Trying To Break 90 Club

Tuesdays round was a 91, 44-47.

Front 9 felt really good and hit some great drives that were mid fairway, yet did not have as much distance. Hit 4 of 7 fairways on the front. Had just rained overnight and in the morning so course was wet and was cart path only. When I did have a miss right, was able to recover pretty well with my hybrids.

Back 9 was a bit of the same, with one less fairway hit, but the misses to the right that I have been experiencing weren't too far to go out of bounds thankfully. Recovery with 3 wood has been solid.

Chipping and putting have been saving me strokes lately. With the Cobra MIM wedges, just very confident with them and getting the ball up on the green and closer to the hole. 36 putts on the day with only one 3 putt.

Arccos handicap stats beginning to showed more consistency across the bag. I usually have one or two categories in high 20's or 30+ 2C41E1DB-FA77-4423-B407-BE194D186BD4.jpeg

Well, today was not the best day. I usually score mid 90s, but today shot well over 100. I don't like doing this, but the course did not help. The fairways and greens were recently aerated. When I say aerated, I mean AERATED. The holes in the ground were enough for the ball to rest in. But, I should've made better shots. As this is my second round this season, I was happy to just be on the course again. Can't wait to get back on the course.

Well, today was not the best day. I usually score mid 90s, but today shot well over 100. I don't like doing this, but the course did not help. The fairways and greens were recently aerated. When I say aerated, I mean AERATED. The holes in the ground were enough for the ball to rest in. But, I should've made better shots. As this is my second round this season, I was happy to just be on the course again. Can't wait to get back on the course.

When this happens usually courses have guidelines like lift and place, or roll the ball with your club. That's how I have handled any course aeration or reseeding.

47+43 = 90. And it felt a lot worse than that, I was surprised it was only a 90. Beautiful day, terrible golf.

Hey everyone! I’m wandering over from the “trying to break 100” thread. My last three rounds were 93/93/90, so I think I belong over here now. Hopefully I get my first sub-90 round before the end of 2020!

Hey everyone! I’m wandering over from the “trying to break 100” thread. My last three rounds were 93/93/90, so I think I belong over here now. Hopefully I get my first sub-90 round before the end of 2020!

Sounds like you're definitely ready to graduate, @BigDill! Congrats and get ready to start posting in the Trying to Break 85 thread soon!

My game is looking up! I shot my first 9-hole round under 50 this year. On Monday my league played in 39 degree weather (I had paid for the year up front, and lost out on 4-6 weeks already, so my take was - "I'm playing regardless"). I ended up shooting 43 with 17 putts and 3 pars. And that included 3 drives of 50 yards or less lol! It took me a few weeks to relax and stop trying to kill the ball by swinging 150%. Other than those 3 horrific tee shots, the ball generally went where I was aiming, with no penalties this time.

Wedge play on 110 yards and in was much better too. I left 4 long putts that stopped 2-3 inches short of dropping in dead-center, so I felt like my score could have been even lower. Looking forward to getting back out.

Wednesday round Shot 95, 45-50

Back 9 was a struggle and last hole was a dumpster fire going 4 over on the hole. Was playing army golf after a horrible tee shot that dribbled for 150 yards after topping the ball. Then chipped across the green on approach and skulled ball back over trying to get on the green :ROFLMAO:

Driver on the day was very slice heavy. Not enough to be out of bounds fortunately, but keeps getting me into trouble.

C778475D-F2E1-4009-B30C-29188565BAA8.jpeg

Last edited:
Another round in today and shot a bit better with a 92, 48-44.

Driving was much better, most shots just off fairway but had good distance.

Couple of blowup holes today, first one was on 3rd hole losing 2 balls into water. Second was on 11 after a drive that was just off fairway with a few trees 20 yards or so in distance. 3 wood struck really well, but the ball gravitated to center of one of said trees and ball careened off at a 90 degree angle to the other side of fairway :ROFLMAO::LOL:

Did have some great holes making 5 pars. Favorite hole of the day on this par 4. Drive was about a yard off fairway, 5 iron that was a low stinger with a slight fade and landed right on the green.

42D08319-7914-4408-B19A-DDF1D42D7247.jpeg

Never could get anything going. Absolutely frustrated with my chipping today as well. Felt like I could not trust any shot. And this was my first ever men’s league event at my club (80% of handicap to be applied by league pres).

1284D100-4309-4DC5-AA54-B9D4254EC78C.jpeg

Played Trump National Silver Fox this am and got back into the 80’s again today with an 84 (44/40). Started double, double but had two birdies on the back nine one of which was almost my first hole in one (inch and a half from going in). Looking forward to getting out again ASAP.

I have attempted to come back to golf 3 times in the past 10 years but gave it up out of frustration, and a lot of ego. I was a single digit player for about 27 years until I had my right eye lose coordination with the left. I had no depth perception at all, so I gave it up again about 2 1/2 years ago (again) and gave everything away. I finally found an eye doctor at the (Portsmouth Navy Hospital)) who had the patience and dedication to eventually diagnose my problem after every civilian eye doctor blew me off. He diagnosed me with Strabismus. He said that my right eye went out of alignment from the left by about 10 degrees and the cause is unknown. The doc has me practicing left eye dominance when I am up close to things and it's slowly working out. It's not perfect, but it's close enough to let the body's muscles react to what I am seeing.

I expect to be in the 90's with the rest of you for a while........ and sharing all of our war stories. ;)
I've had non-binocular vision my entire life. I get where you are coming from.

My game is looking up! I shot my first 9-hole round under 50 this year. On Monday my league played in 39 degree weather (I had paid for the year up front, and lost out on 4-6 weeks already, so my take was - "I'm playing regardless"). I ended up shooting 43 with 17 putts and 3 pars. And that included 3 drives of 50 yards or less lol! It took me a few weeks to relax and stop trying to kill the ball by swinging 150%. Other than those 3 horrific tee shots, the ball generally went where I was aiming, with no penalties this time.

Wedge play on 110 yards and in was much better too. I left 4 long putts that stopped 2-3 inches short of dropping in dead-center, so I felt like my score could have been even lower. Looking forward to getting back out.
Nicely done!

Well played Jeff.

43/44 = 87. Postcard beautiful day, mid-70s, sunny and calm as could be. We played as a fivesome and finished in 3:34.

Looking forward to tomorrow. Could
be a sub 90 round. Weather should be good, and hopefully..... the Gods will be shining on me

Looking forward to tomorrow. Could
be a sub 90 round. Weather should be good, and hopefully..... the Gods will be shining on me
Go get it, it's waiting for you! (y)

42/42 = 84. We started on the back 9 because there were 4 groups lined up at the first tee, it was packed today. Back 9 was wide open and fast, but then after we made the turn and came to the front 9, it was agonizingly slow. The foursome in front of us had two guys playing from the tips (who didn't belong there) and the other two playing from the blues (who also didn't belong there). They were the guys who would drive to one ball, sit there and wait for the green to clear from 270 yards out, then get out of the cart and pick their club - then after the one guy hit (and of course came nowhere near the green!), they'd drive 10 yards to the other guy's ball - who could have (and should have) walked his lazy azz over there and already been ready to hit instead. Wouldn't have done any good to play through them because the course was so full, so we just put it in chill mode. No sense getting all aggro on a beautiful, sunny 85° day on the course with good friends!

42/42 = 84. We started on the back 9 because there were 4 groups lined up at the first tee, it was packed today. Back 9 was wide open and fast, but then after we made the turn and came to the front 9, it was agonizingly slow. The foursome in front of us had two guys playing from the tips (who didn't belong there) and the other two playing from the blues (who also didn't belong there). They were the guys who would drive to one ball, sit there and wait for the green to clear from 270 yards out, then get out of the cart and pick their club - then after the one guy hit (and of course came nowhere near the green!), they'd drive 10 yards to the other guy's ball - who could have (and should have) walked his lazy azz over there and already been ready to hit instead. Wouldn't have done any good to play through them because the course was so full, so we just put it in chill mode. No sense getting all aggro on a beautiful, sunny 85° day on the course with good friends!
Your attitude is inspiring, I’ve lost patience more than I care to admit. Excellent round.

Below is a screen shot of the par 5 seventh on my last round. I duffed every shot on every hole until I hit my 7i approach on this hole, then remembered how to play. 6 one putts, and 11 two putts saved my round. I guess putting is the reason I can play so bad and still score 90.

5C2CADDA-F702-4B40-B20F-8513CDFB1CE4.png

47/48 for me yesterday. Was going really well on front 9 until I hit 8&9 with both being absolute blow up holes. Had pars on a few holes leading up to hem so was feeling pretty good.

Highlight hole of the day, drove to just short of the green, chip and 2 putt for par.

9EDAABA0-FA1A-4296-B488-5961F7084AB1.jpeg

Another good one for the day even though drive was right, great 9 iron shot GIR saved me.

F93EB264-DB5B-4294-94A8-899A42609C2E.jpeg

Your attitude is inspiring, I’ve lost patience more than I care to admit. Excellent round.

Below is a screen shot of the par 5 seventh on my last round. I duffed every shot on every hole until I hit my 7i approach on this hole, then remembered how to play. 6 one putts, and 11 two putts saved my round. I guess putting is the reason I can play so bad and still score 90.

View attachment 8945244
Have had many holes just like that with duffed shots, but I usually don't make par on them :ROFLMAO:

Have had many holes just like that with duffed shots, but I usually don't make par on them :ROFLMAO:
I saved my bacon a few times yesterday by semi-miraculously overcoming bad shots. Par 5 - hit a good drive, shanked my second shot, took an unplayable penalty from the bushes, hit the next shot (#4) onto the green, and sunk a 12-foot putt for par. Had several others that I limited the damage to bogey when they could have been real blowup holes.

Back