TW Nike Free Golf shoes.

Was in the car most of today and had on SXM PGA Tour Network on almost the whole time. Brian Katrek played an interview he did recently with the Chief Designer for Nike who worked with TW on the Free 13. It was very interesting on how involved Tiger was in the process and how much they thought about when designing it. He mentioned it was 4 ounces lighter than a previous Nike shoe (which seems like a lot), but I'm not sure if that was the Lunar Control.

I wonder if they sent out samples to product testers or just stuck with Tiger. There's a site where you can sign up to become a product tester for Nike, but the thing is for shoes, I think you have to be either a size 9 or 12-14 because those are the only sizes they make the samples in.

They are so very different. I wore these out for a little while and I dont think they are for me. I cant get over the tongue of the shoe rubbing against my shin (lower shin) every move I make.

It does feel wierd but I forgot about it after a few holes, So far it hasn't caused any rawness or blisters. I did get another blister on the achilles walking with these though.

I have an honest question for people that have these or are thinking of buying them. If they said Sergio Garcia on the side or were just another release would you be wearing them? I mean this as a genuine question because I am struggling here. I have read through this entire thread and I understand that they are a polarizing product based on the look and it seems as though those that bought them or are buying them are largely the fans of Mr. Woods. Again, this is not a knock on the person or the product, just genuinely curious.

I have tried on a lot of shoes over the past few years and some would say I own a few pairs of golf shoes as well. I am not sure I have worn a shoe that is worse than these and struggle with the entire thing. I understand the technology behind them. I truly do. However just the feel alone has this "paperish" feel to it rather than soft and supple as I believe it should and the toe area wrinkles with in about 2 days. Add to that the heel slippage that seems like it would cause achilles blisters for half the people wearing it due to what seems like a higher back/achilles area. Its not a huge slip, and rather subtle, so it would be hard to notice the first time trying them on I think. Plus the tongue poking out almost a full inch past anything else out there and rubbing against your shin. Now the foot bed is quite comfortable and there is plenty of toe room which is nice, especially those with wide feet. I also like the way they look in person compared to just the pics we have seen. However I am struggling greatly with these definite flaws. These are not flaws that one could say "well everybody is different" in my opinion. These are easy fixable flaws that should have been handled.

I believe right now that Nike puts out some of the best golf shoes in the world and am so surprised at these that I still almost feel like I am missing something. Im genuinely curious with my original question, but in my mind I think that if these were a Paul Casey shoe or a Stephen Ames shoe, nobody thinks twice about buying them if they try them on.

Good post. Kool aid is a powerful thing around these parts. I think these shoes are fugly. Plus I would never want TW shoes, but that's just me.

Good post. Kool aid is a powerful thing around these parts. I think these shoes are fugly. Plus I would never want TW shoes, but that's just me.

Definitely fugly! However, I also think the ECCO shoes are fugly. I'll stick to standard golf shoes.

I agree. I think Ecco's are fugly too. I've owned a couple of pairs of Nike's in the past and durability was turrible.

I've had no problem with durability and Nike golf shoes.

I agree. I think Ecco's are fugly too. I've owned a couple of pairs of Nike's in the past and durability was turrible.

The eccos may not be the best looking, but they are pretty comfortable for me. Adidas adicross look better, but they feel awful IMO.

Oddly enough, do you think these shoes would sell better without TW on them? Only reason I ask is because without TW on them I bet the price would be more in the range of majority of those other street shoe styles.

I have yet to try these on, but if they are comfortable and good to walk in I will consider the black pair. I'm more for comfort than for looks. Of course I'd wait for the price to come down because I'm cheap like that.

You say the same about Winn grips. You probably don't wear your Nike's for every range session or round either. When I owned mine, they were all I had. They didn't last a season.

I've never worn ecco's so I only base my thoughts on them based on how they look. I could care less though to be honest. At least they look like golf shoes. These Nike's look like something LeBron would wear in Game 2.

I've had great luck with the Nike TW model in the past, despite others not. I think I have had 2 pairs? I think this shoe is great in theory, not-go-great in the execution of it's goal. I think if they stick with it, a version or two down the road it will be great...or some other shoe OEM will take the idea and execute it.

This is all based on a 90 second in store walk around, though. They look a little funny imo, but not funny enough that I would not wear them if they felt like heaven.

I have an honest question for people that have these or are thinking of buying them. If they said Sergio Garcia on the side or were just another release would you be wearing them? I mean this as a genuine question because I am struggling here. I have read through this entire thread and I understand that they are a polarizing product based on the look and it seems as though those that bought them or are buying them are largely the fans of Mr. Woods. Again, this is not a knock on the person or the product, just genuinely curious.

I have tried on a lot of shoes over the past few years and some would say I own a few pairs of golf shoes as well. I am not sure I have worn a shoe that is worse than these and struggle with the entire thing. I understand the technology behind them. I truly do. However just the feel alone has this "paperish" feel to it rather than soft and supple as I believe it should and the toe area wrinkles with in about 2 days. Add to that the heel slippage that seems like it would cause achilles blisters for half the people wearing it due to what seems like a higher back/achilles area. Its not a huge slip, and rather subtle, so it would be hard to notice the first time trying them on I think. Plus the tongue poking out almost a full inch past anything else out there and rubbing against your shin. Now the foot bed is quite comfortable and there is plenty of toe room which is nice, especially those with wide feet. I also like the way they look in person compared to just the pics we have seen. However I am struggling greatly with these definite flaws. These are not flaws that one could say "well everybody is different" in my opinion. These are easy fixable flaws that should have been handled.

I believe right now that Nike puts out some of the best golf shoes in the world and am so surprised at these that I still almost feel like I am missing something. Im genuinely curious with my original question, but in my mind I think that if these were a Paul Casey shoe or a Stephen Ames shoe, nobody thinks twice about buying them if they try them on.

The eccos may not be the best looking, but they are pretty comfortable for me. Adidas adicross look better, but they feel awful IMO.

Oddly enough, do you think these shoes would sell better without TW on them? Only reason I ask is because without TW on them I bet the price would be more in the range of majority of those other street shoe styles.

I have yet to try these on, but if they are comfortable and good to walk in I will consider the black pair. I'm more for comfort than for looks. Of course I'd wait for the price to come down because I'm cheap like that.

Look up ddec.

Im wondering if these Nikes you had were from the last 2 years? The last couple of years, I think the Nike shoes have been some of the best around. Their newer lines seem to really focus on what the golfer wants, rather than trying to bring what the style wants to a golfers needs.

Nope the Nike's I owned were around 3 to 4 years ago.

I've lusted after these shoes since the PGA. I was one of the few and still am
amongst my friends. If Ames had been wearing, no way! Casey and other staffers yes. TW makes you sit up and take notice so in away that may have influenced me in the beginning. Although I have been a fan for years and these will be my first pair of TW shoes and only my second TW branded product.
I'm a huge fan of Nike golf shoes, always have been so buying these is me buying another pair of Nikes.

I've lusted after these shoes since the PGA. I was one of the few and still am
amongst my friends. If Ames had been wearing, no way! Casey and other staffers yes. TW makes you sit up and take notice so in away that may have influenced me in the beginning. Although I have been a fan for years and these will be my first pair of TW shoes and only my second TW branded product.
I'm a huge fan of Nike golf shoes, always have been so buying these is me buying another pair of Nikes.

Thanks for the info FK. As I said, I am genuinely looking for thoughts on the question, because like you, at the show I was pretty enamored. However after wearing these for a little bit, I am just sitting here wondering "how".

Good point JB, but that point could be made for any product that's endorsed by Tiger. It adds instant credibility to the shoe.

That being said, the Nike Free has been around for a while and people seem to love them. If the golf shoe is anywhere near as good as the sneaker I think it'll be a good seller. Like ddec, if they're comfortable and turn out to be durable, I'll most likely buy a pair once the price come down, and I'd feel the same regardless of them being stamped with TW.

Until your thoughts I was dead set on getting the black one and probably still will but it make me wonder. Another pair of Lunar Controls might be a more prudent purchase....Or wait for the next crop of new shoes to hit the market

Sup baller!!

You wearing your LBJ's or your Dr. J's today?

My slip on's. How those wing tips treating you?

Until your thoughts I was dead set on getting the black one and probably still will but it make me wonder. Another pair of Lunar Controls might be a more prudent purchase....Or wait for the next crop of new shoes to hit the market

You know I love me some LCs. I still say dollar for dollar, they are the best golf shoe on the market in terms of quality and comfort. Im sitting in my house at 7:30am not planning on going anywhere for a few hours and I am wearing these shoes. Im trying to figure them out, but just cannot. The tongue thing is the weirdest thing on a golf shoe I have ever seen. "Lets see, if we put a non-functional thing here on the top that stretches all the way out to the leg with each step, that sounds good. Maybe we could make sure that the part that is worthless has the logo on it, so it cannot be cut off without looking even weirder. Perfect".

You know I love me some LCs. I still say dollar for dollar, they are the best golf shoe on the market in terms of quality and comfort. Im sitting in my house at 7:30am not planning on going anywhere for a few hours and I am wearing these shoes. Im trying to figure them out, but just cannot. The tongue thing is the weirdest thing on a golf shoe I have ever seen. "Lets see, if we put a non-functional thing here on the top that stretches all the way out to the leg with each step, that sounds good. Maybe we could make sure that the part that is worthless has the logo on it, so it cannot be cut off without looking even weirder. Perfect".

Maybe with the tongue they are only meant to be worn with long socks and pants.....you know.....just like Tiger wears them.

Maybe with the tongue they are only meant to be worn with long socks and pants.....you know.....just like Tiger wears them.

You might be right Cookie. In that fashion, they would not be "as" bad. It would be hard to understand a release like that, but then again, its hard to understand this release in general, so its possible.

I could care less who's name is on he side I don't hate or love tiger. I think these shoes are also innovative which is why I was so excited about them. I love the Nike air max running shoes which have the same sides as the frees pretty much. As for the tongue it is different and I agree that part of the shoe prob could have been designed better but they do have padding there and I don't believe it's gonna rub me raw or anything I didn't even notice it when I wore these although for a very short time. I didn't have any slippage issues and I thought they were comfortable. I'm really surprised you don't like these JB. As for TCs fugly comments. These are that type of shoe that you are gonna think look good or will think they are fugly. I am worried about the wrinkle issue a little bit but mine sneakers have done the same and it hasn't been bad. I guess time will tell. Like I said your "flaws" could have been fixed or built differently but it's not like Nike rushed these out so I'm curious as to why they left the tongue the way it is. But to me it hasnt been anywhere close to an issue where I wouldn't wear the shoes. I also think the support these give me are surprising for how light the materials are.

I think the fact that they are TW's caused me to take a harder look at them than I usually would, but it's because I've had some pretty good success with the TW's in the past, heck I've had great success with Nike golf shoes period. Since becoming a member here I have been branching out of my comfort zone and trying a ton of things golf wise I ordinarily wouldn't even consider, so I can't say I'm biased regarding shoes, I have adidas, FJ, and Nike shoes. But yeah to your question, I looked at them harder because they were TW's based on past or current shoes I own or owned.

The tongue thing doesn't bother me at all, but getting a blister higher up on my achilles with these pisses me off, it's high enough where my adidas rub the bottom of it and it makes it bigger lol. The flip side is that they are really comfortable for me in the toe and bottom area of the foot, and that's where my feet usually hurt after playing. I hope they make a few rolling changes as they go on (that's why I haven't gotten the black ones yet).

Buck, I'm wondering if maybe my shoes are different. The padding of the tongue on mine stops about an inch from the top. Ironically where perhaps the tongue should stop. In this picture that little line is where the padding stops completely. Then its just a thin little piece of "tongue".

a6937b1b-cf3e-439e.jpg

Back