@ttucliffhangers Driver fitting on 01/29/2021

ttucliffhanger

2024 Bag Boy Championship - Aqua Men
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I have a driver fitting tomorrow at a place in Knoxville called Fairways and Greens. Of course my first choice is the new Callaway, but I’m going to go off numbers. I’m trying to get better and the best way to get better is using equipment that will help me. The fitting will be a combination of outside on trackman and top tracer and inside in a bay. I will be hitting the new Callaway, Ping, Titleist, Taylormade, and Cobra. My current driver is the Callaway EPIC Flash w/ the EvenFlow Green. It will be cold in the morning so not looking forward to that but the bays are heated so should be ok. What do you all think I’ll get fitted to?

Based on your current bag, I’d say you’ll be fit into the Callaway Epic Speed matched up to a Project X HZRDUS Smoke iM10 in 50g and 6.0.

Based on your current bag, I’d say you’ll be fit into the Callaway Epic Speed matched up to a Project X HZRDUS Smoke iM10 in 50g and 6.0.
I have hit the ping g425 lst and it’s dang good! But only in a XS shaft so we will see about the right shaft. I guess I should say one of my goals is to get my spin down some.

I have hit the ping g425 lst and it’s dang good! But only in a XS shaft so we will see about the right shaft. I guess I should say one of my goals is to get my spin down some.
That HZRDUS shaft is supposed to be low/mid spin too...

So many great options right now!

I would go with Callaway but without ever seeing numbers its a tough call. Forgiveness is a big thing, so hopefully that plays into your choice.

What do you all think I’ll get fitted to?
Would need to know a few things before I could offer an educated guess.
1. What is your driver swing speed, smash factor, launch angle, spin rate, and carry distance with your current driver?
2. What is your typical shot shape with your current driver?
3. Were you fitted for your current driver? If so, what kind of fitting? You picked the head and said fit me? Manufacturer's fitting? Brand agnostic fitting determined by the numbers? Something else?
4. Are you going to be fit using your 2020 Chrome Soft-X Triple Track golf ball? If not, what ball are they going to use?
5. Are you going to limit your search to specific brands or products? If so, what are they?
6. Is your fitter limited on the brands, models or shafts they can offer? If so, what is available? (Fairways & Greens website only listed Callaway, Titleist, Ping, Cobra, TaylorMade and Mizuno, and said nothing about shafts they offer.)

Last edited:
Have fun .....swing away!

[/QUOTE]
Would need to know a few things before I could offer an educated guess.
1. What is your driver swing speed, smash factor, launch angle, spin rate, and carry distance with your current driver? Last time I had my SS checked it was 108, spin rates in the 3500 range, can’t remember my launch angle or smash factor. Carry distance is about 260-270.

2. What is your typical shot shape with your current driver? Fade with a miss right
3. Were you fitted for your current driver? If so, what kind of fitting? You picked the head and said fit me? Manufacturer's fitting? Brand agnostic fitting determined by the numbers? Something else? Yes I was fitted at the 2018 Grandaddy at ECPC by their fitters. Fitting was outside on a range with trackman. Fitting was based on numbers. Current driver is a 9* head with COG set to -1 D and weight in the track all the way in D position
4. Are you going to be fit using your 2020 Chrome Soft-X Triple Track golf ball? If not, what ball are they going to use? Yes I will be using the 2020 Chrome Soft X TT.
5. Are you going to limit your search to specific brands or products? If so, what are they? I listed which brands in original post I would be trying.
6. Is your fitter limited on the brands, models or shafts they can offer? If so, what is available? (Fairways & Greens website only listed Callaway, Titleist, Ping, Cobra, TaylorMade and Mizuno, and said nothing about shafts they offer.) shaft wise I will be sticking with stock offerings as I just don’t want to spend $800-900 on a driver.

something I will add is my game has gotten significantly better this last year. Went from a 13 to a 9 HC. So we will see what happens. My tee game was on fire for a bit this last year it now now so much.

Have fun .....swing away!
Thanks. Heading to get fit after I drop my daughter off. Concerned its a little cold but should be ok.

Have fun today man. Looking forward to hearing all about it and what you end up with.

Alright! Time for some results. Let’s talk about the fitting itself. I absolutely loved it! I had the fitter (Dave) and his assistant working with me. I got there early and asked if I could hit some iron shots and a few driver shots to warm up and they let me warm up.
I had the choice of using top tracer, heated bays with mats, inside on mats, or going outside on grass with Flight Scope. I thought it would be trackman, but wasn’t. Either way I chose to be strictly outside with Flight Scope. Keep in mind it was 29* at the start of my fitting and got up to about 32*.

ok. So we started inside so they could get a base of my driver and then we went outside where I hit a couple more shots with my driver. Immediately fitter and his assistant both said I was in the wrong shaft.
Then we moved to other drivers. Hit the Taylormade Sim2, Ping G425 LST, Titleist TSi3 and both Callaway Epic Max LS and Max. Spin was my problem. We narrowed it down to the TM, Callaway Epic Max LS, and Ping G425 LST. TM had highest ball speed when center hit but off center hits were bad. So it came down to Cally and Ping and Callaway was just more consistent on mishits and ball speed across the face. So here are the numbers. Top driver is my current gamer. Guy is ordering the driver for me and I will square up when it comes in. Spent very little time with the Epic Max as first swing I didn’t like it at all and flight was horrible as was spin.
Driver I will be gaming for 2021 is:

Callaway Epic Max LS 9.0 (D-1) weight in heel.
Shaft: Roque White 60 X -Flex
Length: standard
Grip: TourVelvet Align

the fitting was soooooo worth it today. Better dispersion, able to get my smash factor up a little bit more consistent over all and better and more consistent ball speed on misses.
See below for data from fitting:
4084F9DB-39D4-4038-ABE2-D3D116846154.pngB4C102A5-3AF6-4885-83B7-665B61BF565B.png

Alright! Time for some results. Let’s talk about the fitting itself. I absolutely loved it! I had the fitter (Dave) and his assistant working with me. I got there early and asked if I could hit some iron shots and a few driver shots to warm up and they let me warm up.
I had the choice of using top tracer, heated bays with mats, inside on mats, or going outside on grass with Flight Scope. I thought it would be trackman, but wasn’t. Either way I chose to be strictly outside with Flight Scope. Keep in mind it was 29* at the start of my fitting and got up to about 32*.

ok. So we started inside so they could get a base of my driver and then we went outside where I hit a couple more shots with my driver. Immediately fitter and his assistant both said I was in the wrong shaft.
Then we moved to other drivers. Hit the Taylormade Sim2, Ping G425 LST, Titleist TSi3 and both Callaway Epic Max LS and Max. Spin was my problem. We narrowed it down to the TM, Callaway Epic Max LS, and Ping G425 LST. TM had highest ball speed when center hit but off center hits were bad. So it came down to Cally and Ping and Callaway was just more consistent on mishits and ball speed across the face. So here are the numbers. Top driver is my current gamer. Guy is ordering the driver for me and I will square up when it comes in. Spent very little time with the Epic Max as first swing I didn’t like it at all and flight was horrible as was spin.

the fitting was soooooo worth it today. Better dispersion, able to get my smash factor up a little bit more consistent over all and better and more consistent ball speed on misses.
View attachment 8990886View attachment 8990888
Hard to see those numbers but glad they got you dialed in.

View attachment 8990886View attachment 8990888
Wow, that is a big change in shafts - Was the EF Green what you were fit into at the Grandaddy?

Did you have the opportunity or option to try the new mizuno or srixon??

Glad you had a great experience and were fit into a driver to optimized to your swing.

Congrats @ttucliffhanger!

That's a lot of data I can't read haha, but looks like you went full send.
I have some things to work on still but fitter said give yourself a some time to get comfortable with the club but the fitting did exactly what I wanted or was looking for (lower spin, better dispersion) and I was able to bring my smash factor and ball speed up a little and more consistent, which consistency is more important to me. I didn’t really see any gains on distance but I didn’t expect it.I’ll see if I can get the data to post clearer. Not sure why it did that

Sounds like you had a great experience today, congrats on the new driver!

That's a big change in shafts! Curious to see the numbers once you're able to repost.

What were you CHS and BS on such a cold day?

What were you CHS and BS on such a cold day?
Best club head speed was 107.4 and that was after I got warmed up a little outside bc it was so dang cold. Best BS was 147.7. Those were with the Epic Max LS. I got up to 150 BS with the Sim2 but that was on center hit. Rest was not so good. Average CHS with the Callaway was 105 and average BS was 145-146. I was at almost 108 inside before I went out in the cold. Carry was around 230 with total 250 and he set the flight scope to medium conditions as far as course dryness with the temp set at what it was outside. Fitter told me he believed that I could hit 150 ball speed for sure when I was fully warmed up and temp was up.

Sounds like you had a great experience today, congrats on the new driver!

That's a big change in shafts! Curious to see the numbers once you're able to repost.
I can’t get them to not be blurry. Not sure what’s going on. So one thing I left out was after the fitting the fitter set up the apex pro 21 7 iron with the PX LZ 105 6.0 where I’m in a 95 right now same shaft and it was a match made in heaven. I was hitting it better than my current standard apex 19s. Fitter said when I come back he will put me on flight scope to get numbers if I want just to get more confirmation but he said if it was that good he suspects he won’t have to say much haha. So at some point those irons with the PX LZ 105 6.0 4-GW will be going in my bag! He’s going to figure out what the out the door price would be with trade in so when I can order I know.

So just got a call from the fitter with a little disappointing news. The shaft I was fit in is on back order, so driver won’t be in until mid to late March. Fitter said I could come back and we could see if another shaft worked, but said he didn’t recommend forcing a shaft just to get it quicker and I agreed.

Back