Trying To Break 90 Club

Not my best day. 52 and 48 for a nice fat 100. I struggled all day but not in my typical fashion. Warmer temps and beautiful course conditions. Unfortunately I was a club long all day. High light of the day was my first ever 305 yard drive, followed by a 290 on the next hole. I’m usually around 270. This is all good on drives off the tee. Not so much on approach shots sailing over greens. I did make some great shots but it was just one of those days over all.
Wow...305? Man you totally rocked that. Sailing over the greens, not so much fun especially when they are those high elevated greens.

Wow...305? Man you totally rocked that. Sailing over the greens, not so much fun especially when they are those high elevated greens.
Gee dude, those are some serious numbers! How long are the courses you're playing?

Being new to the game and making grip and swing changes I think it’s to be expected. I do think the 80 degree temps helped. Just need to work on these changes until they become more natural for me. Also apparently I need to relearn my distances.

I feel I’m stuck in a rut with my game. I’m making much better contact. But the duffs feel like they impact my more.
One tbing I’ve learned yet don’t know how to fix, I have an alignment issue. It’s mainly a push. When I pull it I feel that in poor hip rotation. But the push.... I hit it straight. Launch it high, it just goes way right of what my eyes tell me I’m aligned to.
I’m not sure how to work on it. I’m focusing on lining up the leading edge of my club. Then grip club, Then align the body to that. But it’s clearly off. Playing partners have pointed out this “traught” whole watching me swing.

I feel lost in the other variables that affect a miss. That’s it’s hard to learn that recalibration needed to fix alignment.

any good tips on proper use of sticks and drills?

I feel I’m stuck in a rut with my game. I’m making much better contact. But the duffs feel like they impact my more.
One tbing I’ve learned yet don’t know how to fix, I have an alignment issue. It’s mainly a push. When I pull it I feel that in poor hip rotation. But the push.... I hit it straight. Launch it high, it just goes way right of what my eyes tell me I’m aligned to.
I’m not sure how to work on it. I’m focusing on lining up the leading edge of my club. Then grip club, Then align the body to that. But it’s clearly off. Playing partners have pointed out this “traught” whole watching me swing.

I feel lost in the other variables that affect a miss. That’s it’s hard to learn that recalibration needed to fix alignment.

I have no tips, I really try to concentrate on aligning the tip of my shoulder towards the pin.

Don't matter us two duffers are gonna kill it on Sunday!!

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

Take of 2 9's for me today. 43/50. But that's the life of this thread. 6 one putts, 1 3putt. Two of the 6 one putts were over 20 feet.

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

Cut and paste from the B100 thread.

*sorry to you guys that get double tagged. :LOL:

Played with @Doubleb21, @mtbloco, and @tucsoncacti yesterday at an Unofficial AZ Gathering to celebrate the birthday of our very own @oumagic at Poston Butte Golf Club. Had a great time with everyone and carded a 46/44 90. Not earth shattering but I was pretty pleased considering I've only played twice since early December and practiced about 3 times. The last time I practiced was Saturday and it was discouraging, to say the least.

1 birdie, 4 pars, 7 bogeys, 6 doubles for a cap adjusted 68. I'll take that. The good news was no triples and I played 4 strokes under my cap (when I would have been happy to shoot within +9 of my cap the way I've been hitting the ball the past couple of times out). Highlight of the round was playing 14, 15, 16 at par, birdie, par for a three hole stretch of -1. Only lost two balls. One in the water on the #17 island green and a provisional that I had no interest in searching the desert for after we found my original tee shot in play. All in all a decent round. (y)

Go to Home Depot and get the $2.00 fiberglass driveway markers. Get at least two (I sometimes use four depending on what I'm doing. I set one up aiming directly at my target in front of the ball anywhere from 12-18". Set the second one down exactly parallel to the first rod but back at your stance. A lot of people thin that the second one s to align your feet and, to a certain extent, it is. what it's really for, though, is to align your shoulders. Now when you set up this way and look at what you're used to seeing, the very first thing you're going to do is let your eyes tell you that you're aimed way too far left (as a righty). DO NOT LET YOUR LYING EYES FOOL YOU. You are, now, aligned PERFECTLY to your shot.

Without getting too involved with the explanation, we are not designed to see things, with the proper perspective, looking sideways at ANYTHING. It's not in our evolution. If you g to Youtube and watch Jack Nicklaus' Golf My Way (I think that's the title) He talks about the the two lines of alignment. One being the ball's alignment to the target and the second being your body's alignment to the target. Here's the most important part: Those two lines should NEVER CONVERGE. EVER. They stay parallel to each other regardless of the club you use (from driver to wedge). Use those alignment sticks and GET USED TO THE PICTURE THAT YOU SEE when you set up practice with them. You'll need that mental picture when you get to the course and the alignment stick are in the bag.

Pay attention the next time you watch golf on t.v. Several times you'll say to yourself "He's lined up way too left". Or at impact you'll say to yourself "Oh, he pushed that" (especially when they show the shot from behind the golfer) only to realize that he nutted it right at the flag.

Check it out, Brian because after playing with you yesterday alignment is a major issue for you. I sure as hell wasn't going to be "that guy" on the course yesterday. But, since you're asking for advice in this thread, I'm giving you what I've learned and what I saw out on the course with you, brother. Go splurge the $4.00-8.00 and start working with them. Pros use the for a reason too, my man. We have to constantly remind ourselves of what our eyes AREN'T seeing.

Go to Home Depot and get the $2.00 fiberglass driveway markers. Get at least two (I sometimes use four depending on what I'm doing. I set one up aiming directly at my target in front of the ball anywhere from 12-18". Set the second one down exactly parallel to the first rod but back at your stance. A lot of people thin that the second one s to align your feet and, to a certain extent, it is. what it's really for, though, is to align your shoulders. Now when you set up this way and look at what you're used to seeing, the very first thing you're going to do is let your eyes tell you that you're aimed way too far left (as a righty). DO NOT LET YOUR LYING EYES FOOL YOU. You are, now, aligned PERFECTLY to your shot.

Without getting too involved with the explanation, we are not designed to see things, with the proper perspective, looking sideways at ANYTHING. It's not in our evolution. If you g to Youtube and watch Jack Nicklaus' Golf My Way (I think that's the title) He talks about the the two lines of alignment. One being the ball's alignment to the target and the second being your body's alignment to the target. Here's the most important part: Those two lines should NEVER CONVERGE. EVER. They stay parallel to each other regardless of the club you use (from driver to wedge). Use those alignment sticks and GET USED TO THE PICTURE THAT YOU SEE when you set up practice with them. You'll need that mental picture when you get to the course and the alignment stick are in the bag.

Pay attention the next time you watch golf on t.v. Several times you'll say to yourself "He's lined up way too left". Or at impact you'll say to yourself "Oh, he pushed that" (especially when they show the shot from behind the golfer) only to realize that he nutted it right at the flag.

Check it out, Brian because after playing with you yesterday alignment is a major issue for you. I sure as hell wasn't going to be "that guy" on the course yesterday. But, since you're asking for advice in this thread, I'm giving you what I've learned and what I saw out on the course with you, brother. Go splurge the $4.00-8.00 and start working with them. Pros use the for a reason too, my man. We have to constantly remind ourselves of what our eyes AREN'T seeing.

As written above, I know alignment is a major issue with me. It's actually getting worse. My eyes are a big part of it. I'm way past due for an exam (scheduled for Friday) and get new glasses. THis will be a big part of it. Over the last 4-6 rounds, I could tell that my alignment was getting worse, yet I didn't know what to do about it. I have shorter alignment sticks, but I take you point, I need longer ones to train myself. Fortunately, I'm already paying for unlimited range balls...so I know have a lot to practice.

I know your not that guy to say something on the course. It would have been well received. (had we not been "competing" ;)) . You were playing very well. Enjoyed watching you play like that. but i'm not giving you a putt anymore. you're too good.

My personal highlight was @tucsoncacti getting into @Doubleb21's head with his putter, driver, and fairway game. :love:;)

As written above, I know alignment is a major issue with me. It's actually getting worse. My eyes are a big part of it. I'm way past due for an exam (scheduled for Friday) and get new glasses. THis will be a big part of it. Over the last 4-6 rounds, I could tell that my alignment was getting worse, yet I didn't know what to do about it. I have shorter alignment sticks, but I take you point, I need longer ones to train myself. Fortunately, I'm already paying for unlimited range balls...so I know have a lot to practice.

I know your not that guy to say something on the course. It would have been well received. (had we not been "competing" ;)) . You were playing very well. Enjoyed watching you play like that. but i'm not giving you a putt anymore. you're too good.

My personal highlight was @tucsoncacti getting into @Doubleb21's head with his putter, driver, and fairway game. :love:;)
Dude, it was actually getting comical. On #15 Brian was CERTAIN that he had him with a par. After two unspectacular shots and one decent chip onto the green there @tucsoncacti was with another 12 footer to tie the hole. Of course, her drained it. Brian was just shaking his head all the way back to the cart. :ROFLMAO:

Dude, it was actually getting comical. On #15 Brian was CERTAIN that he had him with a par. After two unspectacular shots and one decent chip onto the green there @tucsoncacti was with another 12 footer to tie the hole. Of course, her drained it. Brian was just shaking his head all the way back to the cart. :ROFLMAO:

I forget the hole, but I heard @Doubleb21 comment to you in the cart when @tucsoncacti piped that long approach onto the green! I knew right then that he was shook. And promptly informed my partner.

I forget the hole, but I heard @Doubleb21 comment to you in the cart when @tucsoncacti piped that long approach onto the green! I knew right then that he was shook. And promptly informed my partner.

LMAO you were not in my head he was lights out with his driver and putter. I might shake my head for the competition aspect of the round but truly happy to see him doing so well! That was a great day

I finally did it, but what a wild ride. Was doing OK until a huge blowup on hole 13, at which point I figured I was done. But my last 5 holes went par, par, par, bogey, and then a final par needing a 10 foot putt, so I squeaked in with an 89.
That’s awesome. Congrats!

Well tying into all this, it sounds like I played amazing but surely I did not. 49/46 for a 95. Anything 130 yards to 180 was a pure nightmare. Need a major overhaul on my mid iron swing, I have an idea on a few things I have to work on when thinking back on my Sunday round....feet pressure and grip pressure. If I did not have a short game that saves my bacon on a consistent basis I would be sitting in the breaking 100 thread for sure. (I feel I am pretty competent with my wedges)

Any way.....anyone here that gets a chance to play with @mtbloco @Doubleb21 or @robrandalgz you will not disappointed, a good time you will have.

Well done on the 90 Randy....that was a tough course.....and not to rub it in or anything but that sand trap on 18 effed you over.

Thought some of you in the same dilemma as me with short game issues may enjoy this. I came home and did some work on this off the mat and it felt good pretty quickly. Much easier then whatever it is I was trying to do.

That is a belter or a post dude, am going to do exactly that myself because I’m never 100% confident I’m lined up correctly 🤞🏻

Good day on the range today. I’m continuing to work with the L to L swing. I was seeing a big improvement to peak height. The range rocks seemed towering to me. Even managed to start getting my problematic 5i to elevate.

obviously I've got a long way to go to engrain this new swing. But results are showing me Im on a better path.

After not playing for 2 years due to injury (achilles), I’m finally back on the course. Establishing a handicap again was a major priority. My high was a 13 in 2016, but then got married, bought a house, went back to school, and injured my achilles.

First three rounds came in at 103, 99, 94. I’m making improvements, but really struggling off the tee. I know I’m coming in really steep, and battling an over the top type move. Sucks to lose 3-4 balls a round from the slice or huge pull, and end up playing 3 off the tee again. I’ve preordered the tour striker planemate, but that won’t be around until June. I’m really hoping to get some serious range time in each week to work on it, and hopefully break 90 consistently.

This thread feels like home! I hover on either side of 90, especially on my home course where I'm familiar and comfortable with everything and it's a fairly easy, straightforward course. Playing other courses, I can be anywhere from 85-100+ depending on the course and what kind of day I'm having.

Last year I was pretty consistently in the mid-80s on my home course, but lately have been in a slump - last 12 scores have been 89, 94, 98, 92, 89, 90, 87, 89, 93, 92, 86, 85. I'm hoping that some of it is just the cold weather (I hate playing in long pants and long sleeves!), but I need to shake the inconsistency and get rid of the couple blow-up holes every round that are sabotaging my game.

I just completely re-did my bag from top to bottom so I expect a little bump in the road as I adjust to the new clubs, but hopefully soon I'll turn the corner and consistently get back below 90.

Yesterday bro and I played what might be our last round for a while. Bro had a rough start with a couple of topped shots on the par 4 first hole. His game came around to bogey, par, then birdie golf by the time we made the turn. The highlight was holing a 30 yard pitch. He finished the day with a satisfying 90.
I also started poorly, two lost balls on the second hole and a third lost ball later in the round. I settled down after the turn and a few beers, finished the round bogey, bogey, par, par for a 99.

Finally starting to see a trend in the right direction. After a 95 on Monday and a 92 on Wednesday, I shot an 81 today (with a triple bogey on #17, grrrr!). Hopefully it's a sign of things to come.

After struggling with poor swings and shots all of February and most of March (shooting 100-111). I finally pulled it together and figured out what I was doing wrong and hopefully won’t have that issue the rest of the season or ever for that matter.
Played this past weekend and shot upper 90’s (96 & 99). Played yesterday with a couple buddies and put my best round of the season up so far. I was so close to breaking 90, I had a blow up hole on the back 9. It really killed my score and I tried to keep it together mentally. After that, I was just happy that the finish line was near. My boy, @ByronMahoney battled me all day and put up his best score ever of 87!
B61BD27D-A4A0-43D6-9968-79F1971A76D5.jpegDA5C2CF1-4740-40B8-9821-A69546A053AC.jpeg

Last 3 rounds - 83, 92, 86. So still treading the line, up and down. I was +4 after 9 today, then proceeded to go +10 on the back.

Back