Trying To Break 90 Club

Two of the par 3s were playing a little shorter today with the tees moved up about 12 yards. Being able to go down a club certainly helped.
Still had to play it and putt. Sometimes the shorter holes are tougher.

86 today. Hope I can stay under 90 for a while this time. Of course, I realize this is golf and can be a roller coaster ride at times.

93 today has me back in the break 90 club rather than the break 80. Really need to work on my blow up holes. I struck the ball really well today, but a combination of bad decisions, lack of focus, and short game issues plagued me throughout the round. After posting one of my first six rounds above 90, I’ve now posted three of my last four over 90. Time to get back in the game.

When you card 4 3's in a round and par a few par 5's it makes breaking 90 much easier. It was discussed a while ago in this tread but improvement on Par 3's is crucial to consistently breaking 90. Well done
Par 3s have been my nemesis lately. I can hit an iron for an approach shot just fine, but put me on the tee box of a par 3 and they're all over the place! Absolutely agonizing.

I shot a 90 the other day, my best round so far and was very happy with my play. I've had a lot of low 90's but this was my best. Shot a 43 on the front with an 8 on the card, and a 47 on the back with an 8 and a 7 on the card. Wish I could get those 3 holes back. Next time!!

94 yesterday. 12/14 fairways hit. Approach shots were short. 2/2 out of the sand, including one sandy. Too many doubles. No triples or complete blow up holes.

48/44 for 92 today. Fairly good round considering a tough course and it was humid and sweating like crazy. Had several really nice drives with one that hit 264 uphill. Iron game was really strong today with no topped shots at all. Had about 134 to the green on one hole and went with a 9 iron instead of my wedge and it went about 150 yards and went into the woods behind the green no where to be found. My buddy said, "That one's gone!"

I fully support the break 90 club. For those that are close it's most likely a couple better chip shots away. Eliminate those types of little screw ups and the 90 barrier will be broken.

Kevin

better chip shots or long putts. It’s the three putts or more holes that really kill me. I don’t need to make it but getting it consistently close would help immensely.

That said, if my approach or chip shots were better, you could argue I may not be placing myself in that position to begin with.

Still keeping it below 90 with an 88 today. 30 putts with no 3 putts, so at least that part of the game was halfway decent. Driver got me in trouble and cost me a couple penalty strokes - most of my misses were close to the fairway and playable, but the few that weren’t were baaaad.

ok so a horrible first half (or third) so far a season shooting basically high 90's and even 100 or more on too may occasions (playing like a 20 capper) and only with a better round was i like maybe 92-ish. I only had one 90. Its been a disaster. And even last year did I struggle mightily to shoot sub 90 but only so many times. In fact it been about 3 years now since i was able to shoot a goof percentage rounds sub 90.

But today was my 3rd round in a row sub 90. Last week an 87, then yesterday another 87, and today a 89.

Yesterday was great because it was the only course among my 5 minus that I never broke 90 on till yesterday.

Today began as a disaster by opening with a quad (or plus4) on the 1st hole par5 for a 9.
I couldn't strike a ball and hacked my way from tee to green. It continued and went bogey, double, double and end up sitting plus 9 after only 4 freaking holes and having troubles striking irons.

On 4th hole (par5) I choose a 6iron layup instead of 5w due to risk but send my safer choice 6i in to the water anyway (what a waste of good management).
Im thinking to myself ......."well, god forbid I manage 3 in a row" ..."I cant hiot an iron today"....
I mean not much a chance at braking 90 when sitting plus 9 after only 4 holes and iron striking is just non existent.
There simply just too much damage and isnt much room left over at all for much error on the remaining 14 holes top play.

And so On 5 (par3) playing 175 I hit a poor 6i that i blade low and but get lucky and ends upo on geeen and i 2 putt for par. Then par the next 2 and settled in. But still sub 90 going to require some work and no more blowups. I mean just one more blow up and its over. But I never do blow up and especially the back 9 played well. Then sitting +17 on 16 with 3 to play I pared the last 3 holes to stay at 17 over for the 89.

Didnt think that was gonna happen especially after that start but it did.

Now Im hoping for a 4th next time out.

was so close today...so close.

Not sure I've ever been more frustrated with my game. I played twice this past weekend (a rarity for me). Shot a 95 on Saturday with 6 pars (also a rarity for me). Determined to eliminate "the big numbers" I went back out Sunday.........

Shot a 90 with 9 FREAKING PARS! I know that I should emphasize my focus on the 9 pars (definitely a PB) but it's just heartbreaking to shoot that many holes at par and STILL not break 90. I'm at a freaking loss right now. :(
hey.....honest truth......how about 6 pars and 2 birds.
And still shot a 103.

Thats right a 103...gods honest truth. 6pars, 2birds and still a 103...You cant make it up.

How about +2 after 8 and then go 14 over through next 4 holes and sitting at 16 over after 12?

How about going par, triple, par, triple. par, triple through first 6 holes?

I can keep going.....all true scoring (and many more like it) by me.:confused2:

I fully support the break 90 club. For those that are close it's most likely a couple better chip shots away. Eliminate those types of little screw ups and the 90 barrier will be broken.

Kevin
Possibly true for a given round here and there. But this isnt the break 85 or break 80 thread.
In the break 90 thread what you say may be true but is very likely also something that (at this level) can be said about tee and approach game as well. There is never anything 100% definite in golf and always outliers, anomalies, and many variables for everyone. But many (in fact majority) players shooting between 90 and 100 are also mossing too many strokes off tees and with approach attempts.

Amung my 3 sub 90 rounds I just posted about has been all about ball striking, being less penal and less costly off the tees and with irons. Short game was extremely similar during these rounds. In fact the general ball striking is what has (most the time) been costing me from shooting sub 90.

Now that my ball striking seems to be settling in with a bit less failures and blowups I can get back to placing some more efforts to improving chipping and pitching and maybe i can once again stay in the 80 majority of the times.

But point being thiose couple or so shots can just as easily blamed from any parts ones 90+ game.
Someone too often struggling from tees? Thers two or 3 strokes (and maybe more) ]
Struggling with approach shots (or irons striking)? Theres another few strokes too.
Certainly it could be also and does come from poor chips and pitches too.

But couple to few strokes? and difference between 91 and 88? at this level can be saved probably from just about anywhere.

Last edited:
Consistently have broken 90 3 rounds in a row with an 86, 84, and 88! Might be time to move threads soon - playing much more consistent golf and the work is paying off 🤙🏽

Walked up to the last hole yesterday not knowing I only needed a bogie to break 90, which is rare for me, how about an 8? a 4 putt! what?

At the time I laughed it off, no big deal, had a good day, but I wasn't laughing after I counted my score, would have taken that last hole a lot more seriously had I known.

Last edited:
86-47/39 today. Hope I can continue the trend and even get it lower. Driver game was off today so that did not help.

I'll spare you the tedium of my golf journey over the past 3 years, but Friday I shot an 89 on my home course of Greensboro National breaking 90 for the first time ever there. I know for most of you studs that's a terrible day, but I had a great outing and could've easily scored lower had I hit 3 or 4 shorter putts. The key to my improving game has been finally figuring out how to consistently get drives out there (I'm an older golfer, and prior to this year struggled even to get one out there 200 yds, something I'm routinely exceeding now). I also finally decided to put away the hybrids which I've struggled to consistently hit well, and commit to a 3 and 5 wood. I basically have adopted my driver swing with those clubs and have got them going now. Being able to hit a decent drive and then having the ability to put a 2nd shot 180-190 yds out there is giving me the chance to be on the green on Par 4's in regulation, or close to it. I've got a good chipping/putting game and for the first time in forever, feel like I can golf decently. I birdied the final hole on Friday to beat my buddy by a stroke which made it even more fun. Can't wait to see how much more consistently I can make my game this season and going forward.

Been playing more golf lately. Played another round this morning before it got too hot. A little better. A 94. 48/46. Still driving well. Hit another 9 fairways. A couple of the misses weren't that far off. Still had a decent lie and look at the green. Two were pretty bad. A snap hook on #5. The shortest par 4 at 320 yards. Yet, I still parred the hole. Had a gap between the trees. Around 100 yards. Hit a beauty with the wedge between the trees and had less than 15 feet for birdie. Two putt par.

My game seems to be changing. I'm not hitting as many triples as before. Only one today. Which is good. But I'm making less pars. Only two today. Which is not good. A lot of bogeys. I've been real consistent on the back nine not having breakdown holes. But I just can't seem to hit a green in regulation. After double bogeying hole 10, I had 8 straight bogeys. 7 of those were two putt bogeys. One was a one putt. If I can just get a few more pars to offset the doubles I feel I could reach that elusive 80's club.

I did have a different approach today. I have to remind myself that I'm a high handicapper. Bad shots are going to happen. Don't change your swing after a bad shot. Just focus on hitting it better the next time. On the one putt bogey during the back nine I skulled a chip on my 2nd shot on a par 3. Went over the green. Before I would be so frustrated thinking its gonna happen again I would just punch it on the green and settle for a very long putt. This time, I told myself "Just focus on hitting your aim point. You can't give in. You have to make it work". Sure enough, I hit the best chip of the day. One putted for bogey.

I think if I can just get my head straight, I can do better. Stop pressuring myself. I'm a high handicapper. Don't worry about the bad shots and enjoy the good ones. It seemed a little better today. Gave me some hope. Before, when things fell apart they really fell apart.

I am playing the best I ever have lately, and feel like I am knocking on the door of my first ever sub-90 round. My last 8 rounds are 93, 93, 90, 94, 95, 96, 92, 91. Handicap is dropping and I am eager to continue to play more golf!

Last edited:
I am playing the best I ever have lately, and feel like I am knocking on the door of my first ever sub-90 round. My last 8 rounds are 93, 93, 90, 94, 95, 96, 92, 91. Handicap is dropping and I am eager to continue to play more golf!
that is darn consistent golf trough 8 rounds . Especially at this level. Just 6 strokes between 8 rounds? You have to (and should be) proud of that imo.

Been playing more golf lately. Played another round this morning before it got too hot. A little better. A 94. 48/46. Still driving well. Hit another 9 fairways. A couple of the misses weren't that far off. Still had a decent lie and look at the green. Two were pretty bad. A snap hook on #5. The shortest par 4 at 320 yards. Yet, I still parred the hole. Had a gap between the trees. Around 100 yards. Hit a beauty with the wedge between the trees and had less than 15 feet for birdie. Two putt par.

My game seems to be changing. I'm not hitting as many triples as before. Only one today. Which is good. But I'm making less pars. Only two today. Which is not good. A lot of bogeys. I've been real consistent on the back nine not having breakdown holes. But I just can't seem to hit a green in regulation. After double bogeying hole 10, I had 8 straight bogeys. 7 of those were two putt bogeys. One was a one putt. If I can just get a few more pars to offset the doubles I feel I could reach that elusive 80's club.

I did have a different approach today. I have to remind myself that I'm a high handicapper. Bad shots are going to happen. Don't change your swing after a bad shot. Just focus on hitting it better the next time. On the one putt bogey during the back nine I skulled a chip on my 2nd shot on a par 3. Went over the green. Before I would be so frustrated thinking its gonna happen again I would just punch it on the green and settle for a very long putt. This time, I told myself "Just focus on hitting your aim point. You can't give in. You have to make it work". Sure enough, I hit the best chip of the day. One putted for bogey.

I think if I can just get my head straight, I can do better. Stop pressuring myself. I'm a high handicapper. Don't worry about the bad shots and enjoy the good ones. It seemed a little better today. Gave me some hope. Before, when things fell apart they really fell apart.
8 bogs in a row.
That imo is nice even with no pars. Thats a nice consistent run with no blowups.

Well, today's round wasn't the most attractive but it was a good round in my book. Stormy day and the rain clouds started to opened up on the 15th hole. I'm happy to say I think all the range practice is finally starting to payoff. My swing felt good and the G410 driver definitely helped me stay in the short grass off the tee - something I've had trouble with in the past.

In the clubhouse with 43/51 for a 94. Was feeling pretty good after the first nine, then had some trouble on the back. Notably, 11 and 18. Hole 11 I pulled a Spieth and put it in the water twice...I could not believe it. Snapped back and parred holes 12 and 13. Nothing terrible on the next four holes, then the 18th came and it started to pour.

18th tee shot is a blind shot over the hill and you want to land it on the right side of the fairway as the fairway slopes hard from right to left. Hit a great tee shot over the hill and in the middle of fairway. Upon walking over the hill, the ball caught the slope and ended up in the left rough. Long story short, ended up shooting a triple bogey to end the round.

Overall, was happy with the way I played. Swing and shots felt nice. Definitely can see where I could've made up a couple strokes, but there's always next round. Back to the course or range tomorrow.

44/43 for an 87 today. Monday was a 45/47 = 92, I felt like I had nothing going on that day. Today felt marginally better, but my stats and score looked better than how I actually felt I played. Last 5 rounds are 86, 87, 88, 92, 87.

Had a couple blow ups today, but felt very solid otherwise, and had a few birdie opportunities.
One of the better rounds, and to go 4 straight pars was awesome. Had a chance to continue it on 9, but struggled pitching out of the rough.

A huge component today: 0 three putts, and 0 penalties.

37DBCB1A-3131-4F17-82B1-9D1C64C50375.jpeg

Back