Turkey Time - How you rollin'?!

I am going a different route this year. Smoking a ham and ribs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brine bird over night. Make a herb compound butter. Smother the outside of the turkey in the butter, spread butter between the skin and meat, stuff the cavity with cut lemons. Put chopped onions, carrots, and celery in the bottom of the roasting pan. Add about a 1/2 qt of chicken stock to the pan. Place turkey in the pan with no lid. Preheat oven to 425. Turkey goes in for 1 hour. Make an aluminum foil bra to keep the turkey breast from over cooking. Lower temp to 325. Finish at 15 min per pound.

My wife makes a killer turkey in the oven. Some Martha Stewart recipe with white wine and butter. I smoke a ham with a recipe from amazingribs.com

We have ground turkey meat at the fire station because its easy and quick to cook. It's one of our busiest days of the year, so turkey chili in the crockpot is the go to.

We have ground turkey meat at the fire station because its easy and quick to cook. It's one of our busiest days of the year, so turkey chili in the crockpot is the go to.
I can imagine the stories you could tell here.

Thanksgiving is about a week away and many birds will be smoked, roasted, brined, fried, rubbed, slow cooked, grilled and/or a combinated of all the above! I know others have been thinking about it already but this begs to be asked: How you rollin' this year with the big bird? I'll get it going:

Smo-Fry Turkey

Technique - Brined turkey into the Rec Tec smoker at 225 degrees. Using a mix of pecan and hickory pellets. Smoke usually a couple of hours till the breast reads 130ish. I injected last year but going with brining this year since I'm smoking it 80% of the way there. Fry it the rest of the way (usually 10-15 minutes) till we're home.

Big fan of Meat Church so thinking on using their Honey Hog and/or Holy Cow for the rub. Little sweet for the smoke then the Holy Cow combo for the salt/peper fry? We'll see.......

16 pounder from Market Street. I like to go smaller but have a few more guests this year and want enough for leftovers!

So what are the turkey masters out there thinking about doing this year? Share your techniques and process and Let's Go!

Copier

Taylor??

giphy.gif

It's almost Thanksgiving.....hard not to be doing well!

Next year I need to add the trash can smoker to the equation....maybe?!

abd7b16e86ac41798cb513a4e13bf1c1--camping-cooking-outdoor-cooking.jpg

Beautiful haha.

I will say smoke/fried turkey is the best way to do it by far.

I will say smoke/fried turkey is the best way to do it by far.
If your dad would have just shared his secrets to his #SmoFry it would have saved me a lot of time time and testing.

I've had to test and retest my meth

If your dad would have just shared his secrets to his #SmoFry it would have saved me a lot of time time and testing.

He is taking those to the grave my friend

I brine my turkey in apple cider for 24hrs then smoke it for about 8-10 hours with a combo of apple and hickory wood.

No clue. Going to my oldest daughter's house. There will be a turkey prepared somehow but I am hoping there is an alternative meat as well. Not a fan of turkey and luckily for me her boyfriend is not either so I would think I may have options. Hoping for red meat. Any red meat!
For Christmas dinner last year, I asked some of the family about adding a prime rib roast to the menu. It was not taken well.

I'll be quartering the turkey, cooking in the sous vide for 18ish hours, and then finishing on a grill or smoker. I did sous vide and oven last year and it was great, but fighting for oven time was a PITA.

Thanksgiving is about a week away and many birds will be smoked, roasted, brined, fried, rubbed, slow cooked, grilled and/or a combinated of all the above! I know others have been thinking about it already but this begs to be asked: How you rollin' this year with the big bird? I'll get it going:

Smo-Fry Turkey

Technique - Brined turkey into the Rec Tec smoker at 225 degrees. Using a mix of pecan and hickory pellets. Smoke usually a couple of hours till the breast reads 130ish. I injected last year but going with brining this year since I'm smoking it 80% of the way there. Fry it the rest of the way (usually 10-15 minutes) till we're home.

Big fan of Meat Church so thinking on using their Honey Hog and/or Holy Cow for the rub. Little sweet for the smoke then the Holy Cow combo for the salt/peper fry? We'll see.......

16 pounder from Market Street. I like to go smaller but have a few more guests this year and want enough for leftovers!

So what are the turkey masters out there thinking about doing this year? Share your techniques and process and Let's Go!

that sounds excellent

I'm brining with a ho-made concoction Thursday for a Rectec smoke session Friday for a 3pm lunch

generally do 275° to 145° then crank to 400° til done

Smo-Fry Turkey

The new Meat church Voodoo is so good on poultry. Brined and smoked a chicken Tuesday. It's a little sweet with good heat in the end. Definitely worth a try after Thanksgiving.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Might be the first year we spend thanksgiving by ourselves - wife, son and myself. So the menu is up for debate so far but likely I’d bake my own turkey, mashed potato casserole of some sort, stuffing or dressing (same thing right?), and maybe carrot cake for dessert?

Ok I’m hungry now....

For Christmas dinner last year, I asked some of the family about adding a prime rib roast to the menu. It was not taken well.

I understand. I'm not asking either (20 years of marriage has taught me a couple of things) but am hoping for the best.

The new Meat church Voodoo is so good on poultry. Brined and smoked a chicken Tuesday. It's a little sweet with good heat in the end. Definitely worth a try after Thanksgiving.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Will try it!

I am going to dry brine and smoke. I'm going to put salt and a little rub on the turkey the night before and wrap in plastic wrap. The next day I will clean that off, inject a honey/poultry injection, then melt some butter and mix that with my rub and put it all over the bird, making sure to get between the skin and the breast as well. Then I will stuff the cavity with apple, onion and some fresh herbs. I plan to smoke at 300-325 until about 150-155 degrees, and then bake in the over at 425 until it's done (the baking is to get crispy skin at the end).

I am just doing two bone-in turkey breasts, no one here eats the dark meat so no reason to cook a whole turkey.

I'm smoking a whole turkey on my Yoder, and my brother is smoking one his Traeger. May the best man win. Who the hell does not like dark meat? What is wrong with you?

I'm smoking a whole turkey on my Yoder, and my brother is smoking one his Traeger. May the best man win. Who the hell does not like dark meat? What is wrong with you?

Dark meat the day after on white bread & mayo is pretty hard to beat.

Back