Trying To Break 90 Club

SeeMoreGuy

They Make 'em. I Buy 'em.
Reaction score
After trading threads with Sunday Hacker I thought there might be other THP'ers who are in the same boat trying to shoot a sub 90 round of golf. Although many on this site are already very accomplished golfers, there are a few of us on the brink of breaking through to the next plateau. If you have set this as your goal please join in and share your moments of greatness and your tales of woe; especially if you are so close it hurts, as is my case. We can encourage each other because WE WILL MAKE IT!!!

good stuff seemore guy! heres hoping we both get there very soon!

Good luck SMG. I am rooting for you.

I fully support the break 90 club. For those that are close it's most likely a couple better chip shots away. Eliminate those types of little screw ups and the 90 barrier will be broken.

Kevin

Great thread idea! I support this!

I have shot 91 twice on two different courses (only at a length of ~6600-6700), but BOTH times, I had a 10 on a par 5. Yep... one blow-up hole away...

The 90 I shot at Pelican Point in FL was my closest this year to breaking 90! How I did that I have no idea. But Im in the club too.

Yay a club I am a member of :) I have shot a 96 and a 94. Tomorrow, if I can get my swing back, I will make another attempt or two. If I could get more accurate on the par 3's, and not try to go for every par 5 in two, I could do it.

Re: Trying To Break 90 Club

I am in the club. Playing in the GA outing, I had to par the last hole to break 90, but I screwed it up and shot a 92. I really want to break 90 before I hit the one year mark.

Re: Trying To Break 90 Club

Awesome idea. Im in if you dont mind!

I was in the club up until a few weeks ago. A couple rounds before I finally broke 90 I shot a 40/51 and the blow up back nine was because all I could think about was breaking 90 for the first time. I decided after that I wasn't going to add up my scores until the round was over. The next round was bad, 101 but my back was really bothering me on a cold and windy day. Then it happened a couple of days later, I knew I was having a good round but stuck to my plan and just played golf instead of thinking about the score, in the end it was an 86. This was from whites, 6200 yards and a slope of 121, I'll never hit the ball far enough to play blue. Funny part was after the 86 round I immediately started thinking about the 7 shots I needed to break 80 haha.

Good luck guys!

I'm in the club as well... I've been playing occasionally for a few years, but that was just casual play with a cheap beginner set.
This year I have new sticks, and I'm much more committed to practice, etc.
I haven't even played a full 18 yet this year, but several 9-hole rounds have been averaging a score of 42-45, so you would think 90 is realistic for the near future.

Thought I would share today's success and tales of woe. I got up early to head to golf course for a 7:30 am tee off. Last night as we were sending messages to each other in this thread I was forumlating my plan to conquer this 90's goal. Well I put my plan in effect on the very first tee and throughout that hole and ended up with a par 5. This gave me some confidence, so I used it on the second and made bogey, the third another par and so on. I was staying patient and hitting good shots into the fairway, approach shots were going great and the putter was working. My confidence was at it highest ever. I had a couple of errant shots but was able to scramble when needed and my chipping was spot on. Made the turn and added up the scores and I had shot an (unbelievale for me) 42 on the front nine. I was just beaming that the game plan I came with actually worked.

Then came the back nine. It started off with Par 5 and Par 3 holes and I parred both; still following the game plan from the front nine. It was on hole 12 that something came into play that I had not expected; my nerves, because I started thinking maybe today is the day? At that point I had two bad holes ( a bogey and a double). I then stopped looking at my score card because I was becoming more focused on "what do I need to make on this hole" rather than executing good shots. I calmed down and had a couple of good holes. Then, another obstacle was thrown into the mix. The wind started kicking up something fierce. I had not expected this at all. I mean it was gusting upwards of 25 miles per hour or more and blowing sand off the greens (that had been recently sanded) so it was blowing significalntly hard. So of course, thoughts started creeping into my head, but i refused add any scores up until the end. After each hole I simply marked my score on the card and put a blank card over it so I would not be tempted to look.

As the round continued I got back to focusing on hitting good shots and playing the ball lower to take as much wind out as possible. I will tell you this, that each hole I could myself getting a little more nervous and anxious to finish the hole and the round. It is true that you do get more nervous when each golf shot is critical to your goal. I guess I never experienced it at this level because I usually just went out without a game plan. Well I finally finished and went back to the cart to add up the score and I had shot a 47 on the back which made me nearly wet my pants. I was so shocked. Shocked that I had reached a goal I set and had to overcome some obstacles I had not factored into the round to do it. It was a great feeling to reach that plateau.

Of course as golfers we look at the score card and start wondering "well, what if the wind hadnt affected play, what could the score have been" Yeah, I thought about that for a moment, but I just told myself that it didnt and you had to play the course as it was. Today I won, tomorrow it may get me back...that is just how golf is and you take it as it comes. I vowed not to pressure myself on the next round to beat the 89, and just enjoy the moment. I know I won't instantly begin shooting sub 90 rounds every time, but what I discovered is setting a game plan, remaining focused on at each shot and sticking to the plan pays huge dividends. That lesson will probably help my game immensely in the future and is probably just as important to my confidence as shooting the 89.

At the end of the round the groundskeepers were working on extractng a couple trees because the wind had brought them dow. That is how hard it was blowing during the back nine. Thank goodness the wind was almost non-existent on the front nine.

I appreciate the encourgement I received from everyone and just thought I would share this "great moment in golf history"with everyone. :act-up:

Cheers,

SeeMoreGuy
"SMG"

That is awesome, congrats SMG. That is a great feeling and I know you work hard at it.

thats awesome SMG! congrats on the 89 and battling mother nature along the way!

Great stories. I am in the club as well! Got close a few times but no cigar. Just like one of the earlier stories, I came really close yesterday, but I couldn't do much on the 18th hole. I guess the good news is summer's not even here yet, and there's plenty of golf left. Oh, Golf gods...let me have the summer of my life. I'm just glad that breaking 90 is a real, deal possibility. Seemed like breaking 100 was such an old school goal. lol.

seemore ... can i ask you ... how often do you play? every week, twice a week ... few times a month ... do you regularly do practice/range sessions? not that any of this is or isn't necessary to accomplishing your goals ... just curious ...

a friend of mine has always shot in the low 90s ... sometimes 80s ... but last year and this year he joined a league and began playing regularly and now he's consistently shooting in the low 80s ... no lessons ... no new clubs ... nothing new ... just more playing ...

i imagine you'll be very excited because once he started shooting 80s he went from the type of person who likes playing and plays here and there ... to it now being one of his most favorite hobbies if not the most ...

Your stay in this club was short-lived!

But GRATS! Now to work on the consistency to stay below 90... :clapp:

heres a "cold one" to hold you over till I see you again at the next outing! congrats again my man!

pour-cold-frosty-beer-800X800.jpg

Freakin sweeeeeet Keith!! Since I control your scores lol, this next round I want an 84, thats only 5 strokes. We gotta take baby steps lol. good job man!

SMG! If I could give you a great big hug and a great BIG rootbeer right now dude I would do it!!!!! I am soooooo proud of you... Calloway and myself were talking about how well you were progressing and it would not be long before Keith er SMG would be knocking those scores down. You da man! You got the great personality and the game to go with it! I look forward to playing with you again soon. hmmmmmm let's see you will probaly have to spot me two or three strokes per side now you Houng Dog :bananadance:

Congrats on your awesome round SeeMoreGuy!!! I am in the 90's club as well, but it is coming around so hopefully this year I will bet to join you in the breaking 80's club.

I own a member card to the 90's club too.

Congrats SMG on your 89!

Congrats SMG on breaking 90!

Thanks! For those who dont know, OEM Kevin had wished me well last night and said go shoot an 89. Well, you know us hackers and how e think..."what if he had just said 82, who knows what would have happened" I guess check in with him to see what my score will be before my next round. I owe him his beverage of choice since he called it.

Great job SMG! Sounds like you had a blast gettin'er done.

Back