Trying To Break 90 Club

Breaking 90 consistently is my goal as well. Three times, I've shot 41 on front 9 only to shoot 50 or 51 on back 9. Short game is my downfall. Driving and putting no problems. I get about 30 - 40 rounds a year. Courses here open end of May and close beginning of October.

Welp 45/46=91 for the day. 5 pars, 8 bogies, 4 doubles and 1 triple. 41 putts on the day where I’ve been averaging 1.97 per hole. Course was extremely soggy given all of the rain we received yesterday.

Not sure what to think of this round as I certainly feel I’ve played considerably better than I did today. This was one of those rounds that felt like it should be 10 strokes higher than it wound up.

At least I got to get out and play today!

I did not score well today. Rust, tightness, golf. Whatever you want to call it, the phrase of the day was “well that’s golf”.
There was good there was bad/ugly. But it was a beautiful day. And I played with some fun people.

My driving was actually, date I say, a bright spot in the round. It hita lot of fairways. Even two 260+ drive that hit the fairway! On the proper holes I used a 5W and was rewarded with 225 in the fairway. Safe from danger.

putting cane around late I holed two 11+ ft putts to one put that hole.

90 seems far off with a 102 round. But the quality of my makes is trending in a good direction.

90 seems far off with a 102 round. But the quality of my makes is trending in a good direction.

Tell me about it man. I shot a 101 today with 40+ putts. 2-4Putts!!! I mean 3 putts I can swallow, but 4 putts and 2 of them to boot! Like you said, that’s golf Lol. Just got to take the good shots with the bad and keep grinding away. Good luck, bud.

Shot 87 on Saturday scoring 42 Stableford points, cut down to 19.1 from 21.5. So happy to start the year off with a great score, especially happy with teh front 9, only 3 over par from 2 to 9, including 5-9 being 1 under par. Putted really well, which makes a big change for me.

Hopefully this sets me up nicely for the stretch goal of down to 15 handicap by the end of the year.

I did not score well today. Rust, tightness, golf. Whatever you want to call it, the phrase of the day was “well that’s golf”.
There was good there was bad/ugly. But it was a beautiful day. And I played with some fun people.

My driving was actually, date I say, a bright spot in the round. It hita lot of fairways. Even two 260+ drive that hit the fairway! On the proper holes I used a 5W and was rewarded with 225 in the fairway. Safe from danger.

putting cane around late I holed two 11+ ft putts to one put that hole.

Right there with you on my round yesterday. Overall not good, but some shining moments.

Got a round in yesterday after some rain on Saturday so it was cart path only which made it somewhat slow.

Started off on first hole with my drive getting caught in the wind and hooking about 30 yards off center and was able to recover nicely to get about 20 yards from green and then my poor chipping showed up.

This wasn't indicative of the whole day as my drives afterwards were really good, with my highest fairways percentage hitting 50% of them on the day. Some of drives that were not counted, per Arccos, as fairway were right on the edge (y) Couple drives in the 260's. With my driver, I had always dialed up the loft with the shaft. I decided to put the shaft at standard loft and see what happens. The result was some really great and straighter drives than I have experienced.

Putting was again just above my average with 43.

Short game continues to be just all kinds of horrible all day long and really drove my score up. When I had a great drive, I just could not get out of my own way and follow it up with a good shot afterwards. On hole 6 of my home course, drove 240 yards on one hole which is a slight dogleg with water along the entire fairway on the left hand side. Hit the drive in middle of fairway with perfect position to hit a straight 170 yarder to the green. The other water hazard is on right side of green once you go over the water to get to rest of fairway. Duffed 2 shots into the water from there. Then when I finally get a good shot, chip the ball 10 yards to get up to the green which still leaves me with a very long putt.

52 on the front and 51 on the back for my first century score since August. :dohanim:

Thankfully I had a great drive, 260 yards middle of fairway, on the last hole. That kind of shot will certainly keep me coming back for more. :cool:?

Tell me about it man. I shot a 101 today with 40+ putts. 2-4Putts!!! I mean 3 putts I can swallow, but 4 putts and 2 of them to boot! Like you said, that’s golf Lol. Just got to take the good shots with the bad and keep grinding away. Good luck, bud.

yep. sometimes 4 putts happen. I've thankfully never had 2 in a round.

Got a round in yesterday after some rain on Saturday so it was cart path only which made it somewhat slow.

Started off on first hole with my drive getting caught in the wind and hooking about 30 yards off center and was able to recover nicely to get about 20 yards from green and then my poor chipping showed up.

This wasn't indicative of the whole day as my drives afterwards were really good, with my highest fairways percentage hitting 50% of them on the day. Some of drives that were not counted, per Arccos, as fairway were right on the edge (y) Couple drives in the 260's. With my driver, I had always dialed up the loft with the shaft. I decided to put the shaft at standard loft and see what happens. The result was some really great and straighter drives than I have experienced.

Putting was again just above my average with 43.

Short game continues to be just all kinds of horrible all day long and really drove my score up. When I had a great drive, I just could not get out of my own way and follow it up with a good shot afterwards. On hole 6 of my home course, drove 240 yards on one hole which is a slight dogleg with water along the entire fairway on the left hand side. Hit the drive in middle of fairway with perfect position to hit a straight 170 yarder to the green. The other water hazard is on right side of green once you go over the water to get to rest of fairway. Duffed 2 shots into the water from there. Then when I finally get a good shot, chip the ball 10 yards to get up to the green which still leaves me with a very long putt.

52 on the front and 51 on the back for my first century score since August. :dohanim:

Thankfully I had a great drive, 260 yards middle of fairway, on the last hole. That kind of shot will certainly keep me coming back for more. :cool:?

My first drive when 90 yards, and thankful stopped just short of the forced carry.

I looked at my Arccos data. I squandered my best performance from the tee to date as well. It said I hit 8/14 fairways. However, my longest drive of the day 264 yards, found the green grass too. so thats 9/14! completely unheard of in my game.

Do you have a good short game practice area? THe close course to me, does not. there is a chipping green with bunker, but the hitting areas are not in good shape and very different from the course conditions. I need to explore the other courses in my "membership" to see if they have better practice areas.

My first drive when 90 yards, and thankful stopped just short of the forced carry.

I looked at my Arccos data. I squandered my best performance from the tee to date as well. It said I hit 8/14 fairways. However, my longest drive of the day 264 yards, found the green grass too. so thats 9/14! completely unheard of in my game.

Do you have a good short game practice area? THe close course to me, does not. there is a chipping green with bunker, but the hitting areas are not in good shape and very different from the course conditions. I need to explore the other courses in my "membership" to see if they have better practice areas.
Nope. The course has a very small green with a bunker next to it in a very small area, but, nothing that can get me anything close to on the course practice of chipping. I also need to seek out some other courses to check out their practice areas.

Breaking 90 and staying consistent are two different things! I had one game last year that I played 87. Whatever happened felt really nice that day - everything was syncing nicely. Had games that I played 92, 97, 99, but what is bad is that I seem to hover around the 100ish mark for the highest percentage of my games and wished I could at least stay in the 90s. What is it with a dang 100 that I cannot seem to evade?

You are in Redington, what course are you throwing those up at?

hey, didn’t see this before. I’ve been playing Bardmoor, but shot 90 at The Bayou Club today.

Breaking 90 and staying consistent are two different things! I had one game last year that I played 87. Whatever happened felt really nice that day - everything was syncing nicely. Had games that I played 92, 97, 99, but what is bad is that I seem to hover around the 100ish mark for the highest percentage of my games and wished I could at least stay in the 90s. What is it with a dang 100 that I cannot seem to evade?

it's a big magnet on our brains. at least for me, it was that goal I strived for....for such a long time. the new thought of breaking 90 needs time to take hold in our psyche.

Got a round in yesterday with my regular Sunday playing group.

Hadn't been able to play for 2 weeks and it showed on the first hole. Topped the tee shot which thankfully made it over the creek, but it rolled for a ways, but hey it was in the fairway dangit:ROFLMAO:. Duffed a 3 wood, had a nice approach shot using 5 iron to just in front of the green. Chipped up, then 3 putt for a triple to start off. Fantastic!! :dohanim:

2nd hole, got great contact with driver and went 278 yards middle of fairway, 60 yard chip up to the green and was left with a long way to the pin, 3 putt for bogey. The remainder of the day was much like this. 45 putts on the day, and my chipping slowly getting a bit better. 7 holes in total with 3 putts.

Did have a few pars on the day. Par 4 7th hole got to right at end of fairway with a 240 yard drive, chipped up 55 yards to green with 60* wedge and 2 putt. Par 3 12th hole, landed tee shot with 8iron on the green within 20 feet of the pin, 2 putt. Par 3 17th hole, just missed green on right side of green, almost in bumker, but held up in rough, chipped onto green which left me a 10 foot putt for par.

47-49 = 96

Leaving so many strokes out there with my putting. It's all a work in progress as not one aspect shone through as consistent on the day.

Got a round in yesterday with my regular Sunday playing group.

Hadn't been able to play for 2 weeks and it showed on the first hole. Topped the tee shot which thankfully made it over the creek, but it rolled for a ways, but hey it was in the fairway dangit:ROFLMAO:. Duffed a 3 wood, had a nice approach shot using 5 iron to just in front of the green. Chipped up, then 3 putt for a triple to start off. Fantastic!! :dohanim:

2nd hole, got great contact with driver and went 278 yards middle of fairway, 60 yard chip up to the green and was left with a long way to the pin, 3 putt for bogey. The remainder of the day was much like this. 45 putts on the day, and my chipping slowly getting a bit better. 7 holes in total with 3 putts.

Did have a few pars on the day. Par 4 7th hole got to right at end of fairway with a 240 yard drive, chipped up 55 yards to green with 60* wedge and 2 putt. Par 3 12th hole, landed tee shot with 8iron on the green within 20 feet of the pin, 2 putt. Par 3 17th hole, just missed green on right side of green, almost in bumker, but held up in rough, chipped onto green which left me a 10 foot putt for par.

47-49 = 96

Leaving so many strokes out there with my putting. It's all a work in progress as not one aspect shone through as consistent on the day.

this sounds like my rounds. except my "too many strokes left out there" is with my driver/5W/irons and the occasional muffed chip. I putt at basically 2/hole.

this sounds like my rounds. except my "too many strokes left out there" is with my driver/5W/irons and the occasional muffed chip. I putt at basically 2/hole.
I gave my 3 wood a chance again yesterday and hit some great shots with it. Read where @ApexFan had dialed his same 3 wood up 2* so I gave it a shot an it does make a big difference. Longest of the day was a 2nd shot of a par 5 hole made great contact and hit it 248 yards to left of green. Some other shots were in the 210-230 range which is/was a gap in my bag. It's one round, but I will take it as a good sign of things to come from that particular club that I had zero confidence in using from my prior rounds with it. (y)

I gave my 3 wood a chance again yesterday and hit some great shots with it. Read where @ApexFan had dialed his same 3 wood up 2* so I gave it a shot an it does make a big difference. Longest of the day was a 2nd shot of a par 5 hole made great contact and hit it 248 yards to left of green. Some other shots were in the 210-230 range which is/was a gap in my bag. It's one round, but I will take it as a good sign of things to come from that particular club that I had zero confidence in using from my prior rounds with it. (y)
Heck yeah. Glad to hear it. The fact that I hit so many solid shots told me it was what I needed. Even before the round on the range, I was hitting more good than bad by 3 out of 4. Compared to before the change I might hit 1 or 2 out of 10. Worth a try if anyone is struggling.

Absolutely beautiful day out on the course yesterday. Unbelieveable that in February, it was in mid 70's here in Dallas.

Had a pretty horrible swing on the course though. :dohanim:Driver was just horrible, irons cooperated for the most part and saved quite a few strokes with them. Hit more greens in regulation on recovery shots than I have in the past. 3 wood performed pretty well also as I continue to gain confidence in using it. Hit a great shot on 6th hole over water 192 yardsand landed on the green. I did take 1 triple in that hole though, as I hit into water on first attempt. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

49 from 47 on back for a frustrating 96. 3 pars on the day, 2 on par 3 and 1 on par 4.

45 putts, really need to start working on this as it seems I have regressed the last few months. Average is creeping up as I have had some horrible rounds due to my putting. Have a mat that I got end of last week that hadn't been able to use yet. Will get some work in starting this week.

Finally getting back into some consistent golf. Going to meet a few local THP Phoenix guys in a few weeks, looking forward to that.

A few thing I have been working towards since leaving Tucson and transitioning to Phoenix. I find it a bit more difficult to get prractice time in, we lived on a course in Tucson, (specifically Vail,AZ) and I was always able to make time to play or practice. So now that we have finally bought a house after renting for a year, I am going to look into making my own ball hitting area in my back yard.

I joined a golf group, they call themselves U-hack (how fitting!) Any way it's mainly a bunch of older dudes telling bad dad jokes and having some fun. They meet once a month, and the league manager does a great job setting up monthly golf outings all over Phoenix.

As for my game it goes like this, anything 6k and under and I almost always break 90, 6200 and lower it's a 50/50 shot. Anything over 6200 and I have a good shot over getting over 100. That being said I have scored 98, 86, 88, 89, 96, 96.

I would also like to point out, any round where I suffer on PAR 3's my score suffers too. If I play +2 or under on par 3's I am usually breaking 90.

Any ways.......glad to be finally back, looking forward to seeing you snowies get your first round of the year in. Super fortunate to live in AZ.

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

Finally getting back into some consistent golf. Going to meet a few local THP Phoenix guys in a few weeks, looking forward to that.

A few thing I have been working towards since leaving Tucson and transitioning to Phoenix. I find it a bit more difficult to get prractice time in, we lived on a course in Tucson, (specifically Vail,AZ) and I was always able to make time to play or practice. So now that we have finally bought a house after renting for a year, I am going to look into making my own ball hitting area in my back yard.

I joined a golf group, they call themselves U-hack (how fitting!) Any way it's mainly a bunch of older dudes telling bad dad jokes and having some fun. They meet once a month, and the league manager does a great job setting up monthly golf outings all over Phoenix.

As for my game it goes like this, anything 6k and under and I almost always break 90, 6200 and lower it's a 50/50 shot. Anything over 6200 and I have a good shot over getting over 100. That being said I have scored 98, 86, 88, 89, 96, 96.

I would also like to point out, any round where I suffer on PAR 3's my score suffers too. If I play +2 or under on par 3's I am usually breaking 90.

Any ways.......glad to be finally back, looking forward to seeing you snowies get your first round of the year in. Super fortunate to live in AZ.

Welcome back Sean! Glad to hear you have a regular group - enjoy it!

And I’ve seen you play: I think you’re sandbagging just a little with that 79.5 GHIN ;)

Getting frustrating playing lately. It has been raining every other day, so my course has been sloppy wet. Getting good drives off the tee, but hitting out of the fairway is near impossible. And if I get a decent shot, it stops dead short of the green. It took until the 18th to get a par. Any advice on how to hit out of tight and wet lies?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome back Sean! Glad to hear you have a regular group - enjoy it!

And I’ve seen you play: I think you’re sandbagging just a little with that 79.5 GHIN ;)
Yeah I noticed the "high" ghin.....should be 19. Hope your doing well Jeff! I noticed another unofficial trip but it just does not work for me. I am thinking next year for sure.

Getting frustrating playing lately. It has been raining every other day, so my course has been sloppy wet. Getting good drives off the tee, but hitting out of the fairway is near impossible. And if I get a decent shot, it stops dead short of the green. It took until the 18th to get a par. Any advice on how to hit out of tight and wet lies?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe club up? Or is it down? The greens will or should be slow so roll out would be minimal I would presume, so instead of hitting a 7 go for a 6.

Played 4 days ago and shot 94. It’s taken me at least 3 holes, my last few rounds, to settle in and get into a groove. Definitely could’ve broken 90 if it wasn’t for 6-3Putts. I couldn’t read greens at all for some reason...41 total putts ?
The one good thing is I was hitting my 4H a lot better and used it with more confidence than I had been doing in the past few months.

took to the sim yesterday and played around with my grip seeing i was fading always to the the left. ive tried everything turning over my wrists more, a slightly open/ closed stance it never dawned on me my grip was wrong as i just started and hit the ball well. after seeing a few golfers and @patfan golf i noticed a more overlaping grip so i decided to try it out. to my surprise if it didnt work straighter ball flight and longer yardage. granted i still had some stragglers but for the most part they were on the money. ;)

Back