I have shot in the low 90's three of the last four rounds. My biggest problem trying to break 90 is having a blow-up hole and then the two or three 3 putts from 15-20 feet that I yank. Good luck everyone!!

I'm telling you dude, we'll get you there. I got you down 10+ in a few weeks. Just more practice is all you need. I know you have the game for it. I've seen some really good golf from you. You will break 90 in the next month or two!!!!

Played a few new courses to me last week and was mid 90's on two courses and then played a course that I have once before and went back to a 108. The greens were just so fast and I just couldn't adjust.

Hopefully get a few more rounds in this week and next and get back on track.

Last 5 rounds 86-87-87-93-105+ I'm losing it , my swing is gone

I tapatalk better then I tapaputt

game of golf seems so simple yet so hard ... need hard work and dedication to the game ... what i would do to be able to play like a pro lol hahaha

Hi... I am new out here... I want to know briefly that what is this topic all about and are we supposed to write in here... I hope to get idea about it ... Thank you...!!

Agh, I'm starting to slip the wrong way. Two 98s today.

Oh. My. Gawd. Even after 4, 2 over after 6. 42 on the front. Triple triple on 10 and 11 but get myself under control. Standing on the par 5 18th tee needing par to break 90 for the first time since the 1990's. On the green in regulation about 12' away despite a slightly fat wedge shot. Looked up and stubbed my putter and got the ball halfway to the hole, then missed the 6 footer. Another 90 (2 in a row), had six 3 putts (which is a lot for me, a couple would be normal - heck, I almost had a 4putt which is just not me), was horrid off the tee (fixed on range session immediately after, I was taking away too flat). On the plus side, was real good from the fairway (most GIRs of the year) and playing from trouble, a couple of 'hero shots' worked well (hybrid from a bunker on 14 that I nutted despite a lip right in front of me, cut 5 iron from behind a tree on 17) and chipped better than I have since the beginning of the year. Ah well, it's very close now, this could have VERY easily been an 85 or better, unlike some previous rounds where 91-95 was all I had in me. Time for yet another putter change, back to the Boc Heavy for me.

Took about a week off from playing, planning a round on Tuesday. It's a course I have never been to before but looks like a lot of fun. Needed a little time away from the course, too much playing and not enough practice I think. My game was starting to slide a bit. Gonna go to the range and putting green before the round to hopefully get myself back in the grove I was in. I will let you all know how it goes after the round, the quest for sub-90 continues.

It's been a while since I've posted in here, but... No excuses! Recently I've shot 94, 90, 93, 97. Today however I shot 86! Career round for me. This may seem trite as I made a similar post not to long ago when I shot 87 (a career round), but it was really a boring round. Only this time I played with Yorkem, and he can completely back me up. We have played together enough for him to know today was a really BORING 86 for me. I was stunned when he told me what I shot! Hell I shot a 97 with him yesterday on the same course!

I wish I could play boring golf every time I went out. :D

I shot an 87 in July this year, although I would not say I broke 90 because I can't do that consistently, my normal score is 90-94.

Ok guys, yesterdays round was ruined by the I'm guessing around 100 or so teenage girls and their coaches in front of us. It took 4 hours to play the front 9, was so frustrated after 9 that i left. Couldn't get in any type of rhythm, shot a 45 on the 9 that I was able to get in. had 3 pars, just could not for the life of me figure the greens out. You step on them and they are super soft, but there was no stopping the ball n the green and then you putt and just tap it and the ball flies. Couldn't figure it out. Planning on going again friday morning. Should be teenage girl free.

Back