Trying To Break 90 Club

One thing that really helped me was playing long 4's like a short 5 if there was troube around the green and I knew I'd be in that trouble hitting a 200+ yard second shot.

A lot of people laugh at laying up on a 4, but I've posted a lot of bogies that used to be 7's......

My score went down when I started taking shots I knew I could make, instead of ones I wanted to make.

Stick with it.

Last spring, I was really happy to shoot under 100. I worked on getting off the tee in play, and making SMART second shots instead of ones that I knew were less than 50/50.

It's amazing how much better your score is without tons of OB and water penalties.

😉
This x100, also work on being better at par 3's, when I play par 3's well my score is almost always below 90. I try to be +2 on all par 3's. Its not an easy task, but its in my mindset every round.

Today was the first time I swung a club in about 12 days. Felt real good taking a little break. Well, got back to it today and played pretty decent for my standards. Shot a 44/48 for a 92 with 31 putts. I would have shot under 90 if I didn't have two absolute blow-up holes on the back. Hole 11 I shot a quad-bogey and hole 17 I shot a triple :mad:. Those holes really screwed my scorecard.

Drove the green on the 296yd par4 16th in front of a foursome as it was backed up - that felt real good. Glad I did it because the group behind me were joking about driving the green as they rolled up and I was waiting for the group ahead to get off the green.

Overall, it was a very hot day and I am pleased with how I played (mostly, those two damn holes!). Swing felt good and can't wait for the next round.

Shot a 91 on a course I've never played before this past weekend. The front was a bit of a **** show as I carded a 48 but a little mental approach adjustment and a "just swing it" approach with my irons helped me limp to a 43 on the back. Driver was a mess, so that will be my focus this week. I've been swinging that club with way too much tension in my hands and trying to "steer" it to disastrous results. I went to the range yesterday to try and sort a couple of things out and the driver was much more accurate (as it always is on the range). Hopefully I remember to keep my hands loose and release with my lower body out on the course next time instead of trying to swing away from trouble.

Had a blast playing with @mtbloco, @oumagic, and @MSEASU though. Love those dudes!

Shot a 91 on a course I've never played before this past weekend. The front was a bit of a **** show as I carded a 48 but a little mental approach adjustment and a "just swing it" approach with my irons helped me limp to a 43 on the back. Driver was a mess, so that will be my focus this week. I've been swinging that club with way too much tension in my hands and trying to "steer" it to disastrous results. I went to the range yesterday to try and sort a couple of things out and the driver was much more accurate (as it always is on the range). Hopefully I remember to keep my hands loose and release with my lower body out on the course next time instead of trying to swing away from trouble.

Had a blast playing with @mtbloco, @oumagic, and @MSEASU though. Love those dudes!
Swing like you did on 18

1597107096979.jpeg

91 on a course you've never played before is solid!

Golf is one finicky sport which can drive one nuts. I a play most every Tuesday morning and have now been in a cycle of good round bad round. Well today was bad. Could not keep driver straight, 3 putted a couple of holes for a 43 at a par 33 course. I don't understand while some days I feel solid and comfortable with swing and the results are good and other days where it might feel the same but I have no clue where ball is going to go.

Rant over!

Golf is one finicky sport which can drive one nuts. I a play most every Tuesday morning and have now been in a cycle of good round bad round. Well today was bad. Could not keep driver straight, 3 putted a couple of holes for a 43 at a par 33 course. I don't understand while some days I feel solid and comfortable with swing and the results are good and other days where it might feel the same but I have no clue where ball is going to go.

Rant over!

Don't you just love golf!

Shot 43/45 today for 88, my best score ever! Used my new Cobra Speedzone Xtreme driver and had a great day off the tee, which obviously helped. Biggest key today was that my second shots were on point. Made a couple of longer putts to save a few bogeys, kept my double bogeys down to a minimum, and offset my DBs with pars.

Overall just an great day on the course - hopefully one of many to come!

Had one of my worst rounds that I can remember yesterday, shot a 96.

On front 9 shot a 51 and had a string of 4 doubles and triples which I can usually shake off, but I just had a case of shankitis. Nothing was going well except my putting and chipping. Just getting to the green was the problem :ROFLMAO:

Back 9 I collected myself with a fresh outlook and shot a 45. Not a whole lot better, but felt good to start out with 4 straight pars before I got myself in trouble again in some trees which I was a pro at finding and hitting during the round.

As I mentioned my putting was pretty good on the day, had six 1 putts and no 3 putts on the day. Chipping certainly helped me in that regard. Cobra MIM wedges are 🔥

Ah well, will be a better round next weekend. (y)

40/41 = 81 today. Three birdies and only two doubles, so I'm trending in the right direction.

Shot 45/44 for 89, my second consecutive sub-90 round. Driving was OK, second shots were decent, but my short game really came through - I was in the sand around the greens much more then last time and my 60 degree wedge really helped a lot. Chipping was good enough to give me a few one putts too. Probably should have been a better score, as I got 6 pars (most ever) and got the most GIRs ever in a round, but my bad second shots were really bad - hit a bunch off of the toe today for some reason.

Still, feeling more and more confident in my game, learning what works and what doesn't, and I'm still having fun!

Last edited:
its been frustrating. But after decades thats nothing new..lol
And so at least i do have (this season) a handful of rounds below 90 which I posted about in the thread. But all the others are near 100. And its like for every 87 there is 8 rounds at 97. Today was a 99.
Its like feast or famine.

And yet today played to an 85.:) Go figure. Only one water ball for a penalty. I also missed 3 putts at under 5 feet and still shot the 85.
Will I be in for the next 8 rounds of 97's ? who knows...lol

Good round today. Shot an 86, 42/44.

Started out really well with a chip in on first hole from about 10 yards out. I really love my Cobra MIM wedges.

2 birdies on the day and is first time I have done that in one round.

First birdie was on par 5 3rd hole, drive was to the left, 3 wood shot 210 yards and then up on green with 56* wedge and 46' feet out from the hole with a sloped pin location. Lined myself up and thought I initially pulled it, ball rolled nicely on the green just to the left and the slope just carried right into the hole!

Second birdie was also on a par 5, the 11th hole. Nice drive in fairway, 3 wood still on fairway on approach, 9 iron up on the green and putt from 21' out and sank it.

Decided to take my Scotty Cameron Flowback 5.5 out today and I think it has earned it's way into the bag with the putts that I sank today. :cool:

Big step backwards with 99 today. Good ball striking but short game fell apart. Back to the drawing board.

85, 86, 84 on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday this week. My game continues to be characterized by decent golf ruined by a few blowup holes.

Wednesday was especially frustrating - I was +2 after 9 and +3 standing on the 12th tee box, well on my way to the best round of my life. I proceeded to go double, par, triple, triple, double over the next five holes and end up +11 on the back 9. :mad:

85, 86, 84 on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday this week. My game continues to be characterized by decent golf ruined by a few blowup holes.

Wednesday was especially frustrating - I was +2 after 9 and +3 standing on the 12th tee box, well on my way to the best round of my life. I proceeded to go double, par, triple, triple, double over the next five holes and end up +11 on the back 9. :mad:
I hear ya man. Thats the story if my life.
I been +2 after 8 and then went +17 over the next 4.
Ive had (no exaggeration) 6 pars and 2 birds and still shot a 103.
Ive gone through first six ......par. triple, par, triple, par , triple

heck after my 85 on friday, I began today with a 10 on hole 1.
10 minutes into playing only one hole into it and already a 90 is almost impossible. I finished with a 92 somehow. Bue cheeeeeez man...start with a +6 on hole 1. Just wow......freaking wow.

Shot a lackluster 93 yesterday. Couldn't get out of my own way and had way too many blow up holes with 4 triples. One good thing for the day is that I had 7 GIR's so had chances for birdie putts on those holes. Putting was pretty good on the day, but I burned the right edge of several holes on those birdie chances.

I couldn't get out of my own way on the front nine today - 2 bogeys, 3 doubles and a triple to put me at +11 for the front. Came back with a +5 on the back to finish at 88, but it definitely wasn't a solid round.

Today was my best day of the year off the tees. I was spot on from most tees. My driver holes I was looong and straight. Nothing penal and only two holes all day cost me a stroke. I was longer with my driver than I been all year too. But thats where it ended. Finally i had the tee round I been searching for all year and I could do absolutely nothing else all day. I end up near 100. I couldnt hit and iron, i couldnt pitch nor chip. It was a disaster.

When my tee game is good (or simply just not penal) its usually what gives me the starting chance to have one of my sub 90 rounds. But not this time. This time with my best tee game of the season by far everything else simply dissipated so badly. I had zero feel for anything short. it wasnt just a poorer short game day , it was outright awful embarrassing like I had nio clue how to even play that part of the game. Had i just played even just my average short game I would have likely played low 80's. I cant recall the last time my short pitches and chips were this bad. No touch, no feel, no judgment for distance, etc...just a disaster.

So bad and what a complete waste of my greatest tee game of the season. i was very happy about my struggling tee game but so disappointing for then blowing most of them up.

New to the club.... Soooo..... Generally I shoot between 95 and 109. A few weeks ago I shot an 89. Had no idea of my score. Just knew I had a good warm up session and I wasn't losing balls like i tend too. My partner added up the score at the end of the round and said you got 89. I was in shock. Now this was a Par 70 golf course. But still that sub 90 was a great feeling. I've played about 5 rounds since and I didn't break 100 until last Friday. Shot a 92. But you know when you can feel that the game is almost there. Just out of reach but you basically feel good about your game. lol I feel like sub 90 is right there.

Keys to my game for breaking 90:
Limit OB's off the Tee
Par 3's Hitting Greens and or playing bogey golf. They are my nemesis. I have been avg. triple on the par 3's. Just needs to stop.

36 holes today
1st 18 was worst of the season and second was sub 90.

so past 6 rounds been aweful near 100 since last 80s round. Yesterday i walked off in frustration at the turn. This morning I played early and hacked my why through 18 holes like as if I only began playing golf yesterday. I could do nothing at all anywhere from tee to green. Embarrassing as all heck.

Then finished the last 3 holes with pars and actually began hitting balls again. So I went to another course and decided I just had to continue. I had to battle through. So second round in the end was well worth it with an 87 (and thats with a screw up on 18).

47/45 =92

Started off today’s round on track with a couple of pars, but four DB’s in a row derailed today’s effort. Found a couple of things to work on with my iron game, and driving was good...mostly.

Best hole of the day was actually one of my worst drives. 280 yard short par 4, but it’s a hard dogleg left and there’s water all on the left side. Got too aggressive and pulled my drive close to the green but left and splash! Drop my ball in the drop zone, which requires me to chip over a bunker and has little room to maneuver. Pull out my gap wedge, take a deep breath...and somehow chip my 3rd shot to 15 ft uphill from the pin. Line up my putt, take another deep breath...and I roll it in for a water hazard penalty par.

Back