Trying To Break 90 Club

Recently shot a 90 for my best score ever, was feeling good about breaking through on Saturday. Started with a couple pars then the wheels came off and finished 102. Back to the drawing board.

Shot an 83 today. Was +3 on the front, then +8 on the back. That makes 8 rounds in a row of 90 or better (83, 86, 84, 90, 85, 90, 85, 82), and 16 of my last 20.

My inconsistency continues, yesterday I had 1 bird, 7 pars, 6 bogies, and 31 putts, most of the time that would put me below 90 but the four holes I blew up, I blew up bad.
Overall my game is getting better, I always improves when the weather cools down, I’m looking forward to the fall season.

Broke 90 for the first time on Friday. 45/44 for an 89. 5 pars and a bunch of bogies, basically just played solid consistent bogey golf. Limited my blow ups, and only had one triple which I think contributed to it. The course was really wet, so we weren't getting any roll out on shots, and the greens were really slow so I felt like I was hammering my putts. I didn't actually realize I have broken 90 until I was adding my score up in the parking lot.

84 today, even with 4 doubles marring my score card. I'm on a hot streak, just hoping it continues!

Back over 90 with a rough, wet, muddy, 94.
Some struggles on the tee, and putting was all over the place

80 today, short tees (5600) on a windy day. Came ***that*** close to breaking 80 and tying my PB!

Well, that's two in a row for me. I shot an 87 last Sunday and an 88 today. Iron play is getting so much more reliable and the putter has been solid (if not spectacular). Carded my first eagle in what seems like forever today. Nice 83 yard pitch uphill. One hop. Drop. Man, If I get my driver figured out again, this is going to be a fun home stretch of the season.:p

43/43 86 today at Bluff Creek. It was my first time there.

Birdie, par, par finish.

I started out missing some makeable par putts, and finished by draining two 10+ footers.

Shot a 90 yesterday. Had some great holes where I seemed to know how to play the game and make good contact, then other holes where I was lost and playing army golf, but on the positive side of those holes - I got to see alot ofvthe course. :ROFLMAO: Putting was a bit off as well with three 3 putts for the round.

Shot a personal best 85 this weekend. It actually snuck up on me. I was playing reasonably well and figured without any major blow ups I'd be in the lower 90s. Got to the end and was like "uhh". Walked through the round again and it was indeed correct!

well, since my last sub 90 round things have been so crazy. One round I needed a par to shoot an 89 and ended up with a double for the 91 but still an ok round.

Then another round was so bad I dont even know how many over par I was and actually walked off at the turn. Things were just that bad and golfing was not fun at all that day. :confused2:Yet then another round I was doing wonderful with a plus 4 after 9 holes:) but fell apart on the back so badly:(.

FF to yesterday morning and I needed to make a par putt on 18 to tie my old PB of 83. I had been putting well all day but I missed it.....lol but felt great to not just break 90 with an 89 or 88 but actually shoot an 84 (mid to lower 80's) for the first time in a very loooong time:)

I went home , took care of some things and decided to go play an afternoon round. I was very tired from the heat and humidity and wasn't sure if it was a good idea. I started the round rather poorly with a couple doubles and no pars but no real blow ups either. I settled in a bit but the front was not looking like a sub 90 was going to happen at all. I just couldnt get going well enough. But then I began to throw out a few pars and long story short I pulled off an 87.

So it was a great sub 90 double header day with an 84 and an 87 :)

Last edited:
83 today, scrambling my butt off. Only hit 3 greens, so I spent a lot of time with a wedge in my hand!

89 for me today, looked like things would be pretty good, started par-par and was +2 until 6th hole when I lost one in rough on right and ended up with a double bogey. Followed that up with another 2 doubles and what could have been a good front 9 was gone. :ROFLMAO:

Back 9 started out much the same, +1 through 13 and then a pair of doubles tripped me up.

Making some progress with my game, under 90 in 4 of the last 6 rounds. I will take it. (y)

This week's scores were 83, 82, 83. Had rough patches in each of them, but managed to pull it together before it completely derailed me. Going back out tomorrow, hoping the trend continues!

Had a chance to finally pull it off at Torrey on Saturday. Needed to finish +1 on the last 3 holes but shanked my approach on 16 ob. Finished triple, par, triple for a 94. Next weeks the week!

This week's scores were 83, 82, 83. Had rough patches in each of them, but managed to pull it together before it completely derailed me. Going back out tomorrow, hoping the trend continues!

what’s your secret to consistency?

what’s your secret to consistency?
Some of it is just improvement because I'm playing a lot, but the two biggest conscious changes have been:

1) Keep the ball in play. I've dialed back my swing to about 80% and my ballstriking has gotten more consistent without much, if any, yardage loss, because I'm hitting the sweet spot more often and not spraying the ball all over the place. I'm not taking as many penalty strokes and the quality of my shots has improved.

2) I've practiced to improve my short game, and also revised how I think about it. My number one priority in short game is just get the ball on the green - especially if it's any kind of sketchy/questionable lie. I don't try to be cute with it, I just do whatever I need so that I have a putter in my hand for the next shot.

Screenshot_20200810-102802.png

Well, I guess I should be happy that I didn't feel like I played well, but still shot under 90.

Some stupid penalties sure didn't help.

Oh, and being on a par 5 in two, then three putting is as bad as you can feel getting par.....

81 today, with two doubles and a triple - all on par 3s, ugh.

A rough back 9 y'day doomed me... it was hot & humid and playing with some different guys for the first time at a different course the first time all year.

Had a couple ugly tee shots and hooked another ball into the woods. The 18th was comical... I hit my drive long thru the fairway into spread out line of maples. Had a decent amount of room just had to hit the ball low. I wasn't worried about distance, its downhill the whole fairway. Hit a punch 7i and it catches a limb and knocks right down. Well decide to press a little more to get to the green and catch a similar low limb square on the next tree and the ball comes backwards further from the green than where my drive was. But I had a better angle. SO went for it again and hit a fade that flew about 3 trees down the hill and caught branches dropping down again. Chipped onto the green & 2 putted. Just brutal...

Last edited:
A rough back 9 y'day doomed me... it was hot & humid and playing some different guys for the first time at a different course all year.

Had a couple ugly tee shots and hooked another ball into the woods. The 18th was comical... I hit my drive long thru the fairway into spread out line of maples. Had a decent amount of room just had to hit the ball low. I wasn't worried about distance, its downhill the whole fairway. Hit a punch 7i and it catches a limb and knocks right down. Well decide to press a little more to get to the green and catch a similar low limb square on the next tree and the ball comes backwards further from the green than where my drive was. But I had a better angle. SO went for it again and hit a fade that flew about 3 trees down the hill and caught branches dropping down again. Chipped onto the green & 2 putted. Just brutal...
I feel your pain. I followed up a perfect drive with a top into water today.

😥

Been in the 80's last three rounds with an 87, 85 and a 89. The last one on a course I never played before. Let's hope to keep up the good scores this week.

there was a week span where i thought "yeah...maybe"...now it's like "nope."

there was a week span where i thought "yeah...maybe"...now it's like "nope."

Stick with it.

Last spring, I was really happy to shoot under 100. I worked on getting off the tee in play, and making SMART second shots instead of ones that I knew were less than 50/50.

It's amazing how much better your score is without tons of OB and water penalties.

😉

Back