Trying To Break 90 Club

Well it was one of those rounds. Completely lost my swing on the 4th hole and struggled the remained for my worst round in 2 months 100.

On a side note my putting was decent except Shaw was swatting em out of the cup like a blocked shot. :ROFLMAO:

Got 9 in yesterday. Lately I have really been working on consistent ball flight. What I have found is just moving the ball back in my stance a bit with each club really improves my contact and also eliminates 2 way misses and produces a consistent fade. I played the fade yesterday and voila' shot a 45. Bogey, double, par, then 6 bogeys in a row. That's the type of consistency that will consistently get me under 90 and help me take the next step lower with my handicap.

Since my last 5 full 18 rounds have been in the 92-94 range and my driver has become a force for good in my game I am noticing my yippy putter from inside of 5 feet. I practiced a bit with the claw grip which I think is really just trying to force the right hand to stay out of the stroke which makes sense so I really tried to putt with a quiet right hand yesterday and I really felt like I was putting online more consistently. Time will tell I guess.

It's going to be a great week of weather in Louisville so I am hoping I can take a couple of cracks at the old 90 barrier since I am off all week.

@DataDude where do you have the ball in stance now? Pretty center?

@DataDude where do you have the ball in stance now? Pretty center?
On irons center to right of center, on Driver like 2/3ish from right foot to left.

Last 5 rounds 93-92-94-93-93

Every round I can easily find 6 or 7 strokes I lost for something stupid.

Just back in from shovelling the latest dump of snow.

Thinking back over the season and the number of 92-94's, this quote sure rings home.

Shot a few 44's. Shot one 90.

But those two or three holes....one in particular...Hit a par 3 Gir in regulation, couple of steps on, with the hole 5 steps in from the right back, with a serious slope in front of the ball and a green sloping to the back right. Three putted to get over that mound cuz I was afraid the ball would roll past the hole...it kept rolling back to my feet...stupid, stupid, stupid

My goal for the last two seasons has been breaking 90. I keep getting close (91 last Monday), then fight wet weather and consistency, and shoot over 100. Fortunately, my driver isn't an issue. It is once I get get in the fairway. The range doesn't help, as we hit off mats November to April. This leads to a false sense of adequacy, as you can't hit fat off the mat. Is there a way to compensate for the mat to get a real feel for hitting your irons well?

My goal for the last two seasons has been breaking 90. I keep getting close (91 last Monday), then fight wet weather and consistency, and shoot over 100. Fortunately, my driver isn't an issue. It is once I get get in the fairway. The range doesn't help, as we hit off mats November to April. This leads to a false sense of adequacy, as you can't hit fat off the mat. Is there a way to compensate for the mat to get a real feel for hitting your irons well?

I really dislike hitting off mats for this exact reason. Will be interested in the collective THP experience on this subject.

Played 18 yesterday. For the second time in my last 3 rounds the cart died in the middle of the round. Packed up everything and went on foot for a couple holes until they brought another cart. Caught up to a twosome that was doing more drinking than playing and they wouldn’t let us through. I fought my new irons the whole round. I only hit 3 solid irons all day. Every other club was pretty good. From 50yds and in I was as good as I’d been all year. I hit a lot of really good putts that came up just short. The greens were crazy slow. I just couldn’t get myself to hit a putt hard enough to get to the hole.

Even though the round was a mess I shot a 90. I’ll take it considering it was only my second time out in almost 2 months. Right after the round I was down on myself because it could’ve been much better but thinking about it more last night it was closer to being really bad than really good. If my short game hasn’t cooperated I’d have easily been in the 100’s.

Played today and hit 89 again. Twice now. Still left some shots out there but over all I was pretty happy with the way I played.

Got a round in today. My daughter joined me as my chauffeur for the day so we had a great time spending a few hours out on the course. Last few holes were almost in dark with balls hard to track.

48 front and 45 back on a newish to me course. I played the front 9 several weeks ago, but the back I hadn’t played in quite a few years.

All in all I feel pretty good about how I played today. Had 3 pars, no triple bogeys.

One great hole with a birdie. This was hole 2 which is a par 3, 159 yards. Grabbed my 7 iron, got it up and left on the green and the ball kept rolling, the ball settled within a yard or so of the pin.:cool:

D380A715-43E7-4FA1-B5AD-07995A222738.jpeg

Driving today was off and on, but the last few holes where we were running out of daylight, oddly enough I had some of my straightest drives. LOL!!

Got a wet and soggy round in today. Rained most of the day yesterday and some more overnight, so was cart path only.

46 on the front and had a very quick 9 holes as I was one of the only ones out there it seemed.

On the back 9 I had a few great holes together from 10 through 14 where I was +1, then some blow up holes decided to show up.

Ended the back with 44 for an even 90. So close yet again to breaking this barrier.

Hit more fairways and GIR than I have been hitting so things I think are looking up. Iron approach shots were solid today. 39 putts for the round with 3 holes where I 3 putted. :dohanim:

Man you are getting so close.

Got another round in today as I continue my extended holiday time off.

Different course and essentially same result as yesterday though.

47 on the front with a few double bogeys. 3 putt on two holes and only 1 par.

Was in great shape at the start of 18 and was at 84 with hole 18 being a par 4.

Had a good drive just left of fairway and 240 yards. 5 wood topped the ball and only went 50 yards.:dohanim: 7 iron hit fat going 75 yards. :dohanim::dohanim: 52* struck well 80 yards into bunker on left side of the green. Got out of bunker easily and then 1 putt to finish off.

44 on the back 9 and felt much better with 4 pars. For a 91. :rolleyes:

One more chance in the year to break 90 with a morning tee time tomorrow.

Last edited:
Got my last round in for 2019 and it did not go as I had hoped. Was hoping to finally break the 90 barrier but was met with putting on greens that were very fast. After playing a different course on Monday, went back to my home course and did not adjust for the speed of them. 5 holes were I had 3 putts.

49 on the front and 44 on the back for a 93.

Highlight of the round was getting GIR's on 3 straight holes on the back 9. On 10th hole, I chipped in to save par from 15 yards out.

I will break 90 very soon, I can feel it. My driving is getting better, my irons are making good contact and I am starting to feel a bit better about chipping, fewer duffed short chips the last few rounds. Need to put some work into putting next. Can't break 90 very easily when you are putting close to 40 times per round.

First time posting in here. Just ended the year with a 95 (47/48). I’ve hit in the 90’s before and hit 88 & 89 twice this year, as well as a bunch of 100’s. Kinda teetered back and forth on which one of the threads to post in (breaking 100/90), but decided in posting in this one as my goal for 2020 is to be a consistently in the 90’s and chip away at breaking it! Good luck to you all in 2020!

My last 4 rounds have gone 90-96-90-94. Ive had 5-8 penalty strokes on each round, so I know the fairways are my friend! My last round I had 5 pars, each starting with a FIR. Every time I hit a fairway that round, I managed par.

My last 4 rounds have gone 90-96-90-94. Ive had 5-8 penalty strokes on each round, so I know the fairways are my friend! My last round I had 5 pars, each starting with a FIR. Every time I hit a fairway that round, I managed par.

You are in Redington, what course are you throwing those up at?

After frustrating back to back 97 rounds I’m hoping to put it together today. My iron play has been my strong point in the past but this week it’s been MIA. Hopefully a little range time before my round will help. I’m doing something different, just not sure what it is.

Opened the new year with a fun round, 4 foursomes playing Texas Scramble. Shot well, but can't count the score. Friday, actually shot my first score of the year, started like a burn out. Couldn't get any distance on a soggy course, only got one bogey in the first 6 holes. Not much you can do when even your betters are getting bogies and doubles. Finally started hitting on the par 3s, 3 pars out of 4 holes. Finished with a 97, could have been worse, could easily been better. Still need a lot of work on 100 yards and in. Had too many long second putts. Wet greens just slow and grainy.

First round of 2020 in the books. Started the year just as I ended it...95 (49/46). Had some struggles with the driver today until the last 2 holes. I think the biggest saver has been keeping the 56° & 60° wedges in the bag and using my 52° for anything around the green. I haven’t had any of those 2-4 ft duff/chunks since doing it. Those duffs have been the biggest PITA for keeping scores lower than 100. Now that my 2020 season is officially underway, it’s time to put in the work and get these scores lower!

Welp, I guess this is the thread I need to live in!
I seemed to live between 91 and 97 essentially all last season and just couldn’t get below 90.

I began last season doing all I could to shoot a 95. Stuck with my swing coach and lessons and it’s crept into the low 90’s much more frequently. These days I certainly shoot par on many more holes than I used to but still have the blow up holes that kill a scorecard. I’ll frequently have a 9 that give me that hope at the turn only to knock me down a few pegs shortly thereafter ?.

Most of my bad holes are a result of the space between the ears and less on the simple mechanics these days. It’s funny how the struggles just find new ways to pick at you as you improve on others.

Here’s to getting to know you all In the breaking 90 thread and hopefully all see each other in the breaking 85 and 80 threads shortly!

First round of 2020 in the books. Started the year just as I ended it...95 (49/46). Had some struggles with the driver today until the last 2 holes. I think the biggest saver has been keeping the 56° & 60° wedges in the bag and using my 52° for anything around the green. I haven’t had any of those 2-4 ft duff/chunks since doing it. Those duffs have been the biggest PITA for keeping scores lower than 100. Now that my 2020 season is officially underway, it’s time to put in the work and get these scores lower!

nice progress. My move to a pressed 8i whenever I can around the green really helped.

I seemed to live between 91 and 97 essentially all last season and just couldn’t get below 90.

I began last season doing all I could to shoot a 95. Stuck with my swing coach and lessons and it’s crept into the low 90’s much more frequently. These days I certainly shoot par on many more holes than I used to but still have the blow up holes that kill a scorecard. I’ll frequently have a 9 that give me that hope at the turn only to knock me down a few pegs shortly thereafter ?.

Most of my bad holes are a result of the space between the ears and less on the simple mechanics these days. It’s funny how the struggles just find new ways to pick at you as you improve on others.

Here’s to getting to know you all In the breaking 90 thread and hopefully all see each other in the breaking 85 and 80 threads shortly!

This sounds exactly like the stage I’m at right now. Keep swinging. We’ll get through.
Or play a lot of golf in the process.

I’m my own worst enemy on the course. I can’t seem to put together a consistent game. Some days the driver is going great and the irons suck. Then there are rounds where the irons are good and the driver sucks. Don’t even get me started on the days when the short game and putting are in the toilet. Lol I’m at the point where it’s time to $h!t or get off the pot...I need lessons and practice. Looking forward to this journey together to getting thru 90.

Back