Trying To Break 90 Club

On a whim I decided to play 9 after dinner. Went straight to the first tee, no warm up. (dumb, I know) Par 4 dogleg 90 degrees left, turn starts at 180. I can sometimes draw my 5fw around the corner a bit. Not today, Off the toe 140 to the far right side of the fairway, no view of the green. In keeping with "leave your bad decisions for the golf course" I decide to hit the 5fw again. Hooked it left into the hazard. Drop and hit #4, pushed it to the next fairway. (stupid whim) rushed #5 over the green, chip on and 1 putt to save my triple.
I'm thinking this was not a good Idea. OK regroup, settle and play. Nice drive down the middle, good 3w just 50 yards out on par 5. Chip, 2 putt - par.
#4 slice drive into the woods, punch out, 50 degree wedge to the green. Tap in par. #5 nemesis par 5. Tee shot long but left, 1st cut of rough, 7fw perfection to the apron. Pitch, putt...birdie. Bogey on 6,7 and 8 and a double on the par 3 9th. 44 for 9 holes with two less than stellar holes, I'll take it. Now if only I can repeat it.

Played my usual course today, found out as I was starting that the back 9 was closed due to work taking place on multiple holes. So, played front 9 twice today.

First 9 shot a 43! Birdie on 6th hole par 5 with chip in from 25 yards out, to go along with 3 pars. Picture below is my chip in for birdie 👊

Second 9 shot 45. 3 pars and a last blow up hole with triple as I was so exhausted. Was hot out and very humid. Walked the course today and, honestly, might be the last time for the summer. I can't imagine when it's 100 out as soon as sun comes up. Loving these Cobra Speedzone clubs.

Need to get driver dialed in still, lesson scheduled tomorrow to begin getting that sorted out.

B8ED5B62-B6D8-4A39-88AA-689C00AEDE5C.jpeg

Came close yesterday 46/46. I had my usual duffed shots, lost two balls but also had 8 one putts. Talk about an uneven game, I’m not complaining but It doesn’t make sense that I could be so good at one part of the game and so terrible at the rest.

View attachment 8948007
Those kind of stats look identical to some of my rounds in Arccos :ROFLMAO:

4FCDDB4D-9497-41AF-B017-26102E6B210A.jpeg

Last edited:
Shot a 96 on Saturday. There weren't any revelations on the course or incredible shots, just a mundane "Drive it (a short distance) into the fairway, hit it towards the green, chip on and two putt." Sadly, I took two 8s, which could have helped greatly. (Disclaimer: I don't strictly adhere to the RoG, so take that for what it's worth.)

44/43 for an 87. First time under 90 since returning to golf about a month ago after a 6 year hiatus.

Played a course other than my home course for the first time this season. It was a shorter and less challenging course other than a lot of uneven lies. I typically hit my irons well and struggle getting off the tee. Today I was alright off the tee (not a lot of fairways but the kept the ball in play). I really struggled from inside 130 yards, just chunked more shots with my short irons than I am used to. My putting absolutely saved me today. Zero 3 putts and only 35 for the round.

Looking forward to trying to break 90 on my home course sometime next week.
Ingleside Round 87.png

43/45 for an 88 today, shot an even 90 on Wednesday. Still bouncing up and down around the 90 line, it all depends on which 'me' shows up that day!

47/42 for an 89 yesterday. Now just have to continue the progression.

First time in years I haven’t shown up in time to hit the range and putt before a round. REALLY could have used that the first several holes! After going 8 over through 4 (1 OB and 1 water hazard), things started to click. Nothing flashy and just seemed to minimize mistakes instead of letting them compound.

Putting left lots to be desired but from 100 in was exponentially better than typical.

Here hoping I can continue to build off of this one. I just will have to remind myself that this isn’t going to take the heroic shots.

First sub 90 of the year of Friday. Shot 41-45... Really drove the ball well. 11-11 everything well hit and in play. Two layups, one went well though I did get a lucky bounce off a tree on the 2nd shot. 2nd tee shot layup on a par 5, I hooked left into the woods. On the 5 par 3's I didnt hit any great shots but was generally around the greens. Short game was a little rough and I left a few putts short but made a few others. All in all it was a big jump from the 93-94's I'd been scoring.

🤓:thp::cobra:

Played yesterday at Southern Dunes. Very long course for me sitting at 6500 yards from the mens tees. Played bogey golf on the front with a 45, and derailed a bit on the back with a 51. Overall the difficulty of the course had me nervous but I settled down and did not post a triple digit score. Also hit 13/14 fairways, and 1.89 putts per hole.

51/41 yesterday, I couldn’t have played any better on the back. If I could get off my lazy a$$ and hit a half bucket before the round who knows......

I've got some serious back up lights going on with my game. I have not had the amount of practice swings that I should and it's showing. I've always been erratic and it's amplifying right now. My round sunday was especially frustrating. Playing a difficult and long course, I expect to struggle. But the level of crap swings and flub/duff were just way to high. To make the frustration worse, a lot of my good swings were overly punished for being slightly off line and plan too long!

After playing a full 18 on the same ball on saturday, I lost a ball on the first hole, and 7-9 on the day sunday. Time to kick myself in the butt and just go have fun this weekend for my first league match.

I've got some serious back up lights going on with my game. I have not had the amount of practice swings that I should and it's showing. I've always been erratic and it's amplifying right now. My round sunday was especially frustrating. Playing a difficult and long course, I expect to struggle. But the level of crap swings and flub/duff were just way to high. To make the frustration worse, a lot of my good swings were overly punished for being slightly off line and plan too long!

After playing a full 18 on the same ball on saturday, I lost a ball on the first hole, and 7-9 on the day sunday. Time to kick myself in the butt and just go have fun this weekend for my first league match.

You got it bro, I felt bad because I have been there and its just so mental. I was a 15 handicap two years ago heading into my league 2 day championship. I then recorded a 110, and 108 and I am just now getting my groove back. Those two games messed up my head pretty bad, 3 bag rotations later and maybe I can see some light.

So........dont change your bag 3x. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: And remember what Mark and Sean said.......slowwwwwww it down.

You got it bro, I felt bad because I have been there and its just so mental. I was a 15 handicap two years ago heading into my league 2 day championship. I then recorded a 110, and 108 and I am just now getting my groove back. Those two games messed up my head pretty bad, 3 bag rotations later and maybe I can see some light.

So........dont change your bag 3x. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: And remember what Mark and Sean said.......slowwwwwww it down.

Would you like to know the thought for the day I was going over with myself on the drive to the course. slow back swing and easy tempo. I am painfully aware of how good that advice is/was.

42/47 for an 89 today. Had a nice front, +5 with two birdies and it was just feeling smooth and easy. Hit 4/6 fairways and 4/9 GIR. Par on 10, bogey on 11, so I was +6 after 11. On the tee at hole 12, it was like somebody flipped a switch and a completely different golfer took my place. I proceeded to go +11 over the next 7 holes, hit 1 fairway and no GIR.

Switched up my clubs, was gaming Apex CF16s and moved to Cobra F8 OL. Was not planing to switch, but was looking at Arccos, it's was 180 plus tax, and I could get the F8s for 120 more with free shipping. I have never even considered them, was not even looking for clubs, but have to admit this is one of the best golf purchases I have ever made. The OL really set up well for me, I could always hit my 7i fairly well so the transition was fairly simple. I took them to the range last week not really expecting to game them so soon, but I hit everything real solid. After my 96 on Saturday I was pumped to get back out and do it again, and carded my lowest round ever today with an 80. My iron play is my weakest link, and I know I can consistently be in the mid 80s if I could get them going. Today was a perfect example of how I know how low I can score. Granted I made some amazing putts that helped, but my irons put me into position to play my strengths which is putting. I did not even realize on the last hole I had a six foot putt to break 80, missed it by less than an inch. Last hole was a bogey with a 2 putt.

Attachments

• 20200616_180748.jpg
    20200616_180748.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 9
Not that great of a 9, but I put some mechanics work in recently, so I expect a learning curve. My driver today was outstanding, but struggled with some irons and chipping. I did go back to my Odyssey Toulon Palm Beach, and other than one 3-putt, felt incredibly stable with it. The TT TenS is going to have it’s work cut out whenever it is delivered.
I have my first (ever!) men’s league game next week, and next Sunday participate in my first ever match play event, so I know exactly what I want to practice this week.

62DD181C-EE65-4462-AF13-8D000E703804.jpeg

42/42 = 84 today. Felt good. One of those rare days when every aspect of the game was working at least halfway decently. Last 4 rounds have been 89, 89, 90 and 84, so at least I've been staying at or below 90 consistently for the last week.

I thought yesterday was going to be the day, I felt good, and the course was not crowded. I started with a par, doubled number 2 with a bad chip, then settled into a string of bogies and pars. I was cruising along until 10 when a single caught up with us, every time I looked back this dude was Standing 50 yds behind with his hands on his hips, I know I shouldn’t let it bother me but I blew up three holes in a row. There was no space ahead but we let him pass anyway, felt bad for the twosome in front who had to deal with the same thing. Lost balls and blow ups put me at 92.

I have broken 90 twice and even once had an 82. I kind of hover a tad in mid 90s. What grinds me is that my last few rounds have been inching up some - more in the mid to high 90s range. I know I can play much better golf and some days you just don't understand why the stupid stuff happens.

Played my best round of the year yesterday with an 86 (42/44) on Father's day with my pops, brother, cousin and uncle. Hoping to keep the strong momentum going :p

Played in the inagural AZ THP golf league event. Second time playing the spectacular Sewailo. Front nine was a bit up and down, and a complete blowup on hole nine to finish the front with a 52. Back nine plays harder but I was determined to shoot a 47 or better, ended up with a 44. I had a few errant tee shots, but also some spectacular ones. My irons are getting more and more fine tuned. Two bad tee shots with a PW and 9i, and one 6i shank into the water on 9. But otherwise everything was fairly straight and true. Hit a lot of bunkers, but I was 100% out of the sand every time I got in one.

Played in the inagural AZ THP golf league event. Second time playing the spectacular Sewailo. Front nine was a bit up and down, and a complete blowup on hole nine to finish the front with a 52. Back nine plays harder but I was determined to shoot a 47 or better, ended up with a 44. I had a few errant tee shots, but also some spectacular ones. My irons are getting more and more fine tuned. Two bad tee shots with a PW and 9i, and one 6i shank into the water on 9. But otherwise everything was fairly straight and true. Hit a lot of bunkers, but I was 100% out of the sand every time I got in one.
Bunkers at Sewailo are certainly hard to avoid!

Back