TW Nike Free Golf shoes.

As quoted before, i believe these were designed to be worn with long socks. As they have to conform to club rules around the world. The clubs in the UK require you to wear long WHITE socks if playing in shorts.

I really dont believe that to be the case. While they might be more comfortable that way, knowing Nike and their releases, I would be absolutely shocked if they designed a TW shoe that required long socks. While that may be the end result, I do not believe they intended it to be that way.

Still one of the best and lightest shoes I've ever worn on the course. They really do look awesome with shorts, surprisingly even the black ones.

Played my first round with these today. All I can say is wow. What an awesome pair of shoes. I had no problem with the tongue or heel. The balance these shoes give you during your swing is amazing. I feel like I gained a 1/2 club per shot and my accuracy definately was better. sounds crazy I know. I will be playing 18 tomorrow and sunday and I will report back

i wore these for 9 again today and they felt amazing i wore low cut socks and i had zero of the issues JB was talking about with the rubbing. i have low cut and no show socks and the ones i wore today were pretty much the lowest cut socks ill wear. i really do think the high tongue is so the laces don't run up and rub your ankle. i am still blown away by how these hug your feet and give you great support. i like these more and more every time i wear them... did have 2 dirt creases today in the toes but they should wipe right off i just didn't have time to wipe them down after my round. here are some pics i took

the tongue isn't much longer than where the laces are tied at as you can see here in this pic although they still do seem a little higher than they should be.
IMG_1356.jpg

from the back my socks still are higher than the heals of the shoes. so no rubbing there either for me.
IMG_1357.jpg

Thanks Buck. Here is my question. Do you have any other shoes where the laces run on your ankles? I cant think of any that I do, but I might be wrong.

And it could be the photography, but I am looking at your picture and isnt the tongue resting right against your shin?

We did a quick test and took GG and put my shoes on her (obviously not the proper size) and the tongue left a small indent in her shin. Now I dont think the tongue will rub someone raw or cause harm, its just something that adds to a slight level of discomfort for me. Maybe its too harsh, but when you try on as many shoes as I do, when you get in this price range, I dont want any discomfort.

This thread has been pretty awesome! I still want these shoes

Thanks Buck. Here is my question. Do you have any other shoes where the laces run on your ankles? I cant think of any that I do, but I might be wrong.

And it could be the photography, but I am looking at your picture and isnt the tongue resting right against your shin?

We did a quick test and took GG and put my shoes on her (obviously not the proper size) and the tongue left a small indent in her shin. Now I dont think the tongue will rub someone raw or cause harm, its just something that adds to a slight level of discomfort for me. Maybe its too harsh, but when you try on as many shoes as I do, when you get in this price range, I dont want any discomfort.

No i don't, i have the adipures right now and a pair of the lunar controls and i just sold a pair of Puma cell fusions. so i don't have any other pair that the laces run onto my ankle but heres why i personally think they are that high. these are very light weight and the sides are just like that "pleather" material for the most part and another layer of something underneath of that so i think running the laces up higher is the reason youre getting good support from these shoes. in all honesty i thought these would be so much worse with ankle support and they aren't they really feel like they are hugging my feet. and i think cause the laces come up so high that thats why i feel these have the support i need in a golf shoe. and why i never felt good support in almost every other sneaker golf shoe i've tried on. my socks come up to my balls on the outside and inside of my ankle if that helps and the tongue does come up right above that so i guess that would be my shin but its not really rubbing especially because its such a thin material it just bends up my ankle/shin. maybe i have taller feet or something im not sure. i honestly dunno why its uncomfortable for you and its fine for me i like to know my ankles are secure maybe its my ice hockey side coming out where i want my ankles to be locked in place more. but i completely agree that with the price on these although i feel is a very fair price if they are uncomfortable and i bought them i would be upset about it. And you also know better than anyone peoples feet are different i have 2 different size feet and thats an issue for me sometimes. and although i like the looks of Puma shoes i can never wear them although i keep trying to make them work they just dont.

I truly am glad they are working for you. I have a few more rounds to play in them and I am desperately hoping that I start getting the same reactions as you. There is nothing better than really comfy golf shoes.

I truly am glad they are working for you. I have a few more rounds to play in them and I am desperately hoping that I start getting the same reactions as you. There is nothing better than really comfy golf shoes.

its tough with the Champ Testing. but ive been playing 27 holes lately with 9 in these and every time i like them more and more. Maybe try a round with higher socks. just not no show socks but still low cut. although i also agree with you that these weren't made for higher socks i think they would look really bad with high socks. but thats just me.

A walked another 9 in these too today with a bit of a higher sock, and again I love them. They feel so good on the feet while walking a round. I'm not so sure that if they were cut a little lower they would offer the same support and stability you get from them. I brought my Lunar Trainers and hit a couple balls with them at the range, and even though they were really comfortable, I did not feel stable on the left side, especially around the ankle. I agree whole heartedly about them being expensive and having certain issues with functionality or design, But for some reason can overlook it on these. Not sure why, I think they're just that comfortable.

Last edited:
I will be disappointed if I try these on (size 14) when they come out and that darn tongue ruins them for me.

I wore low cut socks today and the tongue didn't really bother me so I was glad to know that I don't have to wear slightly higher socks. The tongue reminds me of the ones on the AirMax 12. Again, I have nothing but good to say about the shoes after (3) 18 holes round. :)

Is the main benefit of these a more grounded feeling during the swing or just more comfortable to walk in? I ride a cart most of the time and wear either DryJoys or Nike Zoom Trophy's, but I've hit some wedges in the backyard barefooted recently and like the feeling.

My white pair have arrived today, I eventually decided to go 1/2 size bigger and glad that I did. They really are a comfy snug fit with great stability.
Best golf shoe I have owned since I started playing 9 years ago.

I'm sure TW himself would say, "What's wrong with a little tongue?". :D

I was mistaken about the tongue on the shoes I tried on, it's the same. I tried them on and the tongue touched just above my ankle.
I also tried on ATVs, lunar controls, Ascics, puma and adicross....non of the tongues even came close to touching. I'm not sure why the tongue is so long but it seems to be and I can't tell what purpose it serves but it is in fact longer.

I was mistaken about the tongue on the shoes I tried on, it's the same. I tried them on and the tongue touched just above my ankle.
I also tried on ATVs, lunar controls, Ascics, puma and adicross....non of the tongues even came close to touching. I'm not sure why the tongue is so long but it seems to be and I can't tell what purpose it serves but it is in fact longer.

I can only think of one purpose....To effin drive me crazy. It drives me mad while hitting balls and even more mad when for a second it stops rubbing and then starts again.

I can only think of one purpose....To effin drive me crazy. It drives me mad while hitting balls and even more mad when for a second it stops rubbing and then starts again.

The extra length does nothing as far as I can tell and maybe should be reduced on future productions of the shoe.

What's interesting is that my Jordan's have a long tongue that touches just above my ankle. All this for his stupid TW logo

The extra length does nothing as far as I can tell and maybe should be reduced on future productions of the shoe.

i still think its because of where the laces are. for me they are high up on my foot. anyway they havn't caused any rubbing per say that i've really noticed. but i havn't been wearing them much due to the Champ Testing.

JB did you reach out to anyone from Nike to get an explanation?

I have the NIKE Free TR (trainers) very similar build to the TW 13 and the tongue is normal and they are freak'n comfortable.

I spoke with Dennis at Blind9 and my 11.5 are a very tough size so I have to wait until August. Gonna have to search rthe stores for my size. I can't wait that long.

I have the NIKE Free TR (trainers) very similar build to the TW 13 and the tongue is normal and they are freak'n comfortable.

I spoke with Dennis at Blind9 and my 11.5 are a very tough size so I have to wait until August. Gonna have to search rthe stores for my size. I can't wait that long.

freddie if i see any ill let you know i know a small shop that had a couple last time i was there. if they have your size ill let you know.

Back