Trying To Break 90 Club

Sounds like your game is really coming along! You will be shooting low 80's before you know it. Can't wait to get a round with you again and see what changes you've made.

A guy has to have a goal. I look froward to getting back out with you as well. Especially know that you will be testing the Yonex Hybrid.

how often do you guys go for hero shots? I mean, you have doubt you won't pull off the shot but you do it anyway. I normally try to hit one or two "hero" shots on practice rounds to see if I can pull it off. on league days, I try to be conservative. if I know I'm in trouble, I'll stay away from "hero" shots, like trying hit a shot in between trees, etc. do you guys always keep count on your practice round. I'm thinking one day, I'll just try to have fun and go for everything. LoL

I'm posting this in 2 threads (breaking 85 and breaking 90) since it's the first time I broke 90. My goal this year was to break 90 at least once and consistently score in the 90's. I might have to readjust those a bit. Thanks to the RXT's I shot and 83 on a par 73 (so +10) yesterday. It was 101 degrees outside when I was playing so I was literally and figuratively on fire yesterday. I think it actually helped considering it kept my mind off the score.

Right now my weakness is putting, as my playing partners yesterday can attest to. They said that if I can get my putting woes to bed I'd be scoring in the 70's easily. I just don't want to get too ahead of myself though as I know this is a long journey. I'm just glad I took the next steps yesterday.

I'm posting this in 2 threads (breaking 85 and breaking 90) since it's the first time I broke 90. My goal this year was to break 90 at least once and consistently score in the 90's. I might have to readjust those a bit. Thanks to the RXT's I shot and 83 on a par 73 (so +10) yesterday. It was 101 degrees outside when I was playing so I was literally and figuratively on fire yesterday. I think it actually helped considering it kept my mind off the score.

Right now my weakness is putting, as my playing partners yesterday can attest to. They said that if I can get my putting woes to bed I'd be scoring in the 70's easily. I just don't want to get too ahead of myself though as I know this is a long journey. I'm just glad I took the next steps yesterday.

Great job Spank. I've broken 90 a couple times, but I'm not close enough yet to try or the 85 club. Soon though, soon! Congrats again on the great score.

if you break 90's and consistently score 80's on the tee's just after the senior/ladies tees, does that count? ever since I joined a league, my score has increased. I was scoring in the 100's a few times. also, the courses we've been playing are harder per course/slope ratings. so, I'm not really sure how to grade myself. currently playing the 2nd longest tees, sometimes longest, I'm finding myself scoring in the mid to high 90's. I'm assuming I'm improving since I'm scoring better with longer yardage course and harder courses. hope this make sense.

if you break 90's and consistently score 80's on the tee's just after the senior/ladies tees, does that count? ever since I joined a league, my score has increased. I was scoring in the 100's a few times. also, the courses we've been playing are harder per course/slope ratings. so, I'm not really sure how to grade myself. currently playing the 2nd longest tees, sometimes longest, I'm finding myself scoring in the mid to high 90's. I'm assuming I'm improving since I'm scoring better with longer yardage course and harder courses. hope this make sense.

That's an interesting question. I don't play in league, so I get to choose what tees I will play from.

how has your hadicap been fluctuating?

That's an interesting question. I don't play in league, so I get to choose what tees I will play from.
that's what I'm saying. I used to play whatever tees before too but since I joined the league, I started playing further back for practice. from the closer tees, I was scoring better since I get to use the scoring irons (7-A) more often. I find that playing on the longer tees, I'm left with 160-200 yards approach most of the time. I've been getting better at the longer irons/hybrids/woods the past 2 months since I had to. LoL. I told myself that I will be playing shorter tees to get confidence but since joining the league, that's not gonna work. I do look forward to playing the shorter tees every once in a while.

how has your hadicap been fluctuating?
we use GAM (Golf Association of Michigan) standards. my 5 rounds are 112, 107, 108, 97, 95. I need to find the course/slope rating for the courses and the yardage so you guys can get an idea on how hard/easy the courses are.

when we played the courses we normally play at last year, which are in my opinion much easier. my scores vary from mid to high 80's to low 90's.

The best I've ever scored was a 92. Recently, I got to the 18th tee box sitting at an 84. It was a par 4 so all I needed was par or bogey to break 90. Well, I made a 6 and ended the round at 90 on the dot! Bummer. Still my best round to date, but bummer I missed shooting in the 80s by one stroke.

If I remember correctly, I shot a 43 on the front 9 and a 47 on the back. I'll get there this year I tell you! Haha. Went out and shot a 94 after that. But I'm getting there.

I feel like I gain an advantage when I play smarter rather than go for it. For example, I tee off with a 3 wood because in most cases it's the difference between fairway or woods. Playing conservative like that makes me feel like I'm being serious about scoring well. If I just go driver all the time I feel like I'm playing like I don't care.

that's what I'm saying. I used to play whatever tees before too but since I joined the league, I started playing further back for practice. from the closer tees, I was scoring better since I get to use the scoring irons (7-A) more often. I find that playing on the longer tees, I'm left with 160-200 yards approach most of the time. I've been getting better at the longer irons/hybrids/woods the past 2 months since I had to. LoL. I told myself that I will be playing shorter tees to get confidence but since joining the league, that's not gonna work. I do look forward to playing the shorter tees every once in a while.

we use GAM (Golf Association of Michigan) standards. my 5 rounds are 112, 107, 108, 97, 95. I need to find the course/slope rating for the courses and the yardage so you guys can get an idea on how hard/easy the courses are.

when we played the courses we normally play at last year, which are in my opinion much easier. my scores vary from mid to high 80's to low 90's.

Switching from the white to the blue tees at my home course makes very little difference except on a couple holes. When I have played from the blues it's made very little difference as a result. I played 9 recently with my son with both of us shooting from the ladies (red) tees and it was quite an eye opener.

The best I've ever scored was a 92. Recently, I got to the 18th tee box sitting at an 84. It was a par 4 so all I needed was par or bogey to break 90. Well, I made a 6 and ended the round at 90 on the dot! Bummer. Still my best round to date, but bummer I missed shooting in the 80s by one stroke.

If I remember correctly, I shot a 43 on the front 9 and a 47 on the back. I'll get there this year I tell you! Haha. Went out and shot a 94 after that. But I'm getting there.

I feel like I gain an advantage when I play smarter rather than go for it. For example, I tee off with a 3 wood because in most cases it's the difference between fairway or woods. Playing conservative like that makes me feel like I'm being serious about scoring well. If I just go driver all the time I feel like I'm playing like I don't care.

If I had a nickle for every time I've done that to myself, I would already have the necessary funds for the 2012 outing.

I kinda feel the opposite.
I feel like the Driver is a club in my bag and very useful tool when used correctly.
How else to learn how to correctly use it other than to continue trying?

I'm starting to come around to the school that a Par 4 under say 375 yds I could go 3h since I can get that to about 215-225yds if I really get after it.
But anything over and pulling the Driver. If I gotta punch out, I'll just get better at punch shots too :laughing:

I kinda feel the opposite.
I feel like the Driver is a club in my bag and very useful tool when used correctly.
How else to learn how to correctly use it other than to continue trying?

I'm starting to come around to the school that a Par 4 under say 375 yds I could go 3h since I can get that to about 215-225yds if I really get after it.
But anything over and pulling the Driver. If I gotta punch out, I'll just get better at punch shots too :laughing:

I kind of agree with both points of view. There are times when I have a grip it and rip it mentality. There are times on the other end of the spectrum as well. What pi$$es me off is when I play it "smart" and end up with a double bogey. Sunday, dogleg right par 5. There is a chance at cutting the corner with driver if you are hitting well and can get the ball up relatively quickly. Most times I go for it, this time, I decided to play it smart, and pulled the 4H out. Hit a perfect shot to the center of the fairway. Next choice is to try and play a long lazy fade around the rest of the corner, or layup to the corner and take the 200 yard dead straight approach. So I lay up and again hit hybrid to the green. Unfortunately I miss right and into some soft sandy-bottomed pine straw. Flubbed chip, second chip on but long. Two putts to get down, and I have a SMART double bogey :banghead:

Just saw this thread... my lowest score is a 94, thru 18. However, I once shot a 42 through only 9..and that was the day of my bachelor party, 2 years ago. I would love to crack 90 this year. Good luck to all!

43+43=86
If I keep this up for another week or so I will switch threads!
Crappy tee shots were challenging me. since I was playing the blue tees(usually a white tee guy), that left me with 4 irons into greens & I was making the shots!!!

Yesterday I shot a 43+42=85. My lowest score to date. And that with an 8 on the first hole. Very happy with the round. Slightly straighter driver, and massively improved short game were the ticket.

how often do you guys go for hero shots? I mean, you have doubt you won't pull off the shot but you do it anyway. I normally try to hit one or two "hero" shots on practice rounds to see if I can pull it off. on league days, I try to be conservative. if I know I'm in trouble, I'll stay away from "hero" shots, like trying hit a shot in between trees, etc. do you guys always keep count on your practice round. I'm thinking one day, I'll just try to have fun and go for everything. LoL
Hero shots are one of my weaknesses! Although yesterday I played smart every time and just got the ball back out to the fairway. I have been playing smart more this year than any other year.

Congrats on breaking 90 Spank! You have improved so much since we played two years ago.

Yesterday I shot a 43+42=85. My lowest score to date. And that with an 8 on the first hole. Very happy with the round. Slightly straighter driver, and massively improved short game were the ticket.

Nice shooting Matt! Imagine if that 8 had been a 4. :D

Congrats on breaking 90 Spank! You have improved so much since we played two years ago.

Thanks buddy. I'm hanging out in this thread for the time being though as it's my goal this year to be in the 90's consistently and go into the 80's every once in a while.

Finally broke 100 for the first time at this local course that has historically eaten my lunch. Shot a 92 and my swing was just so inconsistent. Short game saved me today though. I was a scrambling fool all morning.

Hero shots are one of my weaknesses! Although yesterday I played smart every time and just got the ball back out to the fairway. I have been playing smart more this year than any other year.
during league play, I play smart. but when it's just the boyz playing, I take a few hero shots just coz. haha.

Yesterday went out and fired a "beautiful":at-wits-end: 98. It was just too hot. On Fathers Day, went out and shot 45 on the front and then got to 18 at 37. Yay Yay! Ummm, threw up a snowman on a 375 yard WIDE open par 4. All this =90:angry::banghead:

I had the day off from work today so I took the opportunity to play 36. This is the first time I have ever played 36 holes in a day so I'm pretty happy with the overall outcome. I would be happier if my "front" 18 was a little lower, but...

44 + 45 = 89
42 + 48 = 90

I went into the shop to grab a couple drinks for the final 9 and got caught up chatting with the overly talkative person running the counter, and lost my place on the course. When I went back out, I had to wait an additional 5 minutes before I could tee off, and promptly topped one about 150 yards - right down the center! I had several major blow up holes in the rounds carding two magnificent quads, 2- triples, and 2- doubles. Still, at the end of the day I somehow felt like I played really well. My short game was fantastic. I only had 1 3-putt on the day.

Today was a great day for me! Before today I had never broken 90. Today I shot an 80. I played a whole round much better than I have ever played in my life. Until today I had never played consistently for a whole round. I would usually play well for one 9 and totally blow it on the other 9. I have been playing a little over 2 years and this year I finally took some lessons which are the main reason I have improved. The main thing I made myself do was take each shot and only think about that shot. I also made myself be realistic with my shot selection and play within myself. I am super pumped about meeting my goal of breaking 90! Now I want to shoot in the 80s consistently.

Yesterday went out and fired a "beautiful":at-wits-end: 98. It was just too hot. On Fathers Day, went out and shot 45 on the front and then got to 18 at 37. Yay Yay! Ummm, threw up a snowman on a 375 yard WIDE open par 4. All this =90:angry::banghead:

Bummer dude. But this is why I don't add up the score until the last ball drops. It's never benefitted me to know I have to get "X" on the last hole to shoot a certain score.

I've always wondered how I would score without any woods, whatsoever, in my bag. (Although I am very accurate with my 3W...but still!)

I've always wondered how I would score without any woods, whatsoever, in my bag. (Although I am very accurate with my 3W...but still!)

I typically play my home course, now, with driver on only 1 or 2 holes. My scores have dropped tremendously. I am so inconsistent with the driver and I can/do consistently do 190- 210 with my 4 iron. 225 & up with my 2 iron. I still have a long shot at the reachable par 5's with an iron, though prudent play says "do not".
Only my ego stands between me & the 70's!

Back