Trying To Break 90 Club

When you mention a narrow stance, how narrow? Some guys are wider than shoulders and others right at shoulder width. Some can even be narrower, but normally that doesn't work as well except with shorter wedge shots. My buddy says I have too wide a stance, but when I narrow it up, my overall play suffers some.
So for me personally it was all based off of correcting my iron play. When it was all said and done I basically had the same stance as I would with my driver. Even though in my head it was not that way. After adjusting my width I would have to say for me personally it is right at or just a bit inside of my shoulder width.

So for me personally it was all based off of correcting my iron play. When it was all said and done I basically had the same stance as I would with my driver. Even though in my head it was not that way. After adjusting my width I would have to say for me personally it is right at or just a bit inside of my shoulder width.
At the risk of thinking too much I tried to pay attention to my stance during last nights round. It seems my stance is shoulder wide for driver and long irons, I half a foot width narrower for short irons. My width with wedges varied down to having my feet side by side on green side shots. If I was on a slope for a short shot it ended up whatever it needed to be.

Last edited:
Well I need to focus on the good.....and understand what the bad tells me.

bad, flubbed some shots I should have taken a pause and walked away. Putter poor on difficult greens to read. Only 2 bad Explosion holes. But they sucked. Having one be 18 sucks donkey

The good: two pars abd only one 7 on the front for a 48.

the great: Five pars on the back nine.

93. On a course I’ve never played.

I'm gonna have to start posting in here if I don't break 90 again soon. I was firmly planted in the 80 thread last year and even broke 80 four times, but I'm really shytting up the courses this year. Can't wait to find the answer again.

Well I need to focus on the good.....and understand what the bad tells me.

bad, flubbed some shots I should have taken a pause and walked away. Putter poor on difficult greens to read. Only 2 bad Explosion holes. But they sucked. Having one be 18 sucks donkey

The good: two pars abd only one 7 on the front for a 48.

the great: Five pars on the back nine.

93. On a course I’ve never played.
I played with @mtbloco yesterday and, trust me, the bad wasn't nearly as bad as his score would indicate. As he mentioned, he had a few shots that dribbled out there because he lost his focus (who doesn't that happen to?) but overall his game is coming around, especially off the tee. The first time I played with him, more often than not, it was his game off the tee box that would get him in trouble before he even had a puncher's chance at scoring. His tee game, now, is one of the more solid parts of his game (not gonna lie, I'm super jelly).

One thing I've noticed that past couple of times that I've played with Brian is that that dude has a knack for hitting some REALLY solid recovery shots when he finds himself in trouble. It's not automatic, mind you, but he does it enough times that if I were playing a match against him that at no time would I feel that I have an automatic advantage if I'm in the fairway and he's in the sh!t. I've seen him hit the green (or close to) too many times from the trash to get comfortable regardless of where my ball is.

I shot a 91 (two under my handicap) yesterday in a match play call out that I got absolutely gorrilla stomped by @oumagic (6&5).:ROFLMAO: Sean played the course about ten years ago and Brian, Chris (@Wildcat4life) and I have never played before. It's a pretty highly rated course and it was in pretty decent shape but, I'm not going to lie, the greens were a disappointment. I'm not sure what disease issues they had (they filled in the pits with green sand, but three times I found myself with my ball either directly behind the damage or with teh damage directly in the line of my putt. Sean tried to move my ball away from the damage once but I moved it back (we were in a match play and I had to play it as it lies even if my opponent was trying to help me out). The really disappointing thing was that we all spent quite a bit of time putting on the practice green to get a feel for the course. The practice green was LIGHTNING fast. It had to have been stimping at 12-13+. The course? Not even close. I'd be surprised if they stimped out at 10 (if that). We all left so many putts short on the first few holes waiting for that speed to show up. It never did. I try not to blast a Superintendent when I don't know what issues they are dealing with but the maintenance on those greens was sub-par for a course so highly rated. The rest of the course was in great shape, though. I'll give them that.

TLDR version. Brian shot 93, I shot 91 in a match that I got whooped, greens were disappointing and Brian's going to beat my score next time we play. (y)

I played with @mtbloco yesterday and, trust me, the bad wasn't nearly as bad as his score would indicate. As he mentioned, he had a few shots that dribbled out there because he lost his focus (who doesn't that happen to?) but overall his game is coming around, especially off the tee. The first time I played with him, more often than not, it was his game off the tee box that would get him in trouble before he even had a puncher's chance at scoring. His tee game, now, is one of the more solid parts of his game (not gonna lie, I'm super jelly).

One thing I've noticed that past couple of times that I've played with Brian is that that dude has a knack for hitting some REALLY solid recovery shots when he finds himself in trouble. It's not automatic, mind you, but he does it enough times that if I were playing a match against him that at no time would I feel that I have an automatic advantage if I'm in the fairway and he's in the sh!t. I've seen him hit the green (or close to) too many times from the trash to get comfortable regardless of where my ball is.

I shot a 91 (two under my handicap) yesterday in a match play call out that I got absolutely gorrilla stomped by @oumagic (6&5).:ROFLMAO: Sean played the course about ten years ago and Brian, Chris (@Wildcat4life) and I have never played before. It's a pretty highly rated course and it was in pretty decent shape but, I'm not going to lie, the greens were a disappointment. I'm not sure what disease issues they had (they filled in the pits with green sand, but three times I found myself with my ball either directly behind the damage or with teh damage directly in the line of my putt. Sean tried to move my ball away from the damage once but I moved it back (we were in a match play and I had to play it as it lies even if my opponent was trying to help me out). The really disappointing thing was that we all spent quite a bit of time putting on the practice green to get a feel for the course. The practice green was LIGHTNING fast. It had to have been stimping at 12-13+. The course? Not even close. I'd be surprised if they stimped out at 10 (if that). We all left so many putts short on the first few holes waiting for that speed to show up. It never did. I try not to blast a Superintendent when I don't know what issues they are dealing with but the maintenance on those greens was sub-par for a course so highly rated. The rest of the course was in great shape, though. I'll give them that.

TLDR version. Brian shot 93, I shot 91 in a match that I got whooped, greens were disappointing and Brian's going to beat my score next time we play. (y)

I’m just ramping up for our charity tournament in June! You, me, @Roadrunner, and @Wildcat4life are gonna have a blast up in your woods.

I’m just ramping up for our charity tournament in June! You, me, @Roadrunner, and @Wildcat4life are gonna have a blast up in your woods.
Dude you guys are going to love that June golf in the mountains, brother. Torreon is alive and well so it looks like that tourney is on like Donkey Kong! (I was a little worried that this Covid situation would cancel the event but everything is on track from what I've heard). We'll have to start figuring out who is coming when and for how long so we can set up another round somewhere!

Well my HC is going in the wrong direction currently. Perhaps back where it really should be. My last 6 rounds have all been between 90 and 95. Lack of playing time during the SIP is not helping anything but it is what it is. I played yesterday at a course Ive never played. The first 7 holes were extremely challenging if you dont keep the ball in the middle. I didnt know this until after playing it of course. I was actually hitting well off the tee, but to the right side of the fairway. Basically both sides were kind of like these grass dunes. So your next shot you were always off balance. In hind site Id probably have selected hybrid or iron off the tee for better placement. Anyway I hit a tough 50 on that front 9. The back 9 is more typical of and being in the first cut is still flat. I had many birdie chances but didnt putt well. Had a chance at a 40 on that back 9 but 3 putted on 18 for a 42. Either way I am pleased with the recovery, and the opportunity to get out for a round.

It looks like the restrictions in the state are easing up a bit and more courses are opening. Next week my county is to make an announcement so hopefully they will allow golf. Then I can get back to playing more often.

First round out with my set of Morgan Cup Cobra Speedzone clubs and the first round in 6 weeks or so. I have posted impressions about the clubs in their respective threads, but I am loving all of them.

Shot 91 today and if the greens weren't so danged slow all day i am sure I would have broke 90. Approaches were not the best, but with a new set of irons, I had no clue with them with regards to distances. Over shot the green several times. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Speedzone Xtreme driver was on fire 4 drives of 280+ with high of 309. That is my ,ingest drive since I have been golfing. Did not have one shot that was out of bounds off the tee box with driver and that is one thing that usually gets me in trouble.

Seeing improvement with chipping as I have been spending time in the back yard the last month.

Can't wait to get back out again. Next tee time right now is Thursday. May try to find a time tomorrow and Wednesday.

94 today, but it was a bad day right from the start and didn't improve from there. Hopefully Wednesday will be better.

Putting in work before it gets HOT.

I’m experiencing a case of the yips with my fairway wood and hybrid. its got to be mental. I just can’t make good contact with this club in my hands all of a sudden. Once I started slowing my backswing I finally started getting the ball up into a more proper launch window. Well proper being relative to my naïveté. I’m judging based on ball hanging in net up near eye line to the top of aiming stick.

I know the nerves when I have to hit it are the issue. I used to love this club. One of my more consistent in fact.
04F97728-43D1-42D7-86BB-FA4DF8A49438.jpeg

Shot 94 today. 44 on the front with what I feel may be my best 9 holes to date. Kept the ball in play with some great drives today, but, did also have a few out of bounds on back 9 due to getting a bit tired I think.

My chipping really is feeling good. Have a nice soft feel with the Cobra MIM wedges and several shots chipped within 6 feet of the hole On several holes.

Birdie on 8th hole, par 4, where I drove the green using Speedzone 3 wood.

One of my better putting days with 38 putts today. Only had one 3 putt today. (y)

Shot 94 today. 44 on the front with what I feel may be my best 9 holes to date. Kept the ball in play with some great drives today, but, did also have a few out of bounds on back 9 due to getting a bit tired I think.

My chipping really is feeling good. Have a nice soft feel with the Cobra MIM wedges and several shots chipped within 6 feet of the hole On several holes.

Birdie on 8th hole, par 4, where I drove the green using Speedzone 3 wood.

One of my better putting days with 38 putts today. Only had one 3 putt today. (y)

only going to get better as you keep getting comfortable with those new sticks!

One of my better putting days with 38 putts today. Only had one 3 putt today.
I certainly don't want to question your stats, but I can't figure out how you get 38 putts if you only had one 3 putt. The most putts you could have with only one 3 putt is 37 putts (unless you had something greater than a 3 putt somewhere along the way). Maybe a better putting day than you thought??

I certainly don't want to question your stats, but I can't figure out how you get 38 putts if you only had one 3 putt. The most putts you could have with only one 3 putt is 37 putts (unless you had something greater than a 3 putt somewhere along the way). Maybe a better putting day than you thought??
D'oh! Thanks for noticing that, typo...was actually 36 putts total on the day. :eek:
18 on front and 18 on back. 3 putt was on back along with my only 1 putt of the day.

91 for my round this morning at a course I hadn't played in probably 5 or 6 years. Didn't feel that I shot all that well today, my driver was all over the place. But, score is better than my prior rounds this week as I am getting irons dialed in a bit more.

Chipping again was great and have a new found confidence in a part of my game that was a dumpster fire before the shut downs. :ROFLMAO:

Had several chips within 4 feet of the hole. One chip in particular, I got lucky and hit the pin and ball popped back out to about 3 inches.

Finally below the line again today, 85. Decent putting day with 29 putts (7 one-putts) and no three-putts.

Played a Par 63 executive course (2 par 5's), shot a 74. Iron play has improved immensely, just need to make sure I am pointed in the right direction. Putter and 56 degree wedge were amazing as usual.

Shot an 88 today (44/44) with 33 putts, but only 5/14 fairways. Again struggling off the tee, but did have 2 birdies. Best round of the year so far, though, so it was promising. Drives weren’t too far off, but the rough at this course was quite punishing.
Going to play again tomorrow at the second course for my club, that is a bit wider fairways, but tougher greens.

Finally broke through today at Raptor Bay in Bonita Springs, Florida.

Previous best round ever was a 91. Recently shot a 92 on this course about 2 weeks ago.

Shot an 81 Today from the Blue/White combo tees.

Was super excited but at the same time thinking how close I was to skipping the breaking 80s by going straight to a 79 if I hadn’t wasted 3-4 shots on the course.

When you mention a narrow stance, how narrow? Some guys are wider than shoulders and others right at shoulder width. Some can even be narrower, but normally that doesn't work as well except with shorter wedge shots. My buddy says I have too wide a stance, but when I narrow it up, my overall play suffers some.
About shoulder width.

Finally broke through today at Raptor Bay in Bonita Springs, Florida.

Previous best round ever was a 91. Recently shot a 92 on this course about 2 weeks ago.

Shot an 81 Today from the Blue/White combo tees.

Was super excited but at the same time thinking how close I was to skipping the breaking 80s by going straight to a 79 if I hadn’t wasted 3-4 shots on the course.
Holy cow, that's an amazing jump!

My last two rounds were 90 and 92 so I’m moving here from the breaking 100 thread. Iron play has been better than usual, tee game worse than usual and inconsistent, scrambling has been atrocious and killing me, putting is probably about the same but I have fewer easy putts thanks to the chipping. Honestly, I don’t think it should be too hard to get past this threshold but famous last words...

My last two rounds were 90 and 92 so I’m moving here from the breaking 100 thread. Iron play has been better than usual, tee game worse than usual and inconsistent, scrambling has been atrocious and killing me, putting is probably about the same but I have fewer easy putts thanks to the chipping. Honestly, I don’t think it should be too hard to get past this threshold but famous last words...

This is my game right now too. Getting a little chipping net has really helped. I have enough space to use it with real balls outside 10-12 pace shot, and indoors with foam balls. Sure it can't help with longer parital shots. But for those times I can't use an 8i to bump it on, it has really helped me become more confident in the chipping stroke.

Had an interesting discussion with a "coach" today saying its not the number of putts 2 is good, but what did it take to get those two putts. focus on those shots being a little bit better. whether that is more approaches on the green or better chips to maybe have a shot at 1 putts.

Back