Trying To Break 90 Club

49/49 last night. New driver in play and putting was a few over average. Short game was better than normal and those bloody par 3's only 1 gave me trouble with a triple, the others were par, bogie, par.

I love having a great round but even if it's not the best round, as far as I'm concerned, every time I'm out there playing I'm learning new course strategy, ingraining my stroke, adding muscle memory, conditioning, etc.

I am new to THP and looking to break into the 90s on a regular basis so share your pain. New to golf this season I found myself, like many others, heading to the range once in a while and playing when I can. Then I decided to look into practice regimens and it has helped immensely. I practice putting in my basement on carpeted floor 4-5 days a week @ 40 balls a session. Now when I find myself over a putt on the course the confidence level is much higher because the technique is there. Reading the green is a whole different story. I also practice short game with the yellow wiffle balls and Maxfli sponge balls. That too has helped channel my swing for these shots.
Three putts and chunked chip shots are what I am trying to avoid.
Good luck to all!

45/45 90 GHIN to 89. Two 3putt greens and 4 out of one bunker (par 3 made 7). Two lost balls. One birdie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats Spivey!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

94 today with the short game and putting (4 3-putts) keeping me from breaking 90 this time.

Sent from my D5316 using Tapatalk

Shot 3 over 38 today and it could have been better but the flat stick let me down which is odd because since I got the SeeMore that has been one of the better parts of my game.

Got 2 real 18 holes round scheduled for this weekend and hoping to break 90 for both. I hope all this playing on one course doesn't hurt me when I play on a real course

Wow, 38! Great score for 9.

Wow, 38! Great score for 9.

Thanks just the short little 9 hole course that I volunteer at so I am really hoping it translates to other courses. We shall see this weekend

94 today with the short game and putting (4 3-putts) keeping me from breaking 90 this time.

I know you have the game Andy, figure out that putter and you'll get under 90 in no time

Shot 3 over 38 today and it could have been better but the flat stick let me down which is odd because since I got the SeeMore that has been one of the better parts of my game.

Got 2 real 18 holes round scheduled for this weekend and hoping to break 90 for both. I hope all this playing on one course doesn't hurt me when I play on a real course

38 is unreal, congrats Jesse!

I know you have the game Andy, figure out that putter and you'll get under 90 in no time.

It's been a rough season so far. My handicap has jumped over 4 strokes since the beginning of the year.

It's been a rough season so far. My handicap has jumped over 4 strokes since the beginning of the year.

The pulls killed you for awhile so i can see the hdcp going up. Were the greens rolling quick today at BTC?

48/44 on a day when my driver didn't show up. I joked about this earlier but my brand new irons arrived and are a half inch shorter than the used set I was playing; they already look a mile better on the course. I can feel another sub 90 round coming!

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

The pulls killed you for awhile so i can see the hdcp going up. Were the greens rolling quick today at BTC?
Yeah, having some good scores coming off with all the rounds in the 90s lately.
Greens were sneaky quick.

Yeah, having some good scores coming off with all the rounds in the 90s lately.
Greens were sneaky quick.

That flux in scores going always hurts. Happened to me early this year. Last time I played BTC the greens were faster than the previous time and it took me about 15 holes to finally get it figured out

Got out at 5:30 AM before work this morning... great start, bad finish - 43/52 - 95.

2 birdies (#1 & #10), 3 pars, 4 bogeys, 7 doubles, a triple and a 10 on a par 5 (two tee shots OB). 3 GIR and two 3 putts.

First time I've had two birdies in a round. Both were driver / 6i; first one to 4 feet for tap-in birdie on #1 and then to 10 feet on #10 and drained the putt. Felt great.

I just had the blowup on the par 5 and it got in my head for the next two holes - double/triple... ugh.

Still encouraged, though. Several good shots today.

Terrible round today. 98 (47-51). Really struggling with the mental game.

I've been in a bit of a slump for a few weeks now, but its not a bad one. I have been under 100 my last 14 rounds, but have only cracked 90 twice and haven't really been that close otherwise. Today went out in 50, in 45 for a 95. Had a great sand save on the 2nd hole and made a birdie on my 8th hole after sticking the tee shot to a couple feet. 1 birdie & 4 pars today, so it wasn't all that bad. 33 putts, 3/14 FW and 3/18 GIR. Oddly enough my tee game wasn't all that bad, just didn't quite keep it in the short stuff. I've got rounds tomorrow and Sunday so hopefully I get it together a bit this weekend.

now I want to cry... 44 and 54, I need to get in shape badly, the back nine gets rough

now I want to cry... 44 and 54, I need to get in shape badly, the back nine gets rough
Seems to be a theme, strong front 9, rough back. You were 46/46 at Glen Oak when we rode...hmmm

I did it today, it was on a par 66 course but everything seem to be clicking. Got my first Eagle as well

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

The break 90 club....i used to have no problem. Now, i have a knee waiting to be replaced, 2 repaired shoulders, repaired neck, and recovering from early year health problems that have sapped my strength. Ive golfed since i was 12, taught by my grandfather. The game can create the most peaceful time of my day or week. My son is at that age where he knows everything and we argue all week, until we get to the course. Golf is the greatest game when you play well and the worst game when you dont. I used to say that i kept golfing not because of the 80 terrible shots, but because of the 3 or 4 really good shots. My goal when i go out is to play bogey golf. I dont hit far enough any more. If i play bogey golf with a few pars or even a birdie or 2 i met my goal. I learned that a courses par 4 may be a 5 for me. While i used to shoot low 80's or high 70's, as i get older, my targets change. When my head is in the right place, and depending on course and how well i know it, i set a gal each time i go out. Its hard to shoot well on a new course, but a new course is a different challenge and i just remember that. I may shoot 105 on longaberger or old stonewall, but i learned the course so if i play it again i have a better idea.

the biggest part for me is who im playing with. If i dont know you i take a few holes to get comfortable. Remember golf is 90% mental? if i can play well enough to control my stupidity, i can break 90 most times, but if i dont, those few hours on the course are the best relaxation of the day or week.

So when you go out and dont hit your goal, take a deep breath and enjoy the time on the course. Golf is a fantastic game! Getting on THP has helped bring the love of the game back to someone who didnt get to play much the last few years.

As far as whats in my bag? Some woods, some irons (thanks phillyv)and a pretty nice putter ( thanks cure!)

Sambamdad, what tees are you playing since you admittingly have lost some distance with all the injuries and health issues? Hope you're recovery is going well too.

Trying To Break 90 Club

45/51 -96 today. 5 pars, 6 bogeys, 4 doubles, 2 triples and a 10 on the same $&@! par 5 I hit two OB shots on yesterday (yes, I was OB again twice there today - ugh). It's in my head now. Gotta shake it.

Did manage to hit 5 greens and had only one 3 putt.

I need to commit to some significant range time before I get back out on the course. No rounds for me this next week: practice only.

Last edited:
45/51 -96 today. 5 pars, 6 bogeys, 4 doubles, 2 triples and a 10 on the same $&@! par 5 I hit two OB shots on yesterday (yes, I was OB again twice there today - ugh). It's in my head now. Gotta shake it.

Did manage to hit 5 greens and had only one 3 putt.

I need to commit to some significant range time before I get back out on the course. No rounds for me this next week: practice only.
Next time out, change the strategy on the par 5 - tee off with an iron, get in play. You might just need a different perspective for a bit.

Back