Trying to follow the rules but what would you do here?

Unless it's a tournament I always play by the rule of "I pay to play, I don't get paid to play". Move the ball if it's evident that the club will be damaged or you'll hurt yourself.
Same, I'm not scuffing up a $150 wedge, or hurting my wrists if I can help it. That said, the wedge has character now, it's a warrior, enjoy it!

Don't presume to tell me what I will or will not do or be able to do. If the pond is shallow enough and I can get a clib on it, then I will certainly entertain the option of hitting it.
Post a video of you doing this please.

If the situation ever comes up, I have a partner with me to video, and I won't hold up the pace of place, I'd be more than happy to post a video of it.

1:10, 3:50, and 4:05 show good examples of this from the PGA Tour.

1:10, 3:50, and 4:05 show good examples of this from the PGA Tour.

That video proves my argument. The first and last ones you cited did not have balls at the bottom of ponds. They were on edges and more than half the ball was above water. The one at 3:50- he didn’t get the ball out! Because you cannot physically play a ball at the bottom of a pond. The OB rule is illogical and a overly harsh and a bad rule b

That video proves my argument. The first and last ones you cited did not have balls at the bottom of ponds. They were on edges and more than half the ball was above water. The one at 3:50- he didn’t get the ball out! Because you cannot physically play a ball at the bottom of a pond. The OB rule is illogical and a overly harsh and a bad rule b

They most certainly were at the bottom of the pond. Floaters are not conforming so the ball most certainly sank to the bottom of the pond.

3:50 he didn't get it out, but not because it couldn't be gotten out... he missed his mark by a "mile"!

They most certainly were at the bottom of the pond. Floaters are not conforming so the ball most certainly sank to the bottom of the pond.
They were sitting more than halfway above the water. Are you really not aware of the silliness of your argument?

They were sitting more than halfway above the water. Are you really not aware of the silliness of your argument?

True, but they were resting on the bottom of the pond/lake/water in a shallow area. Can you really not see that?

You two should agree to disagree.. Neither seems willing to budge on your stance.. ?

In a friendly round move it.

In a tournament or playing for money with friends, play it as it lies.

If you carry a beat up wedge what club comes out of the bag? Only 14 clubs in the bag if you are following the rules.

In a friendly round move it.

In a tournament or playing for money with friends, play it as it lies.

If you carry a beat up wedge what club comes out of the bag? Only 14 clubs in the bag if you are following the rules.
I agree with this, and often the sole of wedges get worn by the design. If casual, take relief. If for money / in a tournament - play it like it is unless worried about wrist injury and then take an unplayable lie and the penalty. I'm not one for putting a beat up club in my bag.. I need all 14 that are currently in it

You two should agree to disagree.. Neither seems willing to budge on your stance.. ?

He can disagree with me. I don't mind. I've never had a problem with someone having a different view than mine. I love to debate. Bottom line, if it's resting on the ground under the water, it's on the bottom of the pond.

He can disagree with me. I don't mind. I've never had a problem with someone having a different view than mine. I love to debate. Bottom line, if it's resting on the ground under the water, it's on the bottom of the pond.
And you can't hit a submerged ball at the bottom of a pond. And to the point of the argument, if you see the ball splash into the pond and then you can't find it, it is in the pond and you can't go into the water to find it and play it. It is effectively the same consequence as OB- you can't play the ball. One bad swing in one circumstance shouldn't be punished twice as much as the same exact bad swing with the same exact effective result in another circumstance. Illogical.

And I don't mind anything OG has said either. Seems like a cool guy who likes to have a good debate.

drop no further to the hole max of one club length and play man made obstetrical. i'm not a pro and I pay to much for my clubs to take a beating on gravel.

I played with my dad today in a group modified stableford competition at his course. One of the guys in our group was a stickler for the rules, we had to make every putt! Even a2 incher, he made us hole out! I actually missed a1 footer! I also 3 putted from 4 feet and missed a2 footer! That was embarrassing! What a game!

Back