Trying To Break 90 Club

Struggled around the course today. I tweaked my left ankle on the 2nd hole after hitting my tee shot - a 260 yd shot into the first cut on the right side of the fairway. My 2nd shot went wide left, followed by a duffed chip and a 3 putt. I didn't want to put weight on my left ankle and it threw my timing off, and I had a lot of topped shots and fat shots because I wasn't shifting my weight. The back 9 was horrid until the 11th, when I decided to slow down my swing. Just take easy swings and watch my tempo. Yes I would lose distance, but maybe I'd make contact. 13th... put my tee shot in the trees on the left... could have pitched out, but decided to hit a bendy ball with my hybrid, and got into the green complex in 3, but in the bunker with a steep downhill lie (not with my ankle and I haven't practiced that shot and I had the wrong wedge and my cart was on the other side). Took a drop outside. Pitched on and one putted for a DB. I had two GIRs. 6 FIRs. It rained in the middle of the round and made the greens slow. I ended up with a 94.

Felt like a great and frustrating round today. We played a 3 man blind draw stableford for men’s league this morning.
On the plus- I’m still putting well. I am hitting my rogue 4h really well. And I had two net 1’s!
On the negative: I had 4 OB shots with my driver today, and 2 with my 3w. The three wood was just a couple bad bounces, one a couple feet too long, and one right. The driver was miserable. Could not understand how to hit it.

thankfully I have a lesson tomorrow, and I 100% need to focus on getting driver in play. All my misses were big hooks, and I just had no idea how to straighten them out. Am I too close, far, forward, back? Swingpath? No clue. Lesson tomorrow to help.

next weekend is the member-member, and club championship the weekend after, so I am going to get to play quite a bit of golf. If I can stay in play I know I can score decent. It’s killing me to have my second shot be my 4th ‘stroke’.

68BA6318-D1BA-4121-A1F4-29DE620B5F96.jpeg

Played yesterday in 111 heat. For the most part I hit my irons much better today, my driver while still consistent failed me on a few holes which resulted in 6 penalties. Shot a 92 with a pair of 46s. The round included 7 pars. So without those penalties I would have been well under 85 I believe.

Good morning! Back on this forum after a long hiatus. I shot an 85 yesterday on a course that I shot 92 on last week. 44-41, with three penalties. Chipping and putting saved the day for me. Driver was a mess...

Have a great Sunday, everyone!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Been too hot to play past mid morning the past week. Should cool down to 99 on Tuesday. I plan to play 18 starting around 7:00. Should be comfortable. We'll see how it goes.

After shooting a 94 I thought I'd get out to the range as soon as it opens. Which is around 8 yesterday. Not too hot at that time. I bought a range card where my next ten buckets are less than half the normal cost.

So I thought I would try and figure out how the make that darn 6 iron work. To me that is the most important iron in the bag for my home course. 3 of the par 3's are in the 155-165 yard range. Which is exactly the distance of my 6 iron. Plus, there are usually 2 or 3 other holes where I'm 6 iron distance on my 2nd or 3rd shot. But I have not been hitting it very well. Haven't made a par on those 3 holes in a while. Choking down and hitting softer with the 5 iron doesn't help either.

So I spent a lot of time on that one iron. I'm hoping I broke the code. I noticed if I keep my eyes directly over the middle of the ball on my back swing, then lean forward ever so slightly on the down swing, I'm hitting much more solid and straighter. I just have to make sure I don't lean too much. Too much and the iron head digs straight down into the turf. I usually hit the ball first and the results look ok. But it jams my wrists and elbows to where it hurts.

I think I'll go out again tomorrow and try to fine tune that slight forward lean. I have to remember to play the ball a couple inches forward in the my stance with that swing. If I can hit the 6 iron better I know I can shave off several strokes. Seems I'm in position to need that club more than any other iron in the bag.

Had a very solid 43 on the front 9 at Quantico Medal of Honor course this morning. Could never really get the driver going and was inconsistent with a 49 on the back 9 but still not a bad round for me. Getting there slowly but surely.

Back in the game with a 44/43-87. Did a great job at staying out of trouble and avoiding blow up holes. Gave up strokes off the tee, but my recovery game was pretty darn good all day. Chipping was so bad I went back to using my 52* rather than my 9i and saw an immediate improvement. Putting was unreal. 30 putts including three makes from 15,25,35. Definitely my two longest putts of the year. I think this is the path to breaking 80 with improvements off the tee.
87A8672C-9006-4D41-8802-3209890A8568.jpeg

Tale of two rounds today, with a 51(!) on the front and a 42 on the back for a 93. Got two birdies for the first time in, well, ever, so that was awesome. Hopefully I continue to improve.

B16F91EF-EBE5-44CD-BD53-82BF7EA9D004.png

Last edited:
46/42 for a 88. Second straight round under 90 at my home course. Really trying to avoid 3 putts and focus on playing more conservative tee shots to keep the ball in play off the tee.
Screenshot_20200712-203951.png

Broke 90 in a big way (for me) this afternoon. Shot 43/43 for a really nice 86!

This is my best ever round :eek::ROFLMAO:

Driver has really been a game changer for me for the last 27 holes for me. Had several nice drives in the 270-280 yards range and hitting more fairways with my Cobra Xtreme.

For awhile now, I have been struggling with a right side/slicing miss. Those right side misses weren't so far to right to be out of bounds, but, were a concern and have been tweaking and working to correct that. I think I have got it dialed in a bit better now.

Broke 90 in a big way (for me) this afternoon. Shot 43/43 for a really nice 86!

This is my best ever round :eek::ROFLMAO:

Driver has really been a game changer for me for the last 27 holes for me. Had several nice drives in the 270-280 yards range and hitting more fairways with my Cobra Xtreme.

For awhile now, I have been struggling with a right side/slicing miss. Those right side misses weren't so far to right to be out of bounds, but, were a concern and have been tweaking and working to correct that. I think I have got it dialed in a bit better now.
Congrats! That is such a good driver. Monster distance.

And so after my 3 in a row sub 90 rounds a couple weeks ago I went rjght back to then a 102, then 97, 93. And then yesterday I played 36 at 2 different courses. Morining round was a 94 and then afternoon an 89. And that 89 was finishing with a double.

My short game needs work (or practice i should say). id been so bad ball sgtriking wise that I let the shiort game go just trying to straighten out the penal beatings off the tees and irons. I mean now that Ive somewhat tamed those parts I need to get some my shirt game back again

40/42 for an 82 today. My last three rounds have been in the 90s (a disastrous 98 on a day I couldn't do anything right, a 91, and a 90 yesterday), so today felt like sweet revenge.

Irons felt good. I was GIR the first 3 holes, then only once more on the 8th hole (17).

I am still royally struggling with the driver. Everything is a big hook OB. More work with my coach upcoming.

Other than that I feel good everywhere else. My irons feel tight, wedge gets enough spin. Need to work on chipping and pitching still. Will have some range time tomorrow afternoon to prepare for Member Member this weekend.

DA871FA7-ACEB-45A4-80D8-6792F8E9E65F.jpeg

Shot an 85 today. Everything was working reasonably well, but nothing was great. 3 double bogeys on the back, but managed to keep everything else bogey or better (including a birdie).

43/46 for an 89 for me yesterday. Felt like I shot pretty well and hit 7 of 14 fairways. Driving was really better than that as when I did miss fairway, it was by single digit yards vs. my usual 25 or 30 :ROFLMAO:

45 holes now with my new found confidence in my Cobra Speedzone Xtreme driver. Had a great drive on 1st hole of 298 and another at 284 with some other 260's mixed in there also.

My swing has decided to take the summer off. The draw I was generating has gone full hook. And I stupidly reverted to muscling it instead of making a fluid movements resulting in pulled muscles on the left mid-upper back. I took 10 days off from golf prior to our league match last sunday. I was complete dumpster fire mode. It became very clear that I am extremely stiff. If I want to break 90, then hope to do it regularly, I must work to improve my flexibility. With ECS, I limited damage to a 51 and one par on the front. I relaxed a bit and loosened up, so managed to put together a great run on 13-16. [par-bogey-par-birdie]. managing to shoot a 47 on the back 9.

On the course I'm reminded every time I want to play a partial wedge shot. I set up and do the mental math to limit the backswing and make a super relaxed swing....and proceed to watch the ball fly nearly the distance of a full swing.

Well, where do I start. I shot my worst round of the season today, by far. It was literally as if I never swung a club before. Nothing went right. It was so bad I stopped keeping score after the turn. I haven't played that bad in a very long time. Just feeling discouraged right now to get back out there. Sigh....I love golf.

Back 9 this past Sunday. Was at 4 over through 8 holes. 2 bogeys, 1 double bogey, 5 pars. If I par the 18th, I could go in with a 40.

I promptly card a 10 on that hole to shoot a 45.:eek:

84 yesterday, 86 today. Had some semblance of consistency lately, but sometimes it feels like I'm hanging on by a thread! :LOL: Keeping penalty strokes to a minimum has helped, two yesterday and one today.

Had a great round yesterday, well the back 9 was great. :ROFLMAO:

86 tieing my personal best.

45 on the front with a par, 7 bogeys and 1 double.
41 on the back which started off with 4 straight pars!

Driver was good on back 9, didn't have good swing on the front. 3 Wood was 🔥 again. Chipping with MIM wedges continues to be amazing and really saves me time and time again.

Back